Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

SO what's that about £60m in the pocket now, plus Lavia to move once the victims finally pull their finger out, another £40m. According to logic on here any selling club we want to buy from should be taking us to the cleaners from now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

not a dig at you as there will be a lot thinking the same but isn't it tragic that we as fans think that way. Not how much we are looking forward to see him play, make his England debut with us, can we build a young team around him and a few others that can challenge at the top of the table etc. No, it's about how much we can make from him when we sell him. Symbolic of what football has become.

Yes it's a sad reality but much better to have a level of acceptance about where we are in the footballing hierarchy. I lost a fair bit of passion after we did so well and then saw the team systematically dismantled by bigger teams and we just couldn't keep it going. Our best chance of success is to do what we have done with Tino and make a shed load of money which will hopefully allow us to buy two or three more Tinos and repeat the process. It's tough but that's what we have to do at least until the big boys feck off to the super league and we can attempt something of a more level playing field. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

SO what's that about £60m in the pocket now, plus Lavia to move once the victims finally pull their finger out, another £40m. According to logic on here any selling club we want to buy from should be taking us to the cleaners from now.

Personally I'd sell Lavia and then say that's it for sales for this window other than the smaller guys like Lyanco, McCarthy etc. ABK, JWP, KWP, Sulemana, Tella, Alcaraz and Adams would be an unbelievable collection of players in the championship. I expect a few more will go but I do wonder what would happen if we just refused any more sales. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

We also had the guy who won the header being marked by Smallbone, whilst Bednarek and Stephens were marking space.

I’m hoping the new guy will keep it simple.  Get Stephens and Bednarek man-marking and have a spare player like Smallbone marking space.  
As long as we always leave a forward up from corners, they will have 2 staying, leaving us the extra man in the box.

Zonal marking is a complete load of shite.

Totally agree Milton. Zonal marking just seems a cop out where nobody takes responsibility for picking up a man. If it's your man and he scores then you know who's at fault. You don't even have to win the header just jump with them and make sure they don't get clean contact. 

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

One immutable fact: James Ward Prowse cant break Beckham's record of Direct Free Kicks scored in the Premier League, from the Championship.

No Southampton, DoF, Manager or Owner can deny him the chance of that.

Its very surprising that the sensible offers aren't in yet.

It may be an “immutable fact” but it also a big assumption that the record matters to JWP.  He has never seemed to me to be focused on glory hunting, of course I am sure he would love to get the record.  The key is no sensible offers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Winchester Red said:

Tino was always happy to stay if the club chose not to sell, as is Tella - although they were best buddies so it'll be interesting to see if that changes.

But no player is ever going to say after a transfer is completed that they didn't want to go.  Not what the fans of the new club want to hear. It'll be 'as soon as I heard of X-Clubs interest I couldn't wait to pull on the shirt for the greatest fans of this world famous club blahdy blah.....

😂 Yeah okay pal. ‘I was so happy to stay that when informed of the interest I told my agent to keep working on the deal and I told Southampton to keep working on the deal and I told Newcastle to keep working on the deal and at no point did I tell anyone to stop working on the deal because I was happy to stay’

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I'd sell Lavia and then say that's it for sales for this window other than the smaller guys like Lyanco, McCarthy etc. ABK, JWP, KWP, Sulemana, Tella, Alcaraz and Adams would be an unbelievable collection of players in the championship. I expect a few more will go but I do wonder what would happen if we just refused any more sales. 

I agree with you and think thats the plan tbh. The pricing and overall strategy this summer has always felt like it was geared towards raising funds by selling lavia and clearing the bloat... Very notable that JWP didn't make a big deal of his standing ovation vs AZ Alkmar (when the opportunity was afforded) and he was played vs Wednesday, whilst Lavia has look half interested all preseason and was rested - similary pricing of the two set JWP as expensive and Lavia as a more tempting price relative to him.

We're not going to be far off the midfield of JWP, Alcaraz, one of Charles/smallbone, and then tella/sulemana all starting games - which is filth for this level. Not to mention Stu, Edozi, Djenpo, and A-A) as subs. Its a better set of midfielders and wingers than we had for most of last season... If we keep ABK, Bednarek, and Stephens at the back (plus i guess lyanco at this point), and KWP, Perraud, Manning and Larios/Bree, the reality is its a very tidy side.... Do need to address the attack i feel. Can't see Adams staying with his contract situation, I can't see AA working with teams sitting deep against us (although that won't be every game), and Onuachu surely has to be loaned out if hes not in the manager's plans?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, moonraker said:

It may be an “immutable fact” but it also a big assumption that the record matters to JWP.  He has never seemed to me to be focused on glory hunting, of course I am sure he would love to get the record.  The key is no sensible offers.

I think it does matter to him. Well documented that Beckham was an idol of his growing up. I also think it matters to him that he does it in a Saints shirt. 

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

😂 Yeah okay pal. ‘I was so happy to stay that when informed of the interest I told my agent to keep working on the deal and I told Southampton to keep working on the deal and I told Newcastle to keep working on the deal and at no point did I tell anyone to stop working on the deal because I was happy to stay’

There is a difference between being happy to stay and not wanting to leave

I believe, as Ive said before, that Tino, JWP, Tella etc are relaxed and they’re happy to stay but understandably they will go if/when the club agrees a deal with a PL club

Conversely Alcaraz I think has openly instructed that he doesn’t want the upheaval of a move and Salisu/Orsic actually instructed the club that they wanted to move

Like Ive also pointed out, at the end of last season the French lads indicated they wanted to go.. Diallo has gone, I think Mara, Sulemana have relaxed on it.. im not sure where Perrauds heads at, not heard about him recently 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

One immutable fact: James Ward Prowse cant break Beckham's record of Direct Free Kicks scored in the Premier League, from the Championship.

No Southampton, DoF, Manager or Owner can deny him the chance of that.

Its very surprising that the sensible offers aren't in yet.

Another fact, he's still only 28...

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

End up with a contingent of pissed off players...?

2 minutes ago, Lampwick said:

End up with a contingent of pissed off players...?

Newcaslte kept a load of their players when they went down, same with West ham. I'm sure they owuld get over it if we keep being successful. I'm not sure it will happen anyway I'm just saying I think we could make it work. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I believe, as Ive said before, that Tino, JWP, Tella etc are relaxed and they’re happy to stay but understandably they will go if/when the club agrees a deal with a PL club

Conversely Alcaraz I think has openly instructed that he doesn’t want the upheaval of a move and Salisu/Orsic actually instructed the club that they wanted to move

Like Ive also pointed out, at the end of last season the French lads indicated they wanted to go.. Diallo has gone, I think Mara, Sulemana have relaxed on it.. im not sure where Perrauds heads at, not heard about him recently 

You’re not happy to stay if you’re actively pursuing a move. Maybe publicly you can play that card but that’s my issue, I find the PR side ‘happy to stay unless someone accepts a bid’ bollocks nauseating. If Alcaraz as you say has actively told people to not pursue one then that’s great, but the middle men like Tino, Tella, JWP who don’t say anything but have their teams working on getting them out but also trying to convince everyone they are happy to stay is nonsense, especially when it works. I have no issue with them wanting out but pretending that they aren’t on the phone everyday to their agent asking for an update is such bollocks and especially when people say stuff like ‘sad the club cashed in, he was happy to stay’. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

When Lavia goes, I genuinely don't know why the club would accept 35 million for jwp. We've made ab absolute shed load from sales and should have more than enough to keep him for a season and tell him that he's staying. If he goes it will be a big blow to morale on top of a blow to the team to lose someone of his ability. If we get to the end of the window and he's still here, the lift would be huge and coukd carry us to promotion which is worth a lot more than 35 million. If we really don't have to sell for financial reasons then that is what we should do imo. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You’re not happy to stay if you’re actively pursuing a move. Maybe publicly you can play that card but that’s my issue, I find the PR side ‘happy to stay unless someone accepts a bid’ bollocks nauseating. If Alcaraz as you say has actively told people to not pursue one then that’s great, but the middle men like Tino, Tella, JWP who don’t say anything but have their teams working on getting them out but also trying to convince everyone they are happy to stay is nonsense, especially when it works. I have no issue with them wanting out but pretending that they aren’t on the phone everyday to their agent asking for an update is such bollocks and especially when people say stuff like ‘sad the club cashed in, he was happy to stay’. 

why? Im happy to stay in my job at the moment but if a competitor offered me more money, better working conditions and better opportunities. Why would a footballer be any different. Im sure they'd be happy to stay as in not push for a move and knuckle down for the season, but if an offer came along that was better and worked for everyone then they'd take it. That's life.

• Like 4

Just now, Turkish said:

why? Im happy to stay in my job at the moment but if a competitor offered me more money, better working conditions and better opportunities. Why would a footballer be any different. Im sure they'd be happy to stay as in not push for a move and knuckle down for the season, but if an offer came along that was better and worked for everyone then they'd take it. That's life.

I’m not saying they are any different from you or I. I have no issue with them pushing for the move but the idea that they’ve been trying to convince everyone that they aren’t is cringe and has been all summer. You or I wouldn’t be briefing the local reporters how we are happy to stay in an attempt to manage our PR. The bit I really find cringeworthy is that people believe it though. I’ve seen online and IRL people brag about Tino staying for ‘one more year because he’s so grateful to us’ which is a line straight out of The Athletic powder puff pieces and just utter bollocks.

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

When Lavia goes, I genuinely don't know why the club would accept 35 million for jwp. We've made ab absolute shed load from sales and should have more than enough to keep him for a season and tell him that he's staying. If he goes it will be a big blow to morale on top of a blow to the team to lose someone of his ability. If we get to the end of the window and he's still here, the lift would be huge and coukd carry us to promotion which is worth a lot more than 35 million. If we really don't have to sell for financial reasons then that is what we should do imo. 

I think that would depend on what JWP wants, forcing him to stay and wrecking his career if he really wants to go probably won't help team morale. Face it, most if not all of our players will aspire to get that big move, if they see JWP being denied after all he has done, it it's not going to fill them with much hope. Tella on the other hand I would just tell him he's needed and he's staying.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I think that would depend on what JWP wants, forcing him to stay and wrecking his career if he really wants to go probably won't help team morale. Face it, most if not all of our players will aspire to get that big move, if they see JWP being denied after all he has done, it it's not going to fill them with much hope. Tella on the other hand I would just tell him he's needed and he's staying.

Wrecking his career, really?😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Why tella and not jwp? Both could wreck morale in that case. I don't think someone like jwp woukd be anything other than professional and try his absolute best for the club. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think it does matter to him. Well documented that Beckham was an idol of his growing up. I also think it matters to him that he does it in a Saints shirt. 

I think we'd need to ask Mrs Ward-Prowse about that 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Lots of Scouse sites boasting Lavia is not training with the squad today. Whether that's because a bid has been accepted or because Lavia is pushing for the move, I don't know

Do you train on match days? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

Do you train on match days? 

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Lots of Scouse sites boasting Lavia is not training with the squad today. Whether that's because a bid has been accepted or because Lavia is pushing for the move, I don't know

Unless he's posted that to hide the truth because conspiracy, looks pretty saints at the moment. 

Screenshot_20230808_125638_com.twitter.android.jpg

• Like 3

Agree with that said above. The fact that we, in the championship, can lose a player like Tino and have it not adversely affect too much is a great position to be in. Romeo was always going to go so better to get it done (without being fleeced) and now, those potential pockets of money for the like of Tella, Prowsie etc are not as vital. We have control. Maybe they go, maybe they dont, but at least we will have more agency over the decisions. 

That said, would like to see this reinvested now, and quickly, so Martin can begin to build. 

Edited by The Juice

Not such a great deal when you factor in the 40% sell on going back to Chelsea meaning we will pocket about 17 million but it's more than we paid and clear he wasn't going to stay & also frees up what I imagine is high wages 

35 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s a disloyal cunt like the rest of them. They all want a fucking move, every single one of them. 

If he was loyal to Chelsea he'd never have joined us. Fans are loyal, but we only care about player loyalty when it suits. McCarthy is a longish term Saint but most fans want to see the back of him. I agree they all would be happy to get a move back to the Prem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

If he was loyal to Chelsea he'd never have joined us. Fans are loyal, but we only care about player loyalty when it suits. McCarthy is a longish term Saint but most fans want to see the back of him. I agree they all would be happy to get a move back to the Prem.

Football is just a job to them I do not blame them if they move to other clubs to get more money although what they get paid is another matter

2 hours ago, moonraker said:

Is it imutable? He could of course stay with us, we get promoted and he gets the record next season. Wishful thinking?