The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

3 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

People trying to get through the Itchen bridge toll by waving their credit card at the monitor, for 10 minutes, before pressing for assistance, then fumbling for change, for another 10 minutes, by which time I've nearly run out of petrol.

I’m more annoyed that we’re still having to pay a toll to cross it.

1 hour ago, kyle04 said:

People trying to get through the Itchen bridge toll by waving their credit card at the monitor, for 10 minutes, before pressing for assistance, then fumbling for change, for another 10 minutes, by which time I've nearly run out of petrol.

Turn your engine off whilst waiting ?

2 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

The complete and utter garbage that passes for entertainment on TV, featuring identikit vacuous no-mark 'celebrities' that nobody has ever heard of.

The problem is that so called 'jobs' like influencer, youtuber and blogger now qualify you for celebrity status. Also every girl who puts pictures of herself wearing nice clothes and some makeup on Instagram now considers herself to be a model. The threshold has never been lower. 

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The problem is that so called 'jobs' like influencer, youtuber and blogger now qualify you for celebrity status. Also every girl who puts pictures of herself wearing nice clothes and some makeup on Instagram now considers herself to be a model. The threshold has never been lower. 

and kids lap it up. A friends sons mate is a youtuber for Minecraft, he has over 3m followers and is a millionaire from it. He is by all accounts a nice chap and when he found out my son watches him he sent some of his merchandise in the post. Made a millionaire by kids watching him play a game they play. In some ways it beggars belief but also you think fair play to them from taking advantage of. We also know of a girl in her mid thirties who gets paid and gets lots of free meals and drinks because she has an instagram account which is her going out for meals all the time, she's a pretty average looking, quite dull early middle aged women, but slap a dress on, show her with a photo with a plate of food in front of her and it seems some people cant get enough of it.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

and kids lap it up. A friends sons mate is a youtuber for Minecraft, he has over 3m followers and is a millionaire from it. He is by all accounts a nice chap and when he found out my son watches him he sent some of his merchandise in the post. Made a millionaire by kids watching him play a game they play. In some ways it beggars belief but also you think fair play to them from taking advantage of. We also know of a girl in her mid thirties who gets paid and gets lots of free meals and drinks because she has an instagram account which is her going out for meals all the time, she's a pretty average looking, quite dull early middle aged women, but slap a dress on, show her with a photo with a plate of food in front of her and it seems some people cant get enough of it.

That doesn't surprise me. People like that are basically riding the crest of a wave, having caught it before everyone else. The problem is it requires very little skill, no qualification and is easy to replicate. The more airbrushed pictures get uploaded of girls with their tits hanging out of some boohoo or etsy, the less money they're worth. Same with food bloggers and these insufferable 'reaction' videos. To come into this 'industry' new these days, you've got to do something new and special to get sufficient followers to make a living. 'Bob's Food Blog' is played out as a concept and a lot of restaurants are sick to death of them expecting free stuff.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Have we got a Saintsweb influencer? Charlie Wayman?

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

That doesn't surprise me. People like that are basically riding the crest of a wave, having caught it before everyone else. The problem is it requires very little skill, no qualification and is easy to replicate. The more airbrushed pictures get uploaded of girls with their tits hanging out of some boohoo or etsy, the less money they're worth. Same with food bloggers and these insufferable 'reaction' videos. To come into this 'industry' new these days, you've got to do something new and special to get sufficient followers to make a living. 'Bob's Food Blog' is played out as a concept and a lot of restaurants are sick to death of them expecting free stuff.

How about Lighthouse knocks one out whilst playing Ludo?

On 16/02/2022 at 14:54, Turkish said:

Some of the gamer YouTubers are worth an absolute fortune - earn millions a year for jabbering on while playing a game (you may have guessed my son is constantly watching them) and encouraging you to buy their “merch”. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Turkish said:

The womans voice in the coop checkouts. 

Yes, she's changed within the last couple of weeks from a warm, efficient lady to a snooty Katy Hopkins wannabee.  I don't like her tone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Newsreaders and/or current affairs presenters who talk over the begining of live press conferences, or parliamentary sessions, with an unnecessary long introduction, thus missing the first 15+ seconds of said press conference/session. Idiots.

• Like 2

Variable speed limits on motorways, with gantry cameras, where for no immediate reason the speed varies say 70-40-40-70-50-40-70. Often due to a queue off a junction or bit of debris that disappeared 30 minutes prior.

Highways England are much more likely to create a pile up with the stopping, speeding up and then braking than prevent one with these tactics. Don’t even get me started on ‘smart motorways’…

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Variable speed limits on motorways, with gantry cameras, where for no immediate reason the speed varies say 70-40-40-70-50-40-70. Often due to a queue off a junction or bit of debris that disappeared 30 minutes prior.

Highways England are much more likely to create a pile up with the stopping, speeding up and then braking than prevent one with these tactics. Don’t even get me started on ‘smart motorways’…

Where I join the M27 at junction 5 the blanket 60 mph limit (why?) suddenly drops to 50 at the point where the joining lane ends. This causes bunching and makes it more dangerous for the joining traffic to filter in.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2022 at 07:41, whelk said:

The glib ‘stay safe’ sign off to people who are being bombed.

Or on emails between people that spend all day working from home. Unless it's a "stay safe don't trip over and fall down the stairs" message rather than covid related.

12 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Where I join the M27 at junction 5 the blanket 60 mph limit (why?) suddenly drops to 50 at the point where the joining lane ends. This causes bunching and makes it more dangerous for the joining traffic to filter in.

The blanket 60mph limit on M27 is because they still haven't signed off the lane warning system. It's due to go soon though I think.

And then it won't be long until there's more roadworks and closures on the M27 for resurfacing. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Or on emails between people that spend all day working from home. Unless it's a "stay safe don't trip over and fall down the stairs" message rather than covid related.

on the covid related note people that used to post #stayathome facebook profile pictures with them at their family outside. A kid of missing the point as well as self righteous i'm telling you what to do.

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

The blanket 60mph limit on M27 is because they still haven't signed off the lane warning system. It's due to go soon though I think.

And then it won't be long until there's more roadworks and closures on the M27 for resurfacing. 

Mind you it needs it, some of that surface is appalling

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 09:33, The Cat said:

Same with M4 between J10  and 12. Once it was smartened  up the 50 and 60 average limits hung around like a bad smell for weeks. Bloody nuisance as daughter lives in Thatcham and has been in the process of getting her stuff over toner place after her wedding using dad’s haulage. The thing’s still not finished. Weekend closures still going on around Maidenhead, Langley/Slough.

after

• Like 1

People being outraged about something when they know it's going to be something that they aren't going to like. For example the amount of people who complained about Jimmys Carrs his dark material. The very title and person involved should be enough indication not to watch it, so why watchi it then complain you're offended by it?

• 2 weeks later...

Those four-packs of beer that are held together with blobs of industrial strength glue, near impossible to prise apart without at least 2 cans ending up bouncing on the floor.

Ref sheafsaint, modern packaging in general, it dosen't matter what it is these days, nothing is designed to be opened cleanly without resorting to weaponry of some sort.

9 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

When you try to be really careful opening a cereal packet and this happens...

20220422_073627.thumb.jpg.996cd4cb904ada251e8d50fb5e2d21d5.jpg

Packaging almost warrants its own thread.  It is why I keep a flame thrower and pneumatic drill in the shed. Peel here my arse

The other day my daughter handed me a sachet of mayonnaise to open as she couldn't.  I couldn't either.  What is the world coming to?

Some microwave meals...they have a little overhang in the corner of the film lid for you to pull, but all that does is pull the little overhang off and I have to get the knives out. 

Talking of food, what's with avocados lately?  Every time I open one I get the same toy, the little brown ball.  Getting a bit boring now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4