Dynel Simeu

SuperSAINT

9 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Good to see we're getting the recruitment right for the future.

Would be disappointed if he wasn't getting man of the match and having commanding performances at that level. The hierarchy expects him to be in the 1st team squad next season, not sure a loan at a league 2 club was planned when we signed him.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Streaky said:

Would be disappointed if he wasn't getting man of the match and having commanding performances at that level. The hierarchy expects him to be in the 1st team squad next season, not sure a loan at a league 2 club was planned when we signed him.

Seems that going there has taught him which side of the bread is buttered - Carlisle fans appear to have taken him to their hearts and through that he’s recognised that football is more than having a fat wedge in his pocket; that what he does on a Saturday puts smiles on the faces of community.
Hopefully that means he comes back a more rounded character and an asset to us - at the same time we might have found a nice club in Carlisle to enhance the nippers on the cusp that we need to keep ticking over with proper football - whilst keeping their feet on on the ground.

12 hours ago, Streaky said:

Better for him than playing in our U-23s if he isn't ready for the first team squad

10 minutes ago, waylander said:

Better for him than playing in our U-23s if he isn't ready for the first team squad

Exactly this. Doesn’t matter that it’s league 2.  He’s playing men’s football and is doing very well.

Next season he will likely go up a couple of levels.  Good for him.

• Like 4

On 26/03/2022 at 18:25, Streaky said:

Remember how Antonio played for us in league one? Quality at times, but not even first choice at any point he was with us. 

43 minutes ago, It's There said:

Good article - wise words form the young man!

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He seems to have a superb attitude.  Great stuff and hope he continues this form

Agreed, just hope he shows the same attitude and degree of humility in a couple of years when linked with a move to Liverpool or wherever.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve just watched him play for Carlisle away at Harrogate. It’s fair to say I wasn’t watching the new Van Dijk! He was okay didn’t really do much wrong but didn’t stand out as a player capable of playing at a much higher level. Went off after 55 minutes injured I think after a heavy fall a few minutes earlier. In mitigation Carlisle were probably the worst professional team I’ve ever seen, made harrogate who have been awful for a couple of months look like 1970 Brazil and could have won 8-0 if they could finish.  Really hard game to judge him on mainly because his team were beyond awful. I’m sure there will be some stats somewhere they say how magnificent he and Carlisle were but watching the game wasn’t quite like that

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

Think Carlisle players have been gazing through the window of Thomas Cook down the High Street since last Monday, when they figured only an act of god would see them cast into National League: having been walking the tightrope for most of the season.

Next time you watch Saints playing “on the beach” you have a benchmark to rate them against 🤪😜😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’ve just watched him play for Carlisle away at Harrogate. It’s fair to say I wasn’t watching the new Van Dijk! He was okay didn’t really do much wrong but didn’t stand out as a player capable of playing at a much higher level. Went off after 55 minutes injured I think after a heavy fall a few minutes earlier. In mitigation Carlisle were probably the worst professional team I’ve ever seen, made harrogate who have been awful for a couple of months look like 1970 Brazil and could have won 8-0 if they could finish.  Really hard game to judge him on mainly because his team were beyond awful. I’m sure there will be some stats somewhere they say how magnificent he and Carlisle were but watching the game wasn’t quite like that

Mind you, at least Carlisle will still be EFL 92 members next year unlike our fellow PL founder members Oldham. First ex PL club to fall out of the league structure. Remember us losing 4-3 up there final day in 1993 for them to stay up despite MLT hat trick and pitch invasion again in their peak. Very different invasion today. 

Edited by saint1977
Wrong year for the 4-3.

Just now, saint1977 said:

Mind you, at least Carlisle will still be EFL 92 members next year unlike our fellow PL founder members Oldham. First ex PL club to fall out of the league structure. Remember us losing 4-3 up there final day in 1994 for them to stay up despite MLT hat trick and pitch invasion again in their peak. Very different invasion today. 

I took my son and two of his mates to the game today, none of them born when we beat Carlisle in the JPT. I said I’d seen Southampton beat Carlisle at Wembley in the cup final, they all said, how were Carlisle ever good enough to make the FA cup final 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Only thing that matters is xG.  3-0 is pointless to the league table if the xG was 1.89-0.76 surely? 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Only thing that matters is xG.  3-0 is pointless to the league table if the xG was 1.89-0.76 surely? 

I’ve never quite understood how You can have an XG which is less than a full number, either it’s goal right not, how can a team Be expected to score 2.36 goals for example. Either it’s 2 goals or 3 goals. You don’t get 0.36th of a goal

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I’ve never quite understood how You can have an XG which is less than a full number, either it’s goal right not, how can a team Be expected to score 2.36 goals for example. Either it’s 2 goals or 3 goals. You don’t get 0.36th of a goal

I presume it's like Burnley's second goal this week ... -33% for climbing on a defending player and -15% for dubious debatable getting in the goalie's way. So Burnley scored 0.52 of a goal.

Reflected in the league table as 1, rounded up .... 

Yeah, it's stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Edited by Matthew Le God

43 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Ha! Just watched this as was genuinely interested. 

The comment around Kane, lukaku, Sanchez consistently outperforming their XG made me laugh. 

We had a debate about this last week where we were told no players out perform their XG (despite proving they did)…. Looks like I was right after all 😂😂

Anyway, Simeu.. yeah he’s not gonna make it here.

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The video explains your confusion as to why it isn't a whole number.

I’m not confused about it. It’s quite simple, in a real life you don’t score anything other than whole numbers. An xg of 2.36 is actually as XG of 2 so it’s deeply flawed 

Edited by Turkish

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m not confused about it. It’s quite simple, in a real life you don’t score less anything other than whole numbers. An xg of 2.36 is actually as XG of 2 so it’s deeply flawed 

Your post started with saying "I’ve never quite understood", which is confusion. I've attempted to explain it. Clearly you still don't understand how xG works. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Your post started with saying "I’ve never quite understood", which is confusion. I've attempted to explain it. Clearly you still don't understand how xG works. 

It’s fairly simple. Who was the last team to score less than a full number of goals in a match?

Edited by Turkish

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Who was the last team to score less than a full number of goals in a match?

No-one

But so what? You completely miss the fundamental point of xG.

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

xG is all about % liklihood of scoring that chance comparing it to similar chances in those conditions and how often it results in a goal. That is why it can be not a whole number.

Edited by Matthew Le God

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No-one

But so what? You completely miss the fundamental point of xG.

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

xG is all about % liklihood of scoring that chance comparing it to similar chances in those conditions and how often it results in a goal. That is why it can be not a whole number.

And the % likelihood of scoring 2.36 goals is 0% so it’s flawed 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

And the % likelihood of scoring 2.36 goals is 0% so it’s flawed 

Yet again you are making it clear you don't understand statistics. 

Each chance is given a value from 0 to 1 based on comparing it to similar chances in other games and the liklihood of those being goals. 

I think the key issue is you misunderstanding the purpose of using xG.

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Each chance is given a value from 0 to 1 based on comparing it to similar chances in other games and the liklihood of those being goals. 

And the key issue is your misunderstanding of football

Edited by Turkish
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Blimey - this has gone SaintsWeb Chinese Whispers from  Dynel Simeu to XG rather quickly. 

One of my 2.4 children might be able to explain that one to me.

I'd just like to offer support for fractional children. There's no reason why they can't grow up to have, if not round number xG, then certainly fractional xG.

Hopefully Simeu will be able to push on from his loan spell.

On 24/04/2022 at 13:50, Matthew Le God said:

Yes Stats , it has been shown time and again you can pick your results by time period or by excluding elements such as not including fraud in crime stats . This meant the Govt could claim that crime had gone down 14% when inc fraud it went up 14% .

In football Saints had 18 shots 5 on target where as Brighton had 10 shots and 5 on target so Brighton were more successful in ratio of shots to being on target or Saints were more successful as they created more more chances so had more potential goals . In reality Saints scored 2 great goals and Brighton fluked 2 so Saints should get 3 points on the peoples vote 😄

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Quite a gesture from a loan player. The Carlisle fans seem to absolutely love him, be interesting to see if he makes a breakthrough with the first team next year. 

That's actually really nice. The comments from their fans under the tweet are great. Seems like he's had an excellent experience up there which will be good for his development.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Played well in Tranmeres 1-1 draw away to Harrogate. Tranmere fans love him, spoke to one in the pub after and he said he's been brilliant for them this season, along with ex Saint Jordan Turnbull, who scored Tranmeres goal yesterday. Seemed strange to send him on loan to another league 2 club as he did really well at Carlise last season, definitely capable of playing up a level this season. In other ex saints news Ramsay played quite well as well.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Played well in Tranmeres 1-1 draw away to Harrogate. Tranmere fans love him, spoke to one in the pub after and he said he's been brilliant for them this season, along with ex Saint Jordan Turnbull, who scored Tranmeres goal yesterday. Seemed strange to send him on loan to another league 2 club as he did really well at Carlise last season, definitely capable of playing up a level this season. In other ex saints news Ramsay played quite well as well.

I was slightly surprised a league 1 club didn't sign him on loan. Do you think he has the physical attributes - pace and power as well as the ball skills to play in the top flight?

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was slightly surprised a league 1 club didn't sign him on loan. Do you think he has the physical attributes - pace and power as well as the ball skills to play in the top flight?

Difficult to say as Only seen him twice. Once was for Carlisle last season, he went off injured just after half time and didn’t really stand out, but then Carlisle were terrible, quite possibly the worst professional team I’ve ever seen.
He looked good yesterday but Harrogate have been poor this year and really struggled for goals this season so not the strongest opposition to form an opinion on. He does appear to have all the attributes and fans of both team he’s been on loan at rave about him. Gut feel says he’s not going to be top level, he’s been good without being outstanding at the level I’ve seen him at but He is only 20. He’s definitely much better than league 2 level though. 

On 23/10/2022 at 14:13, Turkish said:

I think that might be the first goal Tranmere have conceded since he's been there!

Can only think Tranmere gave a guarantee of him getting playing time, whereas League One sides weren't so forthcoming. Suspect even if he'd gone to a League One side and not immediately been put in the starting lineup, he'd have forced his way in eventually.

• 2 months later...

To be fair I've followed him on loan for the last year and a half and at both previous clubs he has done well and was missed when he left.

He's seems too good for League 2 i guess so will be interesting how he gets on in L1, I hope he does well the lad deserves a good opportunity be it with us in pre-season or elsewhere and hopefully for him its not just in the north west.

Carlisle/Tranmere and Morecambe - does he he have some side piece up there or what. 

• Like 1