Saints 0-1 Man Utd: Post Match

Saint_clark

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

How many points does that get us?

What's that got to do with anything? There's loads of games we've played shit and won and vice versa. Playing well and losing bodes well for the rest of the season. Never want to lose but this is contrasted with the spurs loss where we looked horrendous. 

• Like 1

That was a decent performance despite the result. Some real highlights with the younger players, especially ABK and Lavia. Liked how AA played. Think Aribo needs to get going. 

Add a striker, AMN and maybe a CB and CM and its should be a good season. 

And Tino to come back at sometime. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm still waiting to see that trip on Adams in the box again. Can't believe there was only 6 minutes stoppage time given the number of stoppages. I don't think the refs are biased but I do think they made some poor decisions.

Mara has to start for me. He makes things happen.

Just now, coalman said:

I'm still waiting to see that trip on Adams in the box again. Can't believe there was only 6 minutes stoppage time given the number of stoppages. I don't think the refs are biased but I do think they made some poor decisions.

That stoppage where Adams and Armstrong went down then Ronaldo went down after was 5 minutes by itself. Factor in 30 seconds for each sub and the goal and we should have seen at least 8 minutes.

Plenty of positives and lots to admire in our performance. Thought we were worth a point overall. ABK superb as was Lavia. Djenepo did really well at full back. Mara was lively and had two great attempts. Disappointments for me were KWP and JWP who both can play better. If we have a good finish to the transfer window who knows - think we need a striker and a creative midfielder more than anything after watching today's game. Good effort lads against a side that costs millions.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, benjii said:

Not enough quality in the final third. Need to get rid of Elyounoussi, get Mara in the team and, ideally, sign another forward.

Exactly that. Played well overall but never really seriously threatened. Ely did ok but for him that's outstanding. Ain't good enough, never has been never will be.

5 minutes ago, coalman said:

They showed it on fuboTV here. It was a foul that you see given in most games each week. We were totally jobbed by the ref and VAR. Two clear penalties and only 6 minutes stoppage for at least 10 minutes of time lost.

Edited by OttawaSaint

19 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Then why wasn't a penalty given? And please don't say anything about cheating officials!

Why do you think it wasn't given, baring in mind we've already established it doesn't need to be intentional? 

Do you genuinely believe there's ZERO bias from the FA hired and trained officials towards the sides that generate them the most revenue? 

If you're a referee, even on VAR, and you have to make a decision that's going to be debatable and piss people off then you're more likely to make the decision that pisses less people off aren't you. 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

A game when we’ve looked really good defensively, really good going forward, but just not clinical enough to even get the ball on target. De Gea really hasn’t been made to work, despite us dominating large parts of the game.

Yep agree with that. Didn’t really do enough to win it but didn’t deserve to lose either. De Gea had one save to make which was right at him. Adams is great at holding the ball up and bringing others in but doesn’t get in behind enough. Arguably could have had a penalty but we really didn’t threaten very much 

Can’t blame Ralph for starting with that team aside from Elyanoussi who didn’t effect the game whatsoever and surprised he stayed on as long as he did. But in hindsight an extra body up front to get at them would have made a difference, they were vulnerable when we got at them but too often Adams was isolated up front. 

thought A Armstrong looked a threat out wide and that two centre halves looked excellent, pace power and ability on the ball. Love the look of Mara too, looks a class act and will be a player once he’s settled in

as I said above good to see Mctominney getting bullied losing out physically a few times too often in the past that’s been us

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

They showed it on fuboTV here. It was a foul that you see given in most games each week. We were totally jobbed by the ref and VAR. Two clear penalties and only 6 minutes stoppage for at least 10 minutes of time lost.

I guarantee you'll never see it in any highlights here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Why do you think it wasn't given, baring in mind we've already established it doesn't need to be intentional? 

Do you genuinely believe there's ZERO bias from the FA hired and trained officials towards the sides that generate them the most revenue? 

If you're a referee, even on VAR, and you have to make a decision that's going to be debatable and piss people off then you're more likely to make the decision that pisses less people off aren't you. 

Of the 3 times he handled the ball the first one the arm wasn’t in the natural silhouette, the second probably ok as Adams was jostling with him and the 3rd didn’t he just flick it away? 

Just now, MAY-Z said:

Of the 3 times he handled the ball the first one the arm wasn’t in the natural silhouette, the second probably ok as Adams was jostling with him and the 3rd didn’t he just flick it away? 

The third one is the killer. I'll even concede the first two are at best debatable, but the third one he swipes it away from the saints player to a united player.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MAY-Z said:

The first especially was hand to ball

Lost that in the first ten minutes of the second half when we didn't get out of the dressing room. Poor mentality to half ass it until pricked into action. 

Aside from that we competed really well.

Desperate lack of quality going forward though. That we're throwing on Lyanco to play centre forward and playing hit and hope sums it up.

I think a creative player is even more important to bring in than a striker. Having Elyounoussi and an out of position Adam Armstrong trying to open up defences is not a sustainable approach. Aribo might be an awkward set of limbs, but I've seen nothing to suggest he's a creator.

Defended well generally. There's a good partnership to be developed between Bella-Kotchap and Salisu. Djenepo put in another manful shift. Lavia is a brilliant player - he's outshone Ward-Prowse in midfield every week so far.

Disappointed not to get a point, but not a total disaster. 

8 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

He is a wanker who was left unmarked in front of goal and given the chance to score by 5 of our players. 

What's your point? He's still a wanker proved that Monday night, constant falling over and feigning injury. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

thought A Armstrong looked a threat out wide and that two centre halves looked excellent, pace power and ability on the ball. Love the look of Mara too, looks a class act and will be a player once he’s settled in

as I said above good to see Mctominney getting bullied losing out physically a few times too often in the past that’s been us

Yeah, all Saints players (apart from Moi) did well but Armstrong stood out, looked very busy and set up Aribo’s header. Mara seems like a class act, hopefully he’s up to speed and able to start soon.

McTominay is really not that good and got exposed for what he is today. To be fair, Lavia was excellent, such a cool head and so often in the right place.

We are definitely missing a clinical striker. Adams does a job but today showed what he about, gets in good positions but not able to finish. I get the feeling our transfer business is done and we will end up being overly reliant on players like Aribo, Mara, and the Armstrongs for goals from behind a lone striker.

• Like 1

Like others have said, a really pleasing performance, especially from the new lads. On another day we get something from that game.

And hopefully our shyness in front of goal adds to the pressure to sign a CF this week. On the flip side, we were so solid defensively I wonder if we just played ourselves out of any further defensive recruitment...

Played well, undone by the one bit of quality they produced.

Half time was a shambles though. Had to listen to wall to wall fucking Oasis on the tannoy and then Sammy Saint made a poor effort to save the first shot in the relay and got nutmeged.

• Haha 1

Also on my stream i had a lady commentating.  In the build up she was talking about martinez, during the game she was talking about martinez and at the end of the match she gave martinez MOM, is she a plant from Man U PR team.

Thought martinez was alright, che worked him and varane very hard, thought man u's best player was probably dalot 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 0-1 Man Utd: Post Match
  • Jimmy_D pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic