Saints 1-0 Leicester - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

33 minutes ago, trousers said:

Goalie-fail GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

That is class, quality save, feet behind the line, not fooled by the striker smashing it down the middle, and a great pose for the cameraman. Is he eligible for us for Saturday. We could have done with him against Grimsby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, richardc said:

I thought Selles was pretty brutal in that presser - he knows this is probably his only opportunity to manage in the premier league and I dont think he wants to mess around 

Slated Lavia, talked about lack of relationships on the pitch, standards in all aspects on and off the pitch not high enough, certain players not up to it 

lets hope that translates to a good kick up the arse and the players react in the right way

if Nathan Jones had made these quotes the fans would have made a lot more of it !  I hope Selles gets it right i really do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

That is class, quality save, feet behind the line, not fooled by the striker smashing it down the middle, and a great pose for the cameraman. Is he eligible for us for Saturday. We could have done with him against Grimsby.

Dives a good two seconds to late. Seems perfect for us.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Dives a good two seconds to late. Seems perfect for us.

I am not gonna give McCarthy too much stick as i feel he is the better option for us at the moment than Bazuna.

....But has McCarthy ever stopped a penalty kick?

To be honest, i cant remember the last time any Saints keeper stopped a penalty kick.

-

oh, and despite the above, i am an eternal optimist -  in my head, i can see a 3 match run with 3 wins.

Edited by SaintTex

38 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

I am not gonna give McCarthy too much stick as i feel he is the better option for us at the moment than Bazuna.

....But has McCarthy ever stopped a penalty kick?

To be honest, i cant remember the last time any Saints keeper stopped a penalty kick.

-

oh, and despite the above, i am an eternal optimist -  in my head, i can see a 3 match run with 3 wins.

31st December 2022

Fulham v Southampton

96 mins

Gavin Bazunu

• Like 3

If Maddison plays they win.

I'm convinced a lot of our malaise is caused by too many players more concerned about their next moves and not getting injured than pulling their fingers out and trying to keep us up.

Hope we beat Leicester but we are so massively shit, with players in charge, not the manager, so fully expect another half hearted attempt at football and predictable, lifeless loss.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, richardc said:

I thought Selles was pretty brutal in that presser - he knows this is probably his only opportunity to manage in the premier league and I dont think he wants to mess around 

Slated Lavia, talked about lack of relationships on the pitch, standards in all aspects on and off the pitch not high enough, certain players not up to it 

lets hope that translates to a good kick up the arse and the players react in the right way

Have a feeling he might have Lavia on the bench tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Their fans appear to have followed us about as closely as McCoist. I guess they could say the same about us (I've seen them and they have not been anywhere near as good as they were last season), but no matter how poorly they think they have been playing, we have been worse. 

Very true indeed. 

A dull 0-0 with zero shots on target could be a beautiful compromise.

7 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Sulemara  Onuachu   Alcaraz 

Stuey Lavia prowse 

Perraud  Salisu Kotchap KWP

BAZUNU 

Stu can only play if further forward, total liability defensively / retaining possession. 

If you use him it must be driving towards and around opposing box

• Like 2

Very suprised Edozie starts for the B team tonight and seemingly won't be involved tomorrow.

Pretty much our only attacker who looks comfortable with the ball at his feet and usually takes the positive option.

IMO he should be starting, and as an absolute minimum coming on as a sub.

Certainly ahead of Djenepo, Aribo or Adam Armstrong.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Very suprised Edozie starts for the B team tonight and seemingly won't be involved tomorrow.

Pretty much our only attacker who looks comfortable with the ball at his feet and usually takes the positive option.

What is the B team line up? Any other first team squad members involved?

Does seem odd to be honest- he had minutes on Wednesday (nothing special but not as bad as some of the others) and I’d have expected him on the bench tomorrow. It’s not like we’ve got loads of options better than him?

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Don’t see it with Edozie at all, doesn’t score, doesn’t assist, but then again, nor do the rest of our team. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Appy said:

Don’t see it with Edozie at all, doesn’t score, doesn’t assist, but then again, nor do the rest of our team. 

Unfortunately there is zero end product, he can turn a couple of defenders inside out an then knocks it back into midfield. I wonder if it’s confidence or lack of acceleration once he has beaten his man?

• Like 2

Just now, SotonianWill said:

dosent really look like a premier league player yet 

Yep exactly, there’s promise there for sure, but I don’t see him in the B team as a glaring omission that some do, it might be better for him. 

Bazunu

KWP    ABK   Janny B    Perraud

Lavia     JWP

Armstrong, S     Sulemana

Onuachu   Adams

Id like to see Adams and Onuachu together. Adams is always good for link up play, maybe balls to him can be returned to the 10s so they can attack or find a ball for tall Paul. He might help with the press so Onuachu lasts more than an hour too!

I don’t know why I think we’ll win but

I’m going for 2-0, both Onuachu.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saintant said:

Have a feeling he might have Lavia on the bench tomorrow.

If so Selles has the lost the plot or never had it in the first place. Think what he is trying to do is prompt Lavia to play further up the field to help the attack. Which is a good idea if we had any kind of defense behind him, I am more afraid Lavia follows the prompt plays further up the field and a fucking gigantic whole opens up in front of the defense. Think we all know what happens next, the player we just missed out on signing gets a hat trick, so Saintsy.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

What is the B team line up? Any other first team squad members involved?

Does seem odd to be honest- he had minutes on Wednesday (nothing special but not as bad as some of the others) and I’d have expected him on the bench tomorrow. It’s not like we’ve got loads of options better than him?

Larios started but only lasted 12 mins. Bree and Edozie the other two playing. Currently 1-0 down.

Edited by sadoldgit
Add
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Not surprised at all. He’s had zero end product  Djenepo was certainly better than him midweek. Even Walcott had more of an impact.  S.armstrong and moi’s Stock rose from just not being involved on wed. That’s 4 ahead of him plus sulemana if he’s actually going to ever be played there.

• Like 1

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Not surprised at all. He’s had zero end product  Djenepo was certainly better than him midweek. Even Walcott had more of an impact.  S.armstrong and moi’s Stock rose from just not being involved on wed. That’s 4 ahead of him plus sulemana if he’s actually going to ever be played there.

We know Djenepo isnt good enough at PL level.

I maintain that in the league I can recall Edozie having a positive impact off the bench more than once.

Can't think of any other player that applies to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

We know Djenepo isnt good enough at PL level.

I maintain that in the league I can recall Edozie having a positive impact off the bench more than once.

Can't think of any other player that applies to.

The stunning impact of zero goals and zero assists. Should have been loaned out in January imo to help him develop.

Leicester at home live on Sky - I’m looking forward to this one like I’d did my vasectomy. Just want to get it out of the way and hopefully it will be successful and not too painful.

Genuinely don’t give a fuck what team he plays, I have zero expectation and at the moment don’t even like any of our players so if the cunt Vardy stuffs three past us I won’t even feel a hint of disappointment, it will just a normal Saturday to me.

COYR.

6 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

Thought it was the Grimsby keeper - behaves like him. Probably lay there for 3 minutes claiming he had cramp.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

Bazunu

KWP    ABK   Janny B    Perraud

Lavia     JWP

Armstrong, S     Sulemana

Onuachu   Adams

Id like to see Adams and Onuachu together. Adams is always good for link up play, maybe balls to him can be returned to the 10s so they can attack or find a ball for tall Paul. He might help with the press so Onuachu lasts more than an hour too!

I don’t know why I think we’ll win but

I’m going for 2-0, both Onuachu.

Anyone including yourself in for Bednarek and that's my team as well.

I think the bashing of Edozie is a little harsh, his end product could definitely be much better but he did also win a penalty vs Brighton and has had just 5 starts so far. I don't think he should be a guaranteed starter but I'd rather him on the pitch than a lot of our other options in the position, and he's the option I'd most like to see come off the bench at 70 minutes.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Unfortunately there is zero end product, he can turn a couple of defenders inside out an then knocks it back into midfield. I wonder if it’s confidence or lack of acceleration once he has beaten his man?

It's experience I would say, same with Sulemana. I think that's where an experienced manager comes in useful, one that has worked with these kind of players. Or you can do what Man City do and have players close by that you can see an outlet for the ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

The stunning impact of zero goals and zero assists. Should have been loaned out in January imo to help him develop.

Here’s the thing; if edozie was an academy graduate he would have been loaned out but because we paid £12 million (!) for him we think we should persevere despite the fact he flatters to deceive. A few nice step overs but zero end product. Another poor signing and we may as well have retained tella and saved the money. The signing of him, bazanu and larios look increasingly dismal  

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Agreed, give me Redmond over the lot we have now every day of the week 

Given how much grief the likes of Redmond and McCarthy got on here before it seems odd to see how they are now being redefined. All I can remember was Redmond getting slagged off constantly and McCarthy getting pelters for being beaten time and again at his near post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

Weird that Redmond, Forster, Romeu, Tella would all likely walk into the side now. Shows how poor the recruitment has been. 

They wouldn’t, it’s just a peculiarity of football fans that the players who aren’t playing must be the answer. The worse we play, the thicker the rose tinted glasses become. You can add Long, McC, Willy, Boufal and Stephens to the list of names people have wished were in the team at various points this season. The truth is they were all consistently poor and we’d be no better off now with the team which performed so badly at the end of last season.

5 hours ago, Dusic said:

Edozie is dog shit. No end product at all.

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

They wouldn’t, it’s just a peculiarity of football fans that the players who aren’t playing must be the answer. The worse we play, the thicker the rose tinted glasses become. You can add Long, McC, Willy, Boufal and Stephens to the list of names people have wished were in the team at various points this season. The truth is they were all consistently poor and we’d be no better off now with the team which performed so badly at the end of last season.

My point was more that the signings haven’t improved the squad not that those players had excellent seasons before they departed. For example surely we would be better off with Forster in goal than bazanu ? The later has some of the worst statistics in premier league history and is one of the main reasons we are going down. He doesn’t make any significant saves whereas Forster did, along with the odd gaff. Edozie has literally no end product ( no goals and no assists) but Redmond did have some end product along with some really dire games. 
I’m not saying they were great players but they are better than what we have now. 
The signings have been total shite with the odd exception.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

if Nathan Jones had made these quotes the fans would have made a lot more of it !  I hope Selles gets it right i really do.

Jones would have had to understood what was happening on the pitch and with his players to make those comments. That wouldn't have happened.

Selles sees Lavia can be better, and wants him to pay to his potential.

8 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Given how much grief the likes of Redmond and McCarthy got on here before it seems odd to see how they are now being redefined. All I can remember was Redmond getting slagged off constantly and McCarthy getting pelters for being beaten time and again at his near post.

McCarthy is the worst goalkeeper we've ever had in the top flight. Bazunu may well prove to be the next worst but at least he's so young that there's still hope he might improve; McCarthy never will.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Matter of opinion.

I’ve never slated Redmond, I think he was very hard done by, and I’d have definitely kept him last summer. 

Redmond, Forster and Romeu would walk into this side right now. Tella maybe but he wouldn’t have had the development if he’d stayed so probably wouldn’t be the same player. 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, trousers said:

Selles is right. I watched the Grimsby match on paramount. The commentators shared my view in Lavia - he's a very classy player with all the talent in the world but he needs too many touches, slows us down, and rarely helps move ys up the pitch. Compare that to JWP when he replaced him - one touch, passing forwards, and moving us up the pitch. He's going to be a superb player, but at the moment I'm not sure he's the answer in a midfield 2. I'd like to see him in a 3 with JWP and Alcaraz. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

McCarthy is the worst goalkeeper we've ever had in the top flight. Bazunu may well prove to be the next worst but at least he's so young that there's still hope he might improve; McCarthy never will.

He has played well for Saints , looked a better option than Forster by actually making saves . Distribution a weak point but it's fair to say after periods of looking good he did tail off like most GKs at Saints , not sure if that's because the defence was so bad he lost confidence or injury etc .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m enjoying the discussions about whether last year’s sh1t players are in fact better than this year’s sh1t players.

And later on I’m going to thoroughly enjoy watching a quality premier league football match in a great stadium with a fantastic atmosphere where the mighty Saints achieve yet another great result.

Why on earth do I do this to myself…

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

McCarthy is the worst goalkeeper we've ever had in the top flight.

Im not a fan, but is he really worse than Bazunu, Gunn, Gazzaniga, Davies, Neil Moss, Ian Andrews, Blayney, Phil Kite...maybe Beasant and Grobbellar too (all be it they were very old)?

I dream of Redmond playing for us now.
McCarthy too, but not because I think he’s talented, just Bazunu needs to be taken out of the firing line for a bit. But then it all stems back to recruitment, and the fact we shouldn’t have gone for someone so inexperienced to go from League One to the Premier League.

Our squad now is just bloated.

Bree will never feature again.
Orsic sounds homesick, and at the time I said it felt an odd signing.
Even Onuachu seems a little bizarre, especially given we sacked Nathan Jones less than two weeks later, and our style with Selles is the complete opposite of Jones. I don’t see how a slow player, at a height of 6”8’ can press quickly.

Our squad is just a miss mash of shit, with a couple of diamonds in their (JWP, Lavia, potentially Sulemana).

No one knows what formation we play anymore, or what team will start, or who will be selected in the squad. 
It’s chop and change from one week to the next.

Much like the relegation 2004 season.

• Like 3

Win today, and we might, things could change dramatically, whilst we can’t get out of the bottom three, Bournemouth, Leeds* and Everton all have tough games and could all get sucked right back in. 

*Chelsea are going to spank someone at some point  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Selles is right. I watched the Grimsby match on paramount. The commentators shared my view in Lavia - he's a very classy player with all the talent in the world but he needs too many touches, slows us down, and rarely helps move ys up the pitch. Compare that to JWP when he replaced him - one touch, passing forwards, and moving us up the pitch. He's going to be a superb player, but at the moment I'm not sure he's the answer in a midfield 2. I'd like to see him in a 3 with JWP and Alcaraz. 

Lavia slows us down over JWP?!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic