Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Shame he’s on his way. Deserved way better. Can’t help but feel this will be a bit of a Tyler Dibling transfer, maybe one with regret in a few years for him.

Didn’t see him leaving, money talks though. Shame it’s to West Ham, but at least it’s not Liverpool.

A big focal point of the squad gone. That’ll hit around the club hard and on other players.

Great servant all round. All the best to him. 👏🏻

• Like 6

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Shame he’s on his way. Deserved way better. Can’t help but feel this will be a bit of a Tyler Dibling transfer, maybe one with regret in a few years for him.

Didn’t see him leaving, money talks though. Shame it’s to West Ham, but at least it’s not Liverpool.

A big focal point of the squad gone. That’ll hit around the club hard and on other players.

JWP isn't leaving.  He'd have left by now if he was going to leave.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

I am also disappointed that he felt he had to go and that he couldn't give us one year. Personally I think any message he puts out will be a bit hollow and would be met with replies that he could have given us a year to see what happened. I know he was always likely to leave, I just thought we could have had a special player with a bit of a unique attitude. Sadly not. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Tadic, Romeu ad infintum. As soon as we sell them they were never really any good were they.

Utter Bollox.

Snarky much.

I spent all last year saying he was over hyped. I just don’t post on here very often. Some people post every thought on here. I tend to read what others think more than give my opinion. Some people (like yourself) don’t seem to like a counter view to your own or jump to conclusion.

It’s possible to have a counter opinion and a forum is a place for opinions. 

4 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Snarky much.

I spent all last year saying he was over hyped. I just don’t post on here very often. Some people post every thought on here. I tend to read what others think more than give my opinion. Some people (like yourself) don’t seem to like a counter view to your own or jump to conclusion.

It’s possible to have a counter opinion and a forum is a place for opinions. 

There has been many delusional idiots raving about JWP. He hasn’t been that great and whilst a model professional and great free kicks didn’t give that much for some to put him at legend status

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good luck to him.

Apparently it’s £30m and we get Downes for £10m and Ings on loan for a year with West Ham paying a large part of his wages.

Is that legit? Haven't seen anything about that...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good luck to him.

Apparently it’s £30m and we get Downes for £10m and Ings on loan for a year with West Ham paying a large part of his wages.

Would be an ideal replacement for the £30M striker we sold to Villa a couple of years ago

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good luck to him.

If this is true, though seems unlikely, that’s a good deal for us. With the right service and staying injury free, Ings could get to 40 goals in the championship. 

Just now, Dr. Kucho said:

If this is true, though seems unlikely, that’s a good deal for us. With the right service and staying injury free, Ings could get to 40 goals in the championship. 

would you go as far as to say he would cook?

• Haha 3

I don’t get this “loyalty” and “one man club” expectation that fans have. JWP obviously wants to try and play for England at a major tournament and that isn’t going to happen playing for us in the championship. I would imagine that the move wouldn’t be for money, just an opportunity to play in Europe and the Prem.
As fans we have chosen to follow and support our club and will do for life. For a footballer, a football club is merely an employer. I certainly my haven’t stayed with the first school that employed me, I have moved and progressed, and challenged myself. 

• Like 3

I have no problem with him going but think he may regret it if West Ham fans think he is Rice replacement!

Soon will turn on him if he doesn’t hit ground running not the brightest lot.

Been a good servant I don’t blame anyone wanting out of this mad house way been run last 2 years.

• Like 2

Bit gutted about the JWP news. Realist in me knew he would want to move on and return to the Premier League but the fantasist in me was hoping he would be a true one club legend and see it out with a sense of wanting to get us back to the Premier League, like a sense of responsibility but I guess money talks in football.

Whilst he may not be the outright leader we need, his engine, movement and passing skills fit this new system RM is implementing and, like with his run again SW at the weekend to set up Che, he has the ability to be dangerous in this division.

What matters now is how we spend this money. We cannot afford to go for another gamble on youth. We need a tried and tested replacement who has shown they are capable of doing the job in this division. I am praying we get one, or two new midfielders in, a goal scorer, a big physical defender who can pass and a goal keeper before the window closes plus any others to replace anyone else who leaves (and needs replacing). Ideally offloading Lyanco, Bree, Aribo, Mara and McCarthy too would be the cherry on the cake.

Yes we have a large squad but I would rather us sign the players we need to get us back into the Prem and have a larger squad, wasting a bit extra on wages for the players we don't want than wait to see if we can sell any of the unsellables before replacing them with what we need. Last night showed that there are a lot of players which aren't fit to wear the shirt. Stick them in the Under 21's for the season and forget about them. If we sell them, great, if we can't then we can deal with that at the end of the season when we know better where we stand. We need a quality first 11 plus subs to mount a serious push for this season. Hoping SR can see this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Bit gutted about the JWP news. Realist in me knew he would want to move on and return to the Premier League but the fantasist in me was hoping he would be a true one club legend and see it out with a sense of wanting to get us back to the Premier League, like a sense of responsibility but I guess money talks in football.

Whilst he may not be the outright leader we need, his engine, movement and passing skills fit this new system RM is implementing and, like with his run again SW at the weekend to set up Che, he has the ability to be dangerous in this division.

What matters now is how we spend this money. We cannot afford to go for another gamble on youth. We need a tried and tested replacement who has shown they are capable of doing the job in this division. I am praying we get one, or two new midfielders in, a goal scorer, a big physical defender who can pass and a goal keeper before the window closes plus any others to replace anyone else who leaves (and needs replacing). Ideally offloading Lyanco, Bree, Aribo, Mara and McCarthy too would be the cherry on the cake.

Yes we have a large squad but I would rather us sign the players we need to get us back into the Prem and have a larger squad, wasting a bit extra on wages for the players we don't want than wait to see if we can sell any of the unsellables before replacing them with what we need. Last night showed that there are a lot of players which aren't fit to wear the shirt. Stick them in the Under 21's for the season and forget about them. If we sell them, great, if we can't then we can deal with that at the end of the season when we know better where we stand. We need a quality first 11 plus subs to mount a serious push for this season. Hoping SR can see this.

May need a bigger squad than you think if the yellow/red card quota stays at its current level.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

May need a bigger squad than you think if the yellow/red card quota stays at its current level.....

It won't, players/coaches will learn to adapt to the rules, and the refs will also drop in there zealous approach. The whole point is to change behaviour of the players, and except for a few who will not be favoured by their coaches it will work.

32 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good luck to him.

Someone's reported the rumour on Twitter now, well done.

Can I start a rumour that Pompey are signing James Bree, McCarthy and Onuachu

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

Someone's reported the rumour on Twitter now, well done.

Can I start a rumour that Pompey are signing James Bree, McCarthy and Onuachu

Yes of course. 

McCarthy to Pompey for £2m. £1m if they take Bree and Onachu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bit of a car crash let's be honest. We're gutting the team with the season already started and when we seemingly don't even need the cash. Board's words start to ring very hollow if Tino, lavia, JWP, sulemana, and presumably kwp/Adams all leave. We've not done anywhere near the right kind of business to offset that, and it's going to rip the heart out of the playing squad and any hopes for promotion. Sets the scene of every man for himself and the dross that lost to gillingham being left behind. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He literally begged to leave on the local radio station just days before the final game of last season. I agree he’s been great and I wish him all the best but this idea that money talks when he went on Solent and begged anyone in Europe to sign him is absurd. He’s been keen on leaving for a while, we need a reset, he does too, we’ve got a ridiculous deal when you take the emotion out of it and hopefully we can move on quickly. 

Would be hilarious seeing them relegated though and us going up though and no, we shouldn’t be getting him back in that scenario. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

Guess the 30m with good conditions comes from west ham's friendly mouthpiece so maybe a bit more than that but over 30m is about par i think for JWP.

Now lets get Lavia out the door for 50m and we are gonna go shopping.

Opportunities for players to step up and lead this team with Stephens - see charly being one.

Edited by Convict Colony

I do get all the players moving on to better themselves etc comments . I just find it annoying that these players did not turn up for the club last season,did not give 100% effort or commitment, and did not play to the best of their ability. Agreed bad managers and tactics came into it but in my opinion that is still part of the reason why the club got relegated. Those same players will now move on to better wages etc, doesn’t seem right in my book.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Oldandtired said:

I do get all the players moving on to better themselves etc comments . I just find it annoying that these players did not turn up for the club last season,did not give 100% effort or commitment, and did not play to the best of their ability. Agreed bad managers and tactics came into it but in my opinion that is still part of the reason why the club got relegated. Those same players will now move on to better wages etc, doesn’t seem right in my book.

Love the username - welcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Some suggestion that he wants one more game to say goodbye to the fans. I hope he pisses off if he tries that and I wouldn't be sad to see him booed. Leave if you want but don't try and have your cake and eat it. 

Bro millions of pounds are involved, sentiment wont come into it.  If they complete or nearly complete the deal he doesn't play for everyone's benefit, if this is still just noise he plays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Some suggestion that he wants one more game to say goodbye to the fans. I hope he pisses off if he tries that and I wouldn't be sad to see him booed. Leave if you want but don't try and have your cake and eat it. 

Why?? It may be a little strange, sure but his heart is obviously in the either place in making the request.

He'll only play if he's still our player and boo'ing our own players is moronic. 

Bit of a twitchy bum, unsettling time for us fans, but I guess it was always going to be like this. The blessing is its happening in good time to allow us to rebuild. Hopefully the Lavia issue will be sorted soon and our management team can start re shaping things the way they need to to take us forward.

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Anyone who thinks he’ll play to “say goodbye “ is either fucking deluded or about 10 years old. 

I just can't see why either of the 3 parties involved would want this. Who does it benefit apart from, as you say, 10 year olds. 

• Like 1