The Cody Gakpo Transfer Saga Thread

Saint Garrett

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Feeling like we may be being used to get him a bumper new contract there.

Except there's no way you would interpret those comments if that was one of our players linked with a move away.

Reads precisely like he's going.  

Edited by CB Fry

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Except there's no way you would interpret those comments if that was one of our players linked with a move away.

Reads precisely like he's going.  

Maybe but gakpo’s comments on not being able to answer whether it was his last game and it being a moment of truth can easily be read as make it worth my while to stay.

16 minutes ago, Mallagroth said:

It’s the hope that kills us being saints supporters. The old adage… ‘If something seems too good to be true…’

Indeed. When it drags on like this u lose a bit of hope really. In many ways it would be better if these things just never came out. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Indeed. When it drags on like this u lose a bit of hope really. In many ways it would be better if these things just never came out. 

That’s why I was so surprised that Adam Blackmore tweeted about it earlier, basically saying it’s all but done…! 

We’ll find out by EOP tomorrow but I’d be pissed off if we lost out to Leeds. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If the money was good, he would be sold.  If the money is actually good, and he is keen to play for us, he would be sold.

Something is not quite right it seems

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If the money was good, he would be sold.  If the money is actually good, and he is keen to play for us, he would be sold.

Something is not quite right it seems

Make up your mind, in the course of 4 mins you’ve gone from “it’s not happening, last minute issue” to the more edge your bets “something is not quite right it seems”

Truth being like the rest of us you just don’t know !

Just now, beatlesaint said:

Make up your mind, in the course of 4 mins you’ve gone from “it’s not happening, last minute issue” to the more edge your bets “something is not quite right it seems”

Ben Brereton-Diaz

Just now, beatlesaint said:

To be fair I'm not sure he claimed to ever know anything. 

9 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

That’s why I was so surprised that Adam Blackmore tweeted about it earlier, basically saying it’s all but done…! 

We’ll find out by EOP tomorrow but I’d be pissed off if we lost out to Leeds. 

It's gutting to have seemingly got so close and then to lose out partly because a big statement signing like this would seem to herald a new kind of era for us. It's still a good window if we miss out but it coukd have been an amazing one. Not over yet but it does feel less likely now. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's gutting to have seemingly got so close and then to lose out partly because a big statement signing like this would seem to herald a new kind of era for us. It's still a good window if we miss out but it coukd have been an amazing one. Not over yet but it does feel less likely now. 

if we don't improve the forward players, and that means someone who is clearly good enough to be good from day 1, then we will likely 'sean dyche' our way through the season.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don’t know, SR have carried on the Saints way (one of the better ones) of doing things in more of a quiet way and I can’t see them finding PSV’s auction tactics to raise immediate funds very edifying. I wouldn’t be surprised if it suits them as a smokscreen behind which to be working on another advanced big winger/striker/10 deal in the background or to have personal terms agreed with a few players in that space. The new DoF operates differently and SR will know that not recruiting that area is a huge risk as the chance creation/finishing is still not fully PL standard. 

Edited by saint1977
Grammar

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

if we don't improve the forward players, and that means someone who is clearly good enough to be good from day 1, then we will likely 'sean dyche' our way through the season.

I don't think we will be going down with the players we have and I still think we'll get someone alright on loan by the end of tomorrow if we lose out on Gakpo. The season will be a little bit meh imo even if meh is an upgrade on where we were previously. 

Just now, saint1977 said:

I don’t know, SR have carried on the Saints way (one of the better ones) of doing things in more of a quiet way and I can’t see them liking PSV’s auction tactics to raise immediate funds very edifying. I wouldn’t be surprised if it suits them as a smokscreen behind which to be working on another advanced big winger/striker/10 deal in the background or to have personal terms agreed with a few players in that space. The new DoF operates differently and SR will know that not recruiting that area is a huge risk as the chance creation/finishing is still not fully PL standard. 

No offence to you but imo that's bollocks. We aren't using it as a smokescreen we have clearly really badly wanted this player. It's not some sort of tactic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

No offence to you but imo that's bollocks. We aren't using it as a smokescreen we have clearly really badly wanted this player. It's not some sort of tactic. 

Why do we have so many fans who think we are sort of club who lurks in the transfer shadows, implementing the dark arts to keep things quiet?

• Haha 2