Players you would sign from relegated teams....

Yorkshire Saint

31 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Is Mings actually good?

Villa have been utterly woeful in defence this season and he is the leader of their back four.

Good physical attributes and nice left foot but not sure beyond that.

Mings is good, he has been outstanding in an awful defence. We should never have released him as a nipper.

4 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Mings is good, he has been outstanding in an awful defence. We should never have released him as a nipper.

So he could sit on the bench, watch Fonte, Hooiveld and Lovren and never develop as a player? He needed to leave and play at his own level for a while.

9 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

The few Norwich, Bournemouth, Villa, Watford, West Ham players that are good enough to improve us would also likely be too expensive in transfer fee. Better value to be had looking abroad.

Interesting take - one that I really disagree with.

Personally, although you're paying slightly less, our recent record of buying from the continent has filled me with very little confidence. It's not as cheap as it once was and I would argue that the risk is far greater. We have blown an absolute fortune on 15-20m type players who just couldn't adapt to England and a premier league. I would prefer if we looked at players who have played in this country already: perhaps relegated players or championship gems. I'd take a good number of Bournemouth players in particular. Ake would be exactly the type of CB that would improve us, and I would love to see us go after Brooks. They would cost a bit, but both of those signings would almost certainly improve us and have a high chance of working out I think. 

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

So he could sit on the bench, watch Fonte, Hooiveld and Lovren and never develop as a player? He needed to leave and play at his own level for a while.

He was 16 when he was released, he was a few years off sitting on the bench, we could have loaned him out like we did with Stephens (and Turnbull).

1 hour ago, Born In The 80s said:

Personally, although you're paying slightly less, our recent record of buying from the continent has filled me with very little confidence. It's not as cheap as it once was and I would argue that the risk is far greater. We have blown an absolute fortune on 15-20m type players who just couldn't adapt to England and a premier league. I would prefer if we looked at players who have played in this country already: perhaps relegated players or championship gems. I'd take a good number of Bournemouth players in particular. Ake would be exactly the type of CB that would improve us, and I would love to see us go after Brooks. They would cost a bit, but both of those signings would almost certainly improve us and have a high chance of working out I think. 

Which point are you disagreeing with? Because the key part of my post is that players like Ake would cost too much. He would be upwards of £40m! A more sensible approach would be to buy someone like Salisu and develop him.

40 minutes ago, Born In The 80s said:

The problem with both of those isn't just the transfer fee. We could push our normal strategy and pay £30m maybe for one (even though Bournemouth are likely to want much more), but what wages does a £30m+ player command? £100k+ p/w. That just isn't going to fit into our wage structure.

We bought Redmond when Norwich were relegated last time round for what, about £12m? He'd done OK, but hadn't pulled any trees up. Market has gone through the roof since then though.

I like the look of McGinn but looks like we'll priced out there as well.

37 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He was 16 when he was released, he was a few years off sitting on the bench, we could have loaned him out like we did with Stephens (and Turnbull).

Since he left we've consistently had two better CBs than he is, right up until January 2017 when Fonte left. He wouldn't have had a chance to play regularly here until he was 24.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Since he left we've consistently had two better CBs than he is, right up until January 2017 when Fonte left. He wouldn't have had a chance to play regularly here until he was 24.

I had heard  one of the reasons we let him go was he was considered too small, and promptly grew another foot the year after he left?

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

I had heard  one of the reasons we let him go was he was considered too small, and promptly grew another foot the year after he left?

This is nonsense. He was in the same cohort as a number of tiny players that the club kept, so height was clearly not the reason.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

This is nonsense. He was in the same cohort as a number of tiny players that the club kept, so height was clearly not the reason.

no, not nonsense, just a factor. something the commentator said when we played Ipswich away a couple of years ago. I haven't verified it, but then agin  its is just a bit of chit chat  on a fans forum.

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

no, not nonsense, just a factor. something the commentator said when we played Ipswich away a couple of years ago. I haven't verified it, but then agin  its is just a bit of chit chat  on a fans forum.

I'm not saying it is nonsense that Mings claims that is the reason. I'm saying that the claim is nonsense. There is a difference!

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 hours ago, monosaint said:

I like Cantwell from Norwich. Makes things happen and can take people on.

Yeah, I do like him, but we have to think where he would play, whose position he would be taking. He's a forward playing midfielder, so he could play either left or right in the 4-2-2-2.

He's not a defensive midfielder, and I can't imagine we want him up with Ings, so he is looking to take the place of Redmond or Armstrong. At the moment, Redders is out of form, but long term I don't think we want to see him displaced.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I heard he was trouble behind the scenes at Bournemouth. 

To be fair, I’m led to believe there’s a fair bit of trouble behind the scenes at Bournemouth. Sounds like Eddie can’t manage the high profile / foreign players. 

25 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

What high profile foreign players do they have? 🤔

I never said high profile foreign players, did I.. you pedantic weirdo. 

Eddie done a great job at getting the best out of low profle, L1 / championship players.

since the introduction of bigger names, inflated egos etc, there has apparently been a bit of unrest in the dressing room. 

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Exactly, that's why we would have had to loan him out like other young CBs. On the other hand Bednarek joined in 2017, would he have been signed if we had Mings on our books at the time. Who knows? My comment about not releasing him was slightly tongue in cheek, I think there are a good many people on this forum that don't even realise he was a Saints youngster. I don't actually think he would ever come back anyway, there was a certain amount of bad feeling when he was released, his old man (Adie) was a youth coach at the time. Not exactly sure of the timing but he left about the time that our youth budget was slashed prior to Markus Liebherr taking over. 

Cantwell for sure. Comes with the English premium but we can use that to our advantage when we inevitably look to sell. An improvement on Boufal and less than an out-and-out winger than Sofiane as well, which fits the system. Speaking of Boufal, can anyone see Ralph keeping him around next season - he certainly looks to have blown his last chance here. Unlikely to happen without selling some deadwood though, as Norwich's head honcho has slapped a £20m price tag on all of their promising players. 

Not a fan of any of Villa or Bournemouth's talent, save for Grealish and Brooks who will go for prices well out of our league and become the next Jack Rodwell and Fabian Delph, wasting their talent to make up the home-grown numbers.

Nathan Ake; he is good in both boxes and we should have gone for him  before he went to Bournemouth but he is probably destined for a bigger club now. Josh King possibly to play alongside Ings, he averages one goal in 3 games for Bournemouth but is now 28 years old and  is therefore probably outside the age range that we tend to go for. Brooks looks very good but will probably cost too much and would block some of our midfield youngsters emerging (Smallbone, Jankewitz and Reed). Nobody from Norwich or Aston Villa springs to mind, other than possibly Cantwell ..

Ake - yes, but likely to go to a top side.

The only other ones I'd take from AFCB are Brooks and Fraser (albeit the latter is technically a free agent).

Godfrey at the back looks ok for Norwich as a squad player, but nothing more. Nobody, apart from Grealish, at Villa looks decent in my opinion.

Ignoring the fact that the majority of the ones below are probably out our pricerange, and that we don't really buy players from other prem sides...

Bompey: Ake, Brooks, possibly Lerma and King

Norwich: Buendia, Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis, wouldn't bother with Cantwell, comes across as a right dick, and overrated for me.

VIlla: Grealish, McGinn

Bournemouth have been unlucky with injuries and don't have quality in depth, which, rather than a lack of quality of individuals, is possibly the reason they are where they are. There is talent in that side. King is a really good player. I wouldn't think twice about signing him, but he would be too expensive for us. Brooks looked silky before his injury and Wilson was a £40m Chelsea target not so long ago. None will be joining us.

Villa on the the other hand really don't have much to offer. Grealish won't be joining us. McGinn is a decent shout, but I've not seen enough of him this year to make a judgement.

Norwich fullbacks interested me last season and I suggested we sign them. They have both looked competent, although not outstanding, but the price is now going to be too steep. I can't see us signing anyone but KWP.

I am wondering if all their first choice keepers are better than Gunn and Forster?

Max Aarons may be too expensive, but seems to fit all other criteria we look for. Young, good on the ball, big potential, and can play both RB and LB. 

In an ideal world I'd sign KWP and Aarons, and let Valery toughen himself up in the Championship for a season.

Buendia is an interesting one too. Seems to have a bit of the Tadic about him. I'd take him. Probably better than Boufal anyway.

Norwich - Cantwell, Pukki.

Godfrey and Aarons look good prospects, but I am always twitchy about signing defenders from relegated teams, maybe an exception can be made for potential though.

Bournemouth - I'd do a swap deal with them of Adams for Wilson, that's genuinely about it, I didn't realize how utterly abject their squad is. Once upon a time I would have said Ake, but I think hes been shown up this season. Fraser is already off to either Spurs or Arsenal.

Villa - Grealish is by far and away the best player in the bottom three, but he is off to one of the top sides I would imagine. I seem to remember McGinn being lauded, but I haven't really kept track of his performances in the Prem.

On 13/07/2020 at 10:12, benjii said:

Mings is shite. 

He is better than Vestergaard and that's who we have to rely on when we rest our first choice central defenders or they get injured. So, Mings would be a definite upgrade to our squad, which is what we need as we have a good first XI but lack cover.

1 hour ago, CWD said:

Max Aarons may be too expensive, but seems to fit all other criteria we look for. Young, good on the ball, big potential, and can play both RB and LB. 

In an ideal world I'd sign KWP and Aarons, and let Valery toughen himself up in the Championship for a season.

Buendia is an interesting one too. Seems to have a bit of the Tadic about him. I'd take him. Probably better than Boufal anyway.

I was a big fan of Aarons earlier in the season for his attacking qualities, but since the lockdown, he's been exposed as a physically weak defender. I agree with you about Buendía: he's a quality player.

6 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

He is better than Vestergaard and that's who we have to rely on when we rest our first choice central defenders or they get injured. So, Mings would be a definite upgrade to our squad, which is what we need as we have a good first XI but lack cover.

We need improvement at centre back, not cover. Anyway, sounds like we are signing Salisu so I doubt we are interested in Mings.

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

If the club brought in for 80m :

Mings

Buendia

Wilson

While selling for 50m :

Hoj

Vestergaard

Fraser

Would you be happy?

Would only take Buendia,  Mings is shite and Wilson will be too expensive for what he brings, better value elsewhere