Saints V Leicester (A)

St Chalet

A push in the back when contesting a cross is a foul. See Morgan's own comments post match.

Name me a manager that wouldn't have a moan about refereeing after our last three games?

I couldn't care less what other managers say/do. I care about what our one says and does. I'd like him to rise above referee decisions, look at the bigger picture of the game as a whole and base his comments on that instead

I couldn't care less what other managers say/do. I care about what our one says and does. I'd like him to rise above referee decisions, look at the bigger picture of the game as a whole and base his comments on that instead
So you expect our manager to act differently to any other manager in the league?

Even though he's already probably one of the calmest, most level-headed around that is hardly ever critical of referees?

So you expect our manager to act differently to any other manager in the league?

Even though he's already probably one of the calmest, most level-headed around that is hardly ever critical of referees?

He is normally, he wasn't yesterday. Bertand gave a much better interview

If we'd had a goal disallowed for the Morgan 'push' on Clasie, I'd be livid. It's not a foul, just a mis-match. The Austin/Huth shout was not on target and there was no chance of anyone getting on the end of it anyway at that pace. Mane declined to pass the ball into the open goal in just the same way Simpson did for them later. We got what we deserved from yesterday. Having the better of the play does not equate to deserving to win - thank god. we dominated for large periods and created almost nothing. Leicester had better chances.

Which suggests it was an exceptional reaction, to a significantly bad run of decisions.

I just find it incredibly boring and tedious to hear managers moaning about tight refereeing calls rather than their team's lack of ability in any given game. We were one dimensional and boring going forward, maybe he should talk about why Pelle starts every game or why we play with 8 defensive outfield players on the pitch

What does that even mean? Can you explain Morgan's comments after the game?

He said he put his arm across him but thought it was a clean challenge. i don't know what Morgan means, but watching it live and in replays, I have no idea where this supposed foul took place

I just find it incredibly boring and tedious to hear managers moaning about tight refereeing calls rather than their team's lack of ability in any given game. We were one dimensional and boring going forward, maybe he should talk about why Pelle starts every game or why we play with 8 defensive outfield players on the pitch
Koeman's post-match comments are shaped around your entertainment needs.

If we'd had a goal disallowed for the Morgan 'push' on Clasie, I'd be livid. It's not a foul, just a mis-match. The Austin/Huth shout was not on target and there was no chance of anyone getting on the end of it anyway at that pace. Mane declined to pass the ball into the open goal in just the same way Simpson did for them later. We got what we deserved from yesterday. Having the better of the play does not equate to deserving to win - thank god. we dominated for large periods and created almost nothing. Leicester had better chances.

A push is a foul, plain and simple. Not a "mis-match." Hand ball is hand ball where ever the ball might end up. Just because Mane effed it up it doesn't mean that the hand ball should not have been given. Yes Leicester had the better chances but you win games on goals not chances and there is a fair shout that theirs should have been chalked off and that we should have had one or maybe two pens.

Strange game, i thought we were comfortable; Mahrez was kept quiet. If Mane had scored would have been a different game. We lacked a cutting edge in the final third. Too many poor crosses into the box. Can't believe I am saying this, but if this was part of RoKo's gameplan then surprised JWP didn't start.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

There's not a manager in the League that wouldn't have a moan after our last three games of refereeing decisions. Koeman is generally pretty reasonable when it comes to talking about refs and their errors.

Last 3? It starter with Wanyama seeing red against west ham.... and its been every game... potential game changing decision in each at least.

I'm not judging anything, I'm stating facts.

So was i when pointing out he only comes on to slag sfc off when we lose...

But in your mind it`s only allowed if you say so...Shall we ask the moderators to let you censor/edit my posts then?:rolleyes:

Look! Just jog on, mind your own business and take your clipboard with you

So was i when pointing out he only comes on to slag sfc off when we lose...

But in your mind it`s only allowed if you say so...Shall we ask the moderators to let you censor/edit my posts then?:rolleyes:

Look! Just jog on, mind your own business and take your clipboard with you

I made no noises about allowing anything. I simply stated that you're incredibly dull and repetitive droning on and on and coming across as a bit thick. You've already said you're going to continue to do it regardless so I'll keep pointing it out no matter if you tell me to mind my own business or not (the forum is the business of everyone who posts on it).

FWIW Graham Poll said neither of ours were pens in his opinion and both were not intentional and hands were not in unnatural positions.

He also said its hard to judge and there have been some poor handball decisions given this season.

I agree tbh. Neither was blatant hand to ball. You don't deserve a pen for smashing the ball at someone from 3 or 4 yards. What is the player meant to do, cut their arm off?

FWIW Graham Poll said neither of ours were pens in his opinion and both were not intentional and hands were not in unnatural positions.

He also said its hard to judge and there have been some poor handball decisions given this season.

I agree tbh. Neither was blatant hand to ball. You don't deserve a pen for smashing the ball at someone from 3 or 4 yards. What is the player meant to do, cut their arm off?

So having your arm up and elbow move to the ball across your chest is natural?

FWIW I thought both were pens. In both cases, there was movement of the hand. For those who say the movement was to get the hand out of the way of the ball, the question is; "What was it doing there in the first place?" There is a lot of talk about the 'natural position' of the arms and hands and while it is correct to say that if a ball is struck at a player from three or fewer yards away there is insufficient reaction time for him to do anything about it, that argument is rather negated if he has sufficient time to react and pull his arms out of the way.

But apart from that yesterday's game sums up what an unfathomable season this has been, and why we can be both reassured and frustrated.

Here's a statement that will provoke debate.

Leicester aren't all that good.

They are top of the table and the table never lies. They are there because they have the most points, and they have that total by having won the most games, and nobody can argue they don't deserve to be there.

You don't get to lead any table by seven points through luck, but Leicester have taken advantage of a set of exceptional circumstances.

They are leading the table in a season when the traditional giants have thankfully been unusually poor and equally thankfully, paid the price for their poor recruitment last summer (especially Man City and Chelsea).

Leicester perhaps gained some fortune in playing certain teams when they were out of form (although having said that, Leicester's own form has hardly dipped this season) and raised their game when they needed to against teams who might turn out to be rivals and some might say that's the sign of a good team.

Equally, they have learned to grind out results when they perhaps don't deserve them. I don't think for one minute we are the only team to have played Leicester this season and come away shaking our heads that we should have got something from a game that we bossed for large parts, but ended up losing.

They have been pretty fortunate with injuries and you can only speculate what might have been had they been deprived of Vardy or Mahrez for long spells this season.

Most of their success can be down to the fact the sum is better than their parts.

Ask yourself a simple and honest question. how many of their players would you individually want in our team?

Vardy, perhaps and Mahrez, but would Albrighton get in ahead of any of our midfielders? Are Simpson and Fuchs better than Cedric, Bertrand or Targett? Would you take Morgan and Huth over VVD and Fonte? Ulloa over Pelle, Long or Austin?

That might (and I only say might) be evidenced that you don't see as much speculation linking their players with top clubs as you do ours. Could it be that most people realise that this is Leicester's season in the sun, that they are unlikely to continue it next season and that their players - while fitting in as part of an effective unit - are not hugely bankable?

If this sounds like a bit of sour grapes it's because that in making the bold statement that Leicester aren't that good, it only serves to underline how much we have underperformed this season.

When I watch Leicester and what they have done this season, I constantly ask myself; "Why isn't it us?"

Again, you look on paper, and we have a stronger squad and better players than they do. But football isn't played on paper.

In looking to ascribe reasons why it is Leicester and not us who are top of the table, this is not a criticism of Koeman. Be honest, how many of us at the start of the season would have taken Ranieri over Koeman if we were offered a swap? Not many, I would suggest.

All of which leaves me grinding my teeth in annoyance that it is Leicester who are top of the table and not us, and like most people in the country, still scratching my head as to why.

At the start of the season, how many of us would have preferred Ranieri over Koeman?

I made no noises about allowing anything. I simply stated that you're incredibly dull and repetitive droning on and on and coming across as a bit thick. You've already said you're going to continue to do it regardless so I'll keep pointing it out no matter if you tell me to mind my own business or not (the forum is the business of everyone who posts on it).

:lol:

Exactly It is the business of everyone who posts, as you say but you complain about mine...bit contradictory or it is it you who are thick...i think so

Your and your opinion of me is a complete irelevance , sorry if your policing is not working :p... perhaps you should take your acceptable posting criteria clipboard elsewhere to someone who

might bow down to you..or actually gives a toss what you say...

I do look forward to some more of your "stop that you naughty boy" posts as they are funny

When I watch Leicester and what they have done this season, I constantly ask myself; "Why isn't it us?"

Again, you look on paper, and we have a stronger squad and better players than they do. But football isn't played on paper.

We may have a stronger squad (debatable) but they have a better first 11 no question. We don't have a player like Mahrez, Vardy, or Kante. Kante was all over the pitch yesterday. I only wish Wanyama was as athletic, but sadly he's a lump. Watch him. You'll hardly ever see him sprint.

Tadic is a lazy so and so who lets players drift past him into dangerous positions which nearly cost us another goal yesterday.

Vardy's movement and pace puts Pelle to shame, but that's apples and oranges. Perhaps Vardy v Long is a more apt comparison. I'd say Vardy's a better finisher.

We're a decent side but at the moment I don't know what our strongest team is, and I don't think Koeman does either. The team doesn't really pick itself and that says a lot. Too much inconsistency.

Interesting piece about Leicester and the way they play, written by Danny Higginbotham back in November but still relevant now: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/how-pace-patience-and-the-long-pass-have-taken-leicester-to-the-pinnacle-writes-danny-higginbotham-a6751946.html

Edited by Webby
added a link

If we want to progress into the top 6, I think we can improve in 4/5 positions easily.

1) RB- We had a quality one in Clyne, but nonetheless Cedric is IMO poor offensively and Martina is poor defensively :/

Having said that, I am hoping Cedric improves with this season under his belt.

2) AM- Davis, not enough goals or assists really. Adequate substitute, but a Payet, Coutinho, Mahrez would've been what we need. Mane potentially one but too off form for now.

3) CM- Again, we had one in Morgan, but Clasie not imposing enough yet.

4) ST- someone that moves- I have hope with Austin however, so not immediately asking us to buy one.

5) If Mane plays at No. 10, then we need a RM too. Davis/JWP too slow for the position, and not threatening enough.

Forster

Cedric VVD Fonte Bertrand

Wanyama CM

RM Mane JayRod

Austin/Long

I just find it incredibly boring and tedious to hear managers moaning about tight refereeing calls rather than their team's lack of ability in any given game.

I agree with this.

Players make many more mistakes in games than refs, but managers never admit it was perhaps those that caused the team to lose. They also don't admit that they have made mistakes. It's just the refs that are to blame for defeats.

The fact is you win some, you lose some. We have been on the right side of plenty of decisions in the last few years. There is no need to start crying now.

So having your arm up and elbow move to the ball across your chest is natural?

I'd say yes. You effectively flinch and bring you arms into protect your body. Lets look at it the other way, say Mane shot again straight at Simpson's chest and he moved his arms outwards, backwards or upwards (whatever way you want to describe opposite to what he did) wouldn't have that have been a totally unnatural movement?

Here's a statement that will provoke debate. Leicester aren't all that good...
yes, very interesting debate.

...I don't think for one minute we are the only team to have played Leicester this season and come away shaking our heads that we should have got something from a game that we bossed for large parts, but ended up losing.
...like when we took United apart yet they still won the league at a canter? Title winning teams don't always run the rest ragged. They sometimes win well (like Leicester did at Man City), they sometimes do just enough. For a few weeks now Leicester have been hanging on a bit, but earlier they were tearing some teams apart. They are obviously a counter attacking team because they have players of lessor ability than some other teams, which shows how important team work and tactics can be (so long as you have some genuine quality in the side). It also shows how poor the tactics have been from teams facing them.

Ask yourself a simple and honest question. how many of their players would you individually want in our team? Vardy, perhaps and Mahrez, but would Albrighton get in ahead of any of our midfielders? Are Simpson and Fuchs better than Cedric, Bertrand or Targett? Would you take Morgan and Huth over VVD and Fonte? Ulloa over Pelle, Long or Austin?
Kante, Drinkwater, Vardey and Mahrez please. Kante has been amazing and I really have been impressed with Drinkwater. Not yesterday but in other games. He is very progressive, always looking forward for a pass. I'd have him in my England squad.

That might (and I only say might) be evidenced that you don't see as much speculation linking their players with top clubs as you do ours.
Vardey (has) and Kante and Marhrez will be linked to moves. You have a point though. You'd expect more players to be desirable. Wonder how many of Leeds and Blackburn teams Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal wanted the summer after they won titles?

very good question and one every single owner/chairman should and will be asking their manager. Raneiri has made it very difficult for other managers to hide behind the available funds argument. Edited by Chez

Kante, Drinkwater, Vardey and Mahrez please. Kante has been amazing and I really have been impressed with Drinkwater. Not yesterday but in other games. He is very progressive, always looking forward for a pass. I'd have him in my England squad.

Agree with this, i think Leicester are a fair bit braver/more incisive than us in possession. Albrighton and Fuchs hit earlier crosses, Drinkwater looks for early through balls, Mahrez constantly takes on players etc.

The game plan in the first half yesterday is a pretty good way to nullify them, let them have the ball so they can't counter, try to expose their centre backs pace (as with the Mane chance) and double up on Mahrez. But it was hugely reliant on the first goal and once we switched off - great ball in but should have been closed down - we had to chase the game and that played into Leicester's hands.

I'd say yes. You effectively flinch and bring you arms into protect your body. Lets look at it the other way, say Mane shot again straight at Simpson's chest and he moved his arms outwards, backwards or upwards (whatever way you want to describe opposite to what he did) wouldn't have that have been a totally unnatural movement?

But it wasn't any of that he took his elbow to the ball his arm wasn't protecting anything so it was hand ball for me.

If Mane had finished it properly this wouldn't matter anyway .

Poor finishing .

Oh purrrlease.

We can't score a proper goal because we can't finish simple chances or even get enough shots on target so we end up moaning that an unbiased referee doesn't award us an iffy penalty decision because he really wants Leicester to win the title?

We just weren't good enough and didn't want it as much as the other team. We should sort that out before we start clutching at straws in the wind.

Oh purrrlease.

We can't score a proper goal because we can't finish simple chances or even get enough shots on target so we end up moaning that an unbiased referee doesn't award us an iffy penalty decision because he really wants Leicester to win the title?

We just weren't good enough and didn't want it as much as the other team. We should sort that out before we start clutching at straws in the wind.

Agree with the first bit, but completely disagree that we weren't good enough and didn't want it enough. I thought we dominated the match, and probably more than we have any game all season. Leicester just defended well and in numbers and we couldn't get the break we needed. They also had 3 times as many good chances as us, but that's how they play, defend in numbers and catch teams on the break. It was actually one of our best performances.

As for the penalty decisions, I thought it was a red card for Simpson live, have seen it about 20 times since and still can't decide. Can't fault Mane either, repeated slo-mo has shown me that had he not lifted it over the keeper's arm, Schmeichel would have saved it before it even got to Simpson.

Edited by The9

Like any Saints' fan I want us to win every game, although no team ever does that. Did yesterday's result really matter? It probably made no difference to the end-of-season outcome. To be in the top 10 of the Premier League, with no relegation worries is a position that football fans all over the country can only dream of for their team. If we can go into next season with no European involvement to disrupt the preseason preparations I'll be quite content.

The answer to "why isn't it us?" is still mostly down to Leicester's incredible luck with injuries and suspensions. If they'd had anything like the number of players missing that practically every other team has had, they wouldn't be in the equation at all.

Once you get past that, the huge levels of commitment shown by all of their players all of the time is the difference in a season where fine margins have been hugely significant. There's a list as long as your arm of occasions where they could have lost or conceded goals but didn't, and only the Arsenal match bucking that trend.

They've already gone from free-flowing attacking 4-4-2 that people couldn't cope with for a long time because defenders had forgotten how to mark two strikers, to a side which mainly defends with 9 men, never sends the central midfielders forward, and tries to score when opponents over-commit. They're a very solid, very basic side with a load of hard-workers who have benefited from incredible fortune which just NEVER happens.

The answer to "why isn't it us?" is still mostly down to Leicester's incredible luck with injuries and suspensions. If they'd had anything like the number of players missing that practically every other team has had, they wouldn't be in the equation at all.

Once you get past that, the huge levels of commitment shown by all of their players all of the time is the difference in a season where fine margins have been hugely significant. There's a list as long as your arm of occasions where they could have lost or conceded goals but didn't, and only the Arsenal match bucking that trend.

They've already gone from free-flowing attacking 4-4-2 that people couldn't cope with for a long time because defenders had forgotten how to mark two strikers, to a side which mainly defends with 9 men, never sends the central midfielders forward, and tries to score when opponents over-commit. They're a very solid, very basic side with a load of hard-workers who have benefited from incredible fortune which just NEVER happens.

I agree with the injuries thing, but I always moaned about that attitude last year when we were flirting with the top 4, the old 'oh they'll drop off when the injuries hit' (which of course they did for us), but injuries are not guaranteed to happen, and as seen this season they can affect the big 4 as much as anyone (City will tell you that, not that they have an excuse with their squad depth/spending power).

But the point about their style of play has been mentioned a few times in recent weeks on TV, and it's irritating. Chelsea played with 9 men behind the ball all season last year, and it was great tactics supposedly. For me, Leicester are showing they have a plan B and are bloody good at executing it. Around Christmas I was thinking that they are just outscoring the opposition (4-2, 3-2 type of thing), which always results in a rapid slide down the table once the inevitable goal drought arrives, but they have found a perfect plan B in defending solidly whilst still carrying a massive attacking threat. Brilliant, brilliant football from game 1 to game 32, they couldn't be more deserving of the title if they win it and I really hope they do.

With everyone banging on about Mane's "stonewall" penalty shout (whatever the f*ck "stonewall" is supposed to mean), is it lost on everyone that we were lucky not to be playing with ten men for half a game? How that was not a straight red is beyond me.

I agree with the injuries thing, but I always moaned about that attitude last year when we were flirting with the top 4, the old 'oh they'll drop off when the injuries hit' (which of course they did for us), but injuries are not guaranteed to happen, and as seen this season they can affect the big 4 as much as anyone (City will tell you that, not that they have an excuse with their squad depth/spending power).

But the point about their style of play has been mentioned a few times in recent weeks on TV, and it's irritating. Chelsea played with 9 men behind the ball all season last year, and it was great tactics supposedly. For me, Leicester are showing they have a plan B and are bloody good at executing it. Around Christmas I was thinking that they are just outscoring the opposition (4-2, 3-2 type of thing), which always results in a rapid slide down the table once the inevitable goal drought arrives, but they have found a perfect plan B in defending solidly whilst still carrying a massive attacking threat. Brilliant, brilliant football from game 1 to game 32, they couldn't be more deserving of the title if they win it and I really hope they do.

They pretty much ARE always guaranteed to happen. That's why everyone else in the history of the Premier League has dropped off, non top 6 teams don't have the depth and always have to play weaker players and lose games as a result - but this season we've seen an unprecedented level of top club laziness as well - Chelsea's first half of the season was indefensible, Man City slacked off enough to look like they might miss top 4, Arsenal are STILL only the 3rd or 4th best team even without City and Chelsea above them.

I'm not even being critical of Leicester, but that's not really a plan B, it's the same as their plan A, same formation, same team doing the same things, just with less effective attacking as Mahrez is now mostly being stopped. Their workrate usually turns something up for them though - and Vardy is to this side what Suarez was for Liverpool a couple of years ago. Always a threat from anywhere on the pitch and a nightmare to defend against. As long as they have that outlet and don't concede first they'll be ok.

With everyone banging on about Mane's "stonewall" penalty shout (whatever the f*ck "stonewall" is supposed to mean), is it lost on everyone that we were lucky not to be playing with ten men for half a game? How that was not a straight red is beyond me.

Guessing the derivation of "Stonewall" is "solid".

If you're on about Wanyama's tactical foul, Fonte was covering and actually cleared the ball about 20 yards from where Vardy was, it was nothing like a DOGSO because Wanyama got in when the ball was well away from goal.

Like any Saints' fan I want us to win every game, although no team ever does that. Did yesterday's result really matter? It probably made no difference to the end-of-season outcome. To be in the top 10 of the Premier League, with no relegation worries is a position that football fans all over the country can only dream of for their team. If we can go into next season with no European involvement to disrupt the preseason preparations I'll be quite content.

Well said that man. Now close this thread.

The moment I saw the Simpson handball in real time on Sky I was sure it was deliberate and I was astonished that we weren't given a penalty and Simpson a red card. The slow-mos just confirmed it for me.

I have no problems about the other two controversial decisions.

I thought there was a definite sleight of hand to push it away with disguise.

IMO the ref had a poor game.

I was surprised with Leicester's speed of recovery of the ball back from us in possession. Also can't recall too many crosses not being cleared emphatically by them.

If we dominated general play for long periods so too then did did their defence completely dominate their own penalty area.

All up I thought were a little unlucky with the penalty shouts, but Leicester were good value for their win.

A push is a foul, plain and simple. Not a "mis-match." Hand ball is hand ball where ever the ball might end up. Just because Mane effed it up it doesn't mean that the hand ball should not have been given. Yes Leicester had the better chances but you win games on goals not chances and there is a fair shout that theirs should have been chalked off and that we should have had one or maybe two pens.

your username is quite appropiate isn't it

The Austin/Huth shout was not on target and there was no chance of anyone getting on the end of it anyway at that pace.

Sorry - but thats a crock of poo, doesn't matter if on target or someone getting on the end of it.

The way I see it is if Huth was the GK I would say great save by the way he extended his arms out to spread himself..........but its not the GK its the centre back so penalty all day long, no matter if the ball was flying out the stadium once he hit it.

You got to laugh at how biased football supporters are . If the Simpson one hadn't of hit his hand it would have hit his body , **** me , there would have been uproar in here if we'd given away such a soft pen . The Huth one , **** me , if people think he moved his hand towards the ball , then he should be in nets . I don't really see what else he could have done. In both instances the arms were in a normal position and the ball hit them . Whether you like it or not , that's not a pen . Maybe once in a while a cock of a ref will give it , but some really are clutching at straws . The Vardy tackle , Steve Davis didn't make a big deal of it , maybe it could have been a yellow , but equally Vics could have been a red . It was only because of Classie's reaction to it , rather than Davo's that it appears worse. Perhaps Classie should have shown what a hard man he is when it matters instead of getting involved with handbags.

We lost because they wanted it more , nothing to do with the ref . Look at the last 4/5 minutes they were holding it in the corner . Its one thing when The Arsenal of Henry , Pires ect or Fergies Utd do that , but Cedric, JWP ect were poncing about trying to win it back against Leicester FFS .

Koeman blew it today OR should have played instead of Classie , Cuco should have played , He's let Pelle mince around like he's a big star , and why oh why does he think JWP can change anything .

Totally agree with this .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

[emoji38]

Exactly It is the business of everyone who posts, as you say but you complain about mine...bit contradictory or it is it you who are thick...i think so

Your and your opinion of me is a complete irelevance , sorry if your policing is not working [emoji14]... perhaps you should take your acceptable posting criteria clipboard elsewhere to someone who

might bow down to you..or actually gives a toss what you say...

I do look forward to some more of your "stop that you naughty boy" posts as they are funny

Blah blah blah . The irony here is excruciating

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

It seems to me all this meltdown (refs decisions aside) at losing away to the team that sits 7 points clear at the top, have only lost once at home all season, on a good run of unbeaten games and clean sheets,

is because that team is Leicester City and not say Man City, Man U or Chelsea had they been in the same position.

Now if we feck up against Newcastle next week, that would be a completely different kettle of fish!!

I just find it incredibly boring and tedious to hear managers moaning about tight refereeing calls rather than their team's lack of ability in any given game.

We were one dimensional and boring going forward, maybe he should talk about why Pelle starts every game or why we play with 8 defensive outfield players on the pitch

.........you mean when we played away against the Premier League leaders?