Saints V Leicester (A)

St Chalet

I'll be honest, after Hoddle, Potch, the attempted Spiderman tap-up and the Toby screwjob last year; I don't feel as bad about this result as I should. Am I the only one that feels slightly better that we've probably ruined Spurs' chances of the title? Small things I suppose.

A definite silver lining to today's cloud, yes.

Would have preferred a draw today, and a win at WHL to be honest, or better still win both, but if it assists in preventing the Norf London Yobbos winning the league then great.

Well, my point was that when we were up in the CL places in the early part of that season, somebody started a thread asking if we were in a genuine title race, only to be belittled and ridiculed by certain posters for it. The consensus at the time was that IF we could keep our starting 11 fit and injury-free we were a match for anybody and could be in with a serious shout of the CL. Then we had a horrific run of injuries and had to start quite a few games with Gazza in goal, and it all went pear-shaped.

Undoubtedly, earlier in this season there was a similar discussion on the Leicester forum when it was clear their early season form was no fluke. And undoubtedly the Foxes forum equivalent of Turkish came along and slapped down anybody who dared to suggest that they might actually be in with a shout of the title. But they have proved that our discussion at that time was not so far-fetched, because they have shown that with hard work, a good defence and some very good luck with injuries, a 'little' team can have a good season and mix it with the big boys right to the end.

So when I said I am ambivalent about their success, it's because although I'm happy to see a smaller team break the stranglehold of the mega-money clubs, I'm obviously a little bitter that it is Leicester that have done it and not us when we looked like we might threaten to over the last two seasons.

But we were in the top 4 for a lot longer and much later in the season than we were in 2013/14, so not sure why you use that season and not last as an example. Neither time were we close to doing what Leicester have done, even prior to any injuries we had.

I can't see any reason for anyone to be bitter about Leiester. Their success is a one off freak that will never happen again.

Without Long we seem clueless. Can you believe that, Shane Long our most reliable player by far except for Fraser, bless his little old cotton socks?

We've had so many years even decades of these types of let-downs that you'd think one more wouldn't matter, well it does. It hurts and the players should know that its the long suffering fans who have to pick up the pieces after the mess that they've created. Fighting for a European place my a***!

Time for wholesale changes and let's get in a few players with a bit of backbone, fight and passion in them.

Oh the irony..... Clueless, yes you are

There's not a manager in the League that wouldn't have a moan after our last three games of refereeing decisions. Koeman is generally pretty reasonable when it comes to talking about refs and their errors.

Agreed. He generally says it how it is and has every right to have a bit of a moan. Handballs or not, their goal was a foul and should not have stood. Same as the Fabregas goal. We've had more than our fair share of ****ty decisions this season.

Well we've had the one reasonable performance out of Pelle it would and today he was his normal dreadful static self. Koeman will pick him for ever which is stunting our progress. We have to drop Pelle to ensure we have movement and players that actually attack the ball and make runs niether of Pelle does... Not good enough for this team - unload him....

And here he goes yet again but only when we lose....utter tool

Found it really refreshing to hear Koeman seem incensed at the end and finally give his genuine opinion on the refereeing. I personally thought the Simpson/Huth incidents were two of the least obvious refereeing errors that have gone against us this season, and I can see why they were not given, but come on we all know they sometimes do get given just not in our favour. I have said for ages we are too nice, there is no crowding of the referee from our team, which we'd all like to believe is something that we are proud of, but the referee's in this league are so weak that crowding sways them beyond belief, and we always suffer because of it (West Ham at home the main incident I can think of). Koeman finally saying just how **** the officials have been towards us in these three games in a row alone shows just how frustrated he must be, and in another season these decisions could be the fine line between staying up and going down, or Champions League vs. Europa League. People who say you shouldn't blame referees for our failure to win games are delusional, at this level you may only get one opportunity in a game, and if an oppositions player denies that illegally (foul, handball) then that is cheating and is enough to win/lose a game, so have a day off. As I said, today's incidents could've gone either way for me, but we never get them, and this season has been beyond a joke.

Found it really refreshing to hear Koeman seem incensed at the end and finally give his genuine opinion on the refereeing. I personally thought the Simpson/Huth incidents were two of the least obvious refereeing errors that have gone against us this season, and I can see why they were not given, but come on we all know they sometimes do get given just not in our favour. I have said for ages we are too nice, there is no crowding of the referee from our team, which we'd all like to believe is something that we are proud of, but the referee's in this league are so weak that crowding sways them beyond belief, and we always suffer because of it (West Ham at home the main incident I can think of). Koeman finally saying just how **** the officials have been towards us in these three games in a row alone shows just how frustrated he must be, and in another season these decisions could be the fine line between staying up and going down, or Champions League vs. Europa League. People who say you shouldn't blame referees for our failure to win games are delusional, at this level you may only get one opportunity in a game, and if an oppositions player denies that illegally (foul, handball) then that is cheating and is enough to win/lose a game, so have a day off. As I said, today's incidents could've gone either way for me, but we never get them, and this season has been beyond a joke.
I agree, we give refs a much easier time than most other clubs. Whether that's a good thing or not, I'm honestly not sure.

I agree, we give refs a much easier time than most other clubs. Whether that's a good thing or not, I'm honestly not sure.

In theory it's a good thing but in reality it hurts us, the refs know our players will give them an easy time so it's far easier to not give us the decision, if they knew they would be harangued by us they might actually think twice, I can't believe none of our players were harassing the ref today. Even against the scousers it took Tadic to run towards the linesman to get their goal disallowed

Leicester commit fouls in their box in nearly every match and they never get given. It's one of the reasons they are where they are.

This is one of the weirdest seasons ever. Dross like Watford, Bournemouth and West Brom staying up comfortably; West Ham in with a chance of fifth purely because they've got someone who is good at free-kicks; and a team about as good as a team that would typically finish about eighth is going to win the league and has refereeing immunity. Bizarre.

We've been crap on numerous occasions, far worse than last season IMO, and yet we should still have a good finishing position.

The quality really is dreadful this season. Unfortunately, we didn't capitalise.

Peter Schmeichel was saying on Sky that he thought that Mane should have had a penalty and that handball should always be a foul, intentional or not. He said the same about offsides, none of this interfering with play nonsense which is very subjective.

Peter Schmeichel was saying on Sky that he thought that Mane should have had a penalty and that handball should always be a foul, intentional or not. He said the same about offsides, none of this interfering with play nonsense which is very subjective.

I've always been of the opinion that handball is handball and that is it, it is very rare someone 'deliberately' handles the ball, and that rule leaves it to interpretation which is a significant cause of the inconsistency we see in officiating. In hockey if it hits your foot, it's a foul, intentional or not. Huth stopped the ball travelling towards goal because his hand was far away from his body, in my opinion that should be a clear cut offence, but I have to accept that for most people it's all about intent for some reason. Schmeichel is spot on IMO, keep it simple, make it easier for everybody.

Leicester commit fouls in their box in nearly every match and they never get given. It's one of the reasons they are where they are.

This is one of the weirdest seasons ever. Dross like Watford, Bournemouth and West Brom staying up comfortably; West Ham in with a chance of fifth purely because they've got someone who is good at free-kicks; and a team about as good as a team that would typically finish about eighth is going to win the league and has refereeing immunity. Bizarre.

We've been crap on numerous occasions, far worse than last season IMO, and yet we should still have a good finishing position.

The quality really is dreadful this season. Unfortunately, we didn't capitalise.

Bournemouth aren't dross, neither are Watford. The top teams haven't been as strong as usual this year, but I think it could be argued that the general standard of sides is better the likes of Stoke for example. Or Palace being a decent side and only being 16th or Everton only being 12th, they're both better sides than you'd normally see in those league positions.

I've always been of the opinion that handball is handball and that is it, it is very rare someone 'deliberately' handles the ball, and that rule leaves it to interpretation which is a significant cause of the inconsistency we see in officiating. In hockey if it hits your foot, it's a foul, intentional or not. Huth stopped the ball travelling towards goal because his hand was far away from his body, in my opinion that should be a clear cut offence, but I have to accept that for most people it's all about intent for some reason. Schmeichel is spot on IMO, keep it simple, make it easier for everybody.

Yeah, always annoys me, particulay from co-commentators of the calibre of Niall Quinn come out with the "deliberate" handball argument - hardly any handballs in the box are deliberate, you would literally have one of two penalties across all four leagues each season if that was really the interpretation. Its unclear and all round a bit f a mess.

You'll never get refereeing consistency if decisions are based on if the intention is there or not, that's on the referee's judgement and call. So you'll get a different call most weeks.

But a handball inside the area is a handball, simple as that in my opinion. There was no debate on today's in my opinion. I don't know how that couldn't be a handball in any circumstance. He pretty much became their goal keeper and saved it. It should have been a penalty and a red card for sure.

The other call we had on Robert Huth should also have been a penalty, although they didn't go on about that much in the match. He clearly moved his arm in a way towards the ball and it hit the palm of his hand, not his elbow, not his arm - his hand.

And then you have Morgan admitting that he thought he fouled Clasie for his goal and that he had to check with the referee as he thought it was going to be chalked off.

But to do what they're doing you need luck, and they got that in huge clumps today. The performance was good today and if it were for a competent referee, we would not have lost that game.

I kind of get all the deliberate handball stuff, it is harsh to punish handball if it's unintentional but there has to be exceptions to that rule. The simple fact is, intentional or not, Simpson handled a goal bound ball, it is 100% a goal if he doesn't handle it, that has to punished in my opinion, intentional or not. It's completely different to handling a cross or something like that, this is a situation where a goal has been prevented by a handball.

I kind of get all the deliberate handball stuff, it is harsh to punish handball if it's unintentional but there has to be exceptions to that rule. The simple fact is, intentional or not, Simpson handled a goal bound ball, it is 100% a goal if he doesn't handle it, that has to punished in my opinion, intentional or not. It's completely different to handling a cross or something like that, this is a situation where a goal has been prevented by a handball.

I said exactly that earlier to turks. Probably not a red card because it may not have been intentional, , but how can preventing a goal by using your arm not be a penalty? If it had been farther out and possibly not goalbound I could understand it, but that was on the goal line.

Didn't think either were pens. Mane should have taken his chance.

Have to wonder if the five at the back killed us for the goal. Instead of Virgil being in the box he was out wide trying to prevent the cross. I guess that it might not have mattered, but I don't like seeing big CB having to go out to the flanks.

We didn't create enough and I think at times we got out-muscled, a reflection of Leicester's greater desire to win the game, but the fact is we lost the game because of the ref. Repeat, we lost because of the ref. Penalty and sending off first half. Foul on Clasie for their's. Penalty second half. I've seen this ref before. He's weak. I'm pleased Leicester will win the title because it's not one of the usual money clubs but I'm underwhelmed by them. They are winning it by default.

Didn't think either were pens. Mane should have taken his chance.

Have to wonder if the five at the back killed us for the goal. Instead of Virgil being in the box he was out wide trying to prevent the cross. I guess that it might not have mattered, but I don't like seeing big CB having to go out to the flanks.

Cedric was out wide and should have closed down Fuchs or at least put him under more pressure.

We didn't create enough and I think at times we got out-muscled, a reflection of Leicester's greater desire to win the game, but the fact is we lost the game because of the ref. Repeat, we lost because of the ref. Penalty and sending off first half. Foul on Clasie for their's. Penalty second half. I've seen this ref before. He's weak. I'm pleased Leicester will win the title because it's not one of the usual money clubs but I'm underwhelmed by them. They are winning it by default.

Total rubbish. We lost because we were absolutely awful in the final third. Again

Total rubbish. We lost because we were absolutely awful in the final third. Again

So you think neither were penalties and there was no foul on Clasie for their goal? Well your obviously entitled to your opinion but I find that ****ng incredible. By the way, I pointed out that we didn't create enough today. I've posted this view a number of times of the past two seasons. I'm well aware of the failings. Today it was the referee.

Yet more evidence for the desperate need for a Television Match Official. Quite why football is so hopelessly behind the times continues to be a complete bewilderment. Refs cannot see everything and they need more help than they get from the (frankly useless) linesmen/referee's assistants.

One day an incorrect decision will relegate a team and the financial implications of that won't bear thinking about.

You got to laugh at how biased football supporters are . If the Simpson one hadn't of hit his hand it would have hit his body , **** me , there would have been uproar in here if we'd given away such a soft pen . The Huth one , **** me , if people think he moved his hand towards the ball , then he should be in nets . I don't really see what else he could have done. In both instances the arms were in a normal position and the ball hit them . Whether you like it or not , that's not a pen . Maybe once in a while a cock of a ref will give it , but some really are clutching at straws . The Vardy tackle , Steve Davis didn't make a big deal of it , maybe it could have been a yellow , but equally Vics could have been a red . It was only because of Classie's reaction to it , rather than Davo's that it appears worse. Perhaps Classie should have shown what a hard man he is when it matters instead of getting involved with handbags.

We lost because they wanted it more , nothing to do with the ref . Look at the last 4/5 minutes they were holding it in the corner . Its one thing when The Arsenal of Henry , Pires ect or Fergies Utd do that , but Cedric, JWP ect were poncing about trying to win it back against Leicester FFS .

Koeman blew it today OR should have played instead of Classie , Cuco should have played , He's let Pelle mince around like he's a big star , and why oh why does he think JWP can change anything .

So you think neither were penalties and there was no foul on Clasie for their goal? Well your obviously entitled to your opinion but I find that ****ng incredible. By the way, I pointed out that we didn't create enough today. I've posted this view a number of times of the past two seasons. I'm well aware of the failings. Today it was the referee.

Neither are blatant penalties no. One is smashed into Huth from a few yards away with his hand by his side (not raised) and the Simpson one has also hit Simpson with his arm by his side. Have I seen them given before? Yes. Are they blatant? No. Sometimes you don't get the lucky calls form the ref and you just have to get on with it, and not moan like a ***** about it. And I didn't think it was a foul either, just a total mismatch and Morgan was stronger than Clasie, no surprise there.

The referee wasn't the reason we only had 2 shots on target in the entire match, one of them being a speculative long range strike. That is the reason we lost today, we were not good enough to break them down and create openings, and rather than our manager coming out and whinging about debatable penalties, I'd rather he took a leaf out of Bertand's book and talked about how he's going to get this team creating more chances and scoring more goals

You got to laugh at how biased football supporters are . If the Simpson one hadn't of hit his hand it would have hit his body , **** me , there would have been uproar in here if we'd given away such a soft pen . The Huth one , **** me , if people think he moved his hand towards the ball , then he should be in nets . I don't really see what else he could have done. In both instances the arms were in a normal position and the ball hit them . Whether you like it or not , that's not a pen . Maybe once in a while a cock of a ref will give it , but some really are clutching at straws . The Vardy tackle , Steve Davis didn't make a big deal of it , maybe it could have been a yellow , but equally Vics could have been a red . It was only because of Classie's reaction to it , rather than Davo's that it appears worse. Perhaps Classie should have shown what a hard man he is when it matters instead of getting involved with handbags.

We lost because they wanted it more , nothing to do with the ref . Look at the last 4/5 minutes they were holding it in the corner . Its one thing when The Arsenal of Henry , Pires ect or Fergies Utd do that , but Cedric, JWP ect were poncing about trying to win it back against Leicester FFS .

Koeman blew it today OR should have played instead of Classie , Cuco should have played , He's let Pelle mince around like he's a big star , and why oh why does he think JWP can change anything .

I agree with this completely. Took the words right out of my mouth.

We have rose tinted spectacles on, and as much as I hate Leicester, they really do look like they will do it sadly.

However with JWP, maybe the set piece ability was what we were looking for with regards to changing the game.

Having seen MoTD2 I can see how the ref can say no to both the handballs but the big decision they never discussed was the push by Morgan on Clasie for the goal. Looking carefully at the replays you can just spot Morgan's push in the back. It looked very odd live from 100 yards away and now I know why

Could not agree more...and why we persisted with aimless crosses in the air against Huth/Morgan beggars belief.

Just about right, 1st half young Matty out on the left in space looking to cross a couple of times with no-one showing for it. On one occasion he fired it in it came to nowt and his body language was does no body want this ball.

All the Pelle defenders are pushing water up hill on yesterday's performance ambling about, getting caught in possession time and again, not being right place on time. One that does stick out is Ryan In the box out left lashes it into the side netting, being at the other end of the ground you thought his body language was a bit p'd off, watching back on MOTD you could see why he was hacked off Pelle had joined the Leicester defence with his back to goal and blocking Ryan's route to goal instead of being in a position snap something up and score...... Which explains the wtf lassez faire strike from Bertrand.

Something more of concern, there seemed to be a bit more arguing between our players than usual.

Fair play to Leicester they got their snouts in front and were disciplined in seeing the game out, it's safe to say they are men on a mission, none of them superstars just a band of brothers working hard for each other.

Ah well at least I got something from the game: One of the Owners a Happy Birthday Donuts......... Strangely in the shape of our score.

For all the wrong hand ball/foul calls, we did not test Leicester's goalkeeper at all and that was the problem yesterday. If it were not for Fraser, we would have lost by a lot more.
And if it wasn't for Morgan's push for their goal and the two handballs by their defenders?

Yet more evidence for the desperate need for a Television Match Official. Quite why football is so hopelessly behind the times continues to be a complete bewilderment. Refs cannot see everything and they need more help than they get from the (frankly useless) linesmen/referee's assistants.

One day an incorrect decision will relegate a team and the financial implications of that won't bear thinking about.

Video technology wouldn't make much difference - it was down to interpretation and not whether they saw it or not.

Only problem with giving handball if it hits the arm (intentional or not) is that we will get the handball equivalent of diving! Hours will be spent practising smashing balls against hand/arm in the box especially when it's crowded. Should be easier to hit someones hand then net it!

Video technology wouldn't make much difference - it was down to interpretation and not whether they saw it or not.

Can't agree with this. Seeing the Mané penalty incident replayed on MotD2, demonstrated how video technology would lead to fairer results. In the replay you could see that Simpson did not have his arm close to his body and that he actually used his elbow to deflect the ball. Instead of being praised on the BBC Football site for a 'Superb' block he should have been sent off. It also seems likely that with video technology players would have to be much more careful about committing offences, knowing that the camera would spot them.

It is true that incidents are down to interpretation and whether they were seen by the referee who only has a split second to make a decision, but the whole point of video technology is to assist the referee to do this better.

And if it wasn't for Morgan's push for their goal and the two handballs by their defenders?

It wasn't a foul, he was just stronger than him. If it didn't hit Simpson's hand then it would have hit his body and still not gone in (it was a crap finish). If it doesn't hit Huth's hand the most likely scenario is Schmeichel catching the cross, or it flashes across the goal. Pelle is the only one near the 6 yard box and has 2 Leicester player right in front of him, and considering his lack of movement generally I very much doubt he'd have made any effort to make it. And even if the penalty is given, who's to say we would have scored it? We missed our last one anyway (a very soft penalty that was given for us that Koeman didn't mention unsurprisingly)

Why doesn't Koeman focus his energies on what he can actually control (our poor attacking play) rather than whinge about things he has no control over?

Stopping myself getting worked up by this defeat by telling myself that this has royally f**ked Spurs's once-in-a-blue-moon season.

Lets face it, we were never going to be allowed to get in the way of the rolling juggernaut that is the "plucky minnows Leicester win the title over the big boys" story.

The refereeing decisions were never going to go our way...........

It wasn't a foul, he was just stronger than him. If it didn't hit Simpson's hand then it would have hit his body and still not gone in (it was a crap finish). If it doesn't hit Huth's hand the most likely scenario is Schmeichel catching the cross, or it flashes across the goal. Pelle is the only one near the 6 yard box and has 2 Leicester player right in front of him, and considering his lack of movement generally I very much doubt he'd have made any effort to make it. And even if the penalty is given, who's to say we would have scored it? We missed our last one anyway (a very soft penalty that was given for us that Koeman didn't mention unsurprisingly)

Why doesn't Koeman focus his energies on what he can actually control (our poor attacking play) rather than whinge about things he has no control over?

Physics and geometry not a forte of yours, are they pal.

Stopping myself getting worked up by this defeat by telling myself that this has royally f**ked Spurs's once-in-a-blue-moon season.

Lets face it, we were never going to be allowed to get in the way of the rolling juggernaut that is the "plucky minnows Leicester win the title over the big boys" story.

The refereeing decisions were never going to go our way...........

I would rather Leicester than Spurs win the title. Maybe we will beat Spurs to ensure this happens.

Don't agree with Koeman on the penalty shouts. Huth's arm was down by his side, and to blame anyone but Mane for the first one is crazy. Just pass it into the empty half of the goal. Why he tried to chip it back across to the defender's side of the goal is beyond me.

If Mane had finished better there would be no argument. Agree with the poster who said that Leicester had the better chances. Thought we started badly but gradually got back in the game and pretty much controlled it second half but looked shakey on the counter. It is all well and good having plenty of possession and control but you have to test their keeper as well and we didn't enough. Pelle is getting a lot of stick but his ball through to Mane was superb. Tadic looked lively when he first came on but seemed to vanish. Was impressed with Clasie but he should have been in that position even though Morgan clearly shoved him. Oh well, would rather Leicester won the Prem than Spuds so not all bad. Re the handballs,I have seen them given for less. I thought the first one was nailed on. Definite movement towards the ball. Doesn't matter if it was going on to hit his body, if he handles it it is hand ball no matter where it might have ended up.

A push in the back when contesting a cross is a foul. See Morgan's own comments post match.

Name me a manager that wouldn't have a moan about refereeing after our last three games?

I agree the Huth incident is more of one of interpretation.

As The Professor says in post 490, the view the referee has of the Mane incident (much the same as one of the video cameras) shows the ball hitting the arm. However, the view from the side angle shows the defender deflecting the ball - look at the follow-through to remove any doubt. Hence the call for video technology.

I agree the Huth incident is more of one of interpretation.

As The Professor says in post 490, the view the referee has of the Mane incident (much the same as one of the video cameras) shows the ball hitting the arm. However, the view from the side angle shows the defender deflecting the ball - look at the follow-through to remove any doubt. Hence the call for video technology.

But there is clearly doubt about both decisions, look at all the posts on this forum, lots think a definite pen, lots don't. And that's after seeing it many times from different angles. Both down to interpretation.