RIP Diego Maradona

Lighthouse

• Lighthouse changed the title to RIP Diego Maradona

Fantastic footballer.  Won the 86 world cup for Argentina almost by himself.

But was a messed up human being.  Didn't even have the decency to admit to the handball in the 86 quarter final.  Fails the pub test for me. i.e. not someone you would really want to have a drink with.  

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

We should be talking about his footballing brilliance. Unfortunately that will probably be clouded by his not so great lifestyle. And the fact that he was a cheat. Still, can’t have it all. RIP.

I didn't like Peter Sutcliffe as a person but wow what a lorry driver. All that skill be clouded by his not great lifestyle. Cant have it all. RIP.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I didn't like Peter Sutcliffe as a person but wow what a lorry driver. All that skill be clouded by his not great lifestyle. Cant have it all. RIP.

Cheating at footy. Killing loads of people. Similar. 

50 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Don’t talk rubbish man. Which English player has ever admitted cheating. People like Butcher still crying about it are pathetic, as if they’re whiter than white. 

Absolutely. All players cheat, whether its a cynical foul, asking for a corner when they got the last touch, diving for a pen, whatever. He happened to cheat on the biggest stage against England, but there's nothing normal about focusing on that when the fella dies 34 years later. 

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is there any evidence he was a great lorry driver? I heard he always favoured a solid bed so never fully fulfilled his talent and tested himself.

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Absolutely. All players cheat, whether its a cynical foul, asking for a corner when they got the last touch, diving for a pen, whatever. He happened to cheat on the biggest stage against England, but there's nothing normal about focusing on that when the fella dies 34 years later. 

The bbc news concentrated solely on that game as if it was his whole career. I love the way the narrative is how that goal cost us. Knowing Maradona had that goal been disallowed, he’d probably have knocked another great one in to make up for it.

As I posted earlier Jackie Charlton did a blatant handball in 66 every bit as bad as Maradona, he got caught, Maradona didn’t, yet there’s only 1 “cheating cunt”. 

Maradonna was absolutely superb player and clearly best In the world for many years. Single handedly won World Cup and Serie A, well without him they wouldn’t have won anything. Watched recent documentary about all is mafia dealings in Italy. Absolute star and if the fcker had the lifestyle and discipline the modern day footballer like Ronaldo no one woudl be saying Messi or Ronaldo were anywhere close to him. 

17 minutes ago, egg said:

Yeah funny when people talk about cheating foreigners diving when every player instinctively cheats appealing for throw ins and corners

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The bbc news concentrated solely on that game as if it was his whole career. I love the way the narrative is how that goal cost us. Knowing Maradona had that goal been disallowed, he’d probably have knocked another great one in to make up for it.

As I posted earlier Jackie Charlton did a blatant handball in 66 every bit as bad as Maradona, he got caught, Maradona didn’t, yet there’s only 1 “cheating cunt”. 

I don’t want to see Saints players, England players or any other players for that matter dive, play act to get players booked or sent off, punch the ball in the net - blatantly cheat. It is not ok. Whoever does it. He is a “cheating cunt” because he blatantly punched the ball into the net and claimed a goal on the biggest stage in world football. Maybe you feel differently as you were happy to vote in a cheat as PM, but I think most reasonable people would have been embarrassed and ashamed if Lineker had done the same.

50 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t want to see Saints players, England players or any other players for that matter dive, play act to get players booked or sent off, punch the ball in the net - blatantly cheat. It is not ok. Whoever does it. He is a “cheating cunt” because he blatantly punched the ball into the net and claimed a goal on the biggest stage in world football. Maybe you feel differently as you were happy to vote in a cheat as PM, but I think most reasonable people would have been embarrassed and ashamed if Lineker had done the same.

Lol. Do you throw your top hat in the air when a goal is scored. 

You must think everybody you’ve ever watched is a “cheating cunt”, as every player that’s played the past 50 years has cheated or attempted to cheat. 

I’m  “embarrassed & ashamed” that you support the same club as me. Most “reasonable “ people would have gone wild with celebrations had Linekar scored a goal like that in the same game.

You’re weird.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You must think everybody you’ve ever watched is a “cheating cunt”, as every player that’s played the past 50 years has cheated or attempted to cheat. 

I’m  “embarrassed & ashamed” that you support the same club as me. Most “reasonable “ people would have gone wild with celebrations had Linekar scored a goal like that in the same game.

You’re weird.....

I’m always amused at soggys anti racism posts about how we should be more welcoming, we should do more to hemp immigrants integrate. Posted from his home in Romney Marsh where out of a population of just over 7,000 they had 97.1% are classed as white British. I think he means”you” when he says “we” as He probably can’t remember the last time he saw a person that wasn’t white so helping immigrants integrate doesn’t really apply to him apart form the odd Australian he might speak to now and again 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

One of the best! 60 is way too young but then with his lifestyle I suppose not a bad effort.

Easy to see why some Englanders hold a grudge against him for what happened in a WC QF so not sure why its worth argueing about. 

Will watch his documentary tonight which has been recommended to me.

awWBY2QD_700w_0.jpg

RIP

Edited by skintsaint

19 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re weird.....

You made a comment about Butcher being a cheat because he kicked players. Football is a contact sport and players have been kicking each other ever since it started. They haven’t been punching the ball in the net and claiming a goal ever since it started. Not everybody wants to win by any means possible. This is Britain. If we had scored a goal like that the guilt would still be obvious even now. This is a country where we apologise when we have done nothing wrong. If Vinnie Jones had scored the winner against us in an FA Cup quarter final I guarantee you would call him a cheating cunt until your dying day. What is weird is pretending that scoring that goal wasn’t the act of a cheat and not the way that you would want to win such an important game.

This is for you Turkish. Thanks for the in depth breakdown of the ethnicity of where I currently live. Not sure what that has to do with anything but just to let you know, I was born and raised just down the road from Brixton so have probably seen more black faces than you will ever see. I also spent a great deal of my life working in London. You know, the capital city full of foreign people. 

Edited by sadoldgit
Missed text

On 25/11/2020 at 21:29, sadoldgit said:

Oh dear. This racist does not speak for me and I hope he doesn't represent other saints fans. RIP Maradona. 

On 25/11/2020 at 22:28, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re weird.....

I for one would not gone wild with celebration had Lineker had used his hand. I never was best pleased with Owen for his penalty dive against Argentina. If you blanket that all footballers cheat then it is a sad day for 'sport' I always walked in cricket as I couldnt see why you could feel any achievement for any of the runs after you had knowingly cheated

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Oh dear. This racist does not speak for me and I hope he doesn't represent other saints fans. RIP Maradona. 

Here you go again. Why is calling someone a cheat when they cheat a racist comment? I think that you will find that most decent people want to win matches by their ability to compete rather than their ability to cheat. How you managed to shoe horn racism into a conversation about punching a football into the net and claiming goal only you will know. It’s a stalkers mentality I guess.

On 26/11/2020 at 00:01, Turkish said:

I’m always amused at soggys anti racism posts about how we should be more welcoming, we should do more to hemp immigrants integrate. Posted from his home in Romney Marsh where out of a population of just over 7,000 they had 97.1% are classed as white British. I think he means”you” when he says “we” as He probably can’t remember the last time he saw a person that wasn’t white so helping immigrants integrate doesn’t really apply to him apart form the odd Australian he might speak to now and again 

What does where I live have to do with anything? Another odd comment from the forum’s main attention seeking backed up by his odd sidekick. I was born and raised very close to Brixton so have probably seen more black faces than you. I also spent most of my working life in London which as you may or may not know, is full of foreign people. Being or not being a racist has nothing to do with where you live. It is a state of mind. Perhaps if you spent more time out in the real world rather than attempting to score cheap points on an Internet forum (and failing) all day long, you might start to develop some kind of normality. The fact that you have sucked someone like hypo into your orbit should be a cause for concern.

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

What does where I live have to do with anything? Another odd comment from the forum’s main attention seeking backed up by his odd sidekick. I was born and raised very close to Brixton so have probably seen more black faces than you. I also spent most of my working life in London which as you may or may not know, is full of foreign people. Being or not being a racist has nothing to do with where you live. It is a state of mind. Perhaps if you spent more time out in the real world rather than attempting to score cheap points on an Internet forum (and failing) all day long, you might start to develop some kind of normality. The fact that you have sucked someone like hypo into your orbit should be a cause for concern.

"I was born and raised very close to Brixton so have probably seen more black faces than you" 🤣

"I also spent most of my working life in London which as you may or may not know, is full of foreign people" 🤣

I dont even know where to start with these comments other than they are utterly hilarious. Just out of interest how many are on your tally chart of how many black people you have seen?

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Here you go again. Why is calling someone a cheat when they cheat a racist comment? I think that you will find that most decent people want to win matches by their ability to compete rather than their ability to cheat. How you managed to shoe horn racism into a conversation about punching a football into the net and claiming goal only you will know. It’s a stalkers mentality I guess.

I don’t recall you getting as worked up about an Englishmen cheating. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t recall you getting as worked up about an Englishmen cheating. 

He pointedly said he doesnt want any any English players cheating, not like those dirty cheating c*nt Dagos, hey soggy. Still he has probably seen more black people than either of us 😂

10 minutes ago, aintforever said:

He was a cheating cunt, I hated him at the time because Shilts was my hero as a kid. You have to admire his football though, and his passion for the game and country, plus his mental lifestyle.

I can’t say I admire that, if I’m honest. Society needs to move away from the ‘rock and roll’ image of alcohol and substance abuse.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t say I admire that, if I’m honest. Society needs to move away from the ‘rock and roll’ image of alcohol and substance abuse.

Society also needs to move away from seeing substance addiction as substance abuse. The fella was unwell. 

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Surely you can't have substance addiction without first having substance abuse?

Anyways, he was Argentinian and he cheated in the 80's, that was enough for me to dislike him.

That's the spirit, bear a xenophobic resentment for over 30 years. 

On the first point, addiction can flow from use, not abuse. Abuse does not necessarily lead to addiction. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

That's the spirit, bear a xenophobic resentment for over 30 years. 

That's the spirit, jump to conclusions as usual.

I've not said it was for 30 years, I said it 'was' enough 'in the 80's'.

To be honest, I don't think I've even considered Maradonna for more than about 10 minutes since 1987.  Maybe the odd snigger when reading about his fall from grace over the years, hardly the xenophobia you've got a wet, sticky patch in your pants about.

33 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's the spirit, jump to conclusions as usual.

I've not said it was for 30 years, I said it 'was' enough 'in the 80's'.

To be honest, I don't think I've even considered Maradonna for more than about 10 minutes since 1987.  Maybe the odd snigger when reading about his fall from grace over the years, hardly the xenophobia you've got a wet, sticky patch in your pants about.

When you write "he was Argentinian and he cheated in the 80's, that was enough for me to dislike him." people who can read will take that to mean that you disliked him because he's Argentinian and cheated in the 80`s. 

Sticky patch. Bless. 

4 hours ago, egg said:

Society also needs to move away from seeing substance addiction as substance abuse. The fella was unwell. 

I think you’re splitting hairs there and missing the point. A lifetime of drinking to excess and shovelling white powder up your nose isn’t something to be admired. 99% of people who do it aren’t living some rock’n’roll dream, they’re ruining their own life and those of the people they care about.

I wish our directors showed the same passion as Maradona at a Bocas game.

Hearing (as we would with no crowds ‘get up you mother fuckers’ would be inspiring.

After seeing Lineker doc the other night i need to try and get to a Boca game at some point

On 27/11/2020 at 17:13, Turkish said:

He pointedly said he doesnt want any any English players cheating, not like those dirty cheating c*nt Dagos, hey soggy. Still he has probably seen more black people than either of us 😂

I didn’t say that and suggest that you get your facts right before you post your usual WUM nonsense. 

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

I didn’t say that and suggest that you get your facts right before you post your usual WUM nonsense. 

Which part of you saying this is you not saying that and WUM merchant nonsense?

On 25/11/2020 at 21:29, sadoldgit said:

I don’t want to see Saints players, England players or any other players for that matter dive, play act to get players booked or sent off, punch the ball in the net - blatantly cheat.

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I recall you giving Butch Wilkins dogs abuse for drink driving when he passed away but apparently drug abuse gets a free pass?

To people who posted what a great bloke Wilkins was, I merely pointed out that decent folk don’t get in a car when pissed and endanger life. Had the discussion been about Maradona being a nice guy & a decent bloke, you’d have a point. But the discussion was about him punching the ball into the net and why some people can’t forgive this act, when Englishmen do the same week in week out. You’re just trying to muddy the waters because you judge South American’s differently than good old English chaps. There’s a word for that.....