Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

2 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Significant Ukrainian counterattacks today. Widespread drone strikes on Russian oil infrastructure, and there are reports that (likely Ukraine backed) Russian separatists have occupied/liberated large parts of Bilhorod and Kursk in Russia.

Not to mention a lost military plane due to the engine falling off. 

33 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Apparently, Vlad is a shoe in to win this weekend's election in Russia.

Very popular in the occupied Ukrainian territories according to official opinion polls.

40 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Incredibly strong position taken by Macron today, making it clear that sending in troops is an option that’s on the table and not considered a red line for France.

Good, so we should. The only thing a crackpot like Vlad understands is strength, If we sent in peacekeepers as far as Kharkhiv, Dnipro and Odessa, Ukraine's safety and Sovereignty would be secure.

7 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Incredibly strong position taken by Macron today, making it clear that sending in troops is an option that’s on the table and not considered a red line for France.

I wonder on the state of readiness he has French troops to deploy into Ukraine on this basis?

or did he mean, send troops in led by the USA?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not long now and I've got a hunch that Vlad is going to win the Presidency once more!

Turnout has been fantastic again with 67.54%, up on 2018's figure of 67.50%.

Now wonder the turnout is so good with such dedicated citizens!

spacer.png

That is the queue for a bakery that has just got a new batch of bread in.

Well I would just like to congratulate Vladimir on an excellent, hard fought victory. It's incredible to think that, even after all these years, he's still so popular with the Russian voters that they keep re-electing him. He must be such a wonderful, caring leader to garner so much respect and support from such a diverse range of cultures all across Russia.

Obviously joke of an election with all credible candidates disbarred or killed. That said he is still popular in Russia Seems to be a combination of:

• Russia always having an absolute Monarch or a dictator apart from a couple years under Yeltsin, who was bit of a clown drunk.  
  • Putin's total control of the media and opposition. 

China and Russia, along with others have proved its possible to to entirely shape most of the the population's thoughts through SM and news. I dont see how we can combat that except by closing down sites like X and Tiktok, and then how does that make us better than them?  

19 minutes ago, whelk said:

Why the fuck is this election headline news? FFS it is a sham and we don’t need to know anything more

Who would have guessed? Did anyone else clean up at the bookies? 

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You're joking aren't you?

Over 87% approval rating is magnificent!

Only the supreme leader Kim is more popular than Vlad.

Can Putin afford to send 13% of his electorate to the Gulag ? You can guarantee that the FSB know who failed to carry out their patriotic duty and show support for Vlad. Might be a business boost for Russian glaziers coming soon.

Edited by badgerx16

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Can Putin afford to send 13% of his electorate to the Gulag ? You can guarantee that the FSB know who failed to carry out their patriotic duty and show support for Vlad.

Reminds me of Tower Hamlets

4 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Who would have guessed? Did anyone else clean up at the bookies? 

I was sure that this was the time he'd lose, so I bet on the opponents. I was telling the officers who have just arrived to take me to my torture in a detention cell, that I just didn't think he could stay so popular.

23 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Can Putin afford to send 13% of his electorate to the Gulag ? You can guarantee that the FSB know who failed to carry out their patriotic duty and show support for Vlad. Might be a business boost for Russian glaziers coming soon.

About 8% voted for one of the three stooges, so it's only 5% that need to be dealt with.

43 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Seems legit.

Yup. I was completely comforted by "The SMMT said: "Wherever the UK automotive industry exports, it is committed to compliance with all trade and economic sanctions, and continues to work closely with government and the new Office For Sanctions to ensure the effective implementation of the regulations."

And they are complying with the sanctions lists, as they stand. That you can drive a shiny new car through them, doesn't seem to be a concern. Strangely, they aren't at all keen to investigae if any of the technology could be dual use (Azerbaijan has some military trade sanctions on it), or to track either the vehicles or the funds across borders into Russia.

Just one of the number of examples where you think you're on the same side looking to end a conflict, only to find that a number of folk on your own side are only interested in lining their pockets.

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

The question is, would anyone notice?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

The yanks gave out a terror warning just a day or so before, even saying don't go to concert halls. False flag the US picked up on?

Islamic State

10 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Although IS often claim attacks that are nothing to do with them, if this is their work I wonder if it linked to Wagner's operations in sub-Saharan Africa.

If it is ISIS the attack will be because Russia exists and its citizens aren’t dedicated to the exact, specific interpretation of Islam that they subscribe to. I’m amazed that these suspects (assuming they were the gunmen) allowed themselves to be taken alive, f**k knows what the FSB are going to do with them.

15 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I wonder how Vlad feels this morning having dismissed the US warnings as "open blackmail, an attempt to scare and destabilise society".

If there's one thing which he fears, it's looking weak, especially in the eyes of his own people. With cross border Ukrainian attacks against places like Belgorod and now this in Moscow, ordinary Russians aren't going to be too impressed with their so-called strong man leader. Especially after the US did apparently warn them and he did nothing. 

6 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

If there's one thing which he fears, it's looking weak, especially in the eyes of his own people. With cross border Ukrainian attacks against places like Belgorod and now this in Moscow, ordinary Russians aren't going to be too impressed with their so-called strong man leader. Especially after the US did apparently warn them and he did nothing. 

It’s possible Russia are either actually behind this, or allowed it to happen despite being warned it was coming. Their response, to try and put it on Ukraine, suggests they’re at the very least trying to use it for domestic propaganda now.

That’s getting very little traction outside of Russia at least, and actually just seems to be highlighting the people that are trying to push that narrative as likely on Russia’s payroll or off the deep end due to how  ridiculous that is.

Inside Russia it doesn’t seem to be entirely successful either, at least some are questioning why the US has better intel in Russia than Russia does.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

It’s possible Russia are either actually behind this, or allowed it to happen despite being warned it was coming. Their response, to try and put it on Ukraine, suggests they’re at the very least trying to use it for domestic propaganda now.

I just can’t really see what the rational would be behind this as a false flag. They been in Ukraine for two years, committed countless war crimes and even now are firing any missiles and bombs they can get their mitts on a civilian areas. I don’t know what they’d need to give themselves permission for with something as as drastic as this. It’s not even particularly plausible for Russians either. Nazis and NATO in bed together in Kyiv sort of works as a narrative. Those two and Islamic jihadists all in a great big super team… I can’t see that flying too well in public.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I just can’t really see what the rational would be behind this as a false flag. They been in Ukraine for two years, committed countless war crimes and even now are firing any missiles and bombs they can get their mitts on a civilian areas. I don’t know what they’d need to give themselves permission for with something as as drastic as this. It’s not even particularly plausible for Russians either. Nazis and NATO in bed together in Kyiv sort of works as a narrative. Those two and Islamic jihadists all in a great big super team… I can’t see that flying too well in public.

A lot of signs are pointing towards some sort of further mass mobilisation in Russia, on the back of some of the most visible election protests ever seen in Russia.

Whether or not Russia were behind it, or could have stopped it and didn’t, trying to blame Ukraine will act as a rallying point for some if that mass mobilisation happens, and as a chilling effect for others, able to be used as a reason to crack down on protests and resistance to that mobilisation as unpatriotic.

How successful that might be for Russia remains to be seen. It’s certainly not gaining much (if any) traction outside of Russia, inside as ever is extremely difficult to gauge.

15 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

That’s getting very little traction outside of Russia at least, and actually just seems to be highlighting the people that are trying to push that narrative as likely on Russia’s payroll or off the deep end due to how  ridiculous that is.

Inside Russia it doesn’t seem to be entirely successful either, at least some are questioning why the US has better intel in Russia than Russia does.

Jeez. They're not. It's a terrorist attack. It'll be interesting to know what further intel the US had, and that may reveal itself. 

The retribution will be towards Ukraine (and despite what's been said on here many times, Russia still have plenty to hit Ukraine with), and anyone else that Russia suspect supported the attack. 

5 hours ago, egg said:

Jeez. They're not. It's a terrorist attack. It'll be interesting to know what further intel the US had, and that may reveal itself. 

The retribution will be towards Ukraine (and despite what's been said on here many times, Russia still have plenty to hit Ukraine with), and anyone else that Russia suspect supported the attack. 

At the very least Russia knew about it. The US gave them intel about it, then made it public. A few days ago Putin was calling that Western propaganda. The question given that at the very least is whether it happened because Russia couldn’t stop it, or wouldn’t.

Given Putin’s track record, I’m certainly not going to dismiss the possibility Russia has some culpability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Russian_apartment_bombings

2 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

At the very least Russia knew about it. The US gave them intel about it, then made it public. A few days ago Putin was calling that Western propaganda. The question given that at the very least is whether it happened because Russia couldn’t stop it, or wouldn’t.

Given Putin’s track record, I’m certainly not going to dismiss the possibility Russia has some culpability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Russian_apartment_bombings

Sure, they knew of A threat, but that's a million miles from knowing of this particular threat, and either allowing it to happen, or being behind it.

For a long time you've had this misguided belief that Russia's military is a busted flush, and now you're saying that it could turn in it's people in this way. Methinks you're looking for what you want to see. 

29 minutes ago, egg said:

Sure, they knew of A threat, but that's a million miles from knowing of this particular threat, and either allowing it to happen, or being behind it.

For a long time you've had this misguided belief that Russia's military is a busted flush, and now you're saying that it could turn in it's people in this way. Methinks you're looking for what you want to see. 

No, the US warned Russia about this specific threat under the duty to warn protocol.

1 hour ago, egg said:

There’s a whole world of difference between being a military superpower with the ability to occupy Ukraine in there days and having some involvement in a terrorist attack on their own soil. FWIW I don’t think Russia had any involvement in this, I’m going with Occam’s Razor. It was Islamic terrorists and Russia was simply negligent with whatever warning they received from US intelligence. How best to spin this from Putin’s POV remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

No, the US warned Russia about this specific threat under the duty to warn protocol.

The warning was in respect of "large gatherings" in Moscow. Not this gathering. 

• Like 1