COVID and Football (Merged)

Chris cooper

44 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

From what i have read the unvaccinated are more likely to spread for longer based on viral load and the the extended time  /severity of the symptoms. However it was also raised that those with more symptoms are likely to self isolate earlier preventing spread. From an anecdotal perspective I am DJ and then caught covid. I had barely any symptoms other than thinking I had hayfever walking around potentially spreading it until my daughter tested positive after a temperature.

it can be argued both ways and in my opinion until they produce an actual vaccine that prevents disease rather than mask symptoms the whole "less transmission" argument is pointless.

You can be asymptomatic wether you are vaccinated or not, that why it is important to take these measures to stop the spread.

The thing that winds me up most about these anti-vax fuck-wits is that they don't trust doctors or medical science when it comes to doing something to help the community, yet when they are gasping for breath because they have caught it it's medical science and doctors they go crying to, not google.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The gullible are thos who fear the vaccine.

Your problem is you assume everyone is as terrified of covid as you are. They are not.  You cannot understand or contemplate alternative points of view from that stand point. Whatever people's reasons are stop being a fascist trying to force medication on individuals and threatening them with punishments and leave them alone. Thank you.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wild-saint said:

From what i have read the unvaccinated are more likely to spread for longer based on viral load and the the extended time  /severity of the symptoms. However it was also raised that those with more symptoms are likely to self isolate earlier preventing spread. From an anecdotal perspective I am DJ and then caught covid. I had barely any symptoms other than thinking I had hayfever walking around potentially spreading it until my daughter tested positive after a temperature.

it can be argued both ways and in my opinion until they produce an actual vaccine that prevents disease rather than mask symptoms the whole "less transmission" argument is pointless.

A vaccine that stops transmission probably needs to be intranasal administered so that it induces antibodies in the mucous membranes of the sinus.

Edited by waylander
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JRM said:

Your problem is you assume everyone is as terrified of covid as you are. They are not.  You cannot understand or contemplate alternative points of view from that stand point. Whatever people's reasons are stop being a fascist trying to force medication on individuals and threatening them with punishments and leave them alone. Thank you.  

i can see both sides but tend to go along with the jab and mask wearing . The various jabs have been used on millions of people around the world and there have been a miniscule number of bad reactions. I use disposable masks  which are better to wear as you can breath ok plus your face doesn't get hot as with a cloth mask. We had to put up with all the tests etc to fly to USA to see our family after two years but it was worth it . So we find it frustrating to comply but it will be collectively worth it . Saintsweb doesn't seem to be any worse the the ancient Tory MPs who have been spouting off this week 😄

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

i can see both sides but tend to go along with the jab and mask wearing . The various jabs have been used on millions of people around the world and there have been a miniscule number of bad reactions. I use disposable masks  which are better to wear as you can breath ok plus your face doesn't get hot as with a cloth mask. We had to put up with all the tests etc to fly to USA to see our family after two years but it was worth it . So we find it frustrating to comply but it will be collectively worth it . Saintsweb doesn't seem to be any worse the the ancient Tory MPs who have been spouting off this week 😄

And JRM is missing totally is that it is his choice not to take a vaccine but my family and friends who work on the clinical frontline don’t get a choice about trying to save his arse when vaccines are available massively reducing the chance of serious illness, with about 0.01% serious adverse effects globally and he refused them.

They’ve got to clear up his mess including with his loved ones if he’s in a coma in an ICU (there’s plenty of them in the hospital 5 minutes down the road tragically). His loved ones don’t get a choice it seems either.

I hope JRM dodges serious illness and stays lucky but anyone who has lost friends in middle age and younger to this virus are worldly wise to how vicious it is. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

And JRM is missing totally is that it is his choice not to take a vaccine but my family and friends who work on the clinical frontline don’t get a choice about trying to save his sorry arse when vaccines massively reducing the chance of serious illness were available and he refused them. They’ve got to clear up his mess including with his loved ones if he’s in a coma in an ICU (there’s plenty of them in the hospital 5 minutes down the road tragically).

I hope JRM dodges serious illness and stays lucky but anyone who has lost friends in middle age and younger to this virus are worldly wise to how vicious it is. 

👏👏👏

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Thanks for the info, appreciate you taking the time.

My point is whilst I agree vaccinations have helped reduce the spread, and hospitalisations, and ultimately deaths, the headlines are always focusing on the most shocking statistics. 

4k daily hospitalisations doesn’t really correlate though to 60k cases per day, as in reality there were always far, far more than 60k cases each day, so believe it would be far lower than 25%. You also mention this in Jan 20, when vaccinations had only really started, so we are no where near that position now.

It is valid Q’g why there are no other stats on how many are actually affected by the virus, as it is likely to be well under 10%. It is likely we are getting 100k cases a day just now in reality, with how many going into hospital - a few hundred at best?

It was Jan 21, the date was significant because as you say vaccinations had barely started. The data shows the effectiveness of the vaccine in reducing serious illness, as measured by hospital admissions. You are right, the actual number of infections is actually significantly higher than the official figure, which then suggests that the vaccination is even more effective than the crude measure would suggest. 

• Like 5

Ultimately, there’s only one stat which really matters and it’s this one.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=overview&areaName=United Kingdom

We all got together for Xmas, nobody was vaccinated, the Delta variant was prevalent and hospital admissions skyrocketed. We locked down just in time to prevent a healthcare disaster. WITH vaccinations hospital numbers have fluctuated around 7-9,000 for the last five months, even though there have been no other restrictions on society. That’s been the difference, it’s as clear as day and I’ve no idea why people are trying to make a case for not getting jabbed.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

They should be.

As this report clearly shows  https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/09/us/hospital-covid-19-deaths-michigan/index.html

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

The fact that someone has designed a website like this puts them in the same category as anti Vaxxers 

Who does something like this, twisted as fuck 

Nope, fuck em. Darwin will have the last laugh. Zero sympathy for them. 
They are the selfish ones prolonging this.

If the tin foil hat can brand the vaxxed as sheeple then they can reap what they sow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

If the tin foil hat can brand the vaxxed as sheeple then they can reap what they sow.

god help us getting over this with people like you around

17 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

god help us getting over this with people like you around

I'm amazed people like that ever leave the house. They've gone all in on covid hysteria, terrified themselves that it's like the plague and now at last they have a target group to blame / be afraid of. 

I've got no problem with the vaccine, the hysteria and fear mongering and attempts to control the lives of others by the scared just disappoints me, they'll never let this go, every January and February for the past 15 years there have been hospital bed shortages, the govt have done nothing to increase capacity (remember the Nightingale hospitals that were taken down again) and instead would rather have a cycle or lockdowns / restrictions to "protect our NHS" instead. 

Vaccine passports have no place in a free society. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Let Darwin spend some time thinking about your logic 

20211210_112141.jpg

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'm amazed people like that ever leave the house. They've gone all in on covid hysteria, terrified themselves that it's like the plague and now at last they have a target group to blame / be afraid of. 

I've got no problem with the vaccine, the hysteria and fear mongering and attempts to control the lives of others by the scared just disappoints me, they'll never let this go, every January and February for the past 15 years there have been hospital bed shortages, the govt have done nothing to increase capacity (remember the Nightingale hospitals that were taken down again) and instead would rather have a cycle or lockdowns / restrictions to "protect our NHS" instead. 

Vaccine passports have no place in a free society. 

Plenty don’t sadly. We were down in Southampton at a funeral this week and some family members and close friends  didn’t come because they were worried about omicron, insane if you ask me. Media has a lot to answer for with all the scaremongering but equally people these days are pathetic. Also some use it as an excuse not to get off their arses and get on with their lives. Our work had just announced people still Have to come into the office unless you have a work from home contract as of Monday, unless you feel unsafe to do so. We were naming today the people who won’t come in next week because they feel unsafe, yet they’ll all be out on he piss tonight.

Some are more hardy and have resilient mindset. At risk of showing too much machismo myself I really don’t worry about covid. Fit and healthy as are all my family and rarely get ill and haven’t missed a day’s work for years. I hate wearing a mask and but clearly there is a serious risk to many hence I took offer of jab. It is the twats that genuinely think there is something more sinister at play like brainwashed cult fodder yet ironically they feed off that they are the free thinkers. The fact they take up the majority of hospital beds highlights their folly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Plenty don’t sadly. We were down in Southampton at a funeral this week and some family members and close friends  didn’t come because they were worried about omicron, insane if you ask me. Media has a lot to answer for with all the scaremongering but equally people these days are pathetic. Also some use it as an excuse not to get off their arses and get on with their lives. Our work had just announced people still Have to come into the office unless you have a work from home contract as of Monday, unless you feel unsafe to do so. We were naming today the people who won’t come in next week because they feel unsafe, yet they’ll all be out on he piss tonight.

Sorry to hear that mate, saw you were down , drop me a text next time call in for a covid secure socially distanced cuppa. 

I was in the office in the city on Tuesday,out in the evening,  pubs and bars were heaving , happy people enjoying themselves living life, was good to see. Hospitality in that area has only just started recovering will be loads of dos cancelled now. Had an email from a colleague dropping out as "due to the new variant just didn't want to risk it so close to Christmas " 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JRM said:

This has been explained to you already. The vast majority of us got vaccinated on the back of sound medical advice, not political coercion. Most of us are not scared, we're bored and fed up of restrictions which we all want to be over.

The people who ARE scared, perhaps you should take a moment to consider what life is like for some of them. There's a senior couple two doors down from me, who share part of a garden fence, who have been advised by their doctor (who is unfortunately an oncologist) to avoid physical contact as much as possible. They've both had their jabs but the old boy has leukemia and COVID could well be the end of him. Still, haha what a scared sheep.

33 minutes ago, JRM said:

the hysteria and fear mongering and attempts to control the lives of others by the scared just disappoints me

No, they don't want to control our lives, they want our ecconomy open for business, our trade and borders moving and their noses back in the trough. Boris is not sat in #10 doing a maniacal laugh because he made me wear a surgical mask in Tesco for ten minutes.

34 minutes ago, JRM said:

January and February for the past 15 years there have been hospital bed shortages

Completely false comparison.

the govt have done nothing to increase capacity (remember the Nightingale hospitals that were taken down again)

So the government have done nothing to increase capacity, other than to temporarily increase capacity, which fortunately wasn't needed?

instead would rather have a cycle or lockdowns / restrictions to "protect our NHS" instead.

No. Nobody wants that, but it might end up being a necessity. 

31 minutes ago, JRM said:

Let Darwin spend some time thinking about your logic

That photo is just nonsense and a complete strawman.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not Jim's funeral last Friday?

29 minutes ago, whelk said:

Some are more hardy and have resilient mindset. At risk of showing too much machismo myself I really don’t worry about covid. Fit and healthy as are all my family and rarely get ill and haven’t missed a day’s work for years. I hate wearing a mask and but clearly there is a serious risk to many hence I took offer of jab. It is the twats that genuinely think there is something more sinister at play like brainwashed cult fodder yet ironically they feed off that they are the free thinkers. The fact they take up the majority of hospital beds highlights their folly.

don't often agree with you but this is it in a nutshell. There is clearly a virus and you can argue that taking the vaccine is the right thing to do, but i took it cause i travel a lot, not worried about the virus, had it, bit like the flu and that was that. Not had it since even though i take little precautions. If i die of it then so be it, i would rather die living than live hiding

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This has been explained to you already. The vast majority of us got vaccinated on the back of sound medical advice, not political coercion. Most of us are not scared, we're bored and fed up of restrictions which we all want to be over.

The people who ARE scared, perhaps you should take a moment to consider what life is like for some of them. There's a senior couple two doors down from me, who share part of a garden fence, who have been advised by their doctor (who is unfortunately an oncologist) to avoid physical contact as much as possible. They've both had their jabs but the old boy has leukemia and COVID could well be the end of him. Still, haha what a scared sheep.

No, they don't want to control our lives, they want our ecconomy open for business, our trade and borders moving and their noses back in the trough. Boris is not sat in #10 doing a maniacal laugh because he made me wear a surgical mask in Tesco for ten minutes.

So the government have done nothing to increase capacity, other than to temporarily increase capacity, which fortunately wasn't needed?

Yeah but you’ve love lockdown so not surprised you’re championing it and defending those who also do

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Regarding ICU beds, some 30% are occupied by Covid patients of whom 90% are unvaccinated. Once you are admitted to ICU your chances of coming out alive are 50/50.

Have you got a source for this please? Interesting statIstic. I thought Chris Whitty’s slide from Wednesday was quite compelling in showing the rate of hospitalisation for vaccinated/unvaccinated.

061-AB23-E-42-DB-47-B3-BEC2-FB92-F64-D24

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Talk for yourself and your demographic, I know very few who queued up for it other than to go on holiday and ensure they had access to things after threats from the govt.  

Your patronising tone does make me chuckle, "as I've explained to you already" , vaccine passports are not needed or warranted. A few brave MPs are prepared to stand against them but unfortunately will not be enough. The photo highlights the ridiculous nature of such a thing. 

You don't think Boris and his chums have had their noses in the troughs last 18 months? Haha wow, check out some of the contracts being dished out, there has been a huge transfer of wealth away from small enterprises into global Amazons etc. 

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

don't often agree with you but this is it in a nutshell. There is clearly a virus and you can argue that taking the vaccine is the right thing to do, but i took it cause i travel a lot, not worried about the virus, had it, bit like the flu and that was that. Not had it since even though i take little precautions. If i die of it then so be it, i would rather die living than live hiding

Sounds similar to myself, I can't agree with Whelk completely though, "absolutely nothing sinister" ... really? 

Even the origins of the virus are fucking sinister, the Chinese cover up, the Wuhan lab, the early footage of people just collapsing in the street which now look ridiculous. 

The lack of proper opposition in parliament or in the media to actually question some of the frankly bizarre decisions. It's like living in the soviet union at times. 

49 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Have you got a source for this please? Interesting statIstic. I thought Chris Whitty’s slide from Wednesday was quite compelling in showing the rate of hospitalisation for vaccinated/unvaccinated.

061-AB23-E-42-DB-47-B3-BEC2-FB92-F64-D24

Not a written source that I can quote at the moment I’m afraid but you’re welcome to search for one. My information comes from two or three verbal sources on reputable news channels a week ago.

I’ll have a flick around later.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

6 hours ago, saint1977 said:

And JRM is missing totally is that it is his choice not to take a vaccine but my family and friends who work on the clinical frontline don’t get a choice about trying to save his arse when vaccines are available massively reducing the chance of serious illness, with about 0.01% serious adverse effects globally and he refused them.

They’ve got to clear up his mess including with his loved ones if he’s in a coma in an ICU (there’s plenty of them in the hospital 5 minutes down the road tragically). His loved ones don’t get a choice it seems either.

You've got no idea if I've had the vaccine or not so stop worrying about anyone saving my arse. 

At any point in this whole sorry saga have the govt made any attempt to persuade people perhaps their unhealthy lifestyle isn't doing them any favours when it comes to defeating any illness let alone covid. Old age and obesity and two key factors for those ending up in hospital. Vaccine passports are not the answer. 

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

At any point in this whole sorry saga have the govt made any attempt to persuade people perhaps their unhealthy lifestyle isn't doing them any favours when it comes to defeating any illness let alone covid. Old age and obesity and two key factors for those ending up in hospital.

I am with you on that one. I do love the run up to a general election, when people are being interviewed in the streets and some 21 stone bloke claims the Tories are crippling the NHS. If people won’t lose weight to prevent heart disease, bowel cancer, hypertension, stroke, osteoarthritis, liver disease, chronic muscle pain and 1,000 other medical conditions, I doubt they will for covid either, sadly. Still, I don’t think it necessarily follows that anti-vaxxers are by default Abercrombie and Fitch models with shredded abs, like the guy in your photo.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JRM said:

You've got no idea if I've had the vaccine or not so stop worrying about anyone saving my arse. 

At any point in this whole sorry saga have the govt made any attempt to persuade people perhaps their unhealthy lifestyle isn't doing them any favours when it comes to defeating any illness let alone covid. Old age and obesity and two key factors for those ending up in hospital. Vaccine passports are not the answer. 

I don’t think can be arsed about your arse. It’s your role in the prolongation of this pandemic, if you are indeed unvaccinated. If you aren’t then good for you.

The messages about obesity are everywhere but we tend not to notice things that don’t apply to us personally and there’s not a lot we can do about getting old but what’s the alternative?

Vaccine passports are intended to encourage/bully people to get jabbed.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I am with you on that one. I do love the run up to a general election, when people are being interviewed in the streets and some 21 stone bloke claims the Tories are crippling the NHS. If people won’t lose weight to prevent heart disease, bowel cancer, hypertension, stroke, osteoarthritis, liver disease, chronic muscle pain and 1,000 other medical conditions, I doubt they will for covid either, sadly. Still, I don’t think it necessarily follows that anti-vaxxers are by default Abercrombie and Fitch models with shredded abs, like the guy in your photo.

Neither of them look very healthy to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t think can be arsed about your arse. It’s your role in the prolongation of this pandemic, if you are indeed unvaccinated. If you aren’t then good for you.

The messages about obesity are everywhere but we tend not to notice things that don’t apply to us personally and there’s not a lot we can do about getting old but what’s the alternative?

Vaccine passports are intended to encourage/bully people to get jabbed.

I thought we were going for herd Immunity with vaccinations? We reached that months ago.

Now, we need to protect against something that has effects of a runny nose and a headache.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I thought we were going for herd Immunity with vaccinations? We reached that months ago.

Now, we need to protect against something that has effects of a runny nose and a headache.

We haven't got herd immunity...we're getting nearly 60k cases a day. Not your best post. 

10 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Unless your one of them

Same for any illness. Like the flu or other similar, fairly mild issues. Should we lockdown / impose restrictions at football every winter (where the NHS has needed saving for the last 20 years during these months)?

Over 90% have had 2 vaccines 

Over 90% have anti-bodies to offer natural protection, like against death (hence why the numbers  are so low)

I wonder how the "numbers" will compare over the next 3 months to a normal winter with loads of flu.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/vaccines

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Same for any illness. Like the flu or other similar, fairly mild issues. Should we lockdown / impose restrictions at football every winter (where the NHS has needed saving for the last 20 years during these months)?

Over 90% have anti-bodies to offer natural protection, like against death (hence why the numbers  are so low)

I wonder how the "numbers" will compare over the next 3 months to a normal winter with loads of flu.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/vaccines

As of yesterday 81.2% of the population over the age of 12 have had 2 doses https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

39 minutes ago, waylander said:

As of yesterday 81.2% of the population over the age of 12 have had 2 doses https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Obviously, when you include children (who are almost un affected by this), then the % drops a little.

12-15 year olds being offered the vaccine is relatively recent

Edited by AlexLaw76

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We are still some way off herd immunity. The problem is that the more infectious the virus the higher the proportion of the population that need to be protected in order for the numbers to start falling off.

We don’t know yet how much of a threat it is but if it is more infectious with less serious effects then it’s good news.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

1 is too many no?

13 hours ago, JRM said:

Entirely your choice not to get vaxxed. Entirely my choice to call you a loon.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Not going to happen though is it. It’s here to stay, got to live with it and accept people are going to get ill.

52 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

For the virus? 
what about other transmissible illnesses? 1 too many for them? 
plane crashes? 
at what point are numbers  acceptable?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59621029

"The number of deaths from the variant by the end of April could range from 25,000 to 75,000 depending on how well vaccines perform ."

Is it not worth trying to reduce such numbers of people dying over the next few months?

@Noodles34 plane crashes are not contagious! Plus in any case huge amounts of preventative things are used to reduce numbers of plane crashes.

Edited by Matthew Le God

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59621029

"The number of deaths from the variant by the end of April could range from 25,000 to 75,000 depending on how well vaccines perform ."

Is it not worth trying to reduce such numbers of people dying over the next few months?

@Noodles34 plane crashes are not contagious! Plus in any case huge amounts of preventative things are used to reduce numbers of plane crashes.

What is the minimum number you’d accept? Given our friend above said one is too many, so that’s you’re starting point

• Lighthouse changed the title to COVID and Football (Merged)