Racist abuse on social media after team loses

East Kent Saint

Ralph was quite negative about twitter the other day, basically saying that doesn't understand why the players need to use it, that they get enough exposure already. 

I am in favour of anonymous posting generally but there is a price to pay, that a minority of fringe-oddballs can and will say anything.  

2 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

Let's not pretend it doesn't go on in stadiums too (pre-lockdown obvs). 

Back in the day it was awful in the stadiums but now people are less tolerant it has improved a lot, still work to do but it is less acceptable. I hope that now people are less tolerant on social media it might get better, as the first step is that awareness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

Let's not pretend it doesn't go on in stadiums too (pre-lockdown obvs). 

I must be the only one that just doesn’t hear it then, been going to all homes games and a fair few away games. 
im not saying it 100% does not exist in stadiums but I honestly can’t remember when I last heard anything racist, I guess we are talking about racism based on someone’s skin colour or are we talking about the stuff that people say about Gao being Chinese? 
SM is completely different become it obviously provides a certain cloak of anonymity and so these twats think they can get away with it. 

3 hours ago, washsaint said:

Typically, it's because there are a bunch of utter t***s on social media and many self-entitled brats.

Personally I hate social media and the real damage it does to people's mental health.

Social media is a giant echo chamber.

Don’t you think this is social media? 

There are cunts in all walks of life, always have been, always will be.

What social media provides you with is anomality. You can hide behind whatever your avatar is and post as much vitriol as you want, sat behind a VPN, and you are pretty much untouchable.

I know clubs are calling on social media to do more etc etc, but there isn't really a huge deal that can be done - otherwise you play with the idea of totally removing any form of free speech and having every post moderated before it's visible etc. 

As we've done through generations, we just need to accept that there are a lot of utter cunts out there and they are waiting to fire abuse at anyone to make themselves feel better. They can just do it behind a cloak online.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There are cunts in all walks of life, always have been, always will be.

What social media provides you with is anomality. You can hide behind whatever your avatar is and post as much vitriol as you want, sat behind a VPN, and you are pretty much untouchable.

I know clubs are calling on social media to do more etc etc, but there isn't really a huge deal that can be done - otherwise you play with the idea of totally removing any form of free speech and having every post moderated before it's visible etc. 

As we've done through generations, we just need to accept that there are a lot of utter cunts out there and they are waiting to fire abuse at anyone to make themselves feel better. They can just do it behind a cloak online.

I had something on in the background not really listening the other day, so for the life of me I can't remember what it was. However  I took notice as they were arguing about someone who had said that you couldn't completely get rid of racism and they were slating the person.

I must say that I agree, you can't eliminate anything completely. Look at murders..You'd think in all the years we have had laws people would have learned by now but there are still hundreds? or is it thousands of murders each year in the UK( as an side I think read there are 30,000 gun related deaths in the US per year? that's mental! ). So i tend to agree, you can do as much as you can do but ultimately some idiot will do what they want anyway be it racism, murder, nicking a car or dropping some litter!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pedantic Pete said:

I had something on in the background not really listening the other day, so for the life of me I can't remember what it was. However  I took notice as they were arguing about someone who had said that you couldn't completely get rid of racism and they were slating the person.

I must say that I agree, you can't eliminate anything completely. Look at murders..You'd think in all the years we have had laws people would have learned by now but there are still hundreds? or is it thousands of murders each year in the UK( as an side I think read there are 30,000 gun related deaths in the US per year? that's mental! ). So i tend to agree, you can do as much as you can do but ultimately some idiot will do what they want anyway be it racism, murder, nicking a car or dropping some litter!

Doesn't mean we don't all strive to find ways to keep these things to a minumum! 

1 minute ago, Jonnyboy said:

Doesn't mean we don't all strive to find ways to keep these things to a minumum! 

Define 'minimum'. We're talking about incidents making the news, some of which may be entirely down to one individual on a planet of 7,000,000,000+. I don't know what portion of that has internet access but you get the idea.

Thing is it's not a problem with racism, the problem is the subset of utter wankers who love nothing more than spending time on social media abusing people. They'll use anything they can to get a reaction - I'd wager that people like Aguero or De Gea get just as much abuse as Rashford or Pogba, it's just largely ignored. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Thing is it's not a problem with racism, the problem is the subset of utter wankers who love nothing more than spending time on social media abusing people. They'll use anything they can to get a reaction - I'd wager that people like Aguero or De Gea get just as much abuse as Rashford or Pogba, it's just largely ignored. 

The ultimate irony is that some of them probably don’t even subscribe to any particular racial theory. They’re just lonely, low self esteem, lacking purpose and craving attention and notoriety, which they know they can achieve just by sending a few tweets to the right people.

All forms of racism are abhorrent and those who do it from anonymous social media accounts are the very lowest form of scum, more needs to be done. 

Whats true however, is that BLM have single handedly made the situation much much worse with their toxic marxist division, led on by the loony left. They WANT these cowardly trolls to post their filth because it makes them feel that their cause is relevant....and of course it pays for their mansions. 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Exactly, these people don't even know what they're raging about half the time.

'Captain Fantastic' or 'Uncle John' get a thrill out of anonymous slagging off. In simple terms they're trolls, but their impact can be quite devastating (going beyond football).

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Exactly, these people don't even know what they're raging about half the time.

'Captain Fantastic' or 'Uncle John' get a thrill out of anonymous slagging off. In simple terms they're trolls, but their impact can be quite devastating (going beyond football).

This is the one post I'm going to make in this because I think it's pathetic and I don't have a lot of time for it but I'm sorry this post is all sorts of stupid and so is the one you're quoting too.

So really, what you're saying is it's ok to call someone a "f*king wog" "n*gger" or in the case of Son a "dog eater" as long as they don't know what they're raging about?

Ok got it.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

This is the one post I'm going to make in this because I think it's pathetic and I don't have a lot of time for it but I'm sorry this post is all sorts of stupid and so is the one you're quoting too.

So really, what you're saying is it's ok to call someone a "f*king wog" "n*gger" or in the case of Son a "dog eater" as long as they don't know what they're raging about?

Ok got it.

Umm, no. I think you're getting your little knickers in a twist there mate. Didn't say that at all, nor did I insinuate it or suggest it. Tell me exactly where I suggested it was ok? Point that out to me please. I just cannot quite fathom what you've read from those posts that's made you get all up in a mess about it.

I think you're looking for offence which isn't there. 

I think newspaper journos have got an erection about online racism. 

Millions of users and yet we only see half a dozen racist comments, you wiil never stop racism.

Amazingly a fair wack of racist abuse recently has come from the middle east. 

It has to be reported and then hopefully court action taken.

Players of course can stop any replies to posts and stop notifications as well, all done via settings.

• Like 2

On 13/04/2021 at 22:42, Noodles34 said:

I must be the only one that just doesn’t hear it then, been going to all homes games and a fair few away games. 
im not saying it 100% does not exist in stadiums but I honestly can’t remember when I last heard anything racist, I guess we are talking about racism based on someone’s skin colour or are we talking about the stuff that people say about Gao being Chinese? 
SM is completely different become it obviously provides a certain cloak of anonymity and so these twats think they can get away with it. 

You're not the only one.

Can't remember hearing any at St Marys. Like you, I'm not saying it doesn't exist but you'd have thought if it was widely racist one of us would have.

I personally don't get too upset at abuse giving to me especially by people who don't make themselves known or who don't know me.  I'm quite happy about myself and have accepted the faults I have  but, I think some who get upset very easily are possibly a little insecure. I'm not saying that makes it's ok to abuse people.   

People who go on social media just expecting to be idolised and glorified are living on cloud cuckoo land as there's always some twat waiting to abuse someone to make themselves feel big in their own little world!

On 13/04/2021 at 22:48, S-Clarke said:

That’s why I’m here!

Edited by whelk

On 13/04/2021 at 23:32, Lighthouse said:

Define 'minimum'. We're talking about incidents making the news, some of which may be entirely down to one individual on a planet of 7,000,000,000+. I don't know what portion of that has internet access but you get the idea.

I shudder to think what woudl come out of some Saints fans social media by seeing the behaviour and intelligence of some of these cunts on the trains.

15 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I think newspaper journos have got an erection about online racism. 

Millions of users and yet we only see half a dozen racist comments, you wiil never stop racism.

Amazingly a fair wack of racist abuse recently has come from the middle east. 

It has to be reported and then hopefully court action taken.

Players of course can stop any replies to posts and stop notifications as well, all done via settings.

Exactly that sanctimonious Scottish fucker on Sky Sports News reacts to news of a tweet like a family has just been lynched

On 14/04/2021 at 20:50, JustinSFC said:

Ok got it.

Neither me or him have said it's OK, just that they're addressing the problem as if it's one thing when it's another. If social media companies put instant IP bans on anyone posting racist abuse and eliminate it, will we then be satisfied or will someone tweeting abuse of a non-racial variety get the same treatment?

21 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Neither me or him have said it's OK, just that they're addressing the problem as if it's one thing when it's another. If social media companies put instant IP bans on anyone posting racist abuse and eliminate it, will we then be satisfied or will someone tweeting abuse of a non-racial variety get the same treatment?

21 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Is the question that if they do ban everyone posting anything racist, is that going to eliminate racism or just stop people posting racist comments? 

5 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

The reason that people type racist abuse  on Twitter is because the person typing it is racist.

Classic misunderstanding of the kind of morons you get on social media. Majority of the time the people looking for a reaction don't even slightly believe what they're typing, they're just posting it because they know it's the most offensive thing they can say. 

As I said above, they abuse everyone regardless of skin colour...but you're not exactly going to use racial slurs against white players are you, you use something else. Is the abuse Lallana got about his son not being his any less distressing from his point of view?

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Classic misunderstanding of the kind of morons you get on social media. Majority of the time the people looking for a reaction don't even slightly believe what they're typing, they're just posting it because they know it's the most offensive thing they can say. 

As I said above, they abuse everyone regardless of skin colour...but you're not exactly going to use racial slurs against white players are you, you use something else. Is the abuse Lallana got about his son not being his any less distressing from his point of view?

I’ve been on this site 14 years...& I’ve read some absolute bollocks in my time...but not even you believe what you’ve just typed...& yes I would ban anyone who abuses a player if it’s  based on race or not.
 Want to abuse Lallana about his son?..great..you’re banned.

Edited by wadesmith
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

I’ve been on this site 14 years...& I’ve read some absolute bollocks in my time...but not even you believe what you’ve just typed...& yes I would ban anyone who abuses a player if it’s  based on race or not.
 Want to abuse Lallana about his son?..great..you’re banned.

Telling me what I do and don't believe is pretty sanctimonious. I know for a fact there are people out there who post things that they don't believe purely to get a reaction. 

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Telling me what I do and don't believe is pretty sanctimonious. I know for a fact there are people out there who post things that they don't believe purely to get a reaction. 

Ok..saying what you posted was ‘bollocks’ was harsh & I apologise. I been debating what you said since my post..& it is an interesting point, essentially what I think you are saying is that not all people who post racist abuse are racist, but are just doing it because they know it will get a reaction (although I think that is a very fine line)...& you can’t really post racist abuse about a white footballer..or at least it’s more difficult. So my thoughts are where do we draw the line? Using you’re theory are we to assume it’s impossible to tell if someone’s racist, as they may actually not be racist in the slightest..but choose to post racist abuse because they know it will get a reaction Would your view be that we shouldn’t ban people who post racist abuse on Twitter as it’s impossible to tell if they are really racist, or if they arejust trying to get a reaction..& therefore you can never spot a real racist? My view is that anyone posting racial..or non racial abuse (ie like the Lallana incident) should be banned.

Edited by wadesmith

2 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

Ok..saying what you posted was ‘bollocks’ was harsh & I apologise. I been debating what you said since my post..& it is an interesting point, essentially what I think you are saying is that not all people who post racist abuse are racist, but are just doing it because they know it will get a reaction (although I think that is a very fine line)...& you can’t really post racist abuse about a white footballer..or at least it’s more difficult. So my thoughts are where do we draw the line? Using you’re theory are we to assume it’s impossible to tell if someone’s racist, as they may actually not be racist in the slightest..but choose to post racist abuse because they know it will get a reaction Would your view be that we shouldn’t ban people who post racist abuse on Twitter as it’s impossible to tell if they are really racist, or if they arejust trying to get a reaction..& therefore you can never spot a real racist? My view is that anyone posting racial..or non racial abuse (ie like the Lallana incident) should be banned.

Oh no, I absolutely believe they should be banned. In fact it should be an IP bans and all social media platforms should get together to form a system like a local pub watch, where if one bans you they all ban you. 

I just get fed up of this kind of abuse being used as "evidence" of a huge problem with racism in football when most of the people posting it don't actually believe it, might not even be football fans and could be from literally anywhere in the world. If we're going to address a problem i'd rather we do so with an accurate picture of why the problem exists rather than creating false narratives. 

Anyway, it's cup semi final day, I'm going to leave this for now, have a drink and cheer the boys on. Enjoy the game buddy.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, whelk said:

The boycott seems to be working - hardly saw a thing on Twitter about the game.

woudl be funny if Klopp walked out tonight and none of the journos could say anything about it.

Wouldn't been a great week to launch the European Super League TBH.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56988616

8 game ban for calling opo a 'stupid polynesian c**t . He's not a racist but it was a racist type thing to say ! Not sure this is the correct answer.

Edited by East Kent Saint

On 07/04/2021 at 13:18, East Kent Saint said:

Is this orchestrated or a copy cat reaction or a kick back for taking the knee ? Always gets publicity.

I think generally it's attention seekers writing things they know will get a reaction and the more publicity it gets the more oddballs will do it. 

Personally I think sports people on social media will always get stick, even from their own fans when playing badly, but the racial side of it is more to do with the attention seekers looking for highest possible impact / reaction, if calling the players something else caused a bigger fuss they'd probably just use that. 

34 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Sadly, Tella has shared some racist messages he's received on Instagram after last night's game 😩

Bet it was some anonymous cunt aswell. Always is.

They need to introduce some sort of ID system, Twitter aswell.

It's not just racism, it's the general unaccountability for all comments. Racist or not.

Edited by JustinSFC

2 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Always will be, hiding behind a VPN never to be traced. Social media companies will respond and get the account closed down.

But it's ever so easy for them to do it all again tomorrow under a new guise and via another VPN. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

They need to introduce some sort of ID system, Twitter aswell.

It's not just racism, it's the general unaccountability for all comments. Racist or not.

Completely unworkable and a typical knee jerk reactionary comment. 

3 hours ago, supersonic said:

Sadly, Tella has shared some racist messages he's received on Instagram after last night's game 😩

Thing is, the idiot who did it now knows he's got under his skin. Although this online racism shouldn't be happening, it'll only get worse the more the victims highlight it. I don't understand how people think that highlighting it helps. 

Just now, egg said:

Thing is, the idiot who did it now knows he's got under his skin. Although this online racism shouldn't be happening, it'll only get worse the more the victims highlight it. I don't understand how people think that highlighting it helps. 

I do know where you're coming from. These people are trolls, they are doing what they're doing for the reactions and the buzz that gives them. Like you said, the constant highlighting of it is providing them that buzz over, and over and over again.

The best thing to do is just ignore it, delete it, report it...but don't make a noise about it and silence these idiots. At the moment they have the stage in a weird way.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I do know where you're coming from. These people are trolls, they are doing what they're doing for the reactions and the buzz that gives them. Like you said, the constant highlighting of it is providing them that buzz over, and over and over again.

The best thing to do is just ignore it, delete it, report it...but don't make a noise about it and silence these idiots. At the moment they have the stage in a weird way.

Yep. I can't see a single benefit in highlighting it. I think it was Morgan Freeman who said something similar years ago and he probably knows a bit about the subject. 

The solution is a different SM platform with no @ or DM function, so you can't contact anybody. Make it simply a subscription platform where you can choose to read people's tweets and nothing else. Sadly, platforms like Twitter are just too popular as people become literally addicted to numbers of likes, retweets, followers and the possibility that the tall one from JLS or a 43 year old former Page 3 girl might retweet them or send a generic birthday greeting.

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The solution is a different SM platform with no @ or DM function, so you can't contact anybody. Make it simply a subscription platform where you can choose to read people's tweets and nothing else. Sadly, platforms like Twitter are just too popular as people become literally addicted to numbers of likes, retweets, followers and the possibility that the tall one from JLS or a 43 year old former Page 3 girl might retweet them or send a generic birthday greeting.

You can disable comments on your posts on Twitter if you want to avoiding them being open to comments. You can also set it so only people you follow can reply. It's a sad state of affairs if people have to resort to that though.

Edited by The Cat

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Completely unworkable and a typical knee jerk reactionary comment. 

It's not hard.

Make it subscription based £1 quid a year, they'd at least have to enter in their credit card details and that would be enough to identify individuals.

Those that have a problem with that are mostly the ones who want to send people shit, everyone else wouldn't mind.

If Twitter wanted to do that they could. But for some reason they won't.

Nobody genuine is going to suddenly stop using Twitter because of £1 pound a year.

4 hours ago, supersonic said:

The moron called Tella a monkey, which is wrong... Tella is a great ape (like every human is).

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1