Saints 0-1 Man Utd: Post Match

Saint_clark

Just back from the game - jeez it was baking in the Northam today. Thought we were very unlucky not to get a draw as we matched them in many areas and ultimately could have won if (a) we had a striker and/or a AM that can remain composed in front of goal and score and (b) the referee team had an electronic system that could pickup nailed on handballs in the box to award a penalty (especially when a Man Utd player handballs three times in the same play). Whadayamean we have that already? 😏😉

All players deserve credit for putting in a big shift in blistering heat, however there are two players that I thought were behind the pace today.  JWP is notably slower than our new youngster players Aribo, Lavia, Salisu and ABK and at times that stunts our attacking moves. He also made some uncharacteristic poor passes today. Adam Armstrong works like a Trojan, but he’s just not doing enough to pose a goal or assist threat and justify a start. Think he might be a better option as a sub.

In a nutshell, we need a stunning last few days of transfer window to make this a decent season.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Can the mods please come in and clean up the match threads(really 4 man u threads)

This was the point that was made, the mods aren’t likely to be around during match day to close down threads and start new ones, so multiple threads are always going to end up as a mess.

• Like 2

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 0-1 Man Utd: Post Match
  • Jimmy_D pinned this topic
1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

why do we need 3 different posts to discuss a game 🤷‍♂️ 

for someone with limited brain power like myself its hard to keep track of it. Was enjoying the match thread convos too

we were all happy with everything in 1 thread.  Then someone stamped their feet

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Frustrated but don’t feel annoyed after that given the performance. 

We really need to sign a winger to replace Elyounoussi who once again was dire. ABK and Lavia both excellent. Mara’s cameo was nice as well.

Elyounoussi was not dire his through pass to Adams was top class

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Can the mods please come in and clean up the match threads(really 4 man u threads)

I don't remember 4 threads on the same game being part of the poll. 

I bet they don't have to put up with this on the Ugly Inside.

14 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

that was good, the rest today and the game last week was poor

He was not poor he was better than Stuart Armstrong who was completely ineffectual 

What do you expect Mo  to do  which he did not do today 

• Like 1

Just got back.  Was the handball referred to VAR?  Looked like a nailed on penalty to me.

Something needs to be done to deter pricks like McTominay and Rashford getting the game stop for fake head injuries.

They should have to leave the field for 5 minutes for a proper concussion check.

• Like 1

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

Just got back.  Was the handball referred to VAR?  Looked like a nailed on penalty to me.

Something needs to be done to deter pricks like McTominay and Rashford getting the game stop for fake head injuries.

They should have to leave the field for 5 minutes for a proper concussion check.

No, they referred it to Billy Smart instead and, having looked at it briefly, he decided he'd like McTominay in his circus as the lead juggler.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Yes, it was.

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Yes, commentary said they did a VAR check on it while play continued.

Listening to Peter Walton continue to waffle on about why it wasn’t a penalty just makes me have no faith whatsoever in referees. No wonder zero English refs were selected for the VAR team at the World Cup, the euros showed us that our lot are completely useless compared to their European peers.

• Like 3

Posting before reading thread. Thought we deserved a draw at least. Played well against a not-very-impressive Man Utd team. Lots of endeavour, good possession after we conceded - just needed a finish. Still light up top. Che and Djenepo outstanding. Mara has something about him. Salisu and Ketchup an excellent centre-back pairing.  Lost by an exceptional goal...tough. We will beat other teams if we play like this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In defence of Ely, he is the only player we have who tries to play passes forward. His pass to Adams (where Adams should have scored) was the pass of the match. 

Last week he played the pass through to Mara where he was offside. Against Leeds he played the pass to Armstrong that almost put him through. Nobody else we have makes these passes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

In defence of Ely, he is the only player we have who tries to play passes forward. His pass to Adams (where Adams should have scored) was the pass of the match. 

Last week he played the pass through to Mara where he was offside. Against Leeds he played the pass to Armstrong that almost put him through. Nobody else we have makes these passes. 

Agreed - he’s nowhere near as bad as some make out, he’s just not very exciting. He also moved the ball out to the right to KWP for Che’s second last week. He often knits a lot of our attacking play together which I think is why Ralph keeps him in the team, keeps the ball moving, doesn’t often lose possession.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Frustrated but don’t feel annoyed after that given the performance. 

We really need to sign a winger to replace Elyounoussi who once again was dire. ABK and Lavia both excellent. Mara’s cameo was nice as well.

What does he see in Elyounoussi that we cant see?. Baffles me and he shows no sign of improvement imo,and not a great work rate either. Other new signings are doing better than expected.Btw glad to see A.Armstrong getting a good run in the team.

• Sad 1

Not often I leave St Mary's after losing and pleased , well ok you know what I mean !! but so many positives to take from today.   Thought all our new signings were really good. Adam Armstrong really starting to look the part as well, just needs a few goals. 

Shame the Utd idiots got in with the flares, so much for the searching the bags, poor ball boy in front of them nearly choked . !!!

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1

It's a weird thing to say, but that's how you 'lose' a game. With a bit more 'star quality' at the top end we get at least a point in my opinion. That game just showed up our attacking limitations for all to see.

On the positives - defensively. Off the ball we were excellent, through midfield at the two CB's in particular. ABK is just a beast. There were posts on here of people wanting us to sign a 'beast of a CB' - errr, we have one. The bloke is going to the top. His recovery pace aligned with Salisu makes us look so more solid, Salisu looks much better for it too as he doesn't have to cover two positions. 

Lavia is a superstar. His touch and confidence in tight spaces, at 18 years old, is a sight to behold. There was a point in the 2nd half where he was surrounded by 3 united players, but he still asked for the ball, got it and managed to move it forward. I really, really love this kid. A couple of years here tops, but we're going to enjoy him I think.

Now onto the struggle. I thought Adams did the support stuff well, made good runs, uses his physicality to good effect....but there is no quality running off of him to really profit from that. Adam Armstrong is a good runner and got wide a few times, but we just don't have anyone at the moment who I can consistently trust to put the ball in the back of the net. I think Ralph feels the same given the sub of Lyanco in the final stages.

Overall it wasn't a bad showing. Typical against the big sides really, give it a good go but they somehow manage to nick it. Lots to be positive about, but equally a lot to remedy at the top end if we are to do anything of note this year.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a weird thing to say, but that's how you 'lose' a game. With a bit more 'star quality' at the top end we get at least a point in my opinion. That game just showed up our attacking limitations for all to see.

On the positives - defensively. Off the ball we were excellent, through midfield at the two CB's in particular. ABK is just a beast. There were posts on here of people wanting us to sign a 'beast of a CB' - errr, we have one. The bloke is going to the top. His recovery pace aligned with Salisu makes us look so more solid, Salisu looks much better for it too as he doesn't have to cover two positions. 

Lavia is a superstar. His touch and confidence in tight spaces, at 18 years old, is a sight to behold. There was a point in the 2nd half where he was surrounded by 3 united players, but he still asked for the ball, got it and managed to move it forward. I really, really love this kid. A couple of years here tops, but we're going to enjoy him I think.

Now onto the struggle. I thought Adams did the support stuff well, made good runs, uses his physicality to good effect....but there is no quality running off of him to really profit from that. Adam Armstrong is a good runner and got wide a few times, but we just don't have anyone at the moment who I can consistently trust to put the ball in the back of the net. I think Ralph feels the same given the sub of Lyanco in the final stages.

Overall it wasn't a bad showing. Typical against the big sides really, give it a good go but they somehow manage to nick it. Lots to be positive about, but equally a lot to remedy at the top end if we are to do anything of note this year.

To be fair to Ralph bringing on a centre back to play up front and hope someone gets on the end of a knock down is a well used ploy. Don't think he was expecting Lyanco to score - just wanted him to wreak a bit of havoc because we weren't winning many aerial battles up front.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

To be fair to Ralph bringing on a centre back to play up front and hope someone gets on the end of a knock down is a well used ploy. Don't think he was expecting Lyanco to score - just wanted him to wreak a bit of havoc because we weren't winning many aerial battles up front.

That's what I mean, he's turning to a CB to create that havoc because we don't have that 'threat' up front height wise. I'm pretty sure we're going to get a 'tall' striker, it would give us much more of a threat.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I find myself agreeing with 99% of everything you post these past couple of months 😅

Couldn’t have said it better.

• Like 1

Proud of the effort today, bar jwp most were at least an 8-10 for effort, clinical finishing was all that separated us really! Rumors that AA may still go on a loan to Watford, that may the best option for the club as things stand, tries hard but not quite there for him at the moment, again strange to bring on defenders when one nil down but maybe he thought Lyanco would add presence in their box 

26 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bang on the money post. We are two players away from being a very decent outfit in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Proud of the effort today, bar jwp most were at least an 8-10 for effort, clinical finishing was all that separated us really! Rumors that AA may still go on a loan to Watford, that may the best option for the club as things stand, tries hard but not quite there for him at the moment, again strange to bring on defenders when one nil down but maybe he thought Lyanco would add presence in their box 

Not seen that rumour for about two months?

2 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

What's up with our pitch btw? Looked really cut-up and patchy - not the perfect billiard table felt it usually is. Fubo commentators saying something about diseased grass? Will work against us as a footballing team if we don't fix it.

Yeah I noticed that, it looked like a really poor surface. Not much grass in some parts either (a bit brown/torn up). Ball didn't look like it flowed particularly well in some areas.

I guess we haven't had the chance to rip up the pitch for a couple of years though, the short post-covid pre-season didn't give us enough time, and this summer we had the womens football and concerts. That surface is probably a year beyond it's sell by date.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Bang on the money post. We are two players away from being a very decent outfit in my opinion.

It sounds simple, but it really could be as straight forward as that! We have our star quality at the back, CM and full back (KWP), we just need that star quality in the 10's and as a striker. Then we can be in and around the Top half. This week will make or break our season though, it'll be frustrating not to compliment what is a really decent 60% of a side with the 40% extra quality we need at the top end.

In games like today, you can defend well and shut the door (as we did pretty well), but just having that game changing attacker makes all the difference. This league is all about the moments and taking the opportunities when you get them, and we do get them, we just don't take them frequently enough.

7 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

What's up with our pitch btw? Looked really cut-up and patchy - not the perfect billiard table felt it usually is. Fubo commentators saying something about diseased grass? Will work against us as a footballing team if we don't fix it.

BT sport said the grass has a virus and the grounds staff are treating it.

1 hour ago, Boris Karloff said:

Much like Redmond when he plays and then gets destroyed by fans. We'll miss his assists when he's gone. In no world is Ely a better choice than Redders.

Edited by jabei
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

BT sport said the grass has a virus and the grounds staff are treating it.

At the Leeds game the pitch looked ok , then at the Ladies game the weekend after it was notable how scabby it looked, then today back in our usual seats you could see it had gotten a little worse. When fixing grass it always looks worse before improving.

Few golf courses locally battling the same virus, but most catching it early, as the greens are treated like new born baby’s plus - they don’t need some of the more sarky members in their ears - grass is a science. 

1 hour ago, John B said:

He was not poor he was better than Stuart Armstrong who was completely ineffectual 

What do you expect Mo  to do  which he did not do today 

Agree you can polish a turd but it's still a turd.

Stu has been bang average as well but Mo has played 60mins more than stu.

To be honest I'm nit picking, Moi was good last year which was a great year for him, I'm just frustrated primarily with all our no.10s.

10 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Agree you can polish a turd but it's still a turd.

Stu has been bang average as well but Mo has played 60mins more than stu.

To be honest I'm nit picking, Moi was good last year which was a great year for him, I'm just frustrated primarily with all our no.10s.

At his best Stu stretches play, makes space and creates things. At his worst he holds the ball too long and gives it away.

At his best Moi is tidy and occasionally can finish. His creative output is low though. At his worst he's anonymous.

And this is, for me, why Mara should be picked ahead of both right now. He is positive and seems fearless.

Throw in Redmond who at his best is game changing but is maddeningly inconsistent. And Tella who is fast but raw.

Right now Aribo stands out as our best attacking midfielder with Adam A 2nd on today's showing.

• Like 1