Saints 0-1 Man Utd: Post Match

Saint_clark

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

When does he ever not? 🤣

It’s incredible the lengths he’ll go to, just to back up the ref’s decision. He’s there to provide an independent referee’s decision, but he can’t bear the idea of critiquing his old mates so makes some utterly absurd arguments to back them up. Today, he said a pen wasn’t given because of the proximity of the ball from the arm. I think that’s the point, Pete.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Also on my stream i had a lady commentating.  In the build up she was talking about martinez, during the game she was talking about martinez and at the end of the match she gave martinez MOM, is she a plant from Man U PR team.

Thought martinez was alright, che worked him and varane very hard, thought man u's best player was probably dalot 

I watched it in the hotel bar and was all in Italian it was the best commentary I’ve heard in long time!

• Haha 1

Thought we played a very good controlled game. Absolutely didI not deserve to lose that. Defended very well and very good in midfield.

Shouts to Djenepo, A.Armstrong, JwP, Salisu & Lavia.

But, my MoM (and new favourite player) is ABK. He is a fucking unit, quick and strong. He was the leader at the back and clearly has the tools for the very very top.

Also, surely one of those incidents should have been a penalty?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

the handball was just reviewed on BT Sport - all 3 pundits say it was handball but Peter Walton the "expert" ref making a case why it wasn't given - "close proximity" wtf

He can shove his fucking whistle in close proximity to his arsehole!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

the handball was just reviewed on BT Sport - all 3 pundits say it was handball but Peter Walton the "expert" ref making a case why it wasn't given - "close proximity" wtf

It's apparently OK to play basketball if you are a big team. Bet if we tried that you'd suddenly find a different interpretation.

• Confused 1

Loads of positives. To prevent another 'last season' we need to be picking points up against those around us come the end of the season - these sorts of games are free hits. 

I felt we were unlucky, really. Sort of game that could have gone either way. Defence looked solid. We need to be a bit more clinical and decisive around the opposition box. Certainly a lot of positives to take from that game.. 

Chin up, we move.

Frustrating watch.    Deserved at least a point, with that superb Fernandes volley and the Bazunu, ABK, KWP blocks the only real threat United offered.   Our CBs were first class today, well supported by Djenepo and Lavia, who has put JWP in the shade so far (this season) in midfield.

Che Adams worked hard, held the ball up well and Adam Armstrong was impressive with his direct running, accurate passes and good crosses.

Frustrated with Ralph today - he played Elyounoussi for the whole match last week and an hour today - how much more evidence does he need to work out that ME isn't up to standard.   Very strange decision to replace. Adam Armstrong and even stranger to pull Djenepo and Aribo for two defenders late in the match.   Nice cameo from Mara and my goodness what a bargain we have in ABK.

Just now, Baird of the land said:

It's apparently OK to play basketball if you are a big team. Bet if we tried that you'd suddenly find a different interpretation.

We already know this. Bertrand a few years back did the Van Dyjk pose and the ball brushed his arm. No hesitation that day...hmmm

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

For us, playing well and pushing Utd all the way is not enough. We need the point(s). 

Can’t help but feel it was a missed opportunity, replace the pointless Elyanoussi with someone else and we win that IMO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, obelisk said:

Haven't seen any replays of Adams reportedly getting tripped in the penalty area. Is it because it was a blatant penalty?

Yes. Mentioned earlier it was shown here in Canada. Clear as day. 

There was one other too, first half Varane two handed shove in the box...not given!

A good showing from the whole team, which could easily (and deservedly) earned us a point. As several earlier posts said ABK was outstanding and some very decent performances across the board. And as for the juggling incident, well….

Happy with the performance, frustrating not to get more from it. 

Was it the martinez one where he goes through the back of che and takes man and ball? The woman commentator loved him, kept going on about him all game and gave him motm. Apparently it wasn't a foul / pen - just robust play which she loves. 

By the way big shout out for Bella k and also for  Lavia - they are gonna be PLAYERS. and we need to enjoy them while we still have them

Just now, austsaint said:

Frustrating watch.    Deserved at least a point, with that superb Fernandes volley and the Bazunu, ABK, KWP blocks the only real threat United offered.   Our CBs were first class today, well supported by Djenepo and Lavia, who has put JWP in the shade so far (this season) in midfield.

Che Adams worked hard, held the ball up well and Adam Armstrong was impressive with his direct running, accurate passes and good crosses.

Frustrated with Ralph today - he played Elyounoussi for the whole match last week and an hour today - how much more evidence does he need to work out that ME isn't up to standard.   Very strange decision to replace. Adam Armstrong and even stranger to pull Djenepo and Aribo for two defenders late in the match.   Nice cameo from Mara and my goodness what a bargain we have in ABK.

100%

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Yes. Mentioned earlier it was shown here in Canada. Clear as day. 

There was one other too, first half Varane two handed shove in the box...not given!

The Martinez tackle?

Certainly would have liked to see that one again, defender definitely played the ball but also took out Adams with it. 

21 minutes ago, Streaky said:

What's your point? He's still a wanker proved that Monday night, constant falling over and feigning injury. 

I can't stand him. A proper cissy and a cry baby. My point, having watched our match, was how he was left unmarked, directly in front of our goal for him to score. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Agree with that. But I wouldn’t say that Lavia puts JWP in the shade, I’d say Lavia is much more naturally the defensive midfielder which gives JWP to get around the pitch a bit more, particularly in wide areas to ping crosses in. Lavia is definitely quality though.

Im hoping our formation against sides around us stays at the 4-2-3-1, but with Mara instead of Elmo. Against the better sides we may go for Romeu and Lavia with JWP slightly forward of them, though I get the feeling Romeu is totally out of favour, I just hope we don’t accept any of the supposed offer(s) for him.

ABK is a beast. He didn’t look all that on the right of a 3, he’s definitely at home in a two, felt very comfortable with him back there.

No depression here.

I would say as a team every game so far this season i think we have played better longer than the previous one.

Just need 2 pieces in my eyes, a no.10 who can score and another forward.

Am very hopeful for this team at the moment, not something i have been hopeful about for a few years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Agree with that. But I wouldn’t say that Lavia puts JWP in the shade, I’d say Lavia is much more naturally the defensive midfielder which gives JWP to get around the pitch a bit more, particularly in wide areas to ping crosses in. Lavia is definitely quality though.

Im hoping our formation against sides around us stays at the 4-2-3-1, but with Mara instead of Elmo. Against the better sides we may go for Romeu and Lavia with JWP slightly forward of them, though I get the feeling Romeu is totally out of favour, I just hope we don’t accept any of the supposed offer(s) for him.

ABK is a beast. He didn’t look all that on the right of a 3, he’s definitely at home in a two, felt very comfortable with him back there.

Yes, probably a bit harsh on JWP who is pushing forward and whipping in crosses from the right side.   Just the same, his all round outfield game this season has been below par - he had such a great partnership with Romeu, who must surely be off to Girona given his lack of any minutes since the Spurs game (Cup game excluded).

Loads of positives to take from today: 

The two centre backs looked great, with Bella-Kotchap the pick. He looks to be a fantastic proposition and hats off to our scouts for identifying him.

Lavia has fine skill and looks assured in the centre of the park - another wonderful prospect.

Although he looks miles off actually getting the ball in the net, AA put in some good work down the left, setting up a couple of good chances, including the best chance of the 2nd half for Aribo.

As a team, we looked right and compact, and defended very well - throwing their bodies on the line with the triple block. Then going forward, we showed patient build up play moving the ball with plenty of touches inside the United box.

Negatives:

Where's the cutting edge coming from against a well-drilled and tightly packed defense? For all the good build up play, we only managed to muster a handful of decent goal chances.

I was disappointed with Aribo today, as was looking forward to watching him today. I would like to see him be more direct and move the ball quicker, but I do think there's a real player in there.

JWP had a quiet day today and didn't break forward or get involved around the box enough. His delivery is key to us creating chances, and it was his dead ball delivery today where we looked most dangerous today.

3 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Yes, probably a bit harsh on JWP who is pushing forward and whipping in crosses from the right side.   Just the same, his all round outfield game this season has been below par - he had such a great partnership with Romeu, who must surely be off to Girona given his lack of any minutes since the Spurs game (Cup game excluded).

I think JWP is a player who needs a few games to get him up to full speed - I seem to recall he started last season slowly.

Before we get carried away with what we believe was a good saints performance we need to remember that before this United had lost 7 consecutive away games, this just continues our record of saints being a team you want to play when you need a win. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I think JWP is a player who needs a few games to get him up to full speed - I seem to recall he started last season slowly.

Yep you could see today he wasn’t quite at it fully, few misplaced passes, lost balls, loose touches he needs 6-7 games to get going

Still in the Gasworks having a post match pint and have to say I thought we were pretty damn good today. It was a good performance with loads of spirit, effort and some good football. The only difference between the sides was a bit more class in the final third....amazing what a bottomless pit of money can do.

We'll play a lot worse than today and win. Our back line were all excellent as well as Lavia, JWP and Adams.....team clapped off at the end which says it all.

I'm a lot more confident for the rest of the season from what I saw today

• Like 5

Before we get carried away with what we believe was a good saints performance we need to remember that before this United had lost 7 consecutive away games, this just continues our record of saints being a team you want to play when you need a win. 

We did everything right today bar score and that's what separated the teams, we need that striker that only needs one chance 

• Like 1

Yeah united are a top half team at best. Saints definitely need more cutting edge but on another day we win that, at the very least with competent unbiased officating we have a chance of levelling it from the spot.

Agreed. Disappointing to lose that though - I thought the lads played well. One thing though - did anyone else think there was a slight lack of intensity when we went one down? Like we didn't really shift up a gear until the game was almost ending?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Exactly. United were poor today, they lacked most of the intensity they showed against Liverpool last week. Saints did very well to nullify them, but United were there for the taking. They look vulnerable at the back, their midfield got bossed, and Rashford should have been made to pay for a ticket, he was a viewer all day.

United have been poor for a couple of years but it’s not really been through lack of individual quality, it’s been cohesion. Today one piece of individual quality decided the game, as it often does in games against the top sides. We were better in most areas of the pitch, we just didn’t have a Bruno Fernandes who could pick out the perfect spot from the edge of the box. We know we are lacking potency in front of goal, clearly the club do too, so we just have to hope it’s going to be addressed in the next few days. Given the way our new signings have all looked so far, i’m excited to see who we might bring in. 

11 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

No depression here.

I would say as a team every game so far this season i think we have played better longer than the previous one.

Am very hopeful for this team at the moment, not something i have been hopeful about for a few years.

I agree I thought the team was OK but without a top class striker we are going to struggle

The Man U goal was excellently taken by Fernandes what a difference he would make to our team

17 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

No depression here.

Just saying the same thing.

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 0-1 Man Utd: Post Match
  • Jimmy_D pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic