Ronald Koeman Joins Everton - CONFIRMED

Jimmy_D

Hahahaha. Brilliant by the Liverpool Echo.

How insecure are they in their desperation to show everyone how big they are and how small we are? What a Mickey Mouse paper/article and sad to say, my view of their fans and club is fast going that way.[/quote

Reminds me of. Five Live phone-in a few years back when some Skate said 'We are a sleeping giant' Surely the Toffees haven't been asleep have they? A new Stadium too.Thats the way to football success.

A club's standing in the game does not fluctuate year on year.

Newsflash - yes they do.

Or are they making the point that it only changes very slowly... in which case how many more years of mediocrity does it require before we can consider Everton to be mediocre?

They have a point. Just look at the shadow still cast by the Old Westminsters, Heanor Town and New Brighton Tower.

We're huge were huge were huge were huge yes we are yes we are yes we are.

To plagiarise and amend a famous CB Fry quote.

Just a thought, Is Moshiri gifting the huge amounts of money to Everton without strings or is it a loan against assets. If it is, we've seen that lead to problems down the track elsewhere. Another thought with such an increase in income do they have to pay tax on it.

Edited by derry

They have a point. Just look at the shadow still cast by the Old Westminsters, Heanor Town and New Brighton Tower.

We're huge were huge were huge were huge yes we are yes we are yes we are.

To plagiarise and amend a famous CB Fry quote.

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings

Has anyone else noticed that when you speak to any scouser none of them actually live in Liverpool itself, they all claim to live in the Wirral that's how proud they are of their fair City!!!

Anywho give RK's honesty rating, the only readers I suspect who will give his ramblings any consideration will be the Bluenoses so a bit of a niche read if you ask me

Are Peru Italy Greece Egypt and Iraq greater than the USA now because they have thousands of years of successful history

History is called history because it is in the past and finished all that counts is the now

With the possible exception of course of that fine Everton invention "the dugout" without which humanity would be the poorer

Are Peru Italy Greece Egypt and Iraq greater than the USA now because they have thousands of years of successful history

History is called history because it is in the past and finished all that counts is the now

With the possible exception of course of that fine Everton invention "the dugout" without which humanity would be the poorer

Let's try to be honest here, difficult I know, but it's fair to suggest that such an attempt at consolation [understandable], can only come from a fan, or fans, whose club has in terms of major trophies have won nothing to very little, for if history, particularly in terms of football accomplishment is so easily dispensed with, then it's surely pointless [pun intended] in winning anything in the first instance?

Let's try to be honest here, difficult I know, but it's fair to suggest that such an attempt at consolation [understandable], can only come from a fan, or fans, whose club has in terms of major trophies have won nothing to very little, for if history, particularly in terms of football accomplishment is so easily dispensed with, then it's surely pointless [pun intended] in winning anything in the first instance?
There is nothing wrong with pride in history. England fans sing about winning 2 world wars and ! world cup, none of them were there and so they are only living in reflected glory. It means sweet FA to modern day football. i was at the 76 cup final and often love the nostalgia of being there on the day, but I dont think it means anything to a fan of anther club.

Everton are a bigger club than Saints but do not get the impression that you are famous for your trophy winning efforts, the most modern football fans werent alive or of an age to notice the last time tou won the league.

You are famous as you have been in the top leagues for the majority of history and so your name came up more often than others. Considering you have had more goes at winning the top league than anybody else your trophy collection is not that good. Especially when you were obviously the flat track bullies pre war as you had plenty of resources up against all the other fledgking clubs.

Everton are a big club, not a massive club and you trophies pre 1980 are irrelevant to the modern game IMO

This just about sums up everything that is wrong with Football!

Rejoicing the fact that some random is coming in and smashing the wage ceiling, without any reference to sustainability or of clubs being self sufficient?

What really would worry me as an Everton fan is that RK was never ever in contention for the Chelsea job who are looking for that next class of manager yet Everton are paying RK more than Chelsea are paying Conte!

I reckon the blokes money will run out really quick with that less than commercial approach!

Any player signing for them needs to be looking for 100k a week IMO and if I were Baines, Barkley, and ....and...sorry struggling for any other quality players, I would be telling my agent to get me 100k a week too!

This just about sums up everything that is wrong with Football!

Rejoicing the fact that some random is coming in and smashing the wage ceiling, without any reference to sustainability or of clubs being self sufficient?

What really would worry me as an Everton fan is that RK was never ever in contention for the Chelsea job who are looking for that next class of manager yet Everton are paying RK more than Chelsea are paying Conte!

I reckon the blokes money will run out really quick with that less than commercial approach!

Any player signing for them needs to be looking for 100k a week IMO and if I were Baines, Barkley, and ....and...sorry struggling for any other quality players, I would be telling my agent to get me 100k a week too!

Agreed, the other issue being, if they want to be classed as a big top 4 club then they'll need to be shopping in the same market as Liverpool, man Utd, Chelsea, man city etc who are all rebuilding and who are all a bigger draw. So they'll either have to pay much higher wages for better players to stand a chance of attracting them.

as you've already highlighted, players like Barkley etc and other players who are decent prem players but not top draw will see the money floating around and be looking for 100k+

I am 32 and can just about remember Everton winning the FA Cup in 1995. Apart from that, my whole football supporting life they have generally been a mid-table team, with some occasional forays into the top six and equally some near misses with relegation. Yes they are a bigger club than Saints, don't think any on here would deny that, but I certainly never viewed them as a significant entity in the PL like the top clubs.

Of course if they start chucking huge sums of money around that may change. They could turn into the next plastic moneybags Man City (unlikely imo), or it could all go tits up ala Leeds and the skates. Neither scenario is dignified. Give me our model of sustainable, self sufficient growth any day.

Club history is important to the supporter's of that club. I look back with fondness on all sorts of moments in my clubs history but I'm realistic enough to know it means **** all to fans of other clubs. Trying to convince other fans of other clubs your club is great/big/successful or whatever by citing anything that happened more than a couple of seasons ago is just a bit sad and pointless because for most fans a team is only as good as it's last season.

I am 32 and can just about remember Everton winning the FA Cup in 1995. Apart from that, my whole football supporting life they have generally been a mid-table team, with some occasional forays into the top six and equally some near misses with relegation. Yes they are a bigger club than Saints, don't think any on here would deny that, but I certainly never viewed them as a significant entity in the PL like the top clubs.

Of course if they start chucking huge sums of money around that may change. They could turn into the next plastic moneybags Man City (unlikely imo), or it could all go tits up ala Leeds and the skates. Neither scenario is dignified. Give me our model of sustainable, self sufficient growth any day.

That's nothing, I'm nearly 67 and I can never remember Everton winning anything. If you asked me for a list of the great English clubs then their name would not spring to mind.

Reading all this "Big Club" stuff on here, we could have been in that perceived bracket, but for our geographical location. Reading one of the Hagiology books, I am pretty certain that I read that the club took the decision in long off distant sepia hued days (even longer before football was invented in 1992) to forfeit promotion into the top league, because the constant travelling expenses in particular to the power house of football back in those days of Birmingham northwards, would have put a severe strain on the clubs finances.

Bit of a shame really when we get into these "seeing how much further up the wall we can piddle" spats with other fans, but having a top flight team to support today is better than being Bradford Park Avenue who burned brightly very briefly, then had a very slow death.

That's nothing, I'm nearly 67 and I can never remember Everton winning anything. If you asked me for a list of the great English clubs then their name would not spring to mind.

I am with you Whitey, although a few years younger. I can remember the odd Everton triumph but they have never stricken me as a "big club," more like a club who do well occasionally. At the moment I would say that we are a much better proposition for any ambitious manager who doesn't get hung up on money. Whether the cash that is supposed to be available will make any difference to Everton only time will tell. But there are no guarantees and Koeman could be setting himself up to fail. The fans will be expecting a return on the money pretty quickly and as we know, if you don't deliver in the Premiership your days can be numbered in short order.

Reading all this "Big Club" stuff on here, we could have been in that perceived bracket, but for our geographical location. Reading one of the Hagiology books, I am pretty certain that I read that the club took the decision in long off distant sepia hued days (even longer before football was invented in 1992) to forfeit promotion into the top league, because the constant travelling expenses in particular to the power house of football back in those days of Birmingham northwards, would have put a severe strain on the clubs finances.

Bit of a shame really when we get into these "seeing how much further up the wall we can piddle" spats with other fans, but having a top flight team to support today is better than being Bradford Park Avenue who burned brightly very briefly, then had a very slow death.

Good point the clubs with history in the earliest days were the Wanderers Royal Engineers and Corinthian Casuals that makes them massive in Everton terms more recently Preston, wolves Forest and Leeds had history doesn't make their teams better than Leicesters today does it?

When has history given a team a 10 point start in the league

Everton fans are using contradictory arguments in that on one hand they are big and massive based on history and yet on the other hand they argue they will be big and massive through as yet unproven mega bucks of investment from an as yet not proven source and they are rather worryingly reveling in the fact they are breaking the glass ceiling of their wage structure

If they are so massive as they argue why do they need investment? And why are they paying more than any other club for a manager of a so called small club who have in their words won nothing?

I would rather continue to follow our proven strategy of seven years of continuous growth on and off the field than gamble my clubs future on a roulette wheel and leave it with an unsustainable cost base at some point in the future when the money bags run out or disappear

Ronald might end up spending quality time with the following.

is?ohsa9uZBzOFObtKaSzmkRNErrHBtYON46VGxOIKyjB8&height=287

This would be amazing - guaranteeing us a couple of spots above Everton with them having a **** manager next season is clearly going to be worth £5 millions in payments.

You must be puddled then because I'm 52 and I remember them winning 2 championships, European cup winners cup, & the fa cup twice.

Everton fan in peace here. Had a look at thread to see reaction/thoughts of Saints fans, seems a decent forum so decided to sign up for sensible exchange of views (genuinely not arsed whose groundsman's got the biggest lawnmower or mows the funkiest pitch pattern etc - would much rather Everton were known for stuff like this - https://tinyurl.com/m4haw6b). As you'd expect I don't agree with all the views about Everton on the thread, but then there's probably some Saints fans who wouldn't either.

fwiw I'm bit ambivalent about the Moshiri money and his intentions re wage bill, but seems to be the way the Prem's going these days (ie players' wages increasing faster than even revenues).

Maybe I am, or maybe they just didn't impress me much?

(I bet you had to look up their list of achievements ;) )

You don't remember the great Howard Kendall years? Really? Reid, Steven, Gray, then the boy Line-Aker. They were a very good side for 2-3 years.

Everton fan in peace here. Had a look at thread to see reaction/thoughts of Saints fans, seems a decent forum so decided to sign up for sensible exchange of views (genuinely not arsed whose groundsman's got the biggest lawnmower or mows the funkiest pitch pattern etc - would much rather Everton were known for stuff like this - https://tinyurl.com/m4haw6b). As you'd expect I don't agree with all the views about Everton on the thread, but then there's probably some Saints fans who wouldn't either.

fwiw I'm bit ambivalent about the Moshiri money and his intentions re wage bill, but seems to be the way the Prem's going these days (ie players' wages increasing faster than even revenues).

Serious question how do you see the Moshiri takeover going? For all the talk of a billionaire owner (we also have one) would you want your team splurging 100m in one go and buying your success or would you prefer the saints approach of gradually building upon each season? Who would you have wanted as manager if you were chairman? Will you be able to hold on to the likes of lukaku now this takeovers been done?

So we don't get the compensation, we have to carry on paying the Koemans to not work AND pay for a new manager and his staff. It would cost us millions. Seems like madness

Agreed absolute madness, and we would still have all our players poached by Everton and whom ever else....

So we don't get the compensation, we have to carry on paying the Koemans to not work AND pay for a new manager and his staff. It would cost us millions. Seems like madness

Yes, but they clearly wouldn't be doing it lightly. Given that permission was given for RK to move/talk, it seems plausible that Everton/RK aren't providing us with assurances we want...and *that* may be worth paying millions for.

P.S Thanks, KBilly.