Carabao Cup 2nd Round draw - Cambridge (a)

Pamplemousse

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

We're going to get them and they're going to knock us out. I gulped yesterday when I saw they'd put out Cardiff.

*Cardiff's reserves. All nine Championship teams that played League One or Two sides last night lost, which shows just how 'seriously' they are taking the competition. 

26 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

We're going to get them and they're going to knock us out. I gulped yesterday when I saw they'd put out Cardiff.

People said that last time, when we spanked them 4-0 in their own back yard. I think the difference in class between the PL and L1 is sometimes underestimated; I remember one video taken from the stands of our fourth goal and you could hear some Skate mush behind describing Redmond as, “different class.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

People said that last time, when we spanked them 4-0 in their own back yard. I think the difference in class between the PL and L1 is sometimes underestimated; I remember one video taken from the stands of our fourth goal and you could hear some Skate mush behind describing Redmond as, “different class.”

Tbf, that was when we had Ings.

I can't stress how much I don't want to play them. We have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I can't stress how much I don't want to play them. We have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

We would gain by going into the next round able to celebrate what should be an easy victory at the expense of our main rivals. Unlike a 2nd round game vs any other L1 side we'd probably have close(ish) to our best XI playing like we did last time vs Pompey.

Edited by Matthew Le God

SOUTH

1. AFC Bournemouth
  2. Brentford
  3. Brighton & Hove Albion
  4. Cambridge United
  5. Charlton Athletic
  6. Colchester United
  7. Crawley Town
  8. Crystal Palace
  9. Exeter City
  10. Forest Green Rovers
  11. Fulham
  12. Gillingham
  13. Milton Keynes Dons
  14. Newport County
  15. Norwich City
  16. Oxford United
  17. Portsmouth
  18. Southampton
  19. Stevenage
  20. Walsall
  21. Watford
  22. Wycombe Wanderers
  23. Coventry City or Bristol City
  24. Plymouth Argyle or Peterborough United

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Exactly the same as said last time. We were going into the game at their place on the back of a pretty tough night against Bournemouth, so most were expecting us to get done.

But even if we didn't play great and don't have 'amazing' players, we're still levels above that lot. Even Redmond looked like a world beater.

39 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Nothing to gain? I don't class smashing the Skates as nothing, even if we are the heavy favourites

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Nothing to gain? I don't class smashing the Skates as nothing, even if we are the heavy favourites

Imagine if they knock us out from two divisions below. We'll never hear the end of it. They were bad enough when they did it from two divisions above but if they did it as underdogs, they'd be unbearable.

46 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Imagine if they knock us out from two divisions below. We'll never hear the end of it. They were bad enough when they did it from two divisions above but if they did it as underdogs, they'd be unbearable.

That isn't relevant to Pamplemousse's goood point that Saints do gain from a win. It refreshes our own bragging rights with a more recent match than the 4-0.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That isn't relevant to Pamplemousse's goood point that Saints do gain from a win. It refreshes our own bragging rights with a more recent match than the 4-0.

IF being the key word. I'd rather not take the risk.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

IF being the key word. I'd rather not take the risk.

Every player in our squad is significantly better than any player they have. Would be nice to have a game where we have such a gulf in class at St Mary’s with our own home fans to witness it compared to only a small number at Fratton Park in the 4-0.

The way we’ve been since February/march we’d probably get pumped by them. 
And tbh when we did beat them last time they were not overly fussed. 
For my sins,living in Gosport, I’ve got a lot of skate workmates and chums..unfortunately family as well…..and they all say the same. 
we haven’t won a major trophy since 76… and they have much more recently,got two FA cup wins. 
thier trophy cabinet is a tad more superior than ours. 
even being lower league champions counts more to them. 
Hence it riled me Adkins failed to carry that through for us when we should’ve. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, saint lard said:

For my sins,living in Gosport, I’ve got a lot of skate workmates and chums..unfortunately family as well…..and they all say the same. 
we haven’t won a major trophy since 76… and they have much more recently,got two FA cup wins. 

They’ve won the exact same as us in the last 72 years; one FA Cup and one Football League Trophy. The difference being we didn’t go bankrupt winning the FA Cup, followed by insolvency and three relegations in five years.

Fair play for getting another dig at Adkins into a thread about the League Cup though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Not overly fussed - bollox! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

They’ve won the exact same as us in the last 72 years; one FA Cup and one Football League Trophy. The difference being we didn’t go bankrupt winning the FA Cup, followed by insolvency and three relegations in five years.

Fair play for getting another dig at Adkins into a thread about the League Cup though.

It's not the same club though, is it.

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saints do gain from a win. It refreshes our own bragging rights with a more recent match than the 4-0.

Isn't it a bit tinpot to be bragging about beating a team 2 divsions below us though? Sounds like the sort of thing those not too bright Pompey supporters would do....

4 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

SOUTH

1. AFC Bournemouth
  2. Brentford
  3. Brighton & Hove Albion
  4. Cambridge United
  5. Charlton Athletic
  6. Colchester United
  7. Crawley Town
  8. Crystal Palace
  9. Exeter City
  10. Forest Green Rovers
  11. Fulham
  12. Gillingham
  13. Milton Keynes Dons
  14. Newport County
  15. Norwich City
  16. Oxford United
  17. Portsmouth
  18. Southampton
  19. Stevenage
  20. Walsall
  21. Watford
  22. Wycombe Wanderers
  23. Coventry City or Bristol City
  24. Plymouth Argyle or Peterborough United

Hoping for Forest Green or Cambridge away for a new ground to visit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No, not at all. It is not our fault our main rivals are such a mess that they are a long term lower league team.

Fair enough. You keep going up to Pompey fans and laughing "ha ha ha... we beat you 4 nil in 2019.... ha ha ha" and I'll keep my powder dry until we've beaten them again on a level playing field. Each to their own, obviously. Other opinions are available.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

Fair enough. You keep going up to Pompey fans and laughing "ha ha ha... we beat you 4 nil in 2019.... ha ha ha" and I'll keep my powder dry until we've beaten them again on a level playing field. Each to their own, obviously. Other opinions are available.

The playing field is level. Both are competing in the same football league pyramid ecosystem. We don't need to be in the same division for a win to mean something in terms of the rivalry. Not our fault they are shit, we can only beat what we face even if they are a long term lower league shambles.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

The playing field is level. Both are competing in the same football league pyramid ecosystem. We don't need to be in the same division for a win to mean something in terms of the rivalry. 

You're entitled to your opinion, so fair enough. I'll continue not to brag about it though, if that's alright with you?

3 hours ago, saint lard said:

The 'Largest Football Bankruptcy Amount Cup'?

Anyway, commiserations on living in Gosport. Played football there on Sunday and I can understand the hard pitch but did they have to cut the dry grass and leave it there? It was like playing in a hay barn.

Their first FA Cup win was in the 1930's?

Not sure if it means much, but both clubs have won exactly the same silverware in the last 70 years or so.

Sadly, our sole win is progressively becoming something most Saints fans weren't able to personally experience.

Such a shame we lost the 2017 League Cup final, would have been brilliant to have won it.

we haven’t won a major trophy since 76… and they have much more recently,got two FA cup wins

I remember the FA Cup in 2008 which they bought by fielding a team that they couldn't afford to pay. When was the second FA Cup win ("more recently" than 1976)...?

And you forgot the bit about them ceasing to exist in 2012 and having to start afresh as a new football club.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, saint lard said:

Yep exactly the same experience for me living in PO territory. They didn't expect to win and quite rightly brushed it off. Same as we did when they dicked us 4 1 in the cup.

I'd give them a wide swerve thus time around. They've improved and Saints are looking increasingly vulnerable. It will be our B as well.

Avoid stakes are too high, we've enough to deal with this year. Let them play Brighton.

• Like 1

Personally, I think we had a side with bigger bollocks then, Yoshida & Hojberg weren’t the best, but they had a bit of guts. Ings was a class above anything we’ve got up front now. We needed to have a bit of toughness first 20, and we showed it. Can you guarantee this bunch of son in laws will front up early as well, I fucking can’t. 

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

They've improved and Saints are looking increasingly vulnerable. It will be our B as well.

They're still in League 1 (having finished lower last season than when we played them) and haven't won a league game yet this season (having most recently drawn 0-0 with Lincoln)...

Don't disagree with the but about Saints though.

28 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why do you think that when Hasenhüttl played a lot of 1st choice players the last time we played them?

Well that would be refreshing, but I think since then he has tended to put in 5 or 6 occasional players in. West Ham this year as an example.

That game imo wrecked our season. Pure conjecture but I think he pissed a lot of 1st teasers off. We were on a roll (of sorts) and it seem to stop it in its tracks.

12 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

They're still in League 1 (having finished lower last season than when we played them) and haven't won a league game yet this season (having most recently drawn 0-0 with Lincoln)...

Don't disagree with the but about Saints though.

I think at the moment morale is so low, a defeat against the old enemy would have a significant impact on everybody.

Not sure are of them but happy to avoid 

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

Well that would be refreshing, but I think since then he has tended to put in 5 or 6 occasional players in. West Ham this year as an example.

That game imo wrecked our season. Pure conjecture but I think he pissed a lot of 1st teasers off. We were on a roll (of sorts) and it seem to stop it in its tracks.

Agreed That was when we went over the cliff.

Changing personnel for a cup tie isn't that unusual.

He gets to give squad players minutes, gives a break to others and gives players opportunities. Were the team that keen to play West ham? Did it disrupt the momentum they had? Was it that fragile that, once lost, couldn't be recaptured?

Or was it something to do with personalities, like Ralph being super smug about the win? Making it clear that he could put anyone in his super tactic and get a result?

Is there another reason it would upset some players?

Or was it just that teams figured us out around the same time, and we failed to adapt?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carabao Cup 2nd Round draw - Cambridge (a)