Carabao Cup 2nd Round draw - Cambridge (a)

Pamplemousse

21 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Great draw. New ground for quite a lot of people I imagine and not too far away.

16 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yup good draw. New ground for me, but bit of a pig to get to. Trains difficult and driving never fun round m25. 

Brings back memories for me. When I was there studying engineering the chap in charge of the electrical machines lab knew that I played football and asked if I’d like to go along to the game with him that Saturday. He always did a live audio broadcast for the hospital radio and invited me to do the half time summary.

27th March 1971 Cambridge United were at home to Scunthorpe and ended up drawing 1-1. I was hopeless as a summariser but I do remember an energetic youngster (with a perm as I remember) running around for Scunthorpe and looking very lively. On 3rd May that same year a certain twenty year old Kevin Keegan signed for Liverpool for a fee of £33,000 and £50 a week.

If I can get a ticket I shall be there. The ground is 1.8 miles from the city centre or 2 miles from the station. Trains go from both Liverpool Street and Kings Cross but I shall probably spend the night in town.

• Like 6

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Brings back memories for me. When I was there studying engineering the chap in charge of the electrical machines lab knew that I played football and asked if I’d like to go along to the game with him that Saturday. He always did a live audio broadcast for the hospital radio and invited me to do the half time summary.

27th March 1971 Cambridge United were at home to Scunthorpe and ended up drawing 1-1. I was hopeless as a summariser but I do remember an energetic youngster (with a perm as I remember) running around for Scunthorpe and looking very lively. On 3rd May that same year a certain twenty year old Kevin Keegan signed for Liverpool for a fee of £33,000 and £50 a week.

If I can get a ticket I shall be there. The ground is 1.8 miles from the city centre or 2 miles from the station. Trains go from both Liverpool Street and Kings Cross but I shall probably spend the night in town.

Nice story cheers Whitey. 

if I go I’ll probably drive, trains don’t look like much fun after the game. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carabao Cup 2nd Round draw - Cambridge (a)

If you drive be careful of straying into the bus lanes, cameras are always on and fines enforced.

It's motorway all the way but probably unpleasant at rush hour on M25/lower M11.

Parking difficult near ground. Station is a good walk away but there's a Park and ride on Newmarket Rd

I'm confident of getting a ticket but not sure whether we'll be able to get in the Saints end.

All the decent pubs are in the centre 

Fast train from Kings X does it in 45 minutes which is the one to get.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nice story cheers Whitey. 

if I go I’ll probably drive, trains don’t look like much fun after the game. 

Station quite a walk from the look of it, potential for the game to go to penalties as well, I remember sheff utd away last season added on quite a bit of time getting those done. 

M25 might not be so bad at the moment in middle of the school holidays not so many people commuting 

I went to the City years ago , nice place in the summer for a day out , plenty of pubs around, shame it's a midweek game really. 

Edited by JRM

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Decent draw, can’t remember us playing Cambridge before assuming  last time was early 80s when they were in the first division briefly and a decent for a drink 

Never played them according to this ,don't even remember any friendlies 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LGTL said:

How many tickets we expecting for this? Their away end holds 1500 I think but you’d expect local interest to be high (ish) so I doubt they’ll give us that many. 

Will be plenty of tickets to go around I think, hopefully get end behind the goal and some of the terrace 

https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-two/abbey-stadium-cambridge-united.html

On 11/08/2022 at 01:27, cambsaint said:

If you drive be careful of straying into the bus lanes, cameras are always on and fines enforced.

It's motorway all the way but probably unpleasant at rush hour on M25/lower M11.

Parking difficult near ground. Station is a good walk away but there's a Park and ride on Newmarket Rd

I'm confident of getting a ticket but not sure whether we'll be able to get in the Saints end.

All the decent pubs are in the centre 

Fast train from Kings X does it in 45 minutes which is the one to get.

The Beehive Centre has 4hr parking, although not sure if there is a ‘closing time’ for parking. Do you know?

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Ticket price taking the piss for Carabao Cup round 2 , I reckon will make general sale 

Honestly other than Spurs away which sold out to Season Ticket Holders with no aways, look how comfortably Wolves and Leicester has gone to general sale… 

Culmination of factors I’m sure.

19 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Honestly other than Spurs away which sold out to Season Ticket Holders with no aways, look how comfortably Wolves and Leicester has gone to general sale… 

Home season ticket sales seem down too. Not sure how old this page is, but it’s stating that we’ve sold over 17,000.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/season-tickets

I seem to recall our best figures for season tickets was 23,000.

On 10/08/2022 at 22:22, Saint Garrett said:

Yup good draw. New ground for me, but bit of a pig to get to. Trains difficult and driving never fun round m25. 

Not too difficult by train is it ?  An hour from Kings Cross or 1:30 from Liv Street

Where are you travelling from?

9 hours ago, nta786 said:

I think Bournemouth away and perhaps Fulham away could be hard to get due to popular trips with smaller allocation but most aways this season will easily make general sale. Hard to justify spending a fortune on away days when price of a weekly food shop and tank of petrol take up more and more of the budget. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JRM said:

I think Bournemouth away and perhaps Fulham away could be hard to get due to popular trips with smaller allocation but most aways this season will easily make general sale. Hard to justify spending a fortune on away days when price of a weekly food shop and tank of petrol take up more and more of the budget. 

Yes agree with this, though i'd add Forest as selling out quite quickly too seeing as we've not played them for 10 years or so.

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Yep, but what is sadder is for Leicester we have taken an allocation of 2,254 and for Wolves we have taken the smaller allocation of 2,382.

I agree though, can expect all but those against the Big 6 clubs to make general sale. 

The Cambridge ticket office which opened for general sale today, the online facility was quoting a one hour wait all day, and when my son tried he was put on another hours wait after. I went to office this afternoon and it was all closed up. So its probably a sell out. I wanted to sit in the main stand as being a Blue badge holder I cant stand for long, and when we went to Arsenal nearly all the Saints fans stood all the way through . If it were not for the kindness of another lady and gentleman giving me their front seats I would have seen nothing.  all away fans seating again unless I could get a disabled seat at the front. The fact that the Arsehole stewards didn't care and no fit young supporters were prepared to swap seats  I had leaving it to a more mature married couple, left me with a very bad taste in the mouth. I would only sit with the Saints supporters again if I had reserved disabled front seat tickets.

the retail park next door has 4 hour parking and is accessjble for the late night Boots, I expect parking to be difficult though.

In Cambridge Blue badge holders can park free at any City Council pay meters and also in residents parking spaces .

6 hours ago, cambsaint said:

The Cambridge ticket office which opened for general sale today, the online facility was quoting a one hour wait all day, and when my son tried he was put on another hours wait after. I went to office this afternoon and it was all closed up. So its probably a sell out. I wanted to sit in the main stand as being a Blue badge holder I cant stand for long, and when we went to Arsenal nearly all the Saints fans stood all the way through . If it were not for the kindness of another lady and gentleman giving me their front seats I would have seen nothing.  all away fans seating again unless I could get a disabled seat at the front. The fact that the Arsehole stewards didn't care and no fit young supporters were prepared to swap seats  I had leaving it to a more mature married couple, left me with a very bad taste in the mouth. I would only sit with the Saints supporters again if I had reserved disabled front seat tickets.

the retail park next door has 4 hour parking and is accessjble for the late night Boots, I expect parking to be difficult though.

In Cambridge Blue badge holders can park free at any City Council pay meters and also in residents parking spaces .

Why don't you call the Saints ticket office and ask if any disabled tickets are available for Cambridge away? Most away ends / allocations have some 

9 hours ago, cambsaint said:

Seating there is unallocated so you might find it easier to move to an unobstructed seat. I am 73 and not classified as disabled but I find it quite a strain to have to stand for long periods. It’s one reason why I rarely go to away games.