The Cody Gakpo Transfer Saga Thread

Saint Garrett

Drama queens. If it happens - great. If it doesn’t it’s still been a good window. 😅

Christ almighty there is more to life than football. 

The #saintsfc on Twitter tonight is full of teenagers having a meltdown over this led by the child ITK’s 😴

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

I don’t know, SR have carried on the Saints way (one of the better ones) of doing things in more of a quiet way and I can’t see them finding PSV’s auction tactics to raise immediate funds very edifying. I wouldn’t be surprised if it suits them as a smokscreen behind which to be working on another advanced big winger/striker/10 deal in the background or to have personal terms agreed with a few players in that space. The new DoF operates differently and SR will know that not recruiting that area is a huge risk as the chance creation/finishing is still not fully PL standard. 

As far as I am aware. Ramos was the smokescreen for this one…

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

No offence to you but imo that's bollocks. We aren't using it as a smokescreen we have clearly really badly wanted this player. It's not some sort of tactic. 

As the club really wanted James Maddison and Quincy Promes. All I’m saying is that transfer activity has been miles better under SR and that the Les Reed ‘oh well, we tried’ I don’t think will be the outcome either way. If we have alternative/s which adds some pace, half a dozen goals in that position it keeps us in the league for a good fee then hopefully the farm isn’t resting on recruiting one player in that key area. It might be that PSV get an offer for Sangare and don’t sell Gapko. It doesn’t suit the SR business model being in a public auction but Gapko might have made a connection with Shields or Ralph and decide to join despite Leeds seeming interest. 

15 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why do we have so many fans who think we are sort of club who lurks in the transfer shadows, implementing the dark arts to keep things quiet?

We are just so different and special with our transfer dealings compared to every other club. You never hear about our dealings in public and we have multiple decoys that we plant in the media to obscure our real dealings. We are geniuses. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Drama queens. If it happens - great. If it doesn’t it’s still been a good window. 😅

Christ almighty there is more to life than football. 

The #saintsfc on Twitter tonight is full of teenagers having a meltdown over this led by the child ITK’s 😴

Yeah Twitter is very, very annoying at the moment. Some of our fans need to grow up

• Like 1

If (and still a decent IF) this falls through then we  really can’t blame the club. I think the moment we moved away from 2 up top to 1 we changed our primary focus from a ST (Delap?) to a goal scoring No 10. Gakpo might not have even started off as the main target, but ended up being so given PSV’s lack of Europe progression and estimated value that was within our budget. By all accounts we have negotiated and met the asking price. Maybe PSV never thought any club would match the value as it feels they were not prepared for this tonight hence the sudden new contract offer and the lack of a last minute replacement bid.

The positives I am hanging onto - by accounts his contract extension in January was with an understanding he could move on in the summer if an accepted bid came in. I think his comments post match tonight support this. Of course this does not have to be us, but according to Blackmore’s contacts he is not against joining us. 2nd positive is that no other club has made a firm offer. I am sure he is on the watch list of numerous clubs, with Leeds being the key challenge but everything suggests they need to sell 1st and I can’t see Gakpo holding out for a Leeds bid in case they do. 
The unnerving feelings - this Chelsea bid for their midfielder, but then tomorrow Chelsea will be bidding for everyone. Also I feel PSV are reading Daniel Levy’s book in being an arse at transfer deals and are moving goal posts at each stage…

Either way if this falls down I am sure we have alternatives but whether we would attempt them on the last day we will soon find out.. I worry that in the current formation our 10’s are acting as inside forwards, and we are light - btw fair play to A Armstrong in claiming a strong shout for 1 of the places. 

• Like 1

I did wonder why even when the news came out last night about us agreeing a fee, Leeds we’re still favourites to sign him with the bookies. Now I know how the odds work, but for ppl putting money on Leeds desire barely being linked, would be strange. 

Let’s see how this plays out. Would be gutting to lose him from here. 

I've not seen a bunch of people on a forum analysing flights this bad since I was on the Cardiff Forum when they lost Sala. 

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Que Sera Sera and all that. I have more faith in our current leadership than I've had in a long time and they seem to know what they're doing. 

Remember Leeds' have to sell to buy and that's not happening either. We're in a much better position.  

Yes I've woken up positive this morning despite a bad night being ill. AMN will happen, the City boys will happen, Badé will happen and Gakpo? We'll see but the club haven't done us wrong in this window yet. (Personally if it falls through we should go for Ismaila Sarr. IMO)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Sounds like he's staying at PSV

The story has changed several times already over the last hour mate. Who knows what'll happen by the end of the day. If we don't get the lad, we'll have a plan b. 

• Like 1