The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

When the BBC puts a live score things along the lines of "Manchester United leading against Liverpool" so I click on it not remembering that they were playing each other and it's women's football and they haven't bothered to tell anyone that in the headline. 

Yeah agree. Listened to what was probably the worst podcast episode ever (BBC Football Daily). Asked some female player who had signed for Man Utd (who were in 2nd tier of women’s football at the time) what the pressure is on signing for Utd when discussing the men’s team. She also mentioned a game was so dull she spent most of the time playing with her child.

Genuinely have no issue with female pundits and some good ones out there but don’t patronise us by pretending the game and level is identical.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Yeah agree. Listened to what was probably the worst podcast episode ever (BBC Football Daily). Asked some female player who had signed for Man Utd (who were in 2nd tier of women’s football at the time) what the pressure is on signing for Utd when discussing the men’s team. She also mentioned a game was so dull she spent most of the time playing with her child.

Genuinely have no issue with female pundits and some good ones out there but don’t patronise us by pretending the game and level is identical.

I seem to remember there was some editorial article a few years back talking about how they would be making a commitment to feature female sports more prominently which I don't necessarily have a problem with although I'd question it when it stays getting in the way of what I actually want to read or if they obscure what it is forcing me to waste my time clicking on it. Like I said it's a minor thing but it's an irritation. Would be better if they let you login and then customise what you actually want to see on the homepage. 

With regards to your second point I think I've mentioned that before. Bringing on a pundit to talk about Manchester United because they played for Manchester United women is absurd. Nothing wrong with female pundits but it's incredibly grating when they try to compare the sport with the mens (same with records like top goalscorer.)

Stonehenge, the most overhyped pile of rubble in the south.

It's been rebuilt more times than Barry Sheene's pelvis and we're all supposed to dramatically pretend it's been standing there since the dawn of time.

Stones moved, rebuilt, rearranged, cemented in - and now we have to spend £2billion on a tunnel....that money could be better spent on friends of the cabinet. 

Though I presume this gig will be Grayling with a shovel and a wheelbarrow helped by some cousin of Cummings.

52 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Stonehenge, the most overhyped pile of rubble in the south.

It's been rebuilt more times than Barry Sheene's pelvis and we're all supposed to dramatically pretend it's been standing there since the dawn of time.

Stones moved, rebuilt, rearranged, cemented in - and now we have to spend £2billion on a tunnel....that money could be better spent on friends of the cabinet. 

Though I presume this gig will be Grayling with a shovel and a wheelbarrow helped by some cousin of Cummings.

When I was a boy it was just a pile of stones in a field. You had to park in the lane and climb over a wire fence. You could climb all over the stones too. Then the hippies and neo-druids started getting interested.

On 11/11/2020 at 21:48, Lighthouse said:

Any advert where they give an animal a regional accent. That Scottish mouthwash donkey is my current peeve.

God yes. Plus the cat and dog drinking tea. People say it works because I remember the brand - Tetley's - but it just makes me swear to never ever buy it. 

Travelators at airports...people come off a 12+ hour flight and then stand on them to get from one end of the airport to the other.

Use ya fooking legs!! You have been sat on your arse for half a day and stop blocking me trying to get to my next flight which leaves in 45 mins (via the duty free)!

Edited by skintsaint

On 12/11/2020 at 07:36, Weston Super Saint said:

I hope you've never seen Shrek, would drive you over the edge :classic_laugh:

I can enjoy that because the characters actually have personality. I just can’t stand the laziness of pulling a random animal and accent out of a hat and calling it a character. Scouse owl, Swedish octopus... there you go now talk about the new Mercedes something or other.

16 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Travelators at airports...people come off a 12+ hour flight and then stand on them to get from one end of the airport to the other.

Use ya fooking legs!! You have been sat on your arse for half a day and stop blocking me trying to get to my next flight which leaves in 45 mins (via the duty free)!

The travelators themselves are useful but I agree on the f**kwits who stand on them and therefore end up moving slower than if they were actually walking. Lazy pricks.

A recent example of the sort of paper article i despise-  Headline on news feed Who will finish top 4 - Some BIG CALLS HERE

click on article Troy Deeney gives his view on who will finish top 4. His view was that Liverpool, Man City probably would, then it's between Chelsea, Spurs, Man United and dont rule out Everton or Leicester. Brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

A recent example of the sort of paper article i despise-  Headline on news feed Who will finish top 4 - Some BIG CALLS HERE

click on article Troy Deeney gives his view on who will finish top 4. His view was that Liverpool, Man City probably would, then it's between Chelsea, Spurs, Man United and dont rule out Everton or Leicester. Brilliant. 

Standard clickbait headline. I'm surprised there wasn't a stock photo of a random hot (but photoshopped) woman who turns out to have nothing to do with the actual article. My favourite is 'Top 20 hilarious wedding fails, number 4 will shock you. Can this be real!?' With a photo of a 'bride' who's tits could do with their own wheelbarrow.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Standard clickbait headline. I'm surprised there wasn't a stock photo of a random hot (but photoshopped) woman who turns out to have nothing to do with the actual article. My favourite is 'Top 20 hilarious wedding fails, number 4 will shock you. Can this be real!?' With a photo of a 'bride' who's tits could do with their own wheelbarrow.

I’ve seen that bride thing. How many screens did you work through before you gave up?

Radio 1 decidng to edit "Fairy Tale of New York" because the lyrics might offend the sense of sexuality and gender held by the precious little things that now comprise it's audience. The grown ups who listen to R2 are allowed to hear the original.

Edited by badgerx16

26 minutes ago, Manuel said:

If anyone witnessed a madman at the tills in Bursledon Tesco just now, frantically stamping on an empty shopping bag, it was me.  There was a spider in it.  

When I first read this bit, I thought you were going to mention a bloke I see semi-regularly, wearing the same pink hot pants, a tank top, beret and terrible body odour.

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

When I first read this bit, I thought you were going to mention a bloke I see semi-regularly, wearing the same pink hot pants, a tank top, beret and terrible body odour.

‘See’ as in biblical sense? Each to their own,

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Richard Osman. Seems to be on every show on TV despite not actually being entertaining or funny, just ‘quite knowledgeable’.

Osman is quality man, what you on about? And definitely not small 

Edited by whelk

On 23/11/2020 at 18:53, Lighthouse said:

Richard Osman. Seems to be on every show on TV despite not actually being entertaining or funny, just ‘quite knowledgeable’.

Insanity. I can understand being fed up with seeing im on too many things, but the guy is incredibly quick witted. His sense of humour is pretty dry though, so perhaps just not your thing.