Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Exactly.some wallies even asking why he’d choose West Ham over Saints. So wonderfully naive and rose-spectacled. JWP was going to be off as soon as we went down, exactly the same as Lavia. Russell Martin said he thought he’d be off soon after getting here, and like you say he also said our squad is too big and we need to get rid of a few before there’s any more incomings. All this has been out there for weeks; the club knew it and most fans knew it too. But it seems as if there were more shonky B&B merchants in the woodwork than I first thought.

Tbf, I've not seen anyone question why he'd choose West Ham over Saints. Please tell me that isn't a serious question being asked.

6 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Expected it. Knew it was coming. Still, now it’s here, I’m really fucking sad about it. 

It turns out a tiny part of me still thought JWP may want to help us get back up.

Regardless of your thoughts on him as a player, (I know a few on here weirdly dont rate him), he is a leader and our talisman.

He will leave a huge void and he is one of the very few likeable players we had left. 

Not only that, I trust SR’s recruitment & scouting as much as I would trust a wet fart. 

Absolutely bang on. Respected him as a player and a man. Not felt like this about a player since Le Tiss left if I am being honest. 

• Like 2

Gutted to see him go, I wonder if he might have stayed if we had signed good a striker who would benefit from his deliveries into the box., probably not but it might have boosted his ego and value until he left in January transfer window 

20 minutes ago, Matty's Caddy said:

All this tippy-tappy football, recycling of the ball, get to the by-line and 2 passes later it’s at our keepers feet, it’s fuckin boring football and easy to defend against. 
Maybe JWP is part of the problem? When was the last time you saw him slide a defence splitting pass? 
If you wanna play keep ball in injury time when you’re 1 up then yeah, he’s your man. 
KWP is another guilty of this, goes backwards and sideways enabling the defender to turn around and reorganise. 
Edozie is also being turned into the same. 
If this fella grimes can ping passes 40yds out to our pacey wingers, I say happy days. 
Would be nice to see a defender turned round running towards his own goal for a change. 

Other than both those players being directly involved in both of our goals on Friday, yeah they're part of a problem...

What a moronic post.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Our fiabnaces are better than every other team in the division. We should be able to blow the majority out of the water, certainly the ones without parachute payments. I'd be looking at Coventry and Middlesborough for certain. Swansea too. 

Our finances may be better but the likes of Coventry and Middlesborough at this point will be after the lure of the premier league (which dwarfs our finances). Maybe in January if they are doing poorly they'll cash in. Last season's relegated teams didn't go round raiding the top championship clubs in August.

Swansea seem to have a bit less ambition. Someone like Grimes is also at an age where if they can sting us for a massive fee they may view it as being a good deal

why would he stay though? He'll still have an eye on the Euros, although it's unlikely. Why do we expect him to stay? the only players who stay at one club forever are the likes of Mark Noble, as no one better actually want them. It's almost as ridiculous as saying Tino should stay because the medical staff looked after him so well so he 'owes us'

I'm gutted he's gone, like most of us. It's mainly the young twitter brigade amongst us who cant handle it as they've only been following since 2010. I thought we would let Lavia go, and keep JWP. We just have to trust Wilcox has a plan in place.

Give him his emotional farewell speech and free kick reel, then move on

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Our finances may be better but the likes of Coventry and Middlesborough at this point will be after the lure of the premier league (which dwarfs our finances). Maybe in January if they are doing poorly they'll cash in. Last season's relegated teams didn't go round raiding the top championship clubs in August.

Swansea seem to have a bit less ambition. Someone like Grimes is also at an age where if they can sting us for a massive fee they may view it as being a good deal

Last seasons championship teams didn't just make 125 million. 

£27m guaranteed + £3m performance based add ons for JWP. 

I think it seems low as we've got more for Tino and will also for Lavia. 

I don't think it's realistically too far off his true value. Maybe a case to say £35m. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sfcphilc said:

I don't think it's realistically too far off his true value. Maybe a case to say £35m. 

Keep on saying this, but we should just get flat fees for anyone we sell. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

It’s a difficult one to price in. Lavia and Tino have got years of their careers ahead of them, plus they’re on a low wage. JWP hits 29 soon, not old at all but it’s a consideration. Plus rumours were he was on 100k a week and May / may not have had a relegation clause, so wages become a factor for a lot of clubs in his market, even if he did take a dip. There clearly weren’t a lot of PL clubs taking a nibble so we might have taken a bit of a haircut compared to what was hoped for. But, in the end, not a bad deal IMO. As you say, £35M maybe about a par score, so we perhaps dipped under but still a good amount of cash in.

Edited by The Kraken
Added an M, £35 is probably a bit cheap.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

So it turns out, like a smll minority have said along, despite all of the media nonsense patting ourselves on the back, we do indeed need to sell and we wont get the fee we demand. 

'Players leave on our terms'.. we'd be better off just keeping our mouths shut to be honest.

Haven't our manager and DoF have been saying we need to sell in interviews for quite a while though? That's the impression I got anyway.

We got pretty much what we wanted for Livramento and it seems like we're nearly there with Lavia too. 

Not all clubs will always get what they want for every transfer for one reason or another, but I'd say we're doing pretty well with outgoings so far this window.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

How about a tombola? £1 a ticket and you could win a bottle of Lidl wine, some regifted chocolates no one likes or James Bree. 

lucky dip sale? Dip into the bowl and pull out a ticket, whatever number is on the ticket is the additional discount you get on any of our sale items.

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Fab really has developed a hard on for photoshopped images this window.

As attention whores go he's jumped the shark for me now.

Give me circle of trust insights instead🤣

I just assumed these were AI-generated

35 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

If we'd sold him for only £27M guaranteed fees then its pretty pathetic from the board frankly. Only way that can be read is that we wanted the sale. He would likely have played every minute of every league game, easily bagged double figures for the season, and had 3years left on his contract? There had better be something good incoming because currently our only serious CM options are Charles and Smallbone... And we're one sale/injury away from Bree at RB 😂. Suspect we'll run into issues with selling teams now as they'll know we're desperate and loaded.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Anyone who thinks JWP isn't one of our greatest players in the last 35 years is crazy 

He wouldn’t get in our best side the past 10 years, yet alone 35. Fuck me, people throw pony like “greatest” around too much nowadays. 

Being the stand out player in our side is a bit like being crowned the most interesting Belgian, funniest German or prettiest skate chick. He’s not a patch on some of the players we’ve had the past 35 years. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If we'd sold him for only £27M guaranteed fees then its pretty pathetic from the board frankly. Only way that can be read is that we wanted the sale. He would likely have played every minute of every league game, easily bagged double figures for the season, and had 3years left on his contract? 

You do understand that football players are sentient beings with their own thoughts, feelings and desires, yes?

Why the fuck does he want to "play every minute in every game" in the sodding Championship?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If we'd sold him for only £27M guaranteed fees then its pretty pathetic from the board frankly. Only way that can be read is that we wanted the sale.

Yeah i assume they did. 100K a week player off the wage bill. Cashing in on a 28yrd old also a factor. I'd have liked to have got a fee million more but it is what it is. JWP is not the Corporal Jones moment for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

The responses to this news on here.... 

You've had more than two months to prepare for this lads, and you're still shitting the bed.

Jesus wept.

Probably the same people who were saying "Good riddance" when he was going to be sold for about £6 Million to Watford a few years ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He wouldn’t get in our best side the past 10 years, yet alone 35. Fuck me, people throw pony like “greatest” around too much nowadays. 

Being the stand out player in our side is a bit like being crowned the most interesting Belgian, funniest German or prettiest skate chick. He’s not a patch on some of the players we’ve had the past 35 years. 

Sorry to hear you disagree with that. Not entirely surprising though 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The responses to this news on here.... 

You've had more than two months to prepare for this lads, and you're still shitting the bed.

Jesus wept.

Don’t see anyone shitting the bed?

We’ve just lost our club captain… what do you expect? Joy and rainbows?

• Like 3

I always liked JWP but I know people on here were quite split. Beyond his free kicks I think he had a good engine, a good pass, pretty good vision and rarely missed a game.

But I won't be losing sleep over the sale - as nice a bloke as he is too he's nearly 29. This was most likely his last chance at a big money move. Personally I dont think West Ham is right for him, I think there are a lot of issues at that club that need resolving but if nobody else is going to come in for him there are not a lot of options for him. We need to move on post JWP and Lavia and rebuild the midfield. We don't know if Charles is going to be any good, Smallbone will be little more than tidy and so it is now all on Charly.... who may yet be courted by big sides. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Don’t see anyone shitting the bed?

We’ve just lost our club captain… what do you expect? Joy and rainbows?

A bit less shock on something that anyone could easily foresee happening from before June.

• Like 3

I had a feeling we’d lose Tino, JWP, Lavia and Salisu. Let’s face it if ABK had been fit he’d have gone also and probably still will. I have a feeling that KWP, Adams, Sulemana and Tella may also depart late into the window, and maybe Smallbone as well especially as he and his agent will have a sniff of the Prem. By the international break on 9th Sept we’ll be a very different side. If that sounds a bit melodramatic it’s worth remembering last season and how all bar two contributed two the relegation farce. So unsettling, but interesting times. Think we’ll scrape top half, no better. I first went the Dell as five year old, sixty years this October. I can’t explain it but my levels of disinterest have gone through the ceiling, more so than in the preceding six decades.

Edited by Winnersaint
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

A bit less shock on something that anyone could easily foresee happening from before June.

Don't think anyone is shocked, I would say the overwhelming emotion is concern. Some of that concern is driven by the timing. Selling our captain and best player one day after the total ineptitude of some of the squad players was brutally exposed is almost bound to trigger a more extreme reaction than it would have done had we sold him 2 weeks ago and already sorted a replacement. His performance on Friday, in contrast to the performances last night, shows how important he could have been to us. He's gone now and we need to move on but the fee seems poor, relative to his value to us this season and we are now back in the hands of the recruitment team with pressure to get it right and quickly. 

• Like 6

Not sure about greatest but I think he is probably in our top 100 players since the premier league was formed, so will be a loss. 

Having said that, he might be a bit cultured for this league. I think we could be stronger in the long run if we have more of a defensive bite in midfield. 

We have pots of cash, and could do what Leiberr and Cortese did with their extended version of the Magnificent Seven in L1. At least now we get to see if Jason Wilcox is Bolton’s answer to Henry Kissinger or Eddie Edwards. If he’s worse than the artist formerly known as Rasmus we will likely be losing to Gillingham in the league in a years time having gone from seaside farce to Greek tragedy. Interesting era to support SFC chaps, it was ever thus.

Hope Prowsey gets what he wants from the move, but I can’t stand West Fucking Ham! 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, James said:

Don't think anyone is shocked, I would say the overwhelming emotion is concern. Some of that concern is driven by the timing. Selling our captain and best player one day after the total ineptitude of some of the squad players was brutally exposed is almost bound to trigger a more extreme reaction than it would have done had we sold him 2 weeks ago and already sorted a replacement. His performance on Friday, in contrast to the performances last night, shows how important he could have been to us. He's gone now and we need to move on but the fee seems poor, relative to his value to us this season and we are now back in the hands of the recruitment team with pressure to get it right and quickly. 

Exactly. Lose on Saturday with the squad down to the bare bones in places and there's going to be real grumblings at the fans forum next week. I really do feel that this is the very worst time to lose some of the positivity from last week. A win on Saturday is so important. 

• Like 2