Saints 1-0 Leicester - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

4 hours ago, Southner said:

Their pessimism makes me feel more pessimistic. They could be in for a surprise. 

that forum was so funny. they're obviously not very well informed about just how bad we are. This was my highlight:

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 2.28.17 pm.png

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, leeham_69 said:

that forum was so funny. they're obviously not very well informed about just how bad we are. This was my highlight:

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 2.28.17 pm.png

Shows how every forum has its idiots.....

We've already beaten them since 9-0 so they can stop going on about it, alongside every bloody commentator in Britain.

2 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Thought mouse was our best player Wednesday night and was kicked up n down the wing every chance Grimsby had.

showed some fight so I’d reward him with a start.

Can’t be any worse than moi or Armstrong last week ! 

That is the thing about Moussa, he always gives something close to 100%. But he's also shit.

Unfortunately, outside of JWP, it seems we can only have one or the other if you're part of this squad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExSholingSaint said:

This is a must win game for both teams. Loser goes down. 

There is a well known saying - "there are two certainties in life - death and taxes".  There's an even more well known saying now - "there are two certainties in life - Saints will be relegated and the Saints / Leicester game will be first on MOTD with Lineker able to gloat over the win". 🤨😉

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JRM said:

Some views from Leicester, they seem quite negative but not sure they realise how bad we really are: 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/131201-up-next-southampton-away/

Good lord, this must be the game with the most miserable and least confident set of fans right now. 

Made me chuckle that they think they'll actually lose to us. And they think we'll definitely score. Might be a woeful 4-4 2 OG's each, few shit pens given away, and maybe a goal from a few free kicks.

34 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

They might, they're poor, a lot of it depends on Maddison being fit. 

We are down regardless.

If

|

|

|

|

|

|

| - - - Very long pause -  Yes i am going to say this...

|

|

|

|

|

|

We win...

Then we're not down regardless - we'll be on 21 points and within touching distance of safety 🤩

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

That is the thing about Moussa, he always gives something close to 100%. But he's also shit.

Unfortunately, outside of JWP, it seems we can only have one or the other if you're part of this squad.

We need close to 100% players now not half hearted passengers.. moi is shit ..stu Armstrong has c.o.p.d , edoize is younger version of mouse with no experience, Sulemana isn’t up to speed yet with the league but has to start on the left with mouse on the right and take the game to them early on .. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

If we can’t score against someone like Danny Ward then we might as well forfeit the rest of the season. 

And yet he’s still better than all of our goalkeepers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

We need close to 100% players now not half hearted passengers.. moi is shit ..stu Armstrong has c.o.p.d , edoize is younger version of mouse with no experience, Sulemana isn’t up to speed yet with the league but has to start on the left with mouse on the right and take the game to them early on .. 

Hard to disagree. I'd rather see him start than Edozie.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

If we can’t score against someone like Danny Ward then we might as well forfeit the rest of the season. 

I thought we allready forfitted the season back in August .

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

Who is "mouse"? Have I missed something? 

14 hours ago, Southner said:

Their pessimism makes me feel more pessimistic. They could be in for a surprise. 

Their fans appear to have followed us about as closely as McCoist. I guess they could say the same about us (I've seen them and they have not been anywhere near as good as they were last season), but no matter how poorly they think they have been playing, we have been worse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dman said:

Let’s be fair, if Jones had said this he’d have been crucified. 

Weird comment. 

I'd like to think there was something "lost in translation" there and he didn't mean it to come across as harshly as it sounds? 

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

He also said that Lavia has 'more football in him'.

I know it's in his second language, but "He's a very good player and he's done well since he came here, but I know that he can do even more" would have been simple enough. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Of all the useless bags of shite we have, Lavia is the one who doesn’t impress him. 

To be fair, ff the journalist only asks him about Lavia, he can only respond about Lavia,

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I know it's in his second language, but "He's a very good player and he's done well since he came here, but I know that he can do even more" would have been simple enough. 

I think he was just trying to play down the hype around him (the questioner mentioned previous interest from Chelsea for example) but got his words a tad mixed up.

Edited by trousers

14 hours ago, trousers said:

McCarthy

KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud

JWP - Lavia

S. Armstrong - Doyle

Ballard - Adams 

You've given up on Sulemana and Onuachu? I'm not going to argue against that, but do you think Doyle is ready to go straight into the starting 11?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, trousers said:

McCarthy

KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud

JWP - Lavia

S. Armstrong - Doyle

Ballard - Adams 

This is the team that should have started (Tuesday) maybe the 2 new lads for Adams and Armstrong. 

Not tomorrow though, for me. 

The ypungesters anyway. The rest looks good 

Edited by Dman

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

This is the team that should have started (Tuesday) maybe the 2 new lads for Adams and Armstrong. 

Not tomorrow though, for me. 

The ypungesters anyway. The rest looks good 

Would you go with the same side but with Sulemana and Onuachu then? The two strikers feel a little similar. No pace but maybe a fair bit of physicality and strong hold up play?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

You've given up on Sulemana and Onuachu? I'm not going to argue against that, but do you think Doyle is ready to go straight into the starting 11?

That line up suggestion was partly born out of frustration with the lack of gumption being shown by the majority of our senior players along with a dash of tongue-in-cheek. I've just got to the stage now where I don't think we'll stay up regardless of who plays, ergo, why not give a few of the best lads a crack of the whip? It won't happen of course, unless we get to the point where we're mathematically down with games to go.

Edited by trousers

Maybe it’s time to try our Strikers as defenders - as they seem experts at keeping the ball out of the net!  
Defenders as strikers - CC on a scoring run! Can’t be any worse than normal??

Just need an idea for what to do with the Goalkeeper position!? 

There have been some points over the last decade where I have had no idea who will play as there were so many players pushing to be in the first team. This weekend I also have no idea who will play cos there are barely any who I want to play.

A couple of selections are important on how seriously we want to win. KWP is a more attacking threat at rb than AMN, even if KWP is out of form. And whilst Moi might have some okay defensive stats, his attacking ouput is terrible. If we want to actually score, neither AMN or Moi should start.

Hard to know who else to start, but I guess I would go for something like

McCarthy

KWP-ABK-DCC-Perraud

S.Armstong-Lavia-JWP

Moussa-Big Paul-Sulemana

Moussa I know most won't like, but think he does occasionally make things happen accidentally and scored one of our few goals from open play this year, and the rest of the options are just shit

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 1

I thought Selles was pretty brutal in that presser - he knows this is probably his only opportunity to manage in the premier league and I dont think he wants to mess around 

Slated Lavia, talked about lack of relationships on the pitch, standards in all aspects on and off the pitch not high enough, certain players not up to it 

lets hope that translates to a good kick up the arse and the players react in the right way

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic