Saints Rainbow Shirt

miserableoldgit

50 minutes ago, whelk said:

You, as am I, are of a generation where it was mocked and many gay people were terrified of coming out. Why and when do you think that changed? Was it messaging that you once found acceptable eroding hateful prejudices that you now think isn’t needed? Or do you think it just miraculously happened?

I do get the virtual signal annoyance but it all contributes to people seeing that football (where no player has yet come out - a statistical anomaly) supporting Pride and tolerance and that helps change societies views. I include myself in that as well.

I can’t speak for other but for me the moment I realised it was okay to be gay was when I saw Diego Costa wearing rainbow laces 

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I can’t speak for other but for me the moment I realised it was okay to be gay was when I saw Diego Costa wearing rainbow laces 

So it worked well then. Let’s hope the the laces win over a few similarly unenlightened.

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

So it worked well then. Let’s hope the the laces win over a few similarly unenlightened.

I think some of the issue I have personally is that some symbols like certain versions of the rainbow flag are actually quite controversial and political. That means it's not just a case of waving everything through for the sake of diversity, plenty of people are 100% on board with acceptance for people and freedom to live without abuse but are vehemently opposed to the other bits that go with some of it. Stonewall for example are now opposed by their founder and their insidious nature for some of their modern activities have been revealed as their champions program is falling apart. 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Do we need weekly reminders 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Yeah but it only lasted for a few days. I need these frequent reminders as I end up defaulting to hating LGBTs again. They are almost like an anti depressant that I need regularly the keep the inclusivity levels topped up. 

I was disappointed to hear a group of West Ham fans chanting homophobic slurs in a pub after the game on Saturday (about Chelsea allegedly being rent boys, everywhere they go).

Clearly more work needs to be done to make such stuff culturally unacceptable.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, StDunko said:

I was disappointed to hear a group of West Ham fans chanting homophobic slurs in a pub after the game on Saturday (about Chelsea allegedly being rent boys, everywhere they go).

Clearly more work needs to be done to make such stuff culturally unacceptable.

I think you’ll find that this isn’t a homophobic chant. The originals of the chant refer back to the fact that Stamford bridge was originally an athletics stadium and also offered to Fulham before Chelsea took over the rental of The stadium. Hence the originals of the stadium refer back to the time Chelsea were tenants in a stadium not offered to them not built for football. Still let’s not let the facts get in the way of some handwringing 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I think you’ll find that this isn’t a homophobic chant. The originals of the chant refer back to the fact that Stamford bridge was originally an athletics stadium and also offered to Fulham before Chelsea took over the rental of The stadium. Hence the originals of the stadium refer back to the time Chelsea were tenants in a stadium not offered to them not built for football. Still let’s not let the facts get in the way of some handwringing 

And you actually believe that do you? :mcinnes:

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Alanh said:

Two VERY reliable sources. A student in califronia and an LGBT Norwich fan who thinks it was started by a Chelsea headhunter :lol: 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cloggy saint said:

Are these sources any less credible than you? 

Yes. I forgot the bit where the Norwich fan said "there was probably an expose in the Sun" :lol:

Also here other comment on "wouldn't it be great if all Chelsea fans were gay" isn't very inclusive!

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Prove me wrong

I think the emphasis should probably be on you to prove you are right.  I had a quick look and couldn't find anything to back up your interpretation of the origin.  I did stumble on several different derivations for the chant but they were all broadly homophobic.  I'd be happy for your story to have substance

3 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I think the emphasis should probably be on you to prove you are right.  I had a quick look and couldn't find anything to back up your interpretation of the origin.  I did stumble on several different derivations for the chant but they were all broadly homophobic.  I'd be happy for your story to have substance

Maybe you need to do some more research than just take the first thing you read as face value.  It may have been jumped on as a homophobic chant but the origins stem from something different. I remember Wimbledon and Charlton fans also faced similar abuse when they were homeless.

Edited by Turkish

I think I know how this one goes.  Someone offer Turkish evidence, he doesn't accept it, ridicules it, picks up on tiny points to diminish it's value and then deflects the conversation rather than prove his version of events / opinion.  If he does find some evidence he will hold that above all others as unequivocal proof.

The bit about Stamford Bridge initially being an athletics stadium and offered to Fulham is right - https://www.chelseafc.com/en/history/stadium-history - but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a link between that and the song.

Edited by Alanh
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Maybe you need to do some more research than just take the first thing you read as face value.  It may have been jumped on as a homophobic chant but the origins stem from something different. I remember Wimbledon and Charlton fans also faced similar abuse when they were homeless.

I am sure I could but I am not so bothered.  I was intrigued more than anything because I had just assumed the other interpretation.  I kind of hoped you would be able to produce some sort of evidence to back up your story, which otherwise sounds like it belongs in Viz.  And I know others are having a pop at you about this but please don't assume I am.

If you're right I'm surprised we didn't sing it ourselves when Brighton were at the Withdean.

What is the chant? Being a wise old fucker myself I will be able to provide the definitive answer.

The original chant was to the tune of 

once in royal David’s city 

it went

once in England’s capital city

stood a lonely athletics track 

there a team from west london

Paid the rent to take it back

with the poor and meek and lowly

chelseas rents boys played there only 

but it’s been shortened over the years to just Chelsea rent boys an now the wokies have decided it’s offensive 🙄

Edited by Turkish

40 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I really don't know why I'm giving you the oxygen that you clearly crave, but do you think the people using this chant today are having a dig because Chelsea used to rent their ground nearly 120 years ago?

You have to ask yourself why he is going through mental gymnastics to come up with an absurd reason to just to excuse some obvious homophobia.  

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

49 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I really don't know why I'm giving you the oxygen that you clearly crave, but do you think the people using this chant today are having a dig because Chelsea used to rent their ground nearly 120 years ago?

Saints and Norwich both sing songs from over 100 years ago, so it's possible.

16 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

You have to ask yourself why he is going through mental gymnastics to come up with an absurd reason to just to excuse some obvious homophobia.  

I'm bit of an expert on rent boys cos of my friend and tbh I think the offensive part of "rent boy" is the prostitution angle. The fact that the majority of my clients, I mean my friend's clients, are male is purely incidental and I'm not at all shamed by that, and neither is my friend.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bearsy said:

I'm bit of an expert on rent boys cos of my friend and tbh I think the offensive part of "rent boy" is the prostitution angle. The fact that the majority of my clients, I mean my friend's clients, are male is purely incidental and I'm not at all shamed by that, and neither is my friend.

I’ve missed you Brian.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alanh said:

I think I know how this one goes.  Someone offer Turkish evidence, he doesn't accept it, ridicules it, picks up on tiny points to diminish it's value and then deflects the conversation rather than prove his version of events / opinion.  If he does find some evidence he will hold that above all others as unequivocal proof.

The bit about Stamford Bridge initially being an athletics stadium and offered to Fulham is right - https://www.chelseafc.com/en/history/stadium-history - but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a link between that and the song.

So If I got that bit right why don’t you believe the rest of it? Not part of the acceptable narrative I guess. It offensive because someone decided it is

i also didn’t mention that the chant started again in the 80s as Ken bates bought and owned the stadium and Chelsea were again renting it from him, hence Chelsea rent boys. 

not sure Why you would think Chelsea would post on their history oftheir stadium history page that in latter years other fans would use it as a means to mock them 🙄

Edited by Turkish

54 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Bearsy, who allowed _you_ back?!?  Did you know there have been sequels to Fifty Shades..? No, I don't why know either.

Hi Sue! Nah, I'm just popping by. Steve Grant asked me as a personal favour. He's worried saintsweb is "getting too high brow".

I can't afford to get dragged back in though. I'm v.business bear nowadays. No time for lols or for literary researches! It's interest for retired posters to pop by every now and again though to check in on all the old arguments 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/08/2021 at 17:29, East Kent Saint said:

No just posters falling for typical Turkish trolling, you can see it on most threads , don’t feed the troll seems to be something we all keep forgetting.

I’m just reading back through this thread and yep, there sure is a theme with of the posters. 

Maybe someone is lost in their wardrobe. 

Hi everyone! 

Did you know that until now Saints were the only top division team in English football without an official LGBT+ Supporters Network?

Well, with the help of Pride in Football, Southampton FC, and a few other groups, that's no longer the case. We're aiming to soft-launch with the club as an official supporters group later on in the year with the Rainbow Laces match, but in the mean time, we're really keen to hear from fellow fans who want to work with the club to make matchday experiences safer and more enjoyable for LGBT+ fans, as well as meet fellow LGBT+ fans outside of matchdays at socials and such like. 

So if you're an LGBT+ Saints fan, or an ally, then pop on over to Twitter and give the Twitter page a follow - and do say hi!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, WFTJM89 said:

Hi everyone! 

Did you know that until now Saints were the only top division team in English football without an official LGBT+ Supporters Network?

Well, with the help of Pride in Football, Southampton FC, and a few other groups, that's no longer the case. We're aiming to soft-launch with the club as an official supporters group later on in the year with the Rainbow Laces match, but in the mean time, we're really keen to hear from fellow fans who want to work with the club to make matchday experiences safer and more enjoyable for LGBT+ fans, as well as meet fellow LGBT+ fans outside of matchdays at socials and such like. 

So if you're an LGBT+ Saints fan, or an ally, then pop on over to Twitter and give the Twitter page a follow - and do say hi!

Great news! Thanks for coming on here and letting us know.

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2021 at 12:04, hypochondriac said:

I think some of the issue I have personally is that some symbols like certain versions of the rainbow flag are actually quite controversial and political. 

Seriously! Do you realise what a pathetic snowflake you sound like, getting all upset over some gay people waving a rainbow flag. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not upset in the slightest. I haven't given it a second thought after writing this post. Odd that you would think I am. 

he does that. He said i was "banging on about the knee" despite not posting on it for nearly a month and only today because a player has come out and said about it. Then he likes to pretend you're getting upset about it or the latest saying "mental gymnastics". I guess when you just follow what you are told to think you're not used to understanding how others might reason on things or respond.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Odd? Probably based on your general posting history.

Hi Sue thanks for taking an interest. Making a small comment about certain forms of the rainbow flag being political (which it is) in one larger post isn't an example of being "so upset." I'm interested in the topic and will discuss it if the topic come up in order to express my opinions but I'm not upset in the slightest. Why would I be? 

Edited by hypochondriac

I noticed they had on the screens yesterday ‘No to Biphobia’ . Genuinely had never heard of that - presumably if you are biphobic you must also be homophobic? Or do they just hate the indecisiveness?

Honestly I think companies and organisations just make this shit up these days, all in the race to be first in the Oppression Olympics and win as many victimised virtue signalling points as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

I noticed they had on the screens yesterday ‘No to Biphobia’ . Genuinely had never heard of that - presumably if you are biphobic you must also be homophobic? Or do they just hate the indecisiveness?

I absolutely love the gays it's just the bisexuals I can't stand. It's just greedy. 

2 hours ago, whelk said:

It sounds like something you’d see an optician about.

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Honestly I think companies and organisations just make this shit up these days, all in the race to be first in the Oppression Olympics and win as many victimised virtue signalling points as possible.

I think we must work with the same PR agency as Marcus Rashford.