Has there been a worse home performance in recent memory?

saint1977

I know it’s not the worst score line today - Leicester was - but at lest there you had the combination of a senior player sent off very early, torrential rain and Leicester battering sides right left and centre.

Been a supporter 40 years and seen some stinkers at the Dell/SMS but even in 04/05 we only lost 4 home league games. Bear in mind the woodwork strikes Chelsea had and eased off last half an hour and it could have been 12 goals if they kept going like Leicester did. 

I’m trying to think of a worse home display in terms of organisation, work rate and organisation. Chelsea did score a few in the FA Cup in one of Adkins’s last games but we did lead and I don’t remember it being as gutless and chaotic as today. 

Let’s hope whoever is the manager in the summer can galvanise some sort of pride in home displays. Barring a spell earlier this season we’ve been terrible at home since Koeman left. Can’t think SMS ST renewals will amount to much without a clear sign of intent to invest in a major squad overhaul.

• Like 2

In short, no. 

Easily the worst performance I’ve ever seen (arguably by anyone). Forster the only player to come away with any Credit (he was fantastic). 

Another day, with another striker playing, and another keeper in goal, that is 10+. Just imagine if Lukaku was fit. 

Absolutely shambolic. 

• Like 4

The 6-1 loss to Liverpool under Koeman in the cup was a horrendous performance. Mane put us 1-0 up right at the start and then we proceeded to ship goals to a team who had rested half their normal starters. 

Steven Caulker and Stekelenberg put in total non performances, but other than those 2 we had a really strong team out. Mane, Pelle, Van Dijk, Tadic, Wanyama etc but played absolutely terribly.

• Like 2

There’s a 3-0 defeat by Watford under George Burley which always sticks in my mind. A non-sensical farce of a team selection, people out of position all over the place, an absolutely abject performance and the clown sat there gormlessly watching until the 88th minute, before sending on Adam Hammill for no particular reason.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There’s a 3-0 defeat by Watford under George Burley which always sticks in my mind. A non-sensical farce of a team selection, people out of position all over the place, an absolutely abject performance and the clown sat there gormlessly watching until the 88th minute, before sending on Adam Hammill for no particular reason.

Adam fucking Hammill. A fat Scouse in a t-shirt. Remember him coming on once as a sub, and I wondered which kebab House he was signed from. Whatever happened to him?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The 6-1 loss to Liverpool under Koeman in the cup was a horrendous performance. Mane put us 1-0 up right at the start and then we proceeded to ship goals to a team who had rested half their normal starters. 

Steven Caulker and Stekelenberg put in total non performances, but other than those 2 we had a really strong team out. Mane, Pelle, Van Dijk, Tadic, Wanyama etc but played absolutely terribly.

Yep we were awful that night, if I remember rightly Liverpool scored with every shot on target. Steklenberg had a shocker and Caulker played like a 65 year old pub player drafted in from the bar because we were one short. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Was that the game we missed two penalities?

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Saints 2 Tottenham 6 was pretty embarrassing, Ronnie Rosenthal was our nemesis that evening. Think we were 2-0 up at half time as well.

We were great first half though. Second half they came back into it then killed us in extra time. I don’t think we played that badly for an hour or so, Rosenthal Had a once in a career game, went back to being his usual self after that 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

In short, no. 

Easily the worst performance I’ve ever seen (arguably by anyone). Forster the only player to come away with any Credit (he was fantastic). 

Another day, with another striker playing, and another keeper in goal, that is 10+. Just imagine if Lukaku was fit. 

Absolutely shambolic. 

xG was 4.4. This "different striker/goalkeeper" thing is bollocks. Overperforming xG by 6 would be basically unprecedented.

They already finished way over average.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We were great first half though. Second half they came back into it then killed us in extra time. I don’t think we played that badly for an hour or so, Rosenthal Had a once in a career game, went back to being his usual self after that 

It wasn’t too far away in time from when we went to WHL and got done 7-2. Again, I think we were 1-0 up and 2-1.

I’d be surprised if, in Premier League terms anyway, there’s been a side who have fucked up a two+ goal lead more than Saints have. Just off the top of my head I reckon I could get to double figures of times we’ve turned a 2 goal lead into a defeat. 

4 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Saints 3 Leeds 4 after going in at half time 3-0 up was a terrible experience even though we were great for 45 minutes 

Not in the league, but see also the 4-3 reverse against Tranmere after being 3 up Ffs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TWar said:

xG was 4.4. This "different striker/goalkeeper" thing is bollocks. Overperforming xG by 6 would be basically unprecedented.

Can’t be arsed 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TWar said:

Alexa, devalue any argument for XG in one post please. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

how anyone could watch that game and come away from it with that summary, clearly has a screw loose. 

Indeed. Didn’t watch it myself but everyone I’ve spoken to who were there said 6-0 flattered us regardless of what fucking XG says

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yep we were awful that night, if I remember rightly Liverpool scored with every shot on target. Steklenberg had a shocker and Caulker played like a 65 year old pub player drafted in from the bar because we were one short. 

I blamed that performance pretty much on Caulker and then they signed him on loan. I think he had a few issues poor lad Caulker.

2 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

Arsenal in the cup with a youth team was pretty dispiriting. I think that one was 5-0. At least the tickets were £15.

Arsenal in the week before the FA Cup final at 6-0 was, yeah, not ideal preparation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Arsenal in the week before the FA Cup final at 6-0 was, yeah, not ideal preparation.

Aside from the score, as has been pointed out, I'm almost certain that was at Highbury. We won the home game when Delgado got Campbell sent off, then scored with his todger. Shocking game though. Think it was 5-0 after about 20 minutes, at which point Fernandes was subbed off. 

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Aside from the score, as has been pointed out, I'm almost certain that was at Highbury. We won the home game when Delgado got Campbell sent off, then scored with his todger. Shocking game though. Think it was 5-0 after about 20 minutes, at which point Fernandes was subbed off. 

It was at Highbury 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Aside from the score, as has been pointed out, I'm almost certain that was at Highbury. We won the home game when Delgado got Campbell sent off, then scored with his todger.

It was, I did know that. I guess I’m just purging all of my Saints thrashing memories, there’s lots to go through.

Dont get me started on going to Goodison Park for 7-1….

Edited by The Kraken

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Just out of interest, do you think the xG matched your opinion from what you watched from the game today?

I guess I’m asking if you thought 4-0 (rounded down) was a more accurate reflection of the actual,gameplay that the 6-0 result.

Genuine question.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Or, alternatively, 10-0 results basically never happen for a reason. 

Yes, it didn’t today because the keeper made some fantastic saves amd their striker missed some really good opportunities… like I said. 

It basically never happens in the premier league because it takes a really, really shit performance to lose by that amount. Hence why one 2 teams have lost 9-0 and we’ve done it twice. 

Edited by Dman

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just out of interest, do you think the xG matched your opinion from what you watched from the game today?

I guess I’m asking if you thought 4-0 (rounded down) was a more accurate reflection of the actual,gameplay that the 6-0 result.

Genuine question.

Yeah, I do. I think there were a couple of tap ins with 0.75 xg but there were also a couple of pretty tricky finishes, like Mount's first.

I think confirmation bias makes people think chances go in a lot more often than they actually do. There were people on here calling what was likely a 0.25 xg chance for Armstrong a 0.8+ one against city. Its like I said at the time, people are far too liberal with "should be scoring that".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

England beat San Marino by that margin not very long ago, didn’t they?

Yeah, I mean, it happens with a massive differential in quality prem vs league 2 quality, but in the same league it basically never happens.

Edited by TWar

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah, I do. I think there were a couple of tap ins with 0.75 xg but there were also a couple of pretty tricky finishes, like Mount's first.

I think confirmation bias makes people think chances go in a lot more often than they actually do. There were people on here calling what was likely a 0.25 xg chance for Armstrong a 0.8+ one against city. Its like I said at the time, people are far too liberal with "should be scoring that".

Ok ta.

I think I disagree, given their misses / Forster’s saves. I’d have been very happy to get away with a 4-0 after that. But there we go.

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yes, it didn’t today because the keeper made some fantastic saves amd their striker missed some really good opportunities… like I said. 

It basically never happens in the premier league because it takes a really, really shit performance to lose by that amount. Hence why one 2 teams have lost 9-0 and we’ve done it twice. 

Both our two 9-0s were pretty flukey from an xg perspective too.

17 minutes ago, TWar said:

In addition to all the goals I remember them hitting the woodwork three times and FF making several blinding saves. 

sounds like XG performed at a similar level to SFC today. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Genuine question.

I thought we were lucky that it wasn’t more than six. As for XG, I didn’t expect us to score any goals and I was not disappointed.

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I thought we were lucky that it wasn’t more than six. As for XG, I didn’t expect us to score any goals and I was not disappointed.

Personally I’m amazed we kept it to six. It was a phenomenal battering.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Personally I’m amazed we kept it to six. It was a phenomenal battering.

I’ve been to plenty of games where we’ve been defeated by several goals and usually it was a case of the other side having more luck or that everything they hit flew into the net. But today was worse. We were outclassed and outfought by players who were operating at a higher level than ours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

It didn’t help that Grobbelaar was literally diving past or out of the way of every shot that came in. 

(Legal note: Just in my personal opinion of course)