Ronald Koeman Joins Everton - CONFIRMED

Jimmy_D

I still dont get this idea that they now have more money than us ? Even if they did you still need a good recruitment department , training facilities and a real ethos about how you run a club which then have none!

Everton only wanted Koeman except they went for Emery as well until they realised he was out of their reach...Whereas Koeman could be persuaded with more money

They're going to enjoy him taking mini breaks to Holland in the middle of a 5 game losing streak....

I still dont get this idea that they now have more money than us ? Even if they did you still need a good recruitment department , training facilities and a real ethos about how you run a club which then have none!

Ah, but they do have loud mouths.

Seems nobody thinks he has some valid points then haha.

Hopefully we do the same as them and get our first choice.

Everton are a bigger team than Saints though. Not by much, but in the West Ham/Newcastle sort of bracket for me.

Wow, who are you telling this to? I think everyone on this forum knows that so not entirely sure of the point in posting it..?

Jesus, even if some of his points are valid, that article sounds like it's been written by one of the Everton fans on here...! Clearly another one with a massive chip on his shoulder.

Nah, can't be. Not a single mention of corner flags or dugouts...

But, yes, it does appear that Merseyside's answer to Factless Allen has been scouring this forum to source much of that diatribe.

So, a big SWF 'Hello' to Chris.

giphy.gif

Sadly, it's only a 3.4/10 from me though.

Edited by trousers

Just said its hard to argue (which is my opinion).

If the article is so wide of the mark then feel free to share why, ideally coherently.

Written by a scouser for the benefit of his home town audience it's just as bad as articles written by saints fans for the internet.

“But he said he’d never leave us and then turned his head as soon as he was offered a £4 million a year pay rise…”

"Well, quite… and your point is what exactly?"

He is a lying c**t and only went for the money as proved from what he said 3 weeks ago before 7m a year was offered

not due to Everton being "lords of the English game" :lol:

I'm going to make a point of never reading this wa**kers articles ever again.

Edited by Saint IQ

Wow, who are you telling this to? I think everyone on this forum knows that so not entirely sure of the point in posting it..?

I'm not sure they do seeing as every time an Everton fan has said so people have bitten back about it.

Besides if you accept they are bigger then that Telegraph article is just saying the same: bigger teams feed off smaller tes as has ever been the case.

Plus richer teams feed off poorer teams and people within the game move for money, most of which is held by the bigger, richer, more immediately ambitious sides.

Don't see whats to argue with personally. We know where we are.

I liked Koeman when he was here (i know he's still to confirm departure but it's all over bar the shouting), but he is a two faced bastard and i'm looking forward to giving hims some grief if he's still in charge of the sh!tkickers when they come to SMS next season. I couldn't give a toss about who is the bigger club and all that ********. And there fans coming on here with their smug posts, seems to me the blue side of scouseland is like a fella with a small nob who feels he needs to lord it about when he's finally got a bird (who will fleece him for a load of cash) before he's ****ged her and she realises he's not all that he promised. The validation they need of being a once big club is just weird. I suppose it's something to do with them achieving **** all in the last 20 odd years. Oh well, I digress.

I read the article but I cannot see how appointing Koeman is a statement of intent to the rest of the Premier League? Sure, he's a good manager, but nothing special. His record isn't that great and whilst he did well with us, fannying about in the dutch league after a few dodgy years in Spain doesn't compare with the stellar managers currently around. Citeh getting Pep is a statement of intent. Klopp was a canny appointment for the bin dippers and is a statement of intent. Jose to Manure is, too. But Koeman? Hello? He might do well, but i don't think he'll take them into top 4 over the next two seasons, which is where i assume they want to be.

They can dress it up all they want, but I think there is a limit to Koemans managerial ability that may not meet the expectations of the club's owners.

I'm not slating you for posting this, but when you say it is hard to argue.....it really is like reading an Everton fan's view of affairs.

As for the typo, Jesus H Christ this is a professional journalist writing for a heavy-weight newspaper, "they know where they once where". It's like reading the Echo.

(without the ad for the best mate's ex wife who now earns a lot working from home on her laptop)

I'm not sure they do seeing as every time an Everton fan has said so people have bitten back about it.

Besides if you accept they are bigger then that Telegraph article is just saying the same: bigger teams feed off smaller tes as has ever been the case.

Plus richer teams feed off poorer teams and people within the game move for money, most of which is held by the bigger, richer, more immediately ambitious sides.

Don't see whats to argue with personally. We know where we are.

Half the problem is people can't even agree what the criteria for "bigger" is. It's a pretty meaningless **** swinging exercise by football fans much like club history.

Half the problem is people can't even agree what the criteria for "bigger" is. It's a pretty meaningless **** swinging exercise by football fans much like club history.

Bigger isn't a problem for me. It's down to size. So Everton, with a bigger ground and a bigger regular average attendance ARE bigger than Saints.

As are Newcastle.

The thing that is starting to wind me up is the concept of "step up".

It CANNOT be a step up to go from a European qualifying team to one who has failed to qualify for Europe. End of.

It is a step down.

You can, as Koeman has demonstrated, step down, in the belief that you can step up beyond the level of your former employer.

I have no problem with Koeman stepping down to try to do this, especially when Everton have shown four million more lots of "ambition" than we were prepared to.

I'm not slating you for posting this' date=' but when you say it is hard to argue.....it really is like reading an Everton fan's view of affairs.[/quote']

He probably is an Everton fan. They have though put their money where their mouth is.

When was the last time Saints took a player or member of staff from a team in a much better standing hen that team wasn't keen for them to leave?

I imagine when we signed Jose Fonte from Palace when we were in L1 and they were in the Championship.

I remember at the time it was (rightly) heralded as a show of ambition. We paid Fonte more than Palace could and showed him a way forward that he liked.

Nothing wrong with using your assets. Every club does it to teams they are able to outflex in whatever way they need to in order to get what they want.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I liked Koeman when he was here (i know he's still to confirm departure but it's all over bar the shouting), but he is a two faced bastard and i'm looking forward to giving hims some grief if he's still in charge of the sh!tkickers when they come to SMS next season. I couldn't give a toss about who is the bigger club and all that ********. And there fans coming on here with their smug posts, seems to me the blue side of scouseland is like a fella with a small nob who feels he needs to lord it about when he's finally got a bird (who will fleece him for a load of cash) before he's ****ged her and she realises he's not all that he promised. The validation they need of being a once big club is just weird. I suppose it's something to do with them achieving **** all in the last 20 odd years. Oh well, I digress.

I read the article but I cannot see how appointing Koeman is a statement of intent to the rest of the Premier League? Sure, he's a good manager, but nothing special. His record isn't that great and whilst he did well with us, fannying about in the dutch league after a few dodgy years in Spain doesn't compare with the stellar managers currently around. Citeh getting Pep is a statement of intent. Klopp was a canny appointment for the bin dippers and is a statement of intent. Jose to Manure is, too. But Koeman? Hello? He might do well, but i don't think he'll take them into top 4 over the next two seasons, which is where i assume they want to be.

They can dress it up all they want, but I think there is a limit to Koemans managerial ability that may not meet the expectations of the club's owners.

Exactly this.

The games between us next season are going to be more hostile than any (not including Pompey) since maybe when Hoddle went to Spurs.

I'm looking forward to it!

Can I just ask who has said that they aren't a big club? All these demonstrations and facts of how big they are is a little strange. Are they trying to convince themselves or everyone else?

Bit of both I think.

Whether you believe it or not, this is interesting background:

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2016/06/06/assuming-control-first-100-days/

Definitely exciting times to be an Everton fan, if absolutely no guarentee of anything.

He probably is an Everton fan. They have though put their money where their mouth is.

When was the last time Saints took a player of member of staff from a team in a much better standing hen that team wasn't keen for them to leave?

I imagine when we signed Jose Fonte from Palace when we were in L1 and they were in the Championship.

I remember at the time it was (rightly) heralded as a show of ambition. We paid Fonte more than Palace could and showed him a way forward that he liked.

Nothing wrong with using your assets. Every club does it to teams they are able to outflex in whatever way they need to in order to get what they want.

I think that is harsh on Saints.

We signed Forster and VVD from a FAR bigger club than ourselves, (and for that matter Everton).

I'm not sure many Europeans think Southampton is any bigger than Feyenoord (Pelle) or FC Twente (Tadic).

I could go on, but the point I was trying to make, was for a piece of broadsheet journalism, it wasn't balanced. It was one sided, as you say, from a probable Everton fan.

Can I just ask who has said that they aren't a big club? All these demonstrations and facts of how big they are is a little strange. Are they trying to convince themselves or everyone else?

Exactly. I haven't seen anyone make a direct comment stating that Everton are a smaller club than us. I honestly had no idea that their fans had such a napoleon complex about it all. I find it genuinely confusing how so many of their fans think they should be up there with the likes of Utd and Arsenal though. In my mind they slot into the West Ham category.

I think that is harsh on Saints.

We signed Forster and VVD from a FAR bigger club than ourselves, (and for that matter Everton).

I'm not sure many Europeans think Southampton is any bigger than Feyenoord (Pelle) or FC Twente (Tadic).

I could go on, but the point I was trying to make, was for a piece of broadsheet journalism, it wasn't balanced. It was one sided, as you say, from a probable Everton fan.

PL means at this moment whilst Celtic and Feynoord are undoubtedly bigger than us it is also a no brainer to want to move here (or even Bournemouth).

Fonte decided he thought a step down would make it easier to make a step up later and he was right. But not many times we have flexed our muscles in the UK market. There isn't value in the UK player wise anyway but we know we aren't going to take one of Everton, West Ham etcs best players because they are bigger clubs.

When was the last time Saints took a player or member of staff from a team in a much better standing hen that team wasn't keen for them to leave?

I think the simple difference people are highlighting is that 'we' (Saints fans and local journos, in the main) don't/wouldn't spend days gloating about it on other fans football forums and in opinion pieces in national newspapers. I don't recall 'us' rubbing Palace's noses in it when we snapped up Fonte, for example. Ok, yes, that's a lower key example than Koeman going to Everton but I'd like to think 'we' wouldn't start banging on about it as much as the Everton fans/journos have if we were to find ourselves in a similar position. (but who knows, maybe that's just me being naive..."Saints tinted glasses, blah, blah, etc")

In the words of Fun Boy Three and Bananarama...."It Ain't What You Do, It's The Way That You Do It"

Btw, I don't see many people on here denying that Everton are historically a "bigger" club than us. To me, talking about club size is a red herring though. It's more important to me as a fan whether we are "better" at any moment in time, rather than "bigger".

For me, RK undid all the good work he did while here with his outright lying.

He flat out lied and has lost all respect because of that (not that he'd give 2 hoots about a handful of Saints fans on a message board).

While he did great work I can';t help but remember the dross served up when we were on the losing run, the performances in the Cups and while we got results it was nowhere near as attractive as the football under Pochettino.

Time to move on from RK - I couldn't care less if he failed or did well at Everton and am only interested in who we bring in and hoping that they can continue our upwards progress.

Exactly. I haven't seen anyone make a direct comment stating that Everton are a smaller club than us. I honestly had no idea that their fans had such a napoleon complex about it all. I find it genuinely confusing how so many of their fans think they should be up there with the likes of Utd and Arsenal though. In my mind they slot into the West Ham category.

I see the PL hierarchy as currently being....

The top dogs...Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea

Then.... Liverpool/Spurs

Then...Everton

Then the rest.

Liverpool/Spurs is a bit subjective. But Everton should be 7th if going on size and current state of affairs. Will they be happy with that? Maybe West Ham should be there as well, given that they have a huge new free stadium. I expect the hierarchy to be re-established and us not finishing 6th, although I would of course love us to, if not higher!!

Sorry Chuck, I really have little interest in that article you linked to.

You should to educate yourself about what other Clubs fans perceive their situation to be.

No idea of the accuracy but its written by their version of Guan, the person who said Koeman was going there when many on here still thought it was media/twitter/ITK drivel. So that gives it a slight veracity.

You should to educate yourself about what other Clubs fans perceive their situation to be.

No idea of the accuracy but its written by their version of Guan, the person who said Koeman was going there when many on here still thought it was media/twitter/ITK drivel. So that gives it a slight veracity.

Yes that's great I'm sure, but I am still not interested.

Big club just means rich club. So this is the standings from last year.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2015/08/21/from-man-utd-at-1-8bn-to-cherries-at-104m-whats-your-club-worth-210803/

MMM-2015.jpg

History beyond the last 20 years means **** all to the majority of Premier League audiences, players and managers other than it being rammed down our necks as conversation topics for commentators, second rate journalists and overly passionate single club fans/trolls.

The PL hierarchy is and should be the current league table otherwise what's the bloody point in the whole thing.

Big club just means rich club. So this is the standings from last year.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2015/08/21/from-man-utd-at-1-8bn-to-cherries-at-104m-whats-your-club-worth-210803/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2032[/ATTACH]

History beyond the last 20 years means **** all to the majority of Premier League audiences, players and managers other than it being rammed down our necks as conversation topics for commentators, second rate journalists and overly passionate single club fans/trolls.

The PL hierarchy is and should be the current league table otherwise what's the bloody point in the whole thing.

pretty definitive, and matches what we all know, there are the 'big clubs', then a gap to the rest of us who probably move up and down depending on the last 3-4 years of performance. It would be interesting to see if they included lower league clubs on the list, as I'm sure Pompey would be up there somewhere...

I don't think I have ever read such a one sided article. Anyway who says they have more money? Maybe we could have matched the offer but didn't think he was anywhere near worth it? Or maybe the contract extension we offered was even less than what we are currently paying him because we were trying to push him out the the door? No-one knows for sure and we may never will. This article is just dribble. I really do think we wanted him out, and Everton got wind of this.

If they sell either Lukaku or Stones (or both!) then his whole argument falls flat on its arse !

Supposedly they are sending out a message with paying £5mil compensation for Ron, this is merely scratching at the surface and they have a very, very long way to go to achieve their lofty ambitions !

Will be interesting to view their progress in the coming months/years !!

You lap up all the negative stuff like a starving dog...personaly i`m not interested

Interested enough to reply to 90% of my posts saying how uninterested you are.

Its a link to an article, feel free to click or leave as you please.

Its also not a negative article about Saints, its more a positive one about Everton. In fact...it barely mentions Saints.

Interested enough to reply to 90% of my posts saying how uninterested you are.

Its a link to an article, feel free to click or leave as you please.

Its also not a negative article about Saints, its more a positive one about Everton. In fact...it barely mentions Saints.

So why post it?

We could have matched the amount Everton are paying RK, but we chose not too. We have obviously made a judgement on his worth and would prefer to look for someone new.

This deal was done on Saints terms not Everton's. They think they are a big club but the world knows that they are and have been in the shadow of Liverpool FC since the mid 1970's. In the words of the late Bill Shankly, 'there are only two clubs in Liverpool, Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves'.

We could have matched the amount Everton are paying RK, but we chose not too. We have obviously made a judgement on his worth and would prefer to look for someone new.

This deal was done on Saints terms not Everton's. They think they are a big club but the world knows that they are and have been in the shadow of Liverpool FC since the mid 1970's. In the words of the late Bill Shankly, 'there are only two clubs in Liverpool, Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves'.

Actually in the last nearly 80 seasons my mate tells me Everton have only finished above Liverpool something like 16 times so not since the 70's..they have been in their shadow since before the war!

You bunch of bitter little gob****e. Just because we came and took what we wanted.

I always preferred Portsmouth. Nicer place too.

Good luck with the cruise liners too you gang of crying fannies!

So glad you came on a Southampton FC forum to post that. You really must have no life.

You bunch of bitter little gob****e. Just because we came and took what we wanted.

Hello. Judging by the above you are either 12 or 80 so I'll be kind either way, but please go away now.

obviously never been to Portsmouth then sunshine, unless you are from Liverpool 8 of course :-)

must be be chilly living in the shade of the red half of the city eh ?

oh well, calm down mate, it's your fkin year after all.......

You're a f&cking kn0bhead wind up merchant who thrives on any event where having a pop at Saints or bigging up another club is an option. That article is a load of bullsheet speculation about what they could spend the minority owners money on. So far they've paid over the odds for a manager , we'll see how they get on keeping Stones and Lukaku (not that I rate Stones that highly)

I'm pleased we'll have another game with some edge next season just a shame they are our traditional bogey team.