Saints Rainbow Shirt

miserableoldgit

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

And what’s that got to do with Southampton FC?

A small, provincial club (whose close reflection of the local area is generally regarded as its most unique aspect) has chosen to note a large event that's occurring within the city today.

Whoop de doo.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ant said:

A small, provincial club (whose close reflection of the local area is generally regarded as its most unique aspect) has chosen to note a large event that's occurring within the city today.

Whoop de doo.

So nothing then

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why am I not allowed to ask the question?

I just find it interesting that someone who purports to just be interested in people being free to say what they want without it being policed (and apologies if I'm mis-characterising your views) seems to be the first to question the motives of anything that might be construed as woke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, manzo said:

I just find it interesting that someone who purports to just be interested in people being free to say what they want without it being policed (and apologies if I'm mis-characterising your views) seems to be the first to question the motives of anything that might be construed as woke.

Anything Black or Gay rights and certain posters can't help themselves. It's a long running pattern. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Isn't there a LGBT month? Any reason the march isn't planned for that period? Seems a bit inefficient otherwise. 

Don’t know if it is a bank holiday thing. Can’t have too much gayness though

4 hours ago, manzo said:

I asked a simple question, is it another LBGT day and it seems to have triggered you, why is that?

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I asked a simple question, is it another LBGT day and it seems to have triggered you, why is that?

6 comments today on this thread and none on the thread of the actual football match we played today.

And to think someone had the nerve to call you a troll …

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Chewy said:

6 comments today on this thread and none on the thread of the actual football match we played today.

And to think someone had the nerve to call you a troll …

If people were able to answer a simple question without getting upset then there wouldn’t have been a need for them

• Haha 1

On 28/08/2021 at 18:20, Turkish said:

I also asked a simple question, and it seems to have triggered you, so what's your point?

Also, when did asking a question count as being triggered? What do you even mean by triggered?

8 minutes ago, manzo said:

I also asked a simple question, and it seems to have triggered you, so what's your point?

Also, when did asking a question count as being triggered? What do you even mean by triggered?

Surely if you oppose something woke then it would make sense to question the motives of a supposedly woke campaign? 

1 hour ago, manzo said:

Yeah I also asked a simple question  and no one could answer it, including you who asked if it offended me. Then appear to have got very upset about it all. So I’ll help you by answering your question, no it doesn’t offend me. Maybe you could extend me the same courtesy and answer mine, without getting all stroppy. It really isn’t that difficult to do.

28 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

No just posters falling for typical Turkish trolling, you can see it on most threads , don’t feed the troll seems to be something we all keep forgetting.

If anyone had answered the original question all this could have been avoided. Not my fault people have got themselves at it because the relevance of it was dared to be questioned 

I try to stay away from political threads on football forums because it reminds me of how far removed I am from a lot of the fanbase. Fuck knows why I made the mistake of venturing into this one.

Regarding the shirt, I'd love for these kinds of gestures to be redundant, but until we no longer hear homophobic language from the stands and players can be honest about their sexual orientation without fear, they remain necessary. We still sing about Graeme Le Saux "taking it up the rear" because he had the audacity to do crazy things like 'read books' and 'show interest in the arts'. The horror.

That an open show of support for gay rights is seen as "virtue signalling" when support of causes such as the poppy is not is very telling. A rainbow shirt does not effect me, or you, or the majority of us in any way whatsoever, but to a few folk it'll mean the world.

It's very easy to assert that homophobia (or racism, for that matter) is not a problem when you're a white male. I might suggest that if you do have a problem with it, then perhaps the real problem is not the one you think.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

42 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I try to stay away from political threads on football forums because it reminds me of how far removed I am from a lot of the fanbase. Fuck knows why I made the mistake of venturing into this one.

Regarding the shirt, I'd love for these kinds of gestures to be redundant, but until we no longer hear homophobic language from the stands and players can be honest about their sexual orientation without fear, they remain necessary. We still sing about Graeme Le Saux "taking it up the rear" because he had the audacity to do crazy things like 'read books' and 'show interest in the arts'. The horror.

That an open show of support for gay rights is seen as "virtue signalling" when support of causes such as the poppy is not is very telling. A rainbow shirt does not effect me, or you, or the majority of us in any way whatsoever, but to a few folk it'll mean the world.

It's very easy to assert that homophobia (or racism, for that matter) is not a problem when you're a white male. I might suggest that if you do have a problem with it, then perhaps the real problem is not the one you think.

Personally I found it interesting that the only person who has publicly announced themselves as gay on this thread actually thought the whole rainbow shirt thing was incredibly cringe. I'm also interested to know how you can ascertain someone's skin colour by what they post on a forum. That seems pretty racist to me. 

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Just out of interest what do you make of straight white people applauding how amazing it all is with these t-shirts and signs? If a straight white person cannot possibly understand the struggles of LBGTs then surely the same rule applies to all the straight people applauding as it does to those who question it? How can they be so better qualified on the struggles of LGBTs than someone who isn’t fully behind it?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

They should make the rainbow shirt our permanent home kit and the rainbow police cars a permanent fixture too. If for nothing else just to keep Turkish and his fellow oafs in a constant triggered state. Such a little snowflake getting his knickers in a twist over some flashy colours. 

Right winger insecurity makes for cracking entertainment on a Monday morning.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 13:33, Wurzel said:

Just a heads up. Although it has nothing with the club either, expect to see a Santa hat perched at a jaunty angle on the club crest around mid-December.

Well if you apply that logic then they need to have santa warm up tops, santa laces, santa arm bands, santa training tops and regularly affirm our support for santa. Santa just wants to be loved like everyone else.  

On 30/08/2021 at 21:56, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

My god, I'm black and Im gay, I should have read the signs!

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Just in case you had forgotten another reminder 

A2DC303A-7057-4EAA-B790-D14C2A6C145B.jpeg

Is St Mary's a hotbed of homophobia? You'd have thought it was a no go zone patrolled by the Taliban the way the club are going on about it. 

21 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

Anything Black or Gay rights and certain posters can't help themselves. It's a long running pattern.

Makes you wonder why they care. Absolute worse case scenario it does nothing for or to them and they can just ignore it like they likely do most of the saints tweets.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 08/09/2021 at 17:48, JRM said:

Is St Mary's a hotbed of homophobia? You'd have thought it was a no go zone patrolled by the Taliban the way the club are going on about it. 

You’d certainly think so wouldn’t you. I guess we just aren’t aware of it as it doesn’t impact us. With the season not even a month old we’ve had the rainbow shirts, the changing of the badge a few weeks ago to have a rainbow line and now this gentle reminder. Along with the taking of the knee I for one am grateful to the club for making us aware of just how racism and homophobia is everywhere and not welcome at saints

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You’d certainly think so wouldn’t you. I guess we just aren’t aware of it as it doesn’t impact us. With the season not even a month old we’ve had the rainbow shirts, the changing of the badge a few weeks ago to have a rainbow line and now this gentle reminder. Along with the taking of the knee I for one am grateful to the club for making us aware of just how racism and homophobia is everywhere and not welcome at saints

You, as am I, are of a generation where it was mocked and many gay people were terrified of coming out. Why and when do you think that changed? Was it messaging that you once found acceptable eroding hateful prejudices that you now think isn’t needed? Or do you think it just miraculously happened?

I do get the virtual signal annoyance but it all contributes to people seeing that football (where no player has yet come out - a statistical anomaly) supporting Pride and tolerance and that helps change societies views. I include myself in that as well.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2021 at 17:48, JRM said:

I don’t think you really understand how marketing works

26 minutes ago, whelk said:

You, as am I, are of a generation where it was mocked and many gay people were terrified of coming out. Why and when do you think that changed? Was it messaging that you once found acceptable eroding hateful prejudices that you now think isn’t needed? Or do you think it just miraculously happened?

I do get the virtual signal annoyance but it all contributes to people seeing that football (where no player has yet come out - a statistical anomaly) supporting Pride and tolerance and that helps change societies views. I include myself in that as well.

You wouldn't think it needed explaining.