• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

A proper idiot is one that genuinely be!ieves that the reason people don't agree with him is because they don't understand, and that if he repeats himself often enough then the penny will eventually drop.

It never crosses his mind that the real reason that people don't agree with him is because he is a proper idiot.

You've got the City & Guilds, pal. Find a Wilbur Ross quote about Brexit, AFTER Trump won the election and he was given his orders, although you probably think he make the final decisions rather than the elected politicians like Paul Ryan voting for them in Congress and the Senate, where republicans like Ryan hold a majority. Face it pal, you're on the run and getting more embarrassing each time you troll....

To repeat, all I said was that whoever was elected would not be naturally disposed to free trade, so there may be complications, a pretty low evidential threshold.

You've cited a mom-and-apple quote before anything has actually happened. Zilch. Shall we wait and see -and then assess it against my precise statement.

Suggest your desperation to pin something on me is getting the better of you. I'm flattered by the attention but once again you're not doing yourself any favours, little kipper.

Edited by shurlock

You've cited a mom-and-apple quote before anything has actually happened.

Its a bit more complicated pal. If you've followed the primaries closely (obviously you haven't), you'll have noted that there has been hardening on both sides against free trade.

"Free trade will not have an ally in the White House next year"

You’d (the UK) certainly not be back of the queue, that I can tell you.

Stop it, pal, you're cracking me up....:lol:

(On second thoughts, keep it coming. It's like watching Laurel & Hardy rolled into one)

Cruise Missile - Guided Missile - You're a comedy genius, pal. Give us another clever play on words. Oh, you have...Shurlock - Sherlock.

Your Brexit posts are far funnier though, pal...

Stop it, pal, you're cracking me up....:lol:

(On second thoughts, keep it coming. It's like watching Laurel & Hardy rolled into one)

Shall we wait and see. Thanks for reminding me: so far, nothing I've said is incorrect -admittedly it was a fairly bland statement - that only you could hopelessly trip over. But perhaps you'll have your day in the sun yet, my pasty little kipper :lol:

Edited by shurlock

so far, nothing I've said is incorrect

Quite possibly the funniest thing you've posted, pal. You're just a gift that keeps giving...

Keep going. This is up there with an Office script for embarrassment, but I'm sure you can do better. Unfortunately all your Remainer pals have deserted you, pal, so you're on your own....pal.

Quite possibly the funniest thing you've posted, pal. You're just a gift that keeps giving...

Keep going. This is up there with an Office script for embarrassment, but I'm sure you can do better. Unfortunately all your Remainer pals have deserted you, pal, so you're on your own....pal.

You're flapping and flustered. Your bizarre hard-on for me means you're having to invent things that haven't happened or even started yet -desperately trying to call a 'result'. Truly straw-clutching stuff, little kipper.

To repeat: all I said is that whoever won the election would not be instinctively free trade (correct) -and the situation was more complicated than trustingly suggested by Brexiters pontificating about a bright new dawn and the benefits of going it alone.

Edited by shurlock

Every day brings more good news for the Brexiteers and the UK as a whole. Read this and be optimistic.

America could help Britain by playing the “rich uncle” role during Brexit negotiations, according to the man tipped to be Donald Trump’s ambassador to the EU.

Ted Malloch, a longtime supporter of Mr Trump, said that he would advise him to offer the UK a “game-changing” trade deal with America, giving Britain leverage over Brussels during talks.

Mr Malloch, a businessman and academic based in Britain at the Henley Business School, provocatively suggested that Mr Trump should extend his trade offer to other EU countries on a bilateral basis. This would undermine the European Commission, which has exclusive responsibility for negotiating trade deals. Mr Malloch added that the EU-US trade deal now being negotiated would be scrapped by Mr Trump.

Another small step towards a better future for the UK. Mark my words, plans for a new UK/US trade deal will be announced during May's visit to meet Trump in February, lined up by Farage and Bojo.

Every day brings more good news for the Brexiteers and the UK as a whole. Read this and be optimistic.

Another small step towards a better future for the UK. Mark my words, plans for a new UK/US trade deal will be announced during May's visit to meet Trump in February, lined up by Farage and Bojo.

May, Trump, Farage, and BoJo. The new age 4 horsemen.

Plans now :lol:

All hot air and dribble until anything concrete happens and we can judge whether it's a good deal for the UK. Sums up your posts really.

Plans now :lol:

All hot air and dribble until anything happens and we can judge whether it's a good deal for the UK. Sums up your posts really.

Does that not sum up EVERYTHING to do with 'Brexit'?

Until anything actually happens it all just hot air and dribble! Article 50 hasn't even been triggered yet, so isn't it a bit too early for EITHER side to claim victory?

Until anything actually happens it all just hot air and dribble! Article 50 hasn't even been triggered yet, so isn't it a bit too early for EITHER side to claim victory?

You're forgetting that we won the referendum. I'd call that a victory. All that's left is the EU to break up in the next 12 months and my life will be complete.

Interesting interview from Germany with Philip Hammond.

Don't mess with us

https://www.welt.de/english-news/article161182946/Philip-Hammond-issues-threat-to-EU-partners.html

I feel a song coming on:

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Junker

If you think we're on the run

We are the boys who will stop your little game

We are the boys who will make you think again

‘Cos who do you think you are kidding Mr Junker

If you think old Britain's done

Mrs. May, tells you Tuesday, exactly what will come

She'll lower taxes, get trade deals and Brexit will be fun

So watch out Mr. Junker, You have met your match in us

If you think you'll crush us, We're afraid you've missed the bus

'Cos who do you think you are kidding Mr. Junker

If you think old Britain's done

You're forgetting that we won the referendum. I'd call that a victory. All that's left is the EU to break up in the next 12 months and my life will be complete.

I think your life will only be complete when you die as there is no chance of the EU breaking up

I think your life will only be complete when you die as there is no chance of the EU breaking up

William Hill Odds on Next Country to Leave EU

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Country[/TD]

[TD]Odds[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Greece[/TD]

[TD]2/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Italy[/TD]

[TD]2/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]France[/TD]

[TD]7/2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Netherlands[/TD]

[TD]11/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Hungary[/TD]

[TD]14/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ireland[/TD]

[TD]16/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cyprus[/TD]

[TD]20/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Denmark[/TD]

[TD]33/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Austria[/TD]

[TD]33/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Czech Republic[/TD]

[TD]33/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Germany[/TD]

[TD]33/1[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

If France and Italy leave, the EU is dead...

Is there actually a logical or practical reason why an EU country can't have some control of its borders and have access to the single market? The only reason I see at the moment is that a few politicians in Brussels consider it "having a cake and eating it".

I'm sure if the people of France and Germany were polled they would prefer to have some control.

Is there actually a logical or practical reason why an EU country can't have some control of its borders and have access to the single market? The only reason I see at the moment is that a few politicians in Brussels consider it "having a cake and eating it".

I'm sure if the people of France and Germany were polled they would prefer to have some control.

Thats the Customs Union - pretty much what the Common Market was before the European Union.

Thats the Customs Union - pretty much what the Common Market was before the European Union.

Today Theresa May will confirm that we will be leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union. On that basis, there will not be a Norway style deal with the EU. I will leave it up to you as to when you will admit that the Norway option will not happen and when the £50 bet we agreed will become payable to your nominated charity.

Today Theresa May will confirm that we will be leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union. On that basis, there will not be a Norway style deal with the EU. I will leave it up to you as to when you will admit that the Norway option will not happen and when the £50 bet we agreed will become payable to your nominated charity.

25F0C70B00000578-2963721-image-a-6_1424597129744.jpg

Thanks for giving this the thumbs-up. I realise that it must have been difficult for you.

Why's that Les? Today will be May's last chance to spout meaningless Brexiter dribble "we want to be global", "we want a constructive relationship" "we want the best deal for Britain".

It's now time to deliver. Please try not to s**t the bed as you finally have to face up to some hard choices and their consequences.

Edited by shurlock

Why's that Les? Today will be May's last chance to spout meaningless Brexiter dribble "we want to be global", "we want a constructive relationship" "we want the best deal for Britain".

It's now time to deliver. Please try not to s**t the bed as you finally have to face up to some hard choices and their consequences.

The time to deliver, Shatlock, is after Article 50 has been triggered and negotiations begin in earnest. What are these hard choices and consequences you think that I will have to face? I certainly won't be sh*tting the bed, as I'm totally relaxed about the whole thing and will be cracking open a celebratory bottle of champagne when Article 50 is triggered.

Global Britain = The UK as a minimal regulation, free trade nirvana - that's exactly what leave voters in the north and old manufacturing towns had in mind. Boris Johnson and William Rees-Mogg, those well-known champions of the people, must be chortling into their Pimms at the stitch-up they're attempting to pull off. Trump, in comparison, almost seems honest.

Edited by shurlock

PM states staying in single market is for "all intents and purposes would not be leaving the EU"

"But the prime minister promised to push for the "greatest possible" access to the single market following Brexit".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38641208

We'll have to wait and see how much is real and how much wordplay and semantics.

Edited by buctootim

If and when it happens Wes, if and when.

Paul Nuttall already threatening Parliament and the Lords should they vote down the final deal, even though we don't yet know its contents or whether it's a 'good' or 'bad' deal. Of course, the alternative -should the deal be rejected- is likely to the hardest of hard Brexits.

Les, Baldrick, GM et al. levels of fanaticism right there.

Edited by shurlock

There's no such thing as " hard Brexit" it's just a made up phrase that remoaners use to try and con the British public ( again). It was never used before the vote , didn't feature during the campaign , it's just meaningless . As May pointed out today , staying in the single market is staying in the EU. Or as Andrew Neil said to Little Timmy on Sunday " your idea of leaving is to stay in".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reality that you seem not to accept is the fact that UK has serious difficulties in competing in an open market, it has one of the lowest productivity in the EU, no commodities and hardly any manufacturing apart from foreign ones who are here for the single market

But the future will not be as easy as you suggest I doubt the USA will allow us to compete on a level playing field to access their public sector in selling stuff which because of devaluation is relatively competitive and the UK Japanese car manufacturers are unlikely to be welcome there either but hey ho onward we go.

Of course there is hope that we can succeed in the new era but it is only hope there is no real evidence it is going to happen rather like people saying in the past that SFC will be challenging for Champions League football just a hope not a reality.

Paul Nuttall already threatening Parliament and the Lords should they vote down the final deal, even though we don't yet know its contents or whether it's a 'good' or 'bad' deal. Of course, the alternative -should the deal be rejected- is likely to the hardest of hard Brexits.

Les, Baldrick, GM et al. levels of fanaticism right there.

The only reason we won't get a good deal, is a political one. May was quite right in her approach of being constructive with our friends in Europe. However, if they choose not to be constructive, then they will be cutting off their noses. Today's speech gives some certainty in that the default position will be a clean brexit (as opposed to a dirty brexit) and let's see what transpires in terms of a trade deal.

We've opened a negotiating position and laid down a few markers. It will be interesting to see the responses of the elected leaders of the 27 nation states.

The £'s best one day performance since 2008 would suggest that the markets seem relatively pleased with the position.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

There's no such thing as " hard Brexit" it's just a made up phrase that remoaners use to try and con the British public ( again). It was never used before the vote , didn't feature during the campaign , it's just meaningless . As May pointed out today , staying in the single market is staying in the EU. Or as Andrew Neil said to Little Timmy on Sunday " your idea of leaving is to stay in".

Clean, hard whatever - all speak to the idea that there is a spectrum of options which require different levels of compromise on dimensions of market access, free movement and other areas involving trade-offs.

https://www.ft.com/content/d67557f8-dca3-11e6-86ac-f253db7791c6

The hardest of hard Brexits is a default reversion to WTO rules (to the extent that's actually permissible).

Edited by shurlock

It is possible to leave the EU and remain in the customs union and single market that is soft Brexit but that would entail the free movement of labour but probably would be much better economically.

It would really have been better if Cameron had given this speech last year so that people really understood what the options were.

But I am with you I cannot see how it is politically possible to Brexit and still not be able to have our own trade deals and still have free movement of labour.

You obviously think we can trade better with the whole world when we out of the EU than within if that is the case then you will be right but there is no real evidence for your point of view and a lot against it.

Again with the UK there is little evidence that the economy after BREXIT will be in a better shape for all citizens than before and I think people's standard of living will fall including Pensioners in Europe who might not be guaranteed their pension increases in future coupled with the fact that their pensions are what 20% less than they were.

But only time will tell just as time will tell how Saints will perform in the next few months

Needless to say, LD is being convenient with the truth. The idea that voters were under no doubt about the terms and consequences of a 'leave' vote i.e. leaving the EU meant unambiguously leaving the single market to is horse**** . If it was crystal-clear, leading members of the leave campaign certainly did their best to muddy matters.

Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market

Daniel Hannan MEP

Wouldn’t it be terrible if we were really like Norway and Switzerland? Really? They’re rich. They’re happy. They’re self-governing

Nigel Farage, Ukip leader

The Norwegian option, the EEA option, I think that it might be initally attractive for some business people

Matthew Elliot, Vote Leave chief executive

Increasingly, the Norway option looks the best for the UK

Arron Banks, Leave.EU founder

Only a madman would actually leave the market

Owen Paterson MP, Vote Leave backer

Edited by shurlock

In this time of noational importance it would perhaps be good for people to stop using the word Remoaners.

You have got more than you ever wished for and should now show some decency and be a good winner and pull back some of the devisive terms.

I voted remain but respect the vote and now am looking forward to the brave new world with a bit of trepidation. Teresa May IMO showed true statesmanship in her speech lets hope the leavers can do the same

Other opinions are available of course, but on the very day that inflation jumps yet again I think that low inflation, a stable currency, and tariff-free access to the Single Market are all pretty important to the continued success of our trading economy and hence the welfare of our people. Therefore, something along the lines of the 'Norway' model of semi-detached relationship with the EU was probably the least worst option open to us. Not to be it seems. The PM states that she wants to see a tariff-free trade deal negotiated with the EU - well all I can say in reply is that wanting something, and then getting it, are entirely different things.

Unless they intend to drown their sorrows, methinks that very few in the worlds of British industry or finance will be joyfully "cracking open a bottle of champaign" tonight as their government sets about the grim business of building a tariff wall between this nation and what is indisputably its primary export market. This nation devised and joined the EU Single Market in order to increase its economic prosperity - which it did. So it follows then that our leaving it will most probably have the opposite effect. As the cherry on his particularly unappetising cake the latest rhetoric emerging from government indicates that we look set to exchange what was often (but obviously not always) a collaborative relationship with our nearest neighbours for a confrontational one - seldom a good idea given the history of this continent.

But I suppose that faced with two impossible choices - i.e. trying to hold her party together or acting in the true national interest - a weak PM has made the decision to put party first. But it is quite possible that even this limited objective may be an exceptionally difficult one to achieve in practice given how split the Tory party is on this issue. Remember this government has but a small majority in the House of Commons - so methinks that it wouldn't take very much of a rebellion from Tory backbenchers to see that majority overturned and for the Government to be defeated when it becomes time to vote on the issue.

Some will say that this is what (51.9%) of the electorate voted for. But that is not really sustainable, in my opinion, because had the British people known six months ago that this dismal outcome is where they were headed for then I don't believe for one moment that a 'Leave' majority would have been realised.

I'm not sure that the principal European countries don't need us more than we need them. I do know that our exports to France,Germany and Holland are by far outstripped by our imports, as are all our EU imports. Now they'll keep on wanting to sell us their crap won't they, so May has got it about right, it's now up to those who want to keep exporting stuff to us to sue for terms and not for us to go cap in hand looking for crumbs. The populace have decided, that's not in doubt so there's no point in trying to alter that.

Needless to say, LD is being convenient with the truth. The idea that voters were under no doubt about the terms and consequences of a 'leave' vote i.e. leaving the EU meant unambiguously leaving the single market to is horse**** . If it was crystal-clear, leading members of the leave campaign certainly did their best to muddy matters.

Daniel Hannan MEP

Wouldn’t it be terrible if we were really like Norway and Switzerland? Really? They’re rich. They’re happy. They’re self-governing

The Norwegian option, the EEA option, I think that it might be initally attractive for some business people

Daniel Hannan MEP

All very well you trying to justify your argument by quoting several people out of context in order to illustrate that the electorate didn't know what they were voting for, but I'm afraid that it doesn't wash. I'm particularly impressed by your bare-faced gall attempting to convince us that Farage would prefer us to negotiate a Norway/Switzerland type deal with what that would entail, rather than a clean break from the EU, negotiating the best deal for access to the single market, but prepared to adopt a fall-back position via the WTO if that fails.

This question of whether the electorate were aware that a vote to Leave the EU was a vote to leave the single market was covered amply during the Referendum and clarified in the simplest terms by the major players on both sides of the campaign.

I realise that it might not have penetrated your brain, but patently you would rather ignore the statements made by Cameron, Osborne, Johnson, Gove, Leadsom, etc. that leaving the EU meant leaving the single market.

The position should have been crystal clear from their statements, but the ambiguity that muddied the waters came from the Eurocrats, who tried to assert that access to the single market would mean that we would have to accept their four freedoms. This is simply not true, as those are the terms of membership of the single market, not access. As has been cited recently in this debate, even North Korea can have access to the single market if it desired.

I applaud May's speech today which leaves no doubt about how we will approach the negotiations once Article 50 has been triggered. She has taken a conciliatory tone in expressing a desire to maintain a friendly relationship with the EU and the hope that in our mutual interests they will not cut of their nose to spite their face. She did well too to leave them in no doubt that if they thought that they could adopt an attitude of making an example of us by punishing us to deter other member states from following us out of the door, we would be prepared to take steps with our tax regime to make the UK very attractive for inward investment.

The likes of Junker, Merkel and the EU negotiators now have clarity about what we will and will not accept, so the ball is firmly in their court. We have two years from March to negotiate the best possible deal with the possibility that some seismic political changes affecting the Eurozone and other member states during that time will only strengthen our hand.

And? Just more evidence that the leave campaign was trying to be all things to all people. See Hannan's mea culpa on Newsnight. For a proposition that was supposedly clear-cut, all I see is repeated evasion and qualifications. Just like the lies about £350m for the NHS, posters linking the migrant crisis to the EU, NHS logos on publicity material, claims Turkey's looming membership. The list goes on pal.

Read Shipman's book: the leave campaign knew it was being loose with truth but the truth was less important than message discipline and being wilfully provocative to dictate the news cycle.

Edited by shurlock

I'm not sure that the principal European countries don't need us more than we need them ...

UK exports of goods to the rest of the EU accounted for 47% of total UK goods exports in 2015. I understand that number reduced to 44% at the last available official estimate. According to NIESR (the National Institute of Economic and Social Research) data EU goods exports to the UK account for about 16% of its total exports of goods.

So in reality we need them rather MORE than they need us.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction