New Manager

Bakovnetski

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Surely Sam Allardyce has to at least be considered. Unless you prefer pretty football over actually staying up.

Agreed. The pretty stuff comes next season. Unless we have to go for just 'big blokes' in the Championship.

Just now, egg said:

Like it or not Brighton are a more attractive proposition than us at the moment. They have a great squad, they buy well, and are not half way through the trap door to potential waste ground that is the championship. He's also shown himself above that level. Not a snowballs chance in hell of us getting Potter. 

True. They have been for ages. Well run, throughout the club. And an owner who can play the 'stats' properly.

48 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I'm not sure why people think Potter is absolutely out of the question. We're a comparable club to Brighton, and having struggled after stepping up to a Top 6 team, why would he not want to return to more comfortable territory? We would still represent a Premier League Managerial Job, although I of course concur that a Championship club is a far tougher sell.

That's not how managers build careers. Once you step up a level, you do everything in your power to avoid going back down to where you came from. And if Potter gets sacked, he'll have at least a year or more on full salary to wait for an appropriate job to come up at somewhere like Spurs or Arsenal when Arteta gets poached.

It's the same reason Tuchel was never, ever coming to us after managing Dortmund. Lo and behold, he managed to resist the allure of mid-to-lower-table Premier League and took over at PSG.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Leftfield as they come, but if Saints are looking at a former star player with a credible managerial record to come in and mentor Selles on a short term deal maybe have a chat with Gattuso. Just left Valencia by mutual consent with a 57% win average and could be kicking his heels down to May. Also, would likely nut Ankersen if negotiations break down.  No chance of course, but if the Ramusbots are tuning in got to be worth an email…😀

He’d cause a few sparks to fly, and a few fits of outrage from the woke brigade. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I choose death

None of the above. Selles has done nothing whatsoever to even be in the discussion. The others just aren't up to it, although I do think there's potentially a very good manager in Rooney. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Juice said:

Jesus Christ, have some integrity, man 

Bolton - Took from The Championship to Europe
West Ham - Promotion and solid midtable stability
Sunderland - Came in when they were dead and buried and saved them
Palace -  Came in when they were dead and buried and saved them
Everton - Came in during a relegation battle, took them to 8th
West Brom - Came in when they were dead and buried, unable to save them but actually installed a bit of fight (hence their game against us when they won 3-0)

We're rapidly running out of options here. I'm struggling to see anyone (realistically) better...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Bolton - Took from The Championship to Europe
West Ham - Promotion and solid midtable stability
Sunderland - Came in when they were dead and buried and saved them
Palace -  Came in when they were dead and buried and saved them
Everton - Came in during a relegation battle, took them to 8th
West Brom - Came in when they were dead and buried, unable to save them but actually installed a bit of fight (hence their game against us when they won 3-0)

We're rapidly running out of options here. I'm struggling to see anyone (realistically) better...

the assessment of his time at west brom is all wrong, he was woeful and that is the most recent job to base him off of. has been decent elsewhere though.

Edited by SotonianWill

Just now, hypochondriac said:

What gives you that impression of Rooney? 

I was impressed with the way he conducted himself at Derby (as a manager, not the twat he was in his younger days), and the results he managed to drag out of a seriously poor Derby squad. His teams looked fit, organised, and clearly played for him. I could be wrong, and he could be as shit as Lampard or as average as Gerrard, but of the 3 of those, he's the one that I think would be the least shit option. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I honestly don't get why so many people seem to think he'd be good. Seems bizarre to me. 

I get that, and he may be crap. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Selles though who's only ever managed kids for a season. I cannot fathom why anyone is supporting his appointment, even short term. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

the assessment of his time at west brom is all wrong, he was woeful and that is the most recent job to base him off of. has been decent elsewhere though.

If we're judging managers on their last job, why are we looking at Marsch, Gerrard or Lampard? There's a reason these people are unemployed. Even Poch's last job was a total disaster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

I was impressed with the way he conducted himself at Derby (as a manager, not the twat he was in his younger days), and the results he managed to drag out of a seriously poor Derby squad. His teams looked fit, organised, and clearly played for him. I could be wrong, and he could be as shit as Lampard or as average as Gerrard, but of the 3 of those, he's the one that I think would be the least shit option. 

Yeah I thought he did a good job with Derby too. 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

I get that, and he may be crap. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Selles though who's only ever managed kids for a season. I cannot fathom why anyone is supporting his appointment, even short term. 

Agreed. Rooney did brilliantly at Derby in the circumstances. He might fail but he might not.

• Like 1

If nothing else, players will have grown up watching Rooney. He's the record scorer for the country he'd be managing (unless Kane has overtaken him?) in as well as that country's biggest club and he'd command respect from the off. It's also reasonable to think he'd have decent connections at Man United where potential transfers are concerned.

• Like 1

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I appreciate that but like I said, we are rapidly running out of options.

I don't agree with Allardyce but at least you're putting a name forward. People saying no, no and no to options but offering no names offer nothing to a discussion.  

Are people actually suggesting Allardyce?? This is where you have to look at the squad we have and what sort of person is a good fit. Marsch was a good fit. Benitez and Allardyce are not good fits for the players we have.

Selles is a better fit than him because he already knows who is here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Oh right when he got pissed up and was photographed passed out with some social media influencers? Or when he started talking about his tiny cock in his team talk to dc United? (which incidentally he has an horrendous record at.) He had a decent season of form in the championship for one season with the pressure off and nothing to play for. In my opinion he's a horrible disgrace of a man, cheating on his wife numerous times and basically being a bit of a thick chav. I'd have a similar dilemma to Jones if he came here in that I'd support saints but I really wouldn't want him to do well because I don't like him. 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Well yes but that isn't saying much. I'd take Rooney over Nathan Jones but that doesn't mean I think he's in any way suitable to be our manager. 

• Like 1

Oh right when he got pissed up and was photographed passed out with some social media influencers? Or when he started talking about his tiny cock in his team talk to dc United? (which incidentally he has an horrendous record at.) He had a decent season of form in the championship for one season with the pressure off and nothing to play for. In my opinion he's a horrible disgrace of a man, cheating on his wife numerous times and basically being a bit of a thick chav. I'd have a similar dilemma to Jones if he came here in that I'd support saints but I really wouldn't want him to do well because I don't like him. 

So who are you suggesting that would realistically come here and is available... saying no to options is easy...

If you want a likable, respectable bloke, we should have just stuck with Ralph. Or we could just go get Steve Bruce.

Not saying Rooney would be my first choice or that I agree with the things he's done but I'm past caring about a manager's personal life. I'd be quite happy with Jones still being here if he'd actually backed up his bizarre claims about being the best in Europe. The fact he was a d1ckhead doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

So who are you suggesting that would realistically come here and is available... saying no to options is easy...

Personally I think we've made our bed with Selles now and that's where we're going, we'll re-asses in the summer. I don't see anyone 'realistic' out there who is a good fit for what we have, Marsch was the best of what I'd call a bad bunch really.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Are people actually suggesting Allardyce?? This is where you have to look at the squad we have and what sort of person is a good fit. Marsch was a good fit. Benitez and Allardyce are not good fits for the players we have.

Selles is a better fit than him because he already knows who is here.

Selles is not a manager! He has never managed. Hiring him is like promoting the head barman of a large hotel to be it's manager. What's he done to merit the job? Playing Djenepo at RB and scraping to a penalty win over Sheffield Wednesday? Crazy, crazy suggestion. 

• Like 4

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

If you want a likable, respectable bloke, we should have just stuck with Ralph. Or we could just go get Steve Bruce.

Not saying Rooney would be my first choice or that I agree with the things he's done but I'm past caring about a manager's personal life. I'd be quite happy with Jones still being here if he'd actually backed up his bizarre claims about being the best in Europe. The fact he was a d1ckhead doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

We played the Ralph situation like morons. This is a guy who'd given 4 years to the club, built up a philosophy and a style of play. It went stale, no one can deny that - it went stale last year. The optimum time for change was at the end of last season, and maybe even give him the opportunity to help appoint his successor.

To then go into the season with someone you've kind of half backed kind of makes it inevitable. He was never Rasmus's man and he was desperate to get his own man in.

So to then sack Ralph, 6 months too late, and replace him with Jones who is a totally different type of manager is just disgraceful management. It shows whoever made that call has no real understanding of what Ralph had built over 4 years or any real respect in it, his legacy has been pretty much trashed in 3 months and I feel pretty bad for that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Selles is not a manager! He has never managed. Hiring him is like promoting the head barman of a large hotel to be it's manager. What's he done to merit the job? Playing Djenepo at RB and scraping to a penalty win over Sheffield Wednesday? Crazy, crazy suggestion. 

Well the club have put him in that position! I agree with you, he's not a manager...but I don't as of now see any viable options which work for us. We've fucked up more than you could ever imagine. 

If we could go back 4 months I would do it tomorrow.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well the club have put him in that position! I agree with you, he's not a manager...but I don't as of now see any viable options which work for us. We've fucked up more than you could ever imagine. 

Look forward to more CBs taking long throws, and more Bazunu in goal

Edited by AlexLaw76

Left field shout, as it has been mentioned that the club are looking at an experienced 'coach' to come in and work with Selles in a duo.

Rui Faira? Jose's former assistant, been everywhere with him, huge pedigree in coaching some of the best players in the world. Has said he left Jose as he wanted to go into management. Had a year in Duabi but has been out of work since.

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I get that, although Ralph's time was up imo. The issue as you pointed out above is that he's been a dead man walking since the summer and the outcome was inevitable. Having given him too long we then got the wrong man, then gave him too long. 

I agree that we've fucked it up royally. We need stability and experience imo. If we want a stab at staying up Selles is not that man. 

Edited by egg

The club had a great chance to have a reset after Jones. Sacking him in the manner they have is akin to them holding up their hands and admitting they messed up. If they go with Selles then saints fans will blame them for a second time once it inevitably fails and the club will have pretty much given up and accepted relegation. If the club go through with this then why should any supporters pay any more money for the rest of the year? If Sports Republic aren't going to bother trying till next season then what's the point?

13 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Being likable and respectable is just one facet of what I want a manager to be. You're right that it's not essential it's just my personal preference. Rooney happens to be both unlikable and with just one short stint at Derby to his name which is no proof that he has the ability required to succeed. 

Okay - here's a complete curve ball. You've asked for suggestions - so here's mine.

It seems to me that every manager in the reckoning - Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Marsch etc has at some stage or another in their managerial career, failed to differing degrees. I have to say, of all of them, I thought Marsch might be the best option, but that looks like it's not going to happen.

So why not give it to a complete newbie? Someone who has never managed (It's working for Vincent Kompany at Burnley). Hence someone who has never previously failed. Someone who the players already know and respect. Someone who the players will fight for on the pitch. Someone who knows Southampton through and through and knows the squad better than anyone. Someone who will take no blame if we go down, but who will stay with us in The Championship and turn it into a project to get us back up. Possibly the youngest Premiership manager of all time, but one who the fan base will support because of his dedication to this club. And someone who will work alongside more experienced coaches (Selles etc). Someone who is a young player-manager. Someone who knows to the Premier League. Someone who is comfortable in front of the cameras. Someone who has a clean image and is respected at all levels within the club. Someone who, if he managed to save us would only increase his legendary status.

This is Southampton. We do things our way! 

If you haven't guessed already, I am talking about JWP as player manager, working alongside the coaches. Some will say he is too quiet on the pitch as captain. In the past I would have agreed, but to me, of late he seems to be more vocal. You then appoint a new Captain to support him.....just thoughts. 

As I said - it's a complete curve-ball but I would rather try that than have "Frankie Lampard's Southampton" (or whoever on the list) mentioned every 5 minutes.

I think this is my last post of the day so won't be able to reply. I will just sit back, and duck the comments coming back my way.    

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Being likable and respectable is just one facet of what I want a manager to be. You're right that it's not essential it's just my personal preference. Rooney happens to be both unlikable and with just one short stint at Derby to his name which is no proof that he has the ability required to succeed. 

Who has?

I’ve just thought of a reason why the club are refusing to commit to anything for over 6 months.

Jason Wilcox is joining as Director of Football in the summer and I’m guessing they want to let him to pick next season’s manager.

I still think it’s a mistake not to offer Marsch 18 months now. A great deal of damage can be done if we get a bad interim manager and get relegated with a whimper.

I don’t think waiting is worth the risk but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s their plan.

20 minutes ago, egg said:

It's possible that almost no one will come under the terms we want (reportedly six month contract) given that Marsch has turned us down already. Given that we may have no choice but to go with Selles till the summer which really is a poor show from the club and is an indication that they've written off the season. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

I get that, although Ralph's time was up imo. The issue as you pointed out above is that he's been a dead man walking since the summer and the outcome was inevitable. Having given him too long we then got the wrong man, then gave him too long. 

I agree that we've fucked it up royally. We need stability and experience imo. If we want a stab at staying up Selles is not that man. 

Who do you think could give us that stability? I'm at a loss to be honest!

I don't think the names of Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney offer much credibility. The only one with an ounce of sense is possibly Lampard, but that's scraping the barrel really.

We weren't very attractive before, but now the club have inadvertently told everyone they're only offering a short-term deal then our options are probably even less than they were. Nothing wrong with short-term deals by the way, but to have all this leaked out as the 'stopper' for Marsch is incredibly damaging going forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Okay - here's a complete curve ball. You've asked for suggestions - so here's mine.

It seems to me that every manager in the reckoning - Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Marsch etc has at some stage or another in their managerial career, failed to differing degrees. I have to say, of all of them, I thought Marsch might be the best option, but that looks like it's not going to happen.

So why not give it to a complete newbie? Someone who has never managed (It's working for Vincent Kompany at Burnley). Hence someone who has never previously failed. Someone who the players already know and respect. Someone who the players will fight for on the pitch. Someone who knows Southampton through and through and knows the squad better than anyone. Someone who will take no blame if we go down, but who will stay with us in The Championship and turn it into a project to get us back up. Possibly the youngest Premiership manager of all time, but one who the fan base will support because of his dedication to this club. And someone who will work alongside more experienced coaches (Selles etc). Someone who is a young player-manager. Someone who knows to the Premier League. Someone who is comfortable in front of the cameras. Someone who has a clean image and is respected at all levels within the club. Someone who, if he managed to save us would only increase his legendary status.

If you haven't guessed already, I am talking about JWP as player manager, working alongside the coaches. Some will say he is too quiet on the pitch as captain. In the past I would have agreed, but to me, of late he seems to be more vocal. You then appoint a new Captain to support him.....just thoughts. 

As I said - it's a complete curve-ball but I would rather try that than have "Frankie Lampard's Southampton" (or whoever on the list) mentioned every 5 minutes.

I think this is my last post of the day so won't be able to reply. I will just sit back, and duck the comments coming back my way.    

I think being player manager would put too much on his plate and he'd become a lesser presence on the field. I get where you're coming from but regretably SR's incompetence has left us all clutching at straws.

9 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

If he was like mid to late 30's then yeah, maybe an idea (still a crazy one mind!) but as of now he's still only 28 years old and in the prime of his career. He needs to be focusing on playing football, not managing a premier league team.

Edited by S-Clarke