The Cody Gakpo Transfer Saga Thread

Saint Garrett

7 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I'd like to think we are still firmly in the race to get Gakpo considering yesterday evening it was reported that we had a agreed a fee with PSV and that the player wants to come. 

It's done and dusted, time to forget this one for everyone's sanity!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Interesting that Leeds still think they have a chance with Gakpo...maybe we also do...

image.png.345e7acc3b94df3857b7447efa0502ff.png

I really think we need to forget this one. If the Leeds chairman is tweeting this I reckon they think they've got a good chance to get him in January after the WC, and only aren't getting him now because the visionary Van Gaal thought that playing in the Premier League wouldn't be a good idea for Gakpo. Nice while it lasted, move on. 

I'd be happy to proven wrong though!

Just now, LaptopSaint said:

I really think we need to forget this one. If the Leeds chairman is tweeting this I reckon they think they've got a good chance to get him in January after the WC, and only aren't getting him now because the visionary Van Gaal thought that playing in the Premier League wouldn't be a good idea for Gakpo. Nice while it lasted, move on. 

I'd be happy to proven wrong though!

Interestingly, looks like Dieng is now off to Nice too...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

I'd like to think we are still firmly in the race to get Gakpo considering yesterday evening it was reported that we had a agreed a fee with PSV and that the player wants to come. 

Couldn't reply because I ran out of messages..

He's gone. He was gone yesterday evening as soon as LVG got involved. Maybe we can be more prepared in the winter transfer window and beat Leeds to it? Although I've gotten over Gakpo now. The only reason I would like us to go for him in the winter is because I hate the idea of Leeds getting him.

Doubt the club will go for him unless everything is 100% right. No overpaying. Which is why they're in charge of the club and I'm not lol.

Just gonna ignore the thread now. Nothing more to be done here.

• Like 1

Been in work meetings most of the afternoon so I'm a little out of the loop here. Have PSV / Gakpo himself officially announced he is staying? I can't see it anywhere if so.

If not then it seems to have gone awfully quiet since this morning's 2nd hand reports. Could that suggest there is still something going on in the background?

Good, in depth article in The Athletic about the last few days.

Summary: if he had gone anywhere on Thursday it would have been to Leeds, who offered a higher fee and personal terms.

Ultimately Van Gaal talked him out of a move.

My opinion: highly unlikely we will revisit this one.

• Like 4

Netherlands forward Cody Gakpo, 23, will sign a bumper new contract at PSV Eindhoven after interest from Manchester United, Leeds United and Southampton this summer. (Eindhovens Dagblad - in Dutch)

Gakpo thought he was leaving PSV for Manchester United until the last week of the transfer window. (90min)

He should have checked Saintsweb !

I hope we don't waste any more time and effort trying again for him in January. Looks like he's happy to sit it out at PSV until an elite club comes in for him.

Even if we could somehow convince him and PSV to do a deal, I get the sense his heart wouldn't really be in it and it could turn out to be a very expensive mistake.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I hope we don't waste any more time and effort trying again for him in January. Looks like he's happy to sit it out at PSV until an elite club comes in for him.

Even if we could somehow convince him and PSV to do a deal, I get the sense his heart wouldn't really be in it and it could turn out to be a very expensive mistake.

This.

Pretty obvious now that he didn't want to come to us or any club like us. He doesn't need to, his next step will be a CL level club (or Man United, virtually the same thing). He does not need a season or two poncing about at a 14th place Premier League club.

He's signing a new contract which is great for PSV but in reality it means one more season and he'll be sold next year. But not to us or or bloody Leeds. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

This.

Pretty obvious now that he didn't want to come to us or any club like us. He doesn't need to, his next step will be a CL level club (or Man United, virtually the same thing). He does not need a season or two poncing about at a 14th place Premier League club.

He's signing a new contract which is great for PSV but in reality it means one more season and he'll be sold next year. But not to us or or bloody Leeds. 

I mentioned during the time that if he wanted to actually come to Saints, he would have pushed to do so and not play the other night.

Had united offered the exact same package to the player & club, he probably would have gone on strike to force the move.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cody Gakpo transfer saga has had yet another turn. Technical director John de Jong has been sacked by the board because he refused to sell Gakpo. Apparently PSV need money after investing and missing out on CL football. 

Will we go back in January and put an offer in for Gakpo? 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Kucho said:

The Cody Gakpo transfer saga has had yet another turn. Technical director John de Jong has been sacked by the board because he refused to sell Gakpo. Apparently PSV need money after investing and missing out on CL football. 

Will we go back in January and put an offer in for Gakpo? 

Yeah it was a weird one, i posted a link or mentioned their financial results last year and they really needed champs league this year to get them back into profit and they didnt sell either gakpo or sangarre and brought in el ghazi.

Am really not sure if he will start either for NL, competition is fierce for these positions, bergwin, depay, berghuis etc 

"On the final day of the last transfer window, the PSV management would have received "an urgent and compelling request" from the supervisory board (SB) to sell Gakpo. The supervisory board reportedly made it clear that either Gakpo or midfielder Ibrahim Sangaré had to be sold in view of the finances.

The 23-year-old Gakpo was in the final days of the transfer market in the explicit interest of Southampton and Leeds United, among others. But the bids were too low to sell the attacker, according to the management.

Reportedly, De Jong received the support of general director Marcel Brands and commercial director Frans Janssen in the decision not to sell Gakpo.

Part of PSV's supervisory board is said to be "very displeased" about the management's conduct. 45-year-old De Jong has not yet been fired, but there is "a breach of trust on both sides". The director is also reportedly accused of stagnating PSV's sporting progress under him."

17 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He could end up being like Promes - who I think went on to get arrested.

He was arrested and released a few days later but remains a suspect. 

He was arrested for stabbing a family member in his leg at a party just south of Amsterdam. After that Ajax sold him to Spartak Moscow. 
Promes has also been linked to a gang that smuggles cocaine.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

He was arrested and released a few days later but remains a suspect. 

He was arrested for stabbing a family member in his leg at a party just south of Amsterdam. After that Ajax sold him to Spartak Moscow. 
Promes has also been linked to a gang that smuggles cocaine.

Jhon Viafara was arrested in the US a few years back for smuggling cocaine.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

What's come out?

Not sure which thread it was on but there is an piece from the athletic alluding to things not looking rosy behind the scenes, pretty much  backed up by JWPs comments on the weekend that standards have slipped and things not being right before the season kicked off. 

We didn't lose out on Gakpo and Ramos because of poor negotiation. We lost out on them because, rightly, they both concluded they were already better than us. The clue there is in the fact that Gakpo got bought by Liverpool five months later and Ramos is already among the most sought after strikers in Europe after lighting up the Champion's League and World Cup.

The failure of management was in not targeting realistic options and being left with nothing at the end of the summer window and Tall Paul at the last minute of the January window. We've been shit for three or four years - it was absurd arrogance to assume that the lure of the PL alone would be enough.

Edited by verlaine1979
  • Like 4

On 15/05/2023 at 21:22, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The serious rot had set in with Ralph, not helped with his announcement that he was going to walk away in 2024 anyway. All the Ralph cultists need to understand he started this demise. The players hated him and that in itself is enough to doom you. 

Is that based on fact or opinion?! Seems to be wide of the mark from what I’ve heard…don’t think there is any doubt that he wasn’t everyone’s best friend but to say “the players hated him” is just plain wrong from what I know.

• Like 1