Southampton 500/1 to win the Premier League

Saint Keef

I'm not a big gambler - the odd football bet only. I notice that BETFRED are offering 500/1 on Saints being Premier League Champions. All other bookies seem to have us as 250/1. So I have chosen BETFRED and for those interested, here is their full list of their prices as of today (28/10/2020). City and Liverpool are clear favourites but injuries and European commitments seem to be hindering them considerably at present and neither look dominant. I have a feeling it may go elsewhere this year. Anyway....to put Saint's price in context, here's BETFRED'S full list. It will be interesting to see how it changes as more games are played. So.....who's going to be brave enough at £500/1? Another couple of wins and that price will surely drop. 

Man City 5/4

Liverpool 6/4

Tottenham 13/2

Chelsea 18/1  

Man Utd 28/1

Everton 33/1

Arsenal 40/1

Leeds 66/1

Leicester 66/1

Aston Villa 100/1

Wolves 200/1

Southampton 500/1

West Ham 500/1

Crystal Palace 750/1

Newcastle 750/1

Brighton 1000/1

Burnley 1000/1

Sheff Utd 1500/1

West Brom 2000/1

Fulham 5000/1

.....I think I'll risk a couple of quid on us.....haha

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Leeds and Villa have more chance than Wolves? Bizarre. 

...was exactly my first thought, in fact I'd go so far to say that even we have more of a chance than Villa and Leeds. (Well the same really, in that none of us will be winning the title, but I still think we will finish above Villa and Leeds in the table this season.) Arsenal have more of a chance than Everton too but clearly that's based on early season form.

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I like when people come up with numbers, trends and statistics to cleverly explain how they’re going to donate £10 to a bookmaker. 😃

Remarkable isn't it? So strange how the phenomenon of football betting has encouraged a generation to boast about their sickness, and how their addiction has become a part of the culture.

Brexit, the disregard of covid restrictions in many places, record numbers regularly donating money to bookmakers... the UK is not awash with intelligence. 

39 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Remarkable isn't it? So strange how the phenomenon of football betting has encouraged a generation to boast about their sickness, and how their addiction has become a part of the culture.

Brexit, the disregard of covid restrictions in many places, record numbers regularly donating money to bookmakers... the UK is not awash with intelligence. 

They all tell you how they are up though. Amazing how these betting companies continue to post profits.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

If you buy a Euromillions ticket you have a (significantly) statistically higher chance of dying before the draw is made than you do of winning the jackpot. True story.

Still probably better odds then Southampton Football Club winning the 2020/21 premier league season.

The trouble with seeing the list presented like that is you almost forget the odds are to actrually win the league and think of it as finishing league positions. You see, for example, Villa only 2 places us above us in the league at a fifth of our odds and think we have a good chance of ending the season above them, forgetting we have to finish not only above them but everyone else as well to get a payout.

Having said that, it's a weird season so far, we are playing well, £10grand for the £20 I would have already said goodbye to this week if the pubs hadn't shut at 10 ...... it might just make the season more interesting. 😂:)

2 hours ago, jawillwill said:

If you buy a Euromillions ticket you have a (significantly) statistically higher chance of dying before the draw is made than you do of winning the jackpot. True story.

I heard you had more chance of being murdered twice in the same week than of winning the/any lottery.

14 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I like when people come up with numbers, trends and statistics to cleverly explain how they’re going to donate £10 to a bookmaker. 😃

500-1 is probably decent value, but you're looking at finding and making hundreds of bets of that sort of value before you start seeing a return. The time you need to invest to have a decent chance of making money usually means it's not worth it in the end.

That said, imagine we actually go and win the bloody thing and you had £10 at those odds :lol: 

17 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

I agree with this (and similar posts) and have stopped betting on a PL game (invariably SFC). Ten bucks a week adds up I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

I put £20 on us at the start of the season at something like 680/1. 

My more serious bet was £100 on Spurs at 16/1.

Thinking of cashing out - or at least partially cashing out - as I’ve doubled my stake.

Would be nice to have £100 to piss away, congratulations 😂😂