Liverpool EFL Cup Semi First Leg Buildup

St Chalet

What a bizarre thread. Seems to be full of infighting, preferences to lose and the most negative predictions I've seen. And a bear comes out of hibernation in the middle of it. But anyway at least I'll talk about the game

It is only my 4th semi final in 40 odd years so an occasion to look forward to. Hence taking a half day holiday, driving 600 miles and won't get home till 3am! I've seen plenty of games this season and by god we have been poor in many of them but I'm still hopeful.

I reckon we will sneak it 1-0 with Liverpool dominating but missing plenty of chances and an inspired MoM performance by Yoshida. Still not decided what our best line up is but I would go with

Forster

Stephens, VVD, Yoshida, Bertrand

Romeu, Davis, Hojberg

Redmond, Rodrigues, Tadic

KTF

Good man! you are right - this is a semi final, let's not give up hope. i still remember '76, the night before the final when the pundits were predicting a 7-0 win for Man U. let's hope the team get their heads together and do themselves proud. we may not win it over 2 legs as 'pool are very strong at home but we have a chance!!!

Forster

Cedric, VVD, Yoshida, Bertrand

Romeu, Davis, Clasie

Redmond, Rodriguez, Tadic

1-0 Redmond 1st half

2-0 Rodriguez extra time 2nd half

Likely team, I agree, but image a sneaky suspicion McQueen may start instead of Tadić. And Sims off the bench.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

If it's not this then there is something wrong. Forget about the academy for 1 game, and play our best side.

I'd go with that line up too. Trying to be positive, but like many others just can't see where the goals are coming from. Just hoping for a big performance. Hopefully we go for it; just have a feeling Puel may play for a 0-0 like last time, which wouldn't be the worst result.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not bothering to come down to Southampton for this one, just not confident enough of a result with our current form (plus the Southern Strike means I'll be getting home at 2am). Hope I end up being proved to have made the wrong decision and we smash 'em!

Not too sure what to think on this one. I don't really know what are best team is and I think Claude's the same. When I think back to dominating games earlier in the season and playing entertaining football, (albeit without the goals), we seem to have lost our way and, maybe, confidence in the system. I think Liverpool's weaknesses are in defence so I think we need to try and unsettle them there, therefore, on reflection I think we should start with:

Forster

Cedric, Yoshida,VvD, Bertrand

Romeu, Davis, Hojbjerg, Tadic

Long, Rodriguez

With the right mental attitude we could sneak it however, as with most games this season, I'm not feeling confident.

One thing's for sure we need to make a lot of noise tonight!

Feels like our season has never really got going, players not yet found their form or potential. This could finally be the big one we need to really get motivated. They will come here expecting to win no matter how many times Klopp tells his players not to get complacent. That means they are vulnerable. Hit em hard and fast and make all the early chances count and they will be down and out, cricket score them at home and then park the bus at Anfield. Win at Wembley. COYRS

Tough game. I reckon Liverpool will be well up for this after their young side was embarrassed in the FA Cup. They might see this as their "bonus trophy", when at the end of the season, if they win nothing else, they can say "at least we won one cup." Then throw in the fact that they will likely face United in the final if they win, which the TV stations will get all excited over.

But God do I hate them. I really, really want us to show up tonight, put recent form behind us and give ourselves a great chance going into the second leg.

My prediction? Head says: We put on a performance tonight but for all our huff and puff it's a lack of converting chances that lets us down. I'm having it as a score draw tonight, with them getting the better of us in the second leg. Heart says: We stuff 'em!

We won't win. The best result we will get is a draw and then we'll get thumped up there. Only our 4th semi final in 40 years but I'm not even going to bother setting my alarm for 5 a.m. Did that 6 times for Europa games. You can stick it right up your ****ing arris Saints!

PREDICITON: 0-3 tie over before the return leg.

The only positive? We'll be able to rest our star players for that game and not risk them getting injured before we sell them in the summer.

This game could be a turning point in our season, but we are saints, so it won't be :(

I just hope the players show some passion and fight. I think we'll want it more.

Liverpool have tweeted a picture of all our ex players and spelt our name wrong.

Can anyone mock up a version where all the players have broken legs and Romeu is sitting on top of them?

Nope but there is this

liverpoolb.jpg

Edited by Mallagroth

I really hope there are a lot of people on here eating humble pie in the morning. Should be ashamed of yourselves with all the negativity. If you don't want to get behind the team get off this forum and be miserable alone.

Well this is a mature post.

So we aren't allowed to be pessimistic about a game then? Or if you ever doubt that saints will win a game you should delete your forum account, tear up your season ticket and never come back. Southampton are not for you.

:mcinnes:

Looking forward to abusing La Rat later

Abusing ex-players will look pretty lame if the worst happens, tonight fans have got to show the passion they're constantly accusing the players of lacking. It's rarely evident these days.

Talking of old heroes, I see Glasgae Rangers have done the ol' "gay wave" before

[video=youtube;VUjnIwF-ZhE]

So we aren't allowed to be pessimistic about a game then? Or if you ever doubt that saints will win a game you should delete your forum account, tear up your season ticket and never come back. Southampton are not for you.

Opens a post attacking its maturity with sarcasm. How ironic.

It's the general pessimism without any substance that riles me, not a realistic doubt that we might lose. Things like "Can't be bothered to even watch it", "we'll do well to lose 3-0". Forums just don't need those kinds of posts. Do I think we'll lose tonight? Not sure. Over the two legs? Probably. But as ever I hope Saints surprise me as they have done many times in the past (for better or worse). If it's all the same to you I'll stick with Southampton who I've supported my entire life, all the time being optimistic (and realistic) about any given match.

It's the general pessimism without any substance that riles me.

I think the last few league games have provided plenty of substance for my pessimism. Is it 5 shots on target in 270 minutes of football?

I really hope you enjoy the game, because for me there has been no enjoyment, apart from Jay's goal at Bournemouth, since we drew at home to the mighty Beer Scheva.

I think the last few league games have provided plenty of substance for my pessimism. Is it 5 shots on target in 270 minutes of football?

I really hope you enjoy the game, because for me there has been no enjoyment, apart from Jay's goal at Bournemouth, since we drew at home to the mighty Beer Scheva.

You actually enjoyed that?

Klopp expresses confusion as to why Lallana gets the bird from us.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/01/11/klopp-is-very-confused-by-southampton-fans/

He can understand why Lovren gets the abuse for the way he left, but is surprised that Lallana gets the same treatment, being as he is a local lad. Well Jurgen, Lallana acted no better than Lovren, rubbed our noses in it with the egotistical article thanking us for making him a star footballer, so arguably his local roots actually make his behaviour worse than Lovren's.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/01/11/klopp-is-very-confused-by-southampton-fans/

He can understand why Lovren gets the abuse for the way he left, but is surprised that Lallana gets the same treatment, being as he is a local lad. Well Jurgen, Lallana acted no better than Lovren, rubbed our noses in it with the egotistical article thanking us for making him a star footballer, so arguably his local roots actually make his behaviour worse than Lovren's.

Lallana doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as Lovren, I think others are more annoyed by him as everyone thought he would be here his whole career.

Much worse.

Expected no less from Lovren (he owed us no loyalty really), but you expect better from someone you brought through the academy, made your captain and made the player they are today.

Like every time we play them, I hope someone does a job on the rat.

Hope everyone gets behind the team tonight but a 5 minute rendition of

"Your babies not yours" (to lallana) and "your wife is a whore" (to Lovren and Lallana) wouldn't go a miss!

The problem comes when an academy boy says **** like this

"I've been at the club since I was 12 and I can only see my future lying with Southampton FC,"

"If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it."

Fans tend to fall for that crap....

The problem comes when an academy boy says **** like this

"I've been at the club since I was 12 and I can only see my future lying with Southampton FC,"

"If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it."

Fans tend to fall for that crap....

Never really fell for that crap, but what annoyed me was the way he was signing the scouse shirt and telling that kid he hopes to sign soon whilst at the world cup... on tv too, when he was still our player. Disrespectful little *****.

Never really fell for that crap, but what annoyed me was the way he was signing the scouse shirt and telling that kid he hopes to sign soon whilst at the world cup... on tv too, when he was still our player. Disrespectful little *****.

Exactly. Zero respect shown to the club who effectively made him the player he is today. His comments certainly came back to haunt him but the page in the echo was just plain stupid. I'd love to meet the brains behind that decision.

The trouble with klopp is he's falling for the scouse mentality where he thinks they are superior to everyone and can't understand why we're not grateful that they have deemed one of our players worthy of playing for such a 'mighty club'. As it is I'm just surprised that we're not all falling over ourselves in awe that they are coming here, maybe we should have a parade and lay out some red carpet for that mighty team we all wish we were

The trouble with klopp is he's falling for the scouse mentality where he thinks they are superior to everyone and can't understand why we're not grateful that they have deemed one of our players worthy of playing for such a 'mighty club'. As it is I'm just surprised that we're not all falling over ourselves in awe that they are coming here, maybe we should have a parade and lay out some red carpet for that mighty team we all wish we were

Horrible club in a horrible city with horrible fans.

Them and the blue lot across the park really have a chip on their shoulder and can't help but live in the past.

Easily 2 of my most hated clubs, chuck them just behind Pompey.

Much worse.

Expected no less from Lovren (he owed us no loyalty really), but you expect better from someone you brought through the academy, made your captain and made the player they are today.

"Your babies not yours" (to lallana) and "your wife is a whore" (to Lovren and Lallana) wouldn't go a miss!

Sorry but that's offensive and childish.

Spot on ;-)

Much worse.

This 100%. La Rat is a gutless ***** that melts in the face of vitriol. Forget Dejan (standard foreign Prem mercenary, yawn), give Lallana everything you've got!

Sorry but that's offensive and childish.

Kind of the point lad :mcinnes: ......

If you're going to give an opposition player abuse, may as well try and upset and rattle him rather than just halfheartedly boo every time they get the ball.

imo both Lovren and Lallana have a weak mentality and something like this would really affect them.

Horrible club in a horrible city with horrible fans.

Them and the blue lot across the park really have a chip on their shoulder and can't help but live in the past.

Easily 2 of my most hated clubs, chuck them just behind Pompey.

It's really not a horrible city.