BBC MotD coverage

Professor

34 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

If you watched on Sunday the Goal of the month went to pot on the website - so it was left to Dublin and Woodgate to decide - Dion went for Prowseys free kick- Woodgate went for Kovacic dipping volley. Chappers decided that Woodgates vote wins as it was his first guest appearance on MOTD - 

A goal like Ward-Prowse's against Wolves is seen perhaps once a generation. A volley outside the box maybe once a season.

On a side note BBC 606 on 5Live, if you listen to last weekends Saturday and Sunday shows, Robbie Savages love-in with Man United is quite sickening.

Plenty of Saints fans calling up obviously full of praise for the way we played, discussing RH etc, but when the subject came onto him leaving for a new club Savage just couldn’t accept that RH likely wouldn’t go to Manchester United if they came in for him.

Chris Sutton correctly backing the Saints fans arguing “why would he” (leave a club on the up and that he’s in control of, for a club that) “is a shambles from top to bottom”.

Always liked Sutton.

But yeah, if any of you listen to it back it’s quite infuriating, Savage spoke over every fan that phoned in with any logical argument.

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

On a side note BBC 606 on 5Live, if you listen to last weekends Saturday and Sunday shows, Robbie Savages love-in with Man United is quite sickening.

Plenty of Saints fans calling up obviously full of praise for the way we played, discussing RH etc, but when the subject came onto him leaving for a new club Savage just couldn’t accept that RH likely wouldn’t go to Manchester United if they came in for him.

Chris Sutton correctly backing the Saints fans arguing “why would he” (leave a club on the up and that he’s in control of, for a club that) “is a shambles from top to bottom”.

Always liked Sutton.

But yeah, if any of you listen to it back it’s quite infuriating, Savage spoke over every fan that phoned in with any logical argument.

To be fair although Savages argument was quite a singleminded one and didn’t show much respect for us. I do think he was right, if United came calling, especially with Ranrick (I think that’s how you spell it😂) in the setup now Ralf H would go.

35 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

To be fair although Savages argument was quite a singleminded one and didn’t show much respect for us. I do think he was right, if United came calling, especially with Ranrick (I think that’s how you spell it😂) in the setup now Ralf H would go.

Ralph has said he's leaving at the end of his contract with us. I read that as saying he's comitted to us until the end of the contract.

From the club's perspective, unless there's a scenario where we look doomed in the next couple of years, then we'll commit to the same. They've stuck by him through a torrid run of results already, so no real reason we'd part company with him.

After that, who knows. He may retire. He may find a new challenge. He may be part of picking a successor or not. He may even extend his stay with us. He might join a "bigger" club at that time. But I can't see him dumping the project he has so much input into, to rejoin a guy he felt out with over strategic decisions last time.

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Always liked Sutton.

Thats what you always get with 606.  On the odd occasion that I listen to 606 I usually end up switching it off after 5 mins.  It's usually plastic Manchester United/Arsenal/Liverpool supporters phoning in with one of the following:

-  The referee was a disgrace

-  We should sack the manager

-  We need to buy a centre forward

Makes SaintsWeb seem civilised

In my view 606 hasnt been the same since Danny Baker was sacked.  Stories of odd things happening at games was always worth a listen.  My favourite was a Partick Thistle supporter who ran to away games.  Queen of the South (Dumfries) was the furthest he had gone - over 70 miles.  He left the previous day for the game.  Priceless

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Ralph has said he's leaving at the end of his contract with us. I read that as saying he's comitted to us until the end of the contract.

From the club's perspective, unless there's a scenario where we look doomed in the next couple of years, then we'll commit to the same. They've stuck by him through a torrid run of results already, so no real reason we'd part company with him.

After that, who knows. He may retire. He may find a new challenge. He may be part of picking a successor or not. He may even extend his stay with us. He might join a "bigger" club at that time. But I can't see him dumping the project he has so much input into, to rejoin a guy he felt out with over strategic decisions last time.

I know that Ralfs said that he’s committed to seeing out his contract but you can’t really tell me that if United offered Ralf the job this summer he would turn it down, it’s one of the biggest jobs in football. I can’t see United going for him anyway, they’ll probably go for a big name “elite” manager.

I don’t think RH would leave Saints for any other club, especially mid-contract.

He’s here for the project.

It’s very single-minded of Savage to say what he did, shows how much pundits know about clubs outside the top six.

As for the callers, it is the same generic people that ring up and this year it’s been all Steve Bruce, Ole Gunner Solskjaer, Watford’s revolving door and even on one occasion Liverpool fans calling for Klopp out 😂

11 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Always liked Sutton.

To be fair to Savage he was talking like a fan as he has lots of emotional ties to Man U given he started his career there and now his son is on the fringes of the first team so you can understand why he's got a love in with them. Maybe he looks at Ralphs development of young players and sees that as being an opportunity for his son to crack it at Man United. It's also a valid point that most managers would jump if Man United called, it's as big a job as you can get so understandable he would think RH would go there. I dont mind Savage, at least he talks with a bit of passion rather than the scripted, boring crap a lot of them came out with. ALthough i saw him at Manchester airport a few years ago, with his spray tan, bleached blond hair and him in his missus in matching velour tracksuits they looked a right pair of tossers. 

Sutton was just playing good cop, he's a bellend who has also slagged Saints off a lot in the past. 

Edited by Turkish

22 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

But he pops into people's houses who are in the UK to watch MoTD. yes?

No. He pops into people's houses to watch MoTD, never said they were in the UK. You can watch BBC from overseas, if you choose to set yourself up correctly, places like Switzerland for example (or is it just a coincidence that Prof has a profile icon (or whatever its called) that is the Swiss flag, I don't know.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

I know that Ralfs said that he’s committed to seeing out his contract but you can’t really tell me that if United offered Ralf the job this summer he would turn it down, it’s one of the biggest jobs in football. I can’t see United going for him anyway, they’ll probably go for a big name “elite” manager.

How many times have they done that already? They have become a club to avoid. Ralph inherited a mess here and its taken three years to sort out. Would he want to go through all that again--and under intense media scrutiny? Better to enjoy the fruit of his labours here, supported by a proper Board of football people. Cheers at last!

1 hour ago, kwsaint said:

Thats what you always get with 606.  On the odd occasion that I listen to 606 I usually end up switching it off after 5 mins.  It's usually plastic Manchester United/Arsenal/Liverpool supporters phoning in with one of the following:

-  The referee was a disgrace

-  We should sack the manager

-  We need to buy a centre forward

Makes SaintsWeb seem civilised

In my view 606 hasnt been the same since Danny Baker was sacked.  Stories of odd things happening at games was always worth a listen.  My favourite was a Partick Thistle supporter who ran to away games.  Queen of the South (Dumfries) was the furthest he had gone - over 70 miles.  He left the previous day for the game.  Priceless

Great to see the Jags get a mention on here, they were my first love until I moved south and became a Saint through marriage !!

Thistle supporters are a strange bunch at the best of times and a sense of humour is an absolute requirement 😄!

Much better than following the bigots of the ‘old firm’ !!

47 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

No. He pops into people's houses to watch MoTD, never said they were in the UK. You can watch BBC from overseas, if you choose to set yourself up correctly, places like Switzerland for example (or is it just a coincidence that Prof has a profile icon (or whatever its called) that is the Swiss flag, I don't know.

Or maybe it's from the Liebherr era?

35 minutes ago, Dellman said:

How many times have they done that already? They have become a club to avoid. Ralph inherited a mess here and its taken three years to sort out. Would he want to go through all that again--and under intense media scrutiny? Better to enjoy the fruit of his labours here, supported by a proper Board of football people. Cheers at last!

Also I'd like to think we're paying him close to £8m a year anyway.

At United would they really give him £15m? They might give him £10m a year and after tax it wouldn't be a whole lot more.

The Utd job is a different kettle of fish, they have title aspirations and it's an easier target simply to keep us up than it is to win the league with Utd.

Having said that, depends if Ralph wants to retire in two years or not, he's in a cosy-ish job now but would have a lot more work if he managed Utd.

I can see Ralph taking on a top Bundesliga side in 2024, like a Dortmund or a fallen giant over there, his stock is only increasing. It also brings him closer to his native Austria, and they have proper winter breaks and only 34 league games which he will prefer.

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

We're gonna be last again tonight aren't we 😒

Every Premier League Friday night game (whoever is playing) is automatically put last on Match of the Day on a Saturday. They always prioritise the Saturday games as they feel there has been enough time for people to have seen highlights of the Friday game. It is not an anti Saints thing.

Edited by Matthew Le God