"MP Sir David Amess stabbed multiple times in incident at constituency surgery"

trousers

I got to know David Amess pretty well after he won his Southend seat in 1983 - probably met him three or four times a year until the late eighties.  Never liked his politics - he was a committed Eurosceptic even then - but he was an immensely amiable man who was happy to hear strongly held views different to his, and to discuss them at length.  He was also almost totally lacking in conventional political ambition - for him, winning his seat was like winning the lottery, and he revelled in the mundane and time-consuming work of being a constituency MP.

He wasn't unique - there are a number of MPs in the Commons quite like him in temperament and calling, which makes recently heard the 'scum' label all the worse.  But a talent for being genuinely nice - and I mean Ted Lasso-level nice - was something he clearly never lost. 

What a depressing day.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Perhaps the Labour MPs who wear "Tory Scum" badges should shoulder some responsibility. 

Total bullshit. This is the problem as this is sort of reaction to any tragedy these days, let’s pile on someone else as if it is Raynor’s fault.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

Total bullshit. This is the problem as this is sort of reaction to any tragedy these days, let’s pile on someone else as if it is Raynor’s fault.

Obviously it's not her fault, but if you dehumanise a group of people it's more likely that group will receive violence against them.  This is why we report hate crime these days and aren't allowed to call people who belong to groups derogatory names.  She should reconsider the language she uses.  

3 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Obviously it's not her fault, but if you dehumanise a group of people it's more likely that group will receive violence against them.  This is why we report hate crime these days and aren't allowed to call people who belong to groups derogatory names.  She should reconsider the language she uses.  

Obviously aggressive rhetoric doesn’t help tolerance of any opposing views. No simple solution as such hostility generally- just look at the anti vaxxers posts about Jeremy Vine. Looked like half of them genuinely wanted to see him in a noose for trusting science.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Apparently the suspect is a foreign national.  Perhaps not a simple Tory-hate crime then.  Probably best not to speculate too much but you know, human nature and all that. 

Probably just another individual with mental problems. 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Also now being led by anti terrorist police

Standard practice until they 100 per cent rule out that the motivation isn’t terrorism if that makes sense.

I didn’t meet him but heard from people who did that even if his politics weren’t yours that he was one of the most generous and kind MPs. The devastation and emotion expressed on all sides from neighbouring Essex MPs to people on the Labour left is testament. Worryingly, that’s 4 attacks and three fatalities since 2000 affecting all three main parties, 3 of them since 2010. Even worse, ITN reported earlier that there has been several people jailed for plotting attacks on MPs in recent years but the MPs and media were asked not to speak publicly so as not to encourage more repeats of today and Jo Cox.

Rhetoric has to calm down in general and once we know more about who the arrested suspect is, we will see if social media played a role in radicalising. The only thing I can think of is being a former member of Friends of Israel membership that may have inspired a loon, if that was the case plenty of MPs in both main parties will be worried. No excuses at all, whatever the killer was thinking.

As Verbal said, a very depressing day for this country even by recent standards. Thoughts with Sir David’s family and friends. 

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Given that the last MP killed was used to further certain political aims in an absolutely shocking way, I hope that people avoid that temptation with this whoever the identity of the killer is. 

Quite sad that people would use a tragedy to push their political agenda, sadly some will..

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Maybe it is time to give MP’s armed police guards when they are in their surgeries in future. Dreadful news. Too many nut jobs on the streets.

maybe, people should be protected from Somalian/Islamic terrorists instead?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, whelk said:

Obviously aggressive rhetoric doesn’t help tolerance of any opposing views. No simple solution as such hostility generally- just look at the anti vaxxers posts about Jeremy Vine. Looked like half of them genuinely wanted to see him in a noose for trusting science.

It's a separate point and not really anything to do with this case, but I don't see why anyone has to refer to someone else as scum for simply being involved with a different mainstream political party from their own. I think supporters of Corbyn are ridiculous and he was potentially dangerous had he got into power but I don't doubt that they are largely kind people doing what they think is best. For some reason, some people on the left think it's acceptable to call their political opponents things like scum among other insults yet think they are justified in doing so. No side should be describing their opponents in such terms, it does add to an atmosphere where people from both sides feel justified in hurling abuse or worse at a politician because they disagree with their views. Diane Abbott is an awful politician with some extreme views that I would never agree with bit she deserves to go about her business free from extreme abuse just like everyone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

maybe, people should be protected from Somalian/Islamic terrorists instead?

Maybe women should be protected from men? Maybe we should all just stay home? What a stupid comment, even by your low standards Delldays. How would your plan have saved the life of Jo Cox?

Edited by sadoldgit
Add

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

It's a separate point and not really anything to do with this case, but I don't see why anyone has to refer to someone else as scum for simply being involved with a different mainstream political party from their own. I think supporters of Corbyn are ridiculous and he was potentially dangerous had he got into power but I don't doubt that they are largely kind people doing what they think is best. For some reason, some people on the left think it's acceptable to call their political opponents things like scum among other insults yet think they are justified in doing so. No side should be describing their opponents in such terms, it does add to an atmosphere where people from both sides feel justified in hurling abuse or worse at a politician because they disagree with their views. Diane Abbott is an awful politician with some extreme views that I would never agree with bit she deserves to go about her business free from extreme abuse just like everyone else. 

I totally agree that someone in the shadow cabinet shouldn't be using the word scum about political opponents. It's preaches to the choir and turns off the others, totally counter productive. Call out policies not names.

Not a Corbyn fan but isn't it a bit of a leap in to the conspiracy world to call a leader of a mainstream party dangerous.

10 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I totally agree that someone in the shadow cabinet shouldn't be using the word scum about political opponents. It's preaches to the choir and turns off the others, totally counter productive. Call out policies not names.

Not a Corbyn fan but isn't it a bit of a leap in to the conspiracy world to call a leader of a mainstream party dangerous.

It's a side point but I don't have any problem with someone discussing someone's ideas and whether they would have dangerous outcomes. That's not really the same as personal attacks or calling someone scum for example. 

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Maybe women should be protected from men? Maybe we should all just stay home? What a stupid comment, even by your low standards Delldays. How would your plan have saved the life of Jo Cox?

Some Women aren’t safe from men at home either. What a stupid comment even by your low standards Soggy.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

What do you think about the stats I posted above? It suggests that offences of this nature are vastly disproportionately committed by Asian or self identified as Muslim. 

Not surprised to see these stats at all. They come here for a better life and then wish to kill us and we have to pay to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives.

58 minutes ago, rooney said:

Not surprised to see these stats at all. They come here for a better life and then wish to kill us and we have to pay to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives.

Important to point out it's still a minority, albeit a minority that is vastly bigger than from other groups. It's clear there's an issue but political correctness or apologism means it won't be addressed. 

Edited by hypochondriac

On 17/10/2021 at 10:17, whelk said:

Classic SOG

It’s a fair point though. Delldays didn’t kick off when Jo Cox was killed by a white supremacist but when I suggested that MPs (all of them) be given armed guards he comes back with his usual anti foreigner jibe. He only seems to have a problem with specific types of murderers.

On 18/10/2021 at 09:41, hypochondriac said:

Important to point out it's still a minority, albeit a minority that is vastly bigger than from other groups. It's clear there's an issue but political correctness or apologism means it won't be addressed. 

There is an issue with religious mentalists and fascists. The authorities attempt to deal with it through anti-terrorist agencies and the Prevent program. But its very difficult.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

It’s a fair point though. Delldays didn’t kick off when Jo Cox was killed by a white supremacist but when I suggested that MPs (all of them) be given armed guards he comes back with his usual anti foreigner jibe. He only seems to have a problem with specific types of murderers.

Classic SOG

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

So do you…

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

There is an issue with religious mentalists and fascists. The authorities attempt to deal with it through anti-terrorist agencies and the Prevent program. But its very difficult.

Yes but the point is that the religious mentalists are overwhelmingly from one religion according to the stats. 

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I see you've ignored the stats I posted above.