The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

I like Silva, he's done well with what a is a very poor Hull team. Just as a comparison look at the Hull team on paper to the Palace team, massive difference in quality there Hull have no one that is the level of Benteke, Cabaye, Zaha etc. but handful of points between them.

Even Swansea have quality players like Sigurdsson and Llorente, who have Hull got?

IMO he's done a great job just keeping them in touch. Plus hardly like it's the only thing in his record, he did excellent with Estoril a completely unfashionable club in Portugal getting them promoted to the top division then got them to 4th and 5th.

We have underachieved under Puel, no whether the manager is ultimately to blame or the players have also underperformed a bit I don't know but I reckon our pre-season targets would have been higher then 9th, going out in the group stages of the Europa league (with a fairly easy group as well) we will only have 4 more points than Palace at the end of today and could be level with West Ham who have had a disastrous season.

Hardly like he wasn't backed in the transfer market, we've broken our record transfer twice this year.

Really without the league cup final he's ultimately not done very well, a C at best.

I like Silva, he's done well with what a is a very poor Hull team. Just as a comparison look at the Hull team on paper to the Palace team, massive difference in quality there Hull have no one that is the level of Benteke, Cabaye, Zaha etc. but handful of points between them.

Even Swansea have quality players like Sigurdsson and Llorente, who have Hull got?

IMO he's done a great job just keeping them in touch. Plus hardly like it's the only thing in his record, he did excellent with Estoril a completely unfashionable club in Portugal getting them promoted to the top division then got them to 4th and 5th.

We have underachieved under Puel, no whether the manager is ultimately to blame or the players have also underperformed a bit I don't know but I reckon our pre-season targets would have been higher then 9th, going out in the group stages of the Europa league (with a fairly easy group as well) we will only have 4 more points than Palace at the end of today and could be level with West Ham who have had a disastrous season.

Hardly like he wasn't backed in the transfer market, we've broken our record transfer twice this year.

Really without the league cup final he's ultimately not done very well, a C at best.

Hull conceded most goals from set pieces in PL. Silva has them using zonal marking which is not very reassuring. Zonal marking rarely works imo.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

So, if Puels replacement comes in next year, we finish in 8th/9th/10th, don't make it to a cup final and have a reasonable run of injuries and don't have the distraction of Europe will we have a 'Who would you replace Puels replacement with?' thread next year? What will be the minimum expectation to avoid this thread every year?

So many retards on here. The fact they had about fifteen senior players and sold their two best players in Jan doesn't register. And they were pretty much anchored to the bottom.

But naaaah he's done a sh1t job

he got 7 in

If Puel goes it won't be because of results. Top half and cup final is a good season for us. If he goes it'll be due to style of play, off the field performance ImO

If he goes it may well be because he has chosen not to stay ( and not some cosmetic stuff like wife couldn't settle). He may get a much better offer from France or elsewhere.

I read somewhere the other day that Eden Hazard put him among the world's top managers. Most on here would probably not agree with that, and anyway what the hell does Hazard know about football.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/chelsea/news/hazard-puel-among-worlds-top-managers_298164.html

If he goes it may well be because he has chosen not to stay ( and not some cosmetic stuff like wife couldn't settle). He may get a much better offer from France or elsewhere.

I read somewhere the other day that Eden Hazard put him among the world's top managers. Most on here would probably not agree with that, and anyway what the hell does Hazard know about football.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/chelsea/news/hazard-puel-among-worlds-top-managers_298164.html

Can we sign him then please? Just for old time's sake, like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hull conceded most goals from set pieces in PL. Silva has them using zonal marking which is not very reassuring. Zonal marking rarely works imo.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I have no issue with zonal loads of teams use zonal and do fine against set pieces it just depends on how your players implement it.

The criticism of zonal marking is because most of the commentators are old school and just like man marking, also Crystal Palace conceded as many goals from set pieces and they use man marking.

Yes lets change everything again, and go for another season where the manager is settling in......CP is in no way perfect, but he has done ok, give him the players he wants and another season. if anyone here honestly thinks we should be pushing for CL places, it won't happen if we change managers every year.

double post i know!!, but forgot to say, that Poch and Roko, were obviously using us a launch pad to a better team, not getting that vibe with CP, just as players can improve do can mangers, and he's hardly been awfull!

Upto 6 or 7 clubs could be looking for a new managet this summer so we will need to act fast and decisively.

Watford

Leicester

Saints

WHU

Arsenal

Possibly AFCB if Wenger leaves

So i think decisions and discussions will already be active and hopefully advanced.

Dont want another CB f*ck up

I will never forgive puel for the beer sheeva game at st.marys the way he set up the team that night was a disgrace

The whole Europa run was a disgrace. Why spend a season trying to quality if all you're going to do is play second string teams?

I will never forgive puel for the beer sheeva game at st.marys the way he set up the team that night was a disgrace

Who was there manager? He seemed a hard bastard. I'd get him in, tell him to give Tadic a boot up the fkn arse.

If we had another 15 points and a positive goal difference I'm sure no one would want him gone. Our league position masks a big decline in performance from day 1. I see the same style and problems we've had since our first game under Puel. If I thought he could fix it and improve us I wouldn't want him gone.

Is the big decline due to our manager or our constant loss of our better players every summer followed by poor recruitment last summer. If Puel had Victor, Pelle, Mane and a motivated Fonte this season would he have another 15 points this season? ( my gut feeling is yes) How would Koeman have fared with Hoj, Redmond, Stephens and Boufal in his squad last season.

Our "decline" can hardly be put down to just one thing like the manger. For starters several of the big boys have improved on last season which makes things harder than last season.

Is the big decline due to our manager or our constant loss of our better players every summer followed by poor recruitment last summer. If Puel had Victor, Pelle, Mane and a motivated Fonte this season would he have another 15 points this season? ( my gut feeling is yes) How would Koeman have fared with Hoj, Redmond, Stephens and Boufal in his squad last season.

Our "decline" can hardly be put down to just one thing like the manger. For starters several of the big boys have improved on last season which makes things harder than last season.

And a fit VVD all season

Upto 6 or 7 clubs could be looking for a new managet this summer so we will need to act fast and decisively.

Watford

Leicester

Saints

WHU

Arsenal

Possibly AFCB if Wenger leaves

So i think decisions and discussions will already be active and hopefully advanced.

Don't want another CB f*ck up

Not to mention Barcelona and PSG that could have onwards repercussions.

----------------------------------------------------

Not sure you can say several of the big boys have improved. If anything Arsenal are arguably worse than they were last year. Liverpool and Chelsea have improved, but then Leicester dropped out of that picture and I reckon both those clubs are benefiting from their lack of European football. Man Utd and Man City, arguable despite massive recruitment are not really any better than they were last year.

Also West Ham (who were around us last year) are worse than they were.

If you swap Chelsea for Leicester in last years picture, then the only significant movers are Liverpool who have gone from 7th up to 4th.

Basically Everton have replaced us and if you look our record against the mid table and lesser teams, teams we generally beat quite easily last year like Hull, Burnley, West Brom, Sunderland, Palace etc. are where our big points loss is from.

Not scoring enough goals being the main issue, home draws and losses to some pretty average teams is another 10-12 points alone.

Edited by tajjuk

And a fit VVD all season

Puel would be successful if we have....

. NO injuries

. Score with all shots

. Play minimum amount of games

. Dont have to play the top 6 teams

. Forster saved everything

. Had a world class squad

Unfortunately its not a perfect and easy world and we need a manager that is flexible and has imagination.

Someone like Mopo or Koeman.

. NO injuries

. Score with all shots

Unfortunately its not a perfect and easy world and we need a manager that is flexible and has imagination.

I was adding to a sensible post made by a sensible poster the above has no bearing on what Doddisalegend is saying... nothing for you to see here

That result kills me. We did setup to avoid being countered on, didn't exert ourselves too much. He would have been more than content with a 0-0 I'm sure.

I don't know why we played so tepid, they were a truly atrocious football team. Let's not kid ourselves, they were L1 level, which was shown up when they were humped in the knockout round. If we'd have gone and taken the game to them, we'd have won it comfortably.

Predictably cautious and protecting what we had rather than going for what we didn't. Dumb arse move. Worst result of the season for me.

That result kills me. We did setup to avoid being countered on, didn't exert ourselves too much. He would have been more than content with a 0-0 I'm sure.

I don't know why we played so tepid, they were a truly atrocious football team. Let's not kid ourselves, they were L1 level, which was shown up when they were humped in the knockout round. If we'd have gone and taken the game to them, we'd have won it comfortably.

Predictably cautious and protecting what we had rather than going for what we didn't. Dumb arse move. Worst result of the season for me.

What I didn't understand is why the Clyde Best lookalike in midfield was allowed to stroll around unchallenged for most of the game doing what he wanted with no-one anywhere near him....when do you ever see that in the Prem even at our worst we do close down the space.

PS Thats the Clyde Best now not the good player at his prime :-)

Edited by Give it to Ron

What I didn't understand is why the Clyde Best lookalike in midfield was allowed to stroll around unchallenged for most of the game doing what he wanted with no-one anywhere near him....when do you ever see that in the Prem even at our worst we do close down the space.

PS Thats the Clyde Best now not the good player at his prime :-)

We don't close down like we used to, we seem to be quite happy for teams to have the ball in front of us, as long as we keep our 'shape'. We're very passive in terms of our closing down and pressing of space, that's something which has irked me all season. It's clearly an instruction they're following, as the risk would be you commit too high and get pulled out of shape, but I guess it's what you prioritise.....keeping a defensive shape, or taking a team on.

He isn't what??

Ian Abrahams (Moose)‏Verified account @BroadcastMoose 2h2 hours ago

Marco Silva is the early front runner for the Watford job

That really isn't a source to be trusting.

We don't close down like we used to, we seem to be quite happy for teams to have the ball in front of us, as long as we keep our 'shape'. We're very passive in terms of our closing down and pressing of space, that's something which has irked me all season. It's clearly an instruction they're following, as the risk would be you commit too high and get pulled out of shape, but I guess it's what you prioritise.....keeping a defensive shape, or taking a team on.

Isn't the point to draw the opposition on to us for the counter we do press but only in our own half...though sadly we are **** at countering

That game did Puel huge damage, like Weston I thought the LC Final had repaired it and the positive games following but Claude just seems to have gone back to a negative default setting.

In response to another poster's question (Disco Stu?) Puel's teams were equally neagative pre-SFC, only Ben Arfa saved Nice from the same fate last season in a far less competitive league. It's why I was opposed to Puel's appointment in the summer.

The two games at Anfield are an interesting marker of how Claude has gone back into his shell. The LS SF we were just as defensively resolute and well organised but carried a potent threat on the counter so Liverpool couldn't fully throw the kitchen sink. It was a cracking away display on a par with anything under MP or RK. By the time of the recent league game, although we defended well, Fraser had to bail us out and we had no threat whatsoever. It was a dreadful game to watch and did Claude few favours.

A minority of posters want us to turn over the squad and get CP's players in. Can you imagine how dull the end result will be? When CP is sacked, we'll have start all over again to survive and the new manager may not turn it around it time, plus getting rid of the new buys will cost a fortune.

Better to say his family couldn't settle and amicable parting. By the way, his departure is not a panacea. Just over 25 years ago, an un-focused SFC lost 6-2 at long-relegated Derby. It was inevitable that Nicholl's contract wasn't being renewed but we replaced him with...Ian Branfoot.

Exactly. Even Celtic destroyed these lot 5-2 or something

We'll if he is considering his future career I doubt Watford is that appealing unless he hopes to be out of job after 12months. I can't imagine to many managers will see Watford as a great move as they like to sack someone every few months.

Really good write up on Slavisa Jokanovic if anyone is interested:

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/05/13/tactical-philosophy-slavisa-jokanovic/

Very good, thanks. Sounds like he plays a similar way to how we do, but with more emphasis on attack and pressing. I'd much sooner take him over Silva or Carvahal, as I don't think the players would have to learn a new system all over again, it would be refining what we already have.

. NO injuries

. Score with all shots

I cant be bothered to go back and look at your assessments of Mopo or RK but I suspect they were not as understanding as you are portraying here

I cant be bothered to go back and look at your assessments of Mopo or RK but I suspect they were not as understanding as you are portraying here

Ill save you any trouble

Mopo: i was tough on him and disappointed with the FA Cup exit. Felt we had a great squad under him (Lambert, Lallana, Morgan, Vic, Lovren, Shaw, Clyne) and could have done better (top 7 minimum)

Koeman: supported him throughout and even during his lean period. Doubt youll find a single negative post from me on him. Think hes a top manager

Ill save you any trouble

Mopo: i was tough on him and disappointed with the FA Cup exit. Felt we had a great squad under him (Lambert, Lallana, Morgan, Vic, Lovren, Shaw, Clyne) and could have done better (top 7 minimum)

Koeman: supported him throughout and even during his lean period. Doubt youll find a single negative post from me on him. Think hes a top manager

Weren't you banned from here for most of Koeman's tenure.....