Saints Rainbow Shirt

miserableoldgit

4 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I am happy with people to express their opinions and it does make you think . However some posters can be guaranteed to post contrary posts on some subjects regardless . I do not applaud anything I’m told but that’s me .

I see that Asian teams in Yorkshire have pointed out that are excluded from progression to Yorkshire CC , as a rule , contrary to your assertion in a previous thread .

I’ve asked our friend twice what it is LGBTs are in fear of and what is this more work that needs to be done. I’m yet to get a response. sorry you don’t like that I don’t nod along in agreement with everything I’m told. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’ve asked our friend twice what it is LGBTs are in fear of and what is this more work that needs to be done. I’m yet to get a response. sorry you don’t like that I don’t nod along in agreement with everything I’m told. 

I don’t go along with anything I’m told , quite the opposite . As to other people’s fears you have to understand that is what they feel . People of colour I know rarely tell me about the racism they have experienced but occasionally they do and it is a bit of an eye opener that they have experienced it all their lives in one form or another . 

7 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Anything by Turkish or Hypo etc that claim they are not in any way prejudiced but …..

Where have either of us said anything like that? Disagreeing with initiatives that seek to divide Southampton fans along identity lines like sexuality and race is not prejudiced in the slightest. 

20 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I don’t go along with anything I’m told , quite the opposite . As to other people’s fears you have to understand that is what they feel . People of colour I know rarely tell me about the racism they have experienced but occasionally they do and it is a bit of an eye opener that they have experienced it all their lives in one form or another . 

Yep I’ve asked him twice and he’s not replied. You’ve not actually read anything I’ve said have you, just what you think I’ve said. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Where have either of us said anything like that? Disagreeing with initiatives that seek to divide Southampton fans along identity lines like sexuality and race is not prejudiced in the slightest. 

In his head.

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In his head.

It's fine if people want to quote a specific post they might disagree with or take issue with and discuss it but it's simpler and easier for some to just throw out general smears without providing any details just because they don't like that someone might express some reservations about some initiatives. 

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's fine if people want to quote a specific post they might disagree with or take issue with and discuss it but it's simpler and easier for some to just throw out general smears without providing any details just because they don't like that someone might express some reservations about some initiatives. 

What’s amusing is he’s banging on about understanding why people feel like that but obviously not read or ignored that I’ve asked that very questions more than once. Like you say easier to cast aspersions at people you don’t like than engage in discussion 

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

I'm not LGBT, so not speaking from experience, but I would assume the fears involve being surrounded by homophobic abuse, not feeling comfortable and generally feeling excluded. Football crowds are rife with toxic masculinity remember. 

Consistently the view of many on here (yourself included) have been that going to games alone is fine because you've done it, and if your experience was fine then theirs must be too. I could easily go to games alone, because I've been to many with others, so I know where I would want to sit, what time to arrive, when to stand and shout and when to be quiet. If I didn't have that experience I would be very nervous about going to games, so I would want to find a supporters group of like-minded individuals to give me the answers and maybe offer to go together. The LGBTQ+ supporters group offers that, it is a safe space (not physical, its not like they're going to take over a section of the stadium, although that seems to be some people's worries...) where they can discuss any such concerns, form a bond with other fans, and feel included. This will have absolutely no impact on the fans who already attend games or feel included, but will open a potential door for those who currently might have the above concerns.

The work to be done is the removal of homophobic chanting where possible, by educating those where such education never occurred, highlighting to individuals that certain phrases that have previously been seen as fine, would actually offend people, and by banning those who are openly homophobic in the stadium. Sadly homophobia doesn't appear to be something that can easily be entirely eradicated, as also goes for racism, but an attempt to limit it and to make everyone feel as welcome as a supporter of the club is worthwhile. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I'm not LGBT, so not speaking from experience, but I would assume the fears involve being surrounded by homophobic abuse, not feeling comfortable and generally feeling excluded. Football crowds are rife with toxic masculinity remember. 

Consistently the view of many on here (yourself included) have been that going to games alone is fine because you've done it, and if your experience was fine then theirs must be too. I could easily go to games alone, because I've been to many with others, so I know where I would want to sit, what time to arrive, when to stand and shout and when to be quiet. If I didn't have that experience I would be very nervous about going to games, so I would want to find a supporters group of like-minded individuals to give me the answers and maybe offer to go together. The LGBTQ+ supporters group offers that, it is a safe space (not physical, its not like they're going to take over a section of the stadium, although that seems to be some people's worries...) where they can discuss any such concerns, form a bond with other fans, and feel included. This will have absolutely no impact on the fans who already attend games or feel included, but will open a potential door for those who currently might have the above concerns.

The work to be done is the removal of homophobic chanting where possible, by educating those where such education never occurred, highlighting to individuals that certain phrases that have previously been seen as fine, would actually offend people, and by banning those who are openly homophobic in the stadium. Sadly homophobia doesn't appear to be something that can easily be entirely eradicated, as also goes for racism, but an attempt to limit it and to make everyone feel as welcome as a supporter of the club is worthwhile. 

But how would anyone know they are LGBT? This is the point. We keep hearing how unsafe they feel but no one is able to quantify it other than that they might hear some abuse which will make them feel that way. As I’ve already said if the aim is to rid football of any abuse then they’re going to fail. That’s not me condoning it or turning a blind eye, it’s reality. And if they genuinely do feel scared because someone they don’t know shouts something they don’t like aimed at someone else, sorry but they need to have thicker skin. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2021 at 12:57, Turkish said:

But how would anyone know they are LGBT? This is the point. We keep hearing how unsafe they feel but no one is able to quantify it other than that they might hear some abuse which will make them feel that way. As I’ve already said if the aim is to rid football of any abuse then they’re going to fail. That’s not me condoning it or turning a blind eye, it’s reality. And if they genuinely do feel scared because someone they don’t know shouts something they don’t like aimed at someone else, sorry but they need to have thicker skin. 

You've missed the point I'm making entirely. There are 2 things being discussed on this thread, initially it was the rainbow shirt and the mural, now it is the supporters group. I'll break it down for you so you can understand.

1. The Rainbow shirt/Mural: the aim of these are to raise awareness of the issue of homophobia in football and the club's stand. This is to educate, and aim to minimise homophobia. It may be impossible to eradicate abuse, but to limit it is still worth trying. Also, just because you think people are aware homophobia is bad, doesn't mean all do, nor do they necessarily grasp what can be deemed as homophobic. 

2. The supporters group. As I said above, this is a group where they can discuss any concerns, form a bond with other fans, and feel included. This will have absolutely no impact on the fans who already attend games or feel included, but will open a potential door for those who currently might have the above concerns. This isn't just about people literally sat in the ground (although that is a part of it) nor does it require people outside of the group to know they are LGBT. 

Your final sentence is the biggest red flag for me. To you, it is "something they don't like", but to others it is homophobic or racist abuse. 

Some of your posts on here I completely agree with (normally the football related chat) but it always seems that you have an issue with anti-racist or anti-homophobic efforts. That doesn't make you a racist or a homophobe, but I do think you might look back and wonder if you were on the right side of the debate.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

You've missed the point I'm making entirely. There are 2 things being discussed on this thread, initially it was the rainbow shirt and the mural, now it is the supporters group. I'll break it down for you so you can understand.

1. The Rainbow shirt/Mural: the aim of these are to raise awareness of the issue of homophobia in football and the club's stand. This is to educate, and aim to minimise homophobia. It may be impossible to eradicate abuse, but to limit it is still worth trying. Also, just because you think people are aware homophobia is bad, doesn't mean all do, nor do they necessarily grasp what can be deemed as homophobic. 

2. The supporters group. As I said above, this is a group where they can discuss any concerns, form a bond with other fans, and feel included. This will have absolutely no impact on the fans who already attend games or feel included, but will open a potential door for those who currently might have the above concerns. This isn't just about people literally sat in the ground (although that is a part of it) nor does it require people outside of the group to know they are LGBT. 

Your final sentence is the biggest red flag for me. To you, it is "something they don't like", but to others it is homophobic or racist abuse. 

Some of your posts on here I completely agree with (normally the football related chat) but it always seems that you have an issue with anti-racist or anti-homophobic efforts. That doesn't make you a racist or a homophobe, but I do think you might look back and wonder if you were on the right side of the debate.

Not really sure how wearing a rainbow shirt in a warm up before a match that isn't on telly "educates" anyone. How does it "minimise homophobia" 

As for the supporters group, how does joining an exclusively LGBT supporters club make them feel included? 

My final sentence is reality i'm afraid, some people say things we dont like, if you are in a crowd of 30000 people there will always be people you dont like, say things you dont agree with and behave how you wouldn't. If your aim is to change that so no one ever says anything that other people dont like then you're always going to fail, always going to be disappointed and always going be offended. It doesn't make it right, but it's reality. Sometimes it's best to just ignore it.

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not really sure how wearing a rainbow shirt in a warm up before a match that isn't on telly "educates" anyone. How does it "minimise homophobia" 

As for the supporters group, how does joining an exclusively LGBT supporters club make them feel included? 

My final sentence is reality i'm afraid, some people say things we dont like, if you are in a crowd of 30000 people there will always be people you dont like, say things you dont agree with and behave how you wouldn't. If your aim is to change that so no one ever says anything that other people dont like then you're always going to fail, always going to be disappointed and always going be offended. It doesn't make it right, but it's reality. Sometimes it's best to just ignore it.

The premier league is a global brand, as are Saints. There will be people who see those photos in countries where being LGBTQ+ is still criminalised or prejudiced and see that in some societies it is accepted. It also sparks conversations, like this one...

To your second question; joining a supporters group gives them a chance to meet others, and chat with them. In the same way you are a member of this forum to talk about Saints, they have a group where they have things in common. 

Again, there is a difference between things that people don't like, and homophobic and racist abuse.

19 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

The premier league is a global brand, as are Saints. There will be people who see those photos in countries where being LGBTQ+ is still criminalised or prejudiced and see that in some societies it is accepted. It also sparks conversations, like this one...

To your second question; joining a supporters group gives them a chance to meet others, and chat with them. In the same way you are a member of this forum to talk about Saints, they have a group where they have things in common. 

Again, there is a difference between things that people don't like, and homophobic and racist abuse.

Will they, or will they just not notice a multicoloured top the players are wearing before i match. I cant say i've ever noticed what warm up tops the players wear, if LGBTQ is criminalised in country i doubt they'd be making a point of showing the TV audience what warm up tops two mid table premier league clubs are wearing do you? In fact, i doubt in any country they'd make a song and dance about what tops two lower midtable clubs are wearing at all. 

For the supporters group i thought the aim was to be inclusive, meeting up with other LGBT people is not being inclusive, it's meeting up with other people like them, it's fine if they want to do that, but dont pretend it's about being inclusive, it's so they can meet other likeminded people. 

As for point 3, when was the last time you heard anyone shout out any racist or homophobic at St Marys? I'm not talking about silly stuff like the unfunny and unoriginal "we can see you holding hands" at Brighton, (which people got arrested for!) but genuine abuse? I'll wait.

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Will they, or will they just not notice a multicoloured top the players are wearing before i match. I cant say i've ever noticed what warm up tops the players wear, if LGBTQ is criminalised in country i doubt they'd be making a point of showing the TV audience what warm up tops two mid table premier league clubs are wearing do you? In fact, i doubt in any country they'd make a song and dance about what tops two lower midtable clubs are wearing at all. 

For the supporters group i thought the aim was to be inclusive, meeting up with other LGBT people is not being inclusive, it's meeting up with other people like them, it's fine if they want to do that, but dont pretend it's about being inclusive, it's so they can meet other likeminded people. 

As for point 3, when was the last time you heard anyone shout out any racist or homophobic at St Marys? I'm not talking about silly stuff like the unfunny and unoriginal "we can see you holding hands" at Brighton, (which people got arrested for!) but genuine abuse? I'll wait.

Well if they follow Saints on social media, or they’re watching a stream of the coverage where the warmup is shown they would see it yes. You’ve posted many times about how often Saints post about Pride so it must be noticeable…

The group is inclusive for LGBTQ+ individuals who football has historically excluded (yes I’m sure you’ve got a gay mate whose got on fine all the time but your one experience isn’t true for all. Inclusivity can be subjective on context

Thankfully I sit in the family end where I’ve not personally heard much abuse at any games I’ve gone to this season, but I’ve heard Djenepo be called some racist things in the past. Hope the wait wasn’t too long for you there x

15 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Well if they follow Saints on social media, or they’re watching a stream of the coverage where the warmup is shown they would see it yes. You’ve posted many times about how often Saints post about Pride so it must be noticeable…

The group is inclusive for LGBTQ+ individuals who football has historically excluded (yes I’m sure you’ve got a gay mate whose got on fine all the time but your one experience isn’t true for all. Inclusivity can be subjective on context

Thankfully I sit in the family end where I’ve not personally heard much abuse at any games I’ve gone to this season, but I’ve heard Djenepo be called some racist things in the past. Hope the wait wasn’t too long for you there x

Okay got it. So if there happens to be saints fans watching in Qatar and Iran who are locals watching the warm up they might pay attention to what warm up tops the players are wearing, wow, what an audience, there must be like literally tens of them! 

ok so the group isn’t about being inclusive at all, it’s about LGBT fans being able to meet together, so they can just mix with their own. So we can stop pretending it’s all about being inclusive, they don’t really want that, they just want to meet other LGBTs, that’s fine but stop making out it’s something it isn’t then. 

im glad you haven’t heard any homophobic abuse, me neither, nor for years in many different stadiums. Wonder where it all goes on then……

Edited by Turkish

is it me, or is everything done now because 'it has to be seen to'? Maybe that's fine because it does get the message across, but a lot of it (not just football) seems to be a 'box ticking' exercise and whilst I applaud those who stand up for human rights as such, football didn't give a toss 10 years ago. I just does not come across as genuine or sincere but maybe i'm looking at it from the wrong angle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

is it me, or is everything done now because 'it has to be seen to'? Maybe that's fine because it does get the message across, but a lot of it (not just football) seems to be a 'box ticking' exercise and whilst I applaud those who stand up for human rights as such, football didn't give a toss 10 years ago. I just does not come across as genuine or sincere but maybe i'm looking at it from the wrong angle. 

No it’s not just you. It’s exactly what it is. 

• 5 months later...

Considering the average is 1/10 I would expect every football club has at least 1 gay footballer in their squad in the professional male game. I am hoping that this will give them all the encouragement needed to announce their sexuality if they feel the desire to do so. If not it should not be out of fear. It is 2022 for god sake. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61467159

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Considering the average is 1/10 I would expect every football club has at least 1 gay footballer in their squad in the professional male game. I am hoping that this will give them all the encouragement needed to announce their sexuality if they feel the desire to do so. If not it should not be out of fear. It is 2022 for god sake. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61467159

Should be an average of 2 per first team squad. Who is your money on at saints? 

Not really sure why people need encouragement to announce their sexuality it’s not anyone else’s business what someones sexuality is. 

Edited by Turkish

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not really sure why people need encouragement to announce their sexuality it’s not anyone else’s business what someones sexuality is. 

I started writing a reply to this, but it's wasted energy, isn't it? The fact that as soon as I saw the news, my first thought was "Turkish is gonna be all over that"... and then I see you being the first to share it... and then I see the other posts of yours on this page (I'm not digging back into the thread)... so instead I'm just gonna wish my best to Jake. Let's hope he feels better for it and perhaps helps some other folk feel a bit better about themselves too.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I started writing a reply to this, but it's wasted energy, isn't it? The fact that as soon as I saw the news, my first thought was "Turkish is gonna be all over that"... and then I see you being the first to share it... and then I see the other posts of yours on this page (I'm not digging back into the thread)... so instead I'm just gonna wish my best to Jake. Let's hope he feels better for it and perhaps helps some other folk feel a bit better about themselves too.

So Instead of writing a post you devoted two thirds of your thread to talking about me. 🤔

glad you made the last couple of lines about wishing Jake your best, I’m sure he’s grateful. Doesn’t change the fact his sexuality isn’t really anyone else’s business, not sure why saying that is a such an issue 

If i was a gay footballer announcing it, I'd be baiting the opposition by entering the pitch carried by bare chested athletes to village people with a feather boa around my shoulders and blowing kisses at the burley opposition striker. That would probably be worth a few points a season I reckon. 

43 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Should be an average of 2 per first team squad. Who is your money on at saints? 

Because they want to come out, but feel they will not be excepted socially or even more so in the football community. He has already said how much a weight has been lifted. So that’s good for him yes? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Because they want to come out, but feel they will not be excepted socially or even more so in the football community. He has already said how much a weight has been lifted. So that’s good for him yes? 

If it makes him feel better good for him, it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s no one else’s business. Why should people be “encouraged” to come out an announce their sexuality? It’s a form of pressuring them is it not just so some people can clap along and feel better about themselves for supporting them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If it makes him feel better good for him, it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s no one else’s business. Why should people be “encouraged” to come out an announce their sexuality? It’s a form of pressuring them is it not just so some people can clap along and feel better about themselves for supporting them.

Unfortunately there are still dinosaurs that judge people on their sexuality. Some will hate him for being “one of them”, but just as bad are the people who think he’s brave or some sort of hero. He’s not the devil and he’s not exceptional, he’s just a mush who prefers cock. 

Some people need this news. They need to constantly  show others how tolerant and diverse they are (as long as you agree with their views), and this news is the next ‘thing’ to get behind.  Ukraine is wearing a bit thin, all the Facebook quality profile pictures have ran their course

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You are quite right it is not anyone else’s business. But the more people that do come out in a high profile and highest followed sport globally then it will hopefully become more ‘expectable’ and the ‘norm’. This will not happen in our lifetime, but then people will not have to ‘come out’ you have to remember that even in 2022 families and friends turn against people who come out as gay, so a long way to go before they are excepted socially and in the football community. As soon as the dinosaurs die out or somehow they change their minds then there will be no need to come out and everyone can just get along with their own business.

Fair play to the lad for having the balls to come out. I’m sure the fact that he is only 17 is a major factor as he is from a generation where being gay is not a big deal compared to the viewpoint of the gammon generations that preceded his.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

You are quite right it is not anyone else’s business. But the more people that do come out in a high profile and highest followed sport globally then it will hopefully become more ‘expectable’ and the ‘norm’. This will not happen in our lifetime, but then people will not have to ‘come out’ you have to remember that even in 2022 families and friends turn against people who come out as gay, so a long way to go before they are excepted socially and in the football community. As soon as the dinosaurs die out or somehow they change their minds then there will be no need to come out and everyone can just get along with their own business.

But being gay is acceptable now. The lad even said when he told people everyone was really supportive and he was worrying about nothing. A lot of it was in his head, we keep being told how homophobic everything is and how gay people are terrified to go to football but it all seems to be people speaking on behalf of them. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

But being gay is acceptable now. The lad even said when he told people everyone was really supportive and he was worrying about nothing. A lot of it was in his head, we keep being told how homophobic everything is and how gay people are terrified to go to football but it all seems to be people speaking on behalf of them. 

I would say it is miles better, but I would not say it is acceptable full stop. I still know of families, especially those of a religious background who turn their back on gay people. I would say it is getting acceptable across the board but lacking in certain areas of society. I would still say football is one of those circles in society. You are right though, it is not as bad (all the time) as the media build it up to be and in turn put pressure on the individual. 

17 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Fair play to the lad for having the balls to come out. I’m sure the fact that he is only 17 is a major factor as he is from a generation where being gay is not a big deal compared to the viewpoint of the gammon generations that preceded his.

Yes eventually the old generation of dinosaurs will bugger off and people can just get on with their lives. 

11 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I would say it is miles better, but I would not say it is acceptable full stop. I still know of families, especially those of a religious background who turn their back on gay people. I would say it is getting acceptable across the board but lacking in certain areas of society. I would still say football is one of those circles in society. You are right though, it is not as bad (all the time) as the media build it up to be and in turn put pressure on the individual. 

Yes there are a tiny minority of religious families who think that way. Why do you think football is one of the society circles where it’s lacking acceptability? 

a lot of Muslim players in the premier league these days, Islam forbids homosexuality. How do you deal with a situation like this if a club had a gay player?

Perhaps a sweepstake for when he hits the headlines again for receiving abuse at a match. 

If anyone does organise one though, best to do it before the fixtures are announced, otherwise everyone will want Millwall away. 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Perhaps a sweepstake for when he hits the headlines again for receiving abuse at a match. 

If anyone does organise one though, best to do it before the fixtures are announced, otherwise everyone will want Millwall away. 

Might as well document it now. Some scrote at somewhere like Millwall or Luton will do a limp wrist gesture or call him a poof and the BBC will have numerous articles about how homosexuality is rife with calls to lock up the offender and dock the club points. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Might as well document it now. Some scrote at somewhere like Millwall or Luton will do a limp wrist gesture or call him a poof and the BBC will have numerous articles about how homosexuality is rife with calls to lock up the offender and dock the club points. 

Exactly what will happen along with a load of hand wringing about from fans on forums about how football has returned to the dark ages, how depressing it all is and how we need to do more. 

Edited by Turkish

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly what will happen along with a load of hand wringing about from fans on forums about how football has returned to the dark ages, how depressing it all is and how we need to do more. 

It's already happened today for racism with some racist abuse showing "hate is still alive and well". Was anyone under some illusion that hate had disappeared? What's with the obsession of trying to stop every single instance of something bad happening? Expecting all racism or homophobia to become extinct is totally unrealistic and will never be achieved. 

Screenshot_20220516-220356_Chrome.jpg

Expecting all racism or homophobia to become extinct is totally unrealistic and will never be achieved. 

---------------------------

Expecting all booing to be homophobia or be racism seems strange to me. Could it possibly be that people are maybe, perhaps, just booing?

Does there need to be a agenda? Sorry, let me rephrase that. Does there always need to be a agenda? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Expecting all racism or homophobia to become extinct is totally unrealistic and will never be achieved. 

---------------------------

Expecting all booing to be homophobia or be racism seems strange to me. Could it possibly be that people are maybe, perhaps, just booing?

Does there need to be a agenda? Sorry, let me rephrase that. Does there always need to be a agenda? 

You mean people will be booing for no reason and won't even know themselves why it's happening?

Sounds a bit odd.

Whenever I cheer or boo I'm usually aware, and I tend to have a reason for said action.

Ignoring something you don't support is one thing, making the effort to boo it is a clear statement.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Get using the grass line mate