The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

I've been pro-Puel since the start of the season and unfortunately the allure is slipping a little bit. Despite that, I agree with some posters and really reckon that if Puel had the summer to get in who he wanted to get in and got rid of those who weren't interested, we'd be playing much better. It's evident on the pitch who is willing to play for this club (and Puel) and who isn't, players like Romeu, Davis, Cedric, Yoshida put in tons of effort the entire game. Other players with slightly larger egos seem to have dropped in performance this season. If all players gave 100% then fair enough it's down to tactics, but at the minute some are hovering around 60-70%.

I feel if players were able to adapt to Puel's style and respect him a bit more, he'd have a lot of success. I'm not going to make excuses because there have been some absolutely awful performances this season and that obviously needs to change one way or another, but I think Puel should be given more of a chance.

Funnily enough though, between them Davis and Cedric were responsible for at least half of the slow-down in our attacking play against Hull, as (aside from one admittedly good run from Davis in the first half) they both generally preferred to stop after advancing ten yards and pop the ball back to the CBs, who eventually popped it back for Forster to kick into touch. We've done this so often this season - reasonable field position advancing into midfield given up for another pointless GK punt (or increasingly, a mistake at the back that puts us under immediate pressure).

I think we will keep Puel for another season which will pave the way for Brendan Rogers and continue the Celtic link.I heard through the grapevine that he tried to get out of the Celtic job when the Saints job came up.Perfect fit for us.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

We haven't reached a major cup final for the best part of forty years. Forty years. But celebrating that fact is tin pot now?

Well I did celebrate it and will be celebrating it for the rest of my supporting life.

It's perfectly possible we won't make another one for a decade or two or more. People in 1979 thought the next one would be quite soon after too, no doubt.

I can only assume you are thirteen years old because fu ck me you need to support the club actually in front of you, not the one you think you should be supporting.

You mean fourteen years? Unless I dreamt the FA Cup final in 2003.

I think we will keep Puel for another season which will pave the way for Brendan Rogers and continue the Celtic link.I heard through the grapevine that he tried to get out of the Celtic job when the Saints job came up.Perfect fit for us.

This guy knows his stuff.

Can't see Rodgers bailing on Celtic just yet, but he will after one more season especially if he has a decent crack at the CL next year. His work will be done.

He is made for us and perfectly capable of getting to a disappointing 9th place with some regularity.

He showed us absolutely zero respect when he was Liverpool manager, and i wouldn't want that pearly-toothed c*nt anywhere near our club.

If I was a sad gimp with no life, I'd go trawling back through the forum for all those threads under Koeman and Poch, stating how boring 7th and 8th was and how it would be much better to finishing 15th and have a cup final. I wonder how much overlap there would be between those saying that and those who now want Puel out.

As it is, I'm only a slightly melancholy gimp with no life but work that needs doing. I'll leave it to someone else.

If I was a sad gimp with no life, I'd go trawling back through the forum for all those threads under Koeman and Poch, stating how boring 7th and 8th was and how it would be much better to finishing 15th and have a cup final. I wonder how much overlap there would be between those saying that and those who now want Puel out.

As it is, I'm only a slightly melancholy gimp with no life but work that needs doing. I'll leave it to someone else.

To be honest, I think not that much overlap.

I think of the people on this forum who have always valued a cup final over a higher league finish are far less likely to be Puel-out nutcases.

People like Whelk, VFFT or Lord D I am pretty sure agreed with me on cup vs league and agree with me now that at very least the manager deserves to at least finish the season.

Always said I'd take 17th if we actually won a cup so mid table after a non winning cup final is perfectly acceptable to me ( more so given other factors like poor recruitment last summer and having to cope with Europe this season).

Always said I'd take 17th if we actually won a cup so mid table after a non winning cup final is perfectly acceptable to me ( more so given other factors like poor recruitment last summer and having to cope with Europe this season).

Sounds like a palace fan 12 months ago

Qualifying for Europe, playing exciting football and beating the top teams was much more enjoyable / fun, than watching sh!te football and loosing in a cup final......

Brendan Rodgers' midlife crisis, shiny teeth, 'showed character' quotes and 3 names in envelopes will have probably already lost the dressing room before even arriving. He's up there with McClaren for ineptness. Only reason he got anywhere near the title was Luis Suarez.

If he becomes Saints' manager it will be a period of non attendance and a cursory glance at the results/table on a Monday morning for me, for the duration of his tenure. Which very likely would be less than 18 months.

Brendan Rodgers' midlife crisis, shiny teeth, 'showed character' quotes and 3 names in envelopes will have probably already lost the dressing room before even arriving. He's up there with McClaren for ineptness. Only reason he got anywhere near the title was Luis Suarez.

If he becomes Saints' manager it will be a period of non attendance and a cursory glance at the results/table on a Monday morning for me, for the duration of his tenure. Which very likely would be less than 18 months.

Brendan Rodgers will never come to Saints, his massively over inflated ego would never let him. Thankfully.

We haven't reached a major cup final for the best part of forty years. Forty years. But celebrating that fact is tin pot now?

Well I did celebrate it and will be celebrating it for the rest of my supporting life.

It's perfectly possible we won't make another one for a decade or two or more. People in 1979 thought the next one would be quite soon after too, no doubt.

I can only assume you are thirteen years old because fu ck me you need to support the club actually in front of you, not the one you think you should be supporting.

There is no denying that as a club we have massively underachieved (in terms of major trophies), but what exactly are you celebrating?

I would say getting to a final is an achievement, and as a day out it was brilliant, but being runners up in a cup that 80-90% of PL teams play their reserves, until the semi final, is not a success or something to celebrate, IMO.

In recent years, us, Sunderland, Bradford, Swansea (winners), Cardiff, Birmingham and Villa have all got to the final.... To me this suggests it's really not taken that seriously by the bigger teams.

To everyone that thinks Marco Silva is a second coming of Pochettino his style is totally different. His sides are often very defensive and rely on a counter attack which I'm sure will excite all the fans.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/tactical-philosophy-marco-silva/

"Even at a side with a crowd as demanding of dominating, attacking football like Olympiakos, Silva’s priority was organisation and defensive structure. His main form of attack is counter attack – the Greeks even used to joke that his side were so eager to counter, they would often consider giving the ball to their opponents just to break on them."

Not sure this will be the type of manager we would want.

Silva seems to be the top choice on here.

Perhaps a poll Mods?

Manager for next season - Silva or Puel

A choice of 'knee-jerk', go with the fashionable flow, or 'inertia' , do nothing ...

I'd like to think we do things in a more planned and controlled fashion. Or perhaps I've been listening to too many of Les Reed's end of season videos.

Edited by Badger

A choice of 'knee-jerk', go with the fashionable flow, or 'inertia' , do nothing ...

I'd like to think we do things in a more planned and controlled fashion. Or perhaps I've been listening to too many of Les Reed's end of season videos.

Les is watching upto 6 managers at a time - Proper, Prior, Planning, Prevents, P*ss, Poor, Performance

If he doesnt have Silva on his radar you need to be worried.

Marco was heavily tipped and fancied before Puels arrival and his Hull stint has further enhanced his reputation.

If we dont snap him up this summer someone else will

To everyone that thinks Marco Silva is a second coming of Pochettino his style is totally different. His sides are often very defensive and rely on a counter attack which I'm sure will excite all the fans.

"Even at a side with a crowd as demanding of dominating, attacking football like Olympiakos, Silva’s priority was organisation and defensive structure. His main form of attack is counter attack – the Greeks even used to joke that his side were so eager to counter, they would often consider giving the ball to their opponents just to break on them."

Sounds very similar to Koeman......

There is no denying that as a club we have massively underachieved (in terms of major trophies), but what exactly are you celebrating?

I would say getting to a final is an achievement, and as a day out it was brilliant, but being runners up in a cup that 80-90% of PL teams play their reserves, until the semi final, is not a success or something to celebrate, IMO.

In recent years, us, Sunderland, Bradford, Swansea (winners), Cardiff, Birmingham and Villa have all got to the final.... To me this suggests it's really not taken that seriously by the bigger teams.

I'm celebrating the fact we got to a cup final. It was brilliant.

Ill be content with a new manager who can win games.

Claus was day dreaming too when Henry ran past him in the first minute that's for sure.

Very lucky the ref didn't send him off as I recall. Henry could (and probably should) have made much more of it.

There are 4 things I want from a manager:

1) He plays high tempo football. Possession or counter attacking doesn't matter to me, as long as the tempo is high and supporters aren't bored senseless

2) he's committed to developing young players. I believe Koeman didn't even let the younger players train with the 1st team. How are they supposed to improve if they aren't challenged?

3) Cups are prioritised and not viewed as irritating distractions (Pochettino clearly did think that way). I want us to be doing everything possible to have more days out at Wembley, and hopefully see us win something in my lifetime

4) he gets the most out of the squad he's given

Puel is not a terrible manager as some claim, and it's obviously not been a disastrous season, but the football has been mostly slow and dull and I think our squad is better than some claim. Puel hasn't got the best out of them.

Ultimately it's irrelevant what supporters think, if the senior players don't like him he'll be gone

Agreed.

I don't rate Puel. I think the man tactically is weak. He has the charisma of a wet fart. This man couldn't inspire a Eskimo to get out of bed on a heatwave let alone get a football team to kick on.

It's not rocket science most the players look disinterested / annoyed forced to play dull football.

For me I would sack Puel and either get Ranieri or Howe

Who would you get and why?

Ranieri?? :D

If this is such a critical issue, then why has it been so difficult for us to make an impact in this competition until this season?

Puel managed to achieve what Pochettino, Adkins and Koeman have all failed to do, not to mention the managers we had outside of the top flight for so many years.

The league cup final appearance and our performance in the competition (the only team in it's history to reach the final without conceding I believe?) deserves credit.

If this is such a critical issue, then why has it been so difficult for us to make an impact in this competition until this season?

Puel managed to achieve what Pochettino, Adkins and Koeman have all failed to do, not to mention the managers we had outside of the top flight for so many years.

The league cup final appearance and our performance in the competition (the only team in it's history to reach the final without conceding I believe?) deserves credit.

Because we played our reserves and didn't give a ***** about it. A bit like the other top clubs... starting to understand my point...?

he is now up there with Gus Poyet and Alan Pardew. Well done him

I dread to think the state of Gabbiadini after a few more games. Puel will drain the drive and talent out of him

Because we played our reserves and didn't give a ***** about it. A bit like the other top clubs... starting to understand my point...?

Fu cking laughable. This season is the only season we ever tried in the League Cup because before that we were big old mega-club Southampton too busy working on European domination to worry about the little old league cup.

So Cedric, VVD, Bertrand, Wanyama, Tadic, Mane, Davis and Pelle are reserves now then? Because that's who played in our six-one cup tonking under Koeman. Plus Long, JWP, Clasie, Romeu and Stek. The only play who could be described as a reserve in that game was Caulker and even then he was a recognised name signing.

I'd do the same exercise for the Sheffield United atrocity the season before (hint: Morgan, Victor, Mane, Long, Fonte, Bertrand, Forster, Clyne) but you've embarrassed yourself enough already.

22Stekelenburg

2Soares

26Caulker

17van Dijk

21Bertrand

4Clasie

12Wanyama

11Tadic

10Mané

8 Davis

19 Pelle

The side that lost 6-1 to Liverpool . **** me if that's our reserves ,Koeman underachieved only getting 6th with the first team. We must have had some side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it hard to believe you are this mega fan traipsing round Europe supporting your beloved Saints. Spending thousands!

You come across like one of the biggest whingey clueless deluded fans.

Beginning to think you may be a Glasgow creation.

Such a winner - hated Wembley I expect.

I find it hard to believe you are this mega fan traipsing round Europe supporting your beloved Saints. Spending thousands!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Reminds me of an entitled millennial co_ck.

I'd rather have a manager who gives a ****e to be honest. We are not a top club, top clubs have the Champions League to worry about and the strength in depth to stick their reserves out in these games.

Perhaps that's why I whinge, when it takes up your time and hard earned money, it tends to hit a little harder.

It's easy to say we're not that bad to watch when you sit at home and watching week doesn't cost you a penny.

I enjoyed wembley, had a fantastic day, gutted about the result however and don't think it's tonne celebrated mind.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Reminds me of an entitled millennial co_ck.

:lol: ark at the super fan who doesn't attend games unless they're a couple of miles from his house.

I'd rather have a manager who gives a ****e to be honest. We are not a top club, top clubs have the Champions League to worry about and the strength in depth to stick their reserves out in these games.

I agree. I think we should be going out to win every cup we enter.

Just pointing out, that IMO, getting to the final of the smallest major competition in this country is not some massive achievement that we should be celebrating? Completly different if we win the thing.

I don't really think Puel has done a very good job. Not disastrous as some say, but certainly not as well as others have made out. I have concerns about next season and would prefer to see him gone this summer, but I'm realistic enough to know that won't happen.

I think this is what Puel has done to the fan base and split opinion. He's basically Arsene Wenger without the success.

Same as I said last summer - Silva.

However, unless we lose all the remaining games and end up 15th or so I think Puel stays - and given the injuries and holes in the squad he has had to deal with he probably deserves to stay.