Staplewood upgrade

Matthew Le God

• Matthew Le God changed the title to Further investment into Staplewood submitted by the club to the New Forest council planning department
54 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Still very much in the wrong place and should be located in the winchester M3 corridor.

45 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Why?

I agree, too late now, but if they could have found a location around Winchester, there would be more chance of attracting players that want to be nearer to London. They could live top end of M3 and be in the capital or down for training in less than half hour. Cost of land may have scuppered that but would have got a few bob for the Staplewood site if permitted for housing.

5 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Are you honestly telling me that because our training ground is in the New Forest that we are missing out on players? 

Clearly not entirely but the attraction of the bright lights of London rather than the sedate surroundings of the New Forest probably appeals more to young guys with stupid amounts of money to burn, if there's a choice.

Edited by alehouseboys

4 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Clearly not entirely but the attraction of the bright lights of London rather than the sedate surroundings of the New Forest probably appeals more to young guys with stupid amounts of money to burn, if there's a choice.

Ok. Not sure I’d want these young guns you speak of. Young players that want to train to get better and improve - yes. Ones that are going to decide not to join a club with proven credentials of improving young players because the training ground is to far from London - no thanks.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Ok. Not sure I’d want these young guns you speak of. Young players that want to train to get better and improve - yes. Ones that are going to decide not to join a club with proven credentials of improving young players because the training ground is to far from London - no thanks.

Papa Waigo was honest enough to admit that his agent sold the move to Southampton by claiming it was in London, and I expect he won't be the last to be persuaded in such a manner. If it gets us a decent player, then I won't turn my nose up at that.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Half of Man City's squad have a place in London, the location of our training ground is not going to be a problem for these millionaires. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Brighton built their training facility in the last 5 years, not on legacy land or anything but on land they recently acquired. They didn't stick it half way up the M23 but just along the coast in Lancing. This need to be near London might not be a thing afterall. 

Or the city of Brighton has a lot more to offer than Southampton. Just saying. 

Edited by notnowcato

15 hours ago, JRM said:

It doesn't really. 

It does really. Better restaurants, better bars, a beach, beautiful countryside, more and better culture, architecture, infrastructure. List goes on I'm afraid. Still wouldn't be crucial in attracting players though. It's money, mainly, and the team.

18 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Totton by-pass, M271, M27, M3 to Winchester...............   10 mins at the most in their motors........ make that 5! 

Staplewood is an idyllic location to work every day, far from prying eyes and the madding crowd.

None of this is relevant to players deciding clubs. It’ll come down to money, family ties and at a push, the nearest large city. Debating whether Southampton is a better city than Stoke on Trent is inconsequential when the players all just jump in a limo after the game and head off to London or Manchester. I doubt the Costa at Rownhams services has ever been mentioned in any contract negotiations.

25 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Totton by-pass, M271, M27, M3 to Winchester...............   10 mins at the most in their motors........ make that 5! 

Staplewood is an idyllic location to work every day, far from prying eyes and the madding crowd.

I think something is getting lost in translation here - it’s not about the hardship for players living around Winchester getting to training at Marchwood.

It was just suggested that a training ground around Winch/M3 may have been better for attracting (some) players that would prefer to live nearer London. They could live in leafy Surrey/North Hants (like many London club players) making it easy to shoot 40 miles or so down the motorway to train but still be back and then a quick jaunt into the capital for the afternoon/evening to spend their ‘hard-earned’.

22 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Why?

This is something Rupert Lowe seriously considered and even looked at some farms on the M3 corrider in the early 00s. He said to me that the club was missing out on signing certain players, not because of wages, but because they wanted to live in london or Manchester etc  Its a viable point that many players live north of southampton and that if the club had a training ground placed Chandlers ford and upwards, they could attract players that would live in surrey say and still have their London playground.

I also think because staplewood is so narrow the layout is very tight and the main building isnt really designed well.  But now weve spent a good £50million on the whole thing its not going to be moving anywhere else. 

Edited by SaintsLoyal
typo

6 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

This is something Rupert Lowe seriously considered and even looked at some farms on the M3 corrider in the early 00s. He said to me that the club was missing out on signing certain players, not because of wages, but because they wanted to live in london or Manchester etc  Its a viable point that many players live north of southampton and that if the club had a training ground placed Chandlers ford and upwards, they could attract players that would live in surrey say and still have their London playground.

Staplewood to Chandlers Ford is a circa 20 minute journey, it is hardly a deal breaker.

3 hours ago, DT said:

It does really. Better restaurants, better bars, a beach, beautiful countryside, more and better culture, architecture, infrastructure. List goes on I'm afraid. Still wouldn't be crucial in attracting players though. It's money, mainly, and the team.

Im not saying its a bad place, but nothing special. Beach is shit, not even sandy. 

Beautiful countryside? It's the same as here, once you leave the city we've got the New Forest and South downs. 

I've got family who live in Brighton, they avoid town in summer, half of Croydon turn up on their days out. 

Plenty of rough areas and drug problems  in Brighton as well. Green party MP explains a lot about the people that live there think they're being "alternative" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

I think something is getting lost in translation here - it’s not about the hardship for players living around Winchester getting to training at Marchwood.

It was just suggested that a training ground around Winch/M3 may have been better for attracting (some) players that would prefer to live nearer London. They could live in leafy Surrey/North Hants (like many London club players) making it easy to shoot 40 miles or so down the motorway to train but still be back and then a quick jaunt into the capital for the afternoon/evening to spend their ‘hard-earned’.

Quite a few of them are moving to Ascot area anyway, so I’ve heard. Macca loves that way already. 60 mins on the motorway…who cares…

20 hours ago, JRM said:

It doesn't really. 

Yes it does.

I'm Southampton born and bred and if I could afford it, I'd take Brighton all day long.

In fact, if it wasn't for the obvious family, friends, work and the same for my girlfriend, I wouldn't stay in Southampton.

It's drab and boring.

Shopping is arguably the worst in the country and people are complete fucking pricks here.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Yes it does.

I'm Southampton born and bred and if I could afford it, I'd take Brighton all day long.

In fact, if it wasn't for the obvious family, friends, work and the same for my girlfriend, I wouldn't stay in Southampton.

It's drab and boring.

Shopping is arguably the worst in the country and people are complete fucking pricks here.

You don’t say.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How have you worked that out? A city with West Quay and a large high street is poorer for shopping than a small town or village? 🤔

I'm not comparing it to a small town or village am I?

Comparing Southampton with Brighton for example for shopping, then yes. Brighton is far far better.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Shopping is arguably the worst in the country 

35 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I'm not comparing it to a small town or village am I?

Comparing Southampton with Brighton for example for shopping, then yes. Brighton is far far better.

Nonsense, you said it was 'arguably the worst in the country'. That is more than just doing a straight comparison with Brighton. 

Thus thread has gone off course somewhat! 😁

Distraction Interruption GIF by StickerGiant

Edited by Matthew Le God

6 hours ago, DT said:

" Culture", is that the PC way to descibe it these days ?

Staplewood being where it is gives a great location for the young kids who will hopefully become the stars of tomorrow 

Staplewood is also Markus’ legacy 

All the ideas of needing a training campus nearer to London, maybe the club should leave St Mary’s & build a new ground just north of Basingstoke or just outside of Cheshire 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

All the ideas of needing a training campus nearer to London, maybe the club should leave St Mary’s & build a new ground just north of Basingstoke or just outside of Cheshire 

Once we're free of the shackles of being in Southampton, why settle down? We could have bespoke pop up ground and training facilities, ever ready to maximise our pulling power for the most important things in football for players: seemingly access to good food, night life and not too far from a nice home. Southampton Wanderers has a lovely ring to it. 🙂