Players you would sign from relegated teams....

Yorkshire Saint

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Newcastle signed a player for double our record fee. Villa would want a huge amount for McGinn, likely beyond anything Saints would pay.

Agree, I think we'll be operating in the 10-20m bracket for the rest of eternity! Which is frustrating when Bournemouth have been able to splash 25-30m on a player, he didn't do much but still - would be good to have an owner who wanted the club.

Edited by S-Clarke

On 17/07/2020 at 21:41, Matthew Le God said:

Neither of them are realistic signing for Saints. Sarr cost Watford £30m+ and Doucouré would also be very expensive. Far better value buying from non English clubs.

Yeah as thats worked out well for us, whats that about 75m wasted, about time they went for quality over quantity and instead of trying to be smart get in someone proven at this level 

49 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Yeah as thats worked out well for us, whats that about 75m wasted, about time they went for quality over quantity and instead of trying to be smart get in someone proven at this level 

We don't have the money for that. Our business model is to shop abroad and then sell on to bigger clubs.

If we've screwed up recently it's been in favoring quality over quantity. Picking up players from Juventus, Bayern and elsewhere in the German league has meant paying more and not spreading our bets.

We need to scout more widely and be more active looking for multiple young prospects at around the £5m mark, in addition to trying to recruit first-teamers. It's like venture capital - one Van Dijk pays for all the Juanmis and much more.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2020 at 15:07, Matthew Le God said:

I am intrigued to know how much you think Grealish and Ake would cost!

I'm not saying we could get them: the question was who would e like. It only makes sense to sign players who would make us better, and those two would. Not so sure any oyhers would.

8 hours ago, ChrisPY said:

If we’re looking for a keeper quick off his line in the 94th minute, he’s perfect.

I thought he looked pretty solid in goal and seems he loves the club so understandable would get over excited by the 'equaliser'. Looked dejected at the end, good to see Kelvin wait for him to come off and give him so words of encouragement (i hope).

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Nathan Ake possibly to Man City...

Interesting, quite cheap too?

And I think I remember Chelsea having first dibs on any transfer as well....given their need for CB's, they may become interested.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Interesting, quite cheap too?

And I think I remember Chelsea having first dibs on any transfer as well....given their need for CB's, they may become interested.

Yeah, I thought the Chelsea clause was actually more expensive than that?

4 hours ago, screechio said:

I've always fancied Lewis Cook at Bompey. However I think his spell under Howe has seen him go backwards on his potential. 

Yes he was looking promising but I think had a serious knee injury that put him out for about a year. 

Edited by skintsaint

I agree that Klose would be a good signing at the right price (injured for much of this season so not able to prove himself in the Prem).

In addition to Buendia, Pukki, and the full backs (esp Lewis), I would mention Hernandez as a player to compete with Redmond for a starting place.

6 hours ago, Stu_Saint said:

Agreed with Godfrey still young enough although might be good for him to have a season on loan in Championship perhaps? There is Timm Klose too and nearly a year ago in August player of the month Pukki was banging them in. 

7 hours ago, Stu_Saint said:

There is Timm Klose too 

4 minutes ago, Wilf said:

I agree that Klose would be a good signing at the right price (injured for much of this season so not able to prove himself in the Prem).

He is 32 years old... and shit. I'd rather we didn't! 😃

16 minutes ago, Wilf said:

Having seen him play quite a bit, I'd pick Klose ahead of Vestergaard.

Seen him play quite a lot where? He has struggled throughout his career to get gametime in the Bundesliga and doesn't stand out for a very poor Norwich team. I struggle to see why signing him at 32 years old after a significant injury is a good idea for Saints. I'd rather we sign players in the 19-24 bracket who have the potential to be top players and use us as a stepping stone for 2-3 years. Signing players like Klose is a recipe for relegation!

Klose is only playing because of injuries to Hanley and Zimmerman. He’s not good enough for them and he’s nowhere near good enough for us. Personally I wouldn’t touch any Norwich youngster, they’ve shown they’re not up to it... yet. We were linked with Lewis but I’d rather see how Vokins gets on as back up to Bertrand. Buendia would be the only one I’d be interested in signing from Norwich, and he hardly set the world alight consistently, and there would be issues as he is their set piece taker and we already have a very good one.

From Villa? McGinn was on fire before his injury, so him. Grealish is unrealistic. Otherwise they’re another team whose players I wouldn’t go near which is amazing considering how much they spent. Maybe Mings could be OK in a better team but we already have our left footed centre back now in Salisu.

From Bompey? They’re a different kettle of fish as their players have proven their worth in the last few years. Ake is unrealistic, but Brooks, Cook, Maybe Callum Wilson (Although he’s seemingly regressed he knows where the goal is), and possibly Harry Wilson From Pool on a cheapy as a punt.

From Watford? Pereyra, Hughes, Sarr (unrealistic through price), maybe Foster short term.

37 minutes ago, saintquin said:

Don't see why people go on about Cantwell.

Though I've only really seen him since the restart so others could be right but I just haven't seen it! 

Best thing for Cantwell is to drop back with Norwich, stick with them in the Champ to try and get promoted. Then he'll be back in the PL as a much better player. He's not bad, but still raw and I think that will stop clubs going for him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Will Hughes is a good shout.

delofeu is another good Watford player.

I think that Will Hughes is a decent shout. Not a bad player and a more realistic option than many of the other names referenced on this thread. 

39 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I think that Will Hughes is a decent shout. Not a bad player and a more realistic option than many of the other names referenced on this thread. 

Don't get this, Hughes is terrible and has been for as long as he's been "the young English kid" at Watford.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, igsey said:

Don't get this, Hughes is terrible and has been for as long as he's been "the young English kid" at Watford.

He really isn't a terrible player - he has played 75 games in the Premiership and been one of the better Watford performers in recent seasons. Their forum rate him and Sarr as the two players exempt from recent performances. He isn't the greatest player in the world but if he was I wouldn't suggest him as he would be too expensive.  

I mentioned him to my son before last night's Man City game and I got a similar response to yours 🙂    However, after watching the match he did change his viewpoint and say that he could be an option .......

BTW - I would love to get Sarr for Saints, but as he cost £30m last year and Liverpool are monitoring his availability I somehow feel that he is outside our price range ...  We need to look at realistic options even though they have their limitations - but even so, I suspect that Hughes would be outside our budget anyway.

3 hours ago, igsey said:

I thought he was Ok at Derby but he is just not lit the PL up. He is just a tad too slow and doesnt impose himself. Too much like our plodding midfielders from the past.

On 18/07/2020 at 06:19, Earthworm Jim said:

Brooks... 

Howdy Jim... Given your ITK-esque posts on the Hojbjerg thread, would I be wasting my time if I read too much between the lines on this post, especially the carefully crafted 3 dots? ;)

4 hours ago, trousers said:

Howdy Jim... Given your ITK-esque posts on the Hojbjerg thread, would I be wasting my time if I read too much between the lines on this post, especially the carefully crafted 3 dots? ;)

No, I just think he's decent. Sorry I didn't reply on the other thread, only just got my 3 posts per day back...

Edit: turns out I still can't post on there. Source is a worm friend, who works for a famous worm. 

Edited by Earthworm Jim