The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

But that's just being accessible to a modern audience like when they set films in the past and everyone says fuck and shit like that's something they would use all the time. 

It's still a "little thing that annoys me".

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Morons on Snowdon leaving litter and trampling the local ecology by straying off the paths. Utter helmets. (Caveat; I did tell someone today on said mountain, to pick up their empty plastic pot that contained olives, to much whinging and grunting. And yes it was stupidly busy up there)

Snowdon doesn’t hold any appeal for me whatsoever. Of all the places I might choose to go walking, a peak which is crammed with tourists, has half hour queues for the summit and even a tram going up to the top isn't one of them. I know people do it to say they’ve been to the highest peak but if there’s a cafe at the top where pensioners can buy an egg custard, saying that loses some of its gravitas.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Snowdon doesn’t hold any appeal for me whatsoever. Of all the places I might choose to go walking, a peak which is crammed with tourists, has half hour queues for the summit and even a tram going up to the top isn't one of them. I know people do it to say they’ve been to the highest peak but if there’s a cafe at the top where pensioners can buy an egg custard, saying that loses some of its gravitas.

Agreed, it was stupidly busy. I've done it 4 times in my 45 years and this was by far the busiest and most hideous. And this is no word of a lie, but we saw some stupid chav trying to go up in high heels, I'm losing faith in the human race faster and faster.

Having said that, it was a decent one to do with a 7 year old - who beasted us to the top and he absolutely loved it! We're booked in for Fort William area next summer, I'm looking forward to that more as there are quieter peaks to tackle, away from tourists, plus Skye isn't far away. 

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And this is no word of a lie, but we saw some stupid chav trying to go up in high heels, I'm losing faith in the human race faster and faster.

Flip flops and t-shirts are the usual garb. Mind you, a couple of days ago 2 idiots walked out to a spot called 'the island' off Fleetwood - it is a mussel crusted bank that appears at low tide. Unfortunately for them, the tides have been high and they started out as the tide turned and started coming in. They quickly found that whilst they were had reached the 'high' spot, the tide had passed either side of them and they were then cut off on a shrinking plot that was 3 metres lower than the high water mark. The lifeboat got to them as the sea reached their chins.

( Apparently, according to the lifeboat coxswain, people who are used to holidaying in the Med, which is just about tide-less, are currently taking 'staycations' and are confused when the sea recedes and then comes back in ).

16 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Flip flops and t-shirts are the usual garb. Mind you, a couple of days ago 2 idiots walked out to a spot called 'the island' off Fleetwood - it is a mussel crusted bank that appears at low tide. Unfortunately for them, the tides have been high and they started out as the tide turned and started coming in. They quickly found that whilst they were had reached the 'high' spot, the tide had passed either side of them and they were then cut off on a shrinking plot that was 3 metres lower than the high water mark. The lifeboat got to them as the sea reached their chins.

( Apparently, according to the lifeboat coxswain, people who are used to holidaying in the Med, which is just about tide-less, are currently taking 'staycations' and are confused when the sea recedes and then comes back in ).

Julius Caesar had the same problem when he did his first armed reconnaissance of Brittania in 55BC. As a Mediterranean he was surprised by the height of the tides off Walmer. His beached warships filled with water and his anchored transports were driven against each other.

7 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Meanwhile, we get this...

spacer.png

Yes, you can park on the beach at the Southern end in Weston. Yes, the sea does go out a long way with the second highest tidal range in the world. No, you shouldn't ignore the signs telling you not to park past them (or drive past them to get closer to the sea to have a paddle), because when the sand ends the mud begins and it will swallow your van whole.

(Although maybe this should be posted on the thread for things that give you joy :) )

spacer.png

Edited by Weston Super Saint

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Meanwhile, we get this...

spacer.png

Yes, you can park on the beach at the Southern end in Weston. Yes, the sea does go out a long way with the second highest tidal range in the world. No, you shouldn't ignore the signs telling you not to park past them (or drive past them to get closer to the sea to have a paddle), because when the sand ends the mud begins and it will swallow your van whole.

(Although maybe this should be posted on the thread for things that give you joy :) )

spacer.png

We have a couple of those on our beach. Over time they have completely disappeared beneath the sand.

There's a Danish island called Romø just north of the border with Germany where people park on the beach. There are also a couple of Danish lads with a 4x4 and a long rope who hang around waiting for the tide to rise. They charge to tow stranded vehicles to safety. As the tide rises so does the price. If the driver is German the price is even higher.

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Morons on Snowdon leaving litter and trampling the local ecology by straying off the paths. Utter helmets. (Caveat; I did tell someone today on said mountain, to pick up their empty plastic pot that contained olives, to much whinging and grunting. And yes it was stupidly busy up there)

Littering is one of the most baffling human behaviours.  Who gets up to leave, sees their empty crisp packet or 4 pack and just walks off?

• Like 3

On 25/08/2021 at 10:31, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Littering is one of the most baffling human behaviours.  Who gets up to leave, sees their empty crisp packet or 4 pack and just walks off?

Wankers, and sadly there are quite a lot of them. I'd say roughly 10% of the population have an "Oh well it's not my fucking problem, I'm done with it. Some other cunt can clear it up" attitude.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stknowle said:

Wankers, and sadly there are quite a lot of them. I'd say roughly 10% of the population have an "Oh well it's not my fucking problem, I'm done with it. Some other cunt can clear it up" attitude.

If nobody did anything wrong, just think about how many people would be out of a job... ;)

When I was younger I briefly worked as a holiday rep. When I was doing the airport run, the last thing I said before everyone got off the coach was, "please take your rubbish with you and put it in the bin in the hotel/airport." Sure enough, when I went through to check and tidy the coach afterwards, there would be half a dozen seat pockets stuffed with rubbish. Some seats looked like a hamster had been nesting there with litter, crisps and god knows what else all over the place.

That job really opened my eyes as to some of the nutters who are out there. Most of the guests were great but every now and then you got one who was from another planet. Highlights included:

• A morbidly obese woman who could barely squeeze into the coach seats and spent the whole journey complaining, telling me the seat rows were too close together and asking what I was going to do about it.
  • A man who wanted ski hire, lift passes and lessons for a family of six. When presented for an invoice of over £2000 he refused to pay it and said he’d sort himself out. Several hours later he angrily phoned me up, saying I hadn’t booked any of his stuff and demanded I sort it out.
  • Same bloke, night before the return coach journey, asked me to reserve the front row of the coach for his family. Sarcastically rolled his eyes and said, "God forbid you should actually organise something for us," when I said I couldn’t do that.
  • Same bloke again, upon landing in Bristol, phoned and said he was going fly back over and, ‘sort me out’ because they’d queued for 2 hours at Geneva Airport security. Odd for three reasons; firstly we checked the logs and the flight departed 1hr 45 min after the coach arrived and they were on it. Secondly, airport security isn’t actually the responsibility of a 19 year old rep. Thirdly, I was 50 miles away on the Grenoble transfer bus that day.
  • A guy who didn’t like the snow quality phoned me on my day off, asked me to come over immediately and book him flights and transfers home for that afternoon.
  • A guy who lost his coat/lift pass whilst p*ssed in an après bar and basically blame me for it on his feedback form, saying I didn’t sort it out for him. I went to both the bars he said he’d been in, twice, they didn’t have it.
  • Various guests who said they’d had a lovely holiday all week, then got home and put reviews on trip advisor about things like broken toilet handles or blown lightbulbs. Stuff the maintenance guy could have sorted in 5 minutes if they’d maybe mentioned it at some point.

They’re out there, watch out…

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stknowle said:

It's just so selfish.  I guess at the end of the day we're born selfish and learn not to be, and some people just don't learn it even at the most basic level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2021 at 22:51, Patrick Bateman said:

Climb the Glydwrs instead. Nearby, more beautiful and much much less visited 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2021 at 23:03, Raging Bull said:

People who have photos of themselves on their lock screens. 

Are they that narcissistic that they have to look at themselves 200 times a day looking like a whopper? 

I personally couldn’t give a flying 1 about me looking like a nob at some doo that was shit. 

Similar in some respects to people who stick pictures of their kids or family around their monitors at work. You'll be seeing them when you get home ffs. 

Presenters on the radio saying "Everybody is talking about....." or "Everybody has been waiting for..... ". Generally this is concerning shows I have not been anticipating and have no interest in watching; "Strictly Come Watch 'B' List Celebrities Trip Over Their Feet", "I Used To Be Famous For 10 Minutes And Now I Am Eating Locusts On TV In A Fake Jungle Location", etc.

People at self service checkouts who put all the scanned items onto the weighing section, then after paying spend the same amount of time putting it into bags instead of bagging the stuff as they scan them, usually when I'm next, in a bit of a hurry, so could you please fucking get on with it.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Super happy,  what the f... is super happy, you are either happy or not

I’d say there was a bit of a spectrum between finding a packet of Angel Delight in the back of the cupboard and Margot Robbie climbing in through my bedroom window.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d say there was a bit of a spectrum between finding a packet of Angel Delight in the back of the cupboard and Margot Robbie climbing in through my bedroom window.

And super super happy if she was carrying an Angel Delight assuming not Butterscotch flavour

25 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Absolutely - Angel Delight trumps everything, especially butterscotch flavour.

38 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Absolutely - Angel Delight trumps everything, especially butterscotch flavour.

38 minutes ago, whelk said:

And super super happy if she was carrying an Angel Delight assuming not Butterscotch flavour

F**k me, can’t you lot agree on anything?

Thinking about it, chocolate flavour probably would just edge Robbie but only chocolate. Strawberry is probably on par with early forties Shania Twain or peak Cate Blanchett.

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

F**k me, can’t you lot agree on anything?

Thinking about it, chocolate flavour probably would just edge Robbie but only chocolate. Strawberry is probably on par with early forties Shania Twain or peak Cate Blanchett.

Thanks a bundle. I now have this mental image of Margot Robbie lying on a bed covered with chocolate flavour Angel Delight. That would take some licking 👹