Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

I see Chelsea have now bid 48 million for Lavia. What’s the fucking problem with these big clubs not understanding we want 50 million? 

I’m sure you’d be the first person moaning if we just paid the asking price for every player without negotiating first. Calm down man…

• Like 1

Oh dear - apparently we're up against Palace for Downes, along with Middlesborough and Leeds. Hope his relationship with Russell is a strong one. Can we give them McCarthy and some money for them to withdraw?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

If Palace are in the race, surely he goes there? Otherwise, you’d hope his relationship with Martin has the same pull as it did with Manning.

The only thing we might be able to offer is guaranteed first team football. His aim will be to rebuild his reputation to play for West Ham next season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ankerson double backed into our general running because he didn’t fully trust the old board members after summer AND the mess of Joe Shields

Although he didn’t do a particularly great job, it wasn’t necessarily the plan

Also the more I read that post the more it absolutely doesn’t tie in to any info Ive had, or anyone else around the club have had… for a start we very much are looking to be promoted this year, and the clubs trying to gear towards that… thats before the Ankerson stuff, most around the club are aware he only stepped in temporarily 

Absolutely Rasmus also made a perfect scapegoat for the bedwetters.

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Schmeichel would be insane, That would be incredible. I'm dreaming now to just be disappointed come September 1st.

Me too. It’s too obvious perhaps, but would solve so many problems in gelling a truly competitive squad. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DT said:

Oh dear - apparently we're up against Palace for Downes, along with Middlesborough and Leeds. Hope his relationship with Russell is a strong one. Can we give them McCarthy and some money for them to withdraw?

About £27m should do it! 

13 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I fail to see the positives if literally every decent player from last year leaves. It would essentially make this season a write off. I also don't get why the club would do that. Even if they all want to go, why would we allow every single one of them to leave with a couple of weeks left to source suitable replacements? I could see why quite a number of them would stay but all of them leaving seems unlikely to me because we simply wouldn't be able to adequately replace them in time. 

I’m with you on this hundred percent ..we are all accepting that sales will be made and the likes of lavia jwp etc we’re inevitable..but to let everyone who has the chance to move go would be ridicolous ..some of these players like Alcaraz and sulemana have only been here since January .. surely you can hold them for at least a season ?

one thing with our club we seem a bit to obsessed with doing what the player wants ..in some cases ok but we shouldn’t be doing it to the detriment of our promotion hopes and I really hope we are ready to put our foot down soon and say we have sold enough now and  to tell some of these like tella you are in our plans for promotion and are not for sale 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John B said:

Currently our squad is no where near PL standard without JWP Lavia Tino ABK so what is the point of going up this season if we come down again next

Jesus of all the pessimistic silly season comments this has to be up there with the best 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I’m with you on this hundred percent ..we are all accepting that sales will be made and the likes of lavis jwp etc we’re inevitable..but to let everyone who has the chance to move go would be ridicolous ..some of these players like Alcaraz and sulemana have only been here since January .. surely you can hold them for at least a season ?

one thing with our club we seem a bit to obsessed with doing what the player wants ..in some cases ok but we shouldn’t be doing it to the detriment of our promotion hopes and I really hope we are ready to put our foot down soon and say we have sold enough now and  to tell some of these like tella you are in our plans for promotion and are not for sale 

I must have missed something, where has it come from that we are selling every player?

• Like 1

Sports Republic are always going to say promotion back to the premier league is the aim.

But we all know their priority is to make money. And the model seems to be to make money from signing players from top 6 academies, improve them and flip them for a profit - and to develop players from the Saints academy and sell them on - and move young players from abroad through the Sports Republic network of clubs and sell them.

They are not going to say it but none of that really needs Saints to be in the premier league - and maybe it’s easier if we are in the Championship as although the revenue goes down so does the cost basis. And players are easier to sell to a bigger market of premier league clubs and not just the top 6.

Edited by Rebel
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

Sports Republic are always going to say promotion back to the premier league is the aim.

But we all know their priority is to make money. And the model seems to be to make money from signing players from top 6 academies, improve them and flip them for a profit - and to develop players from the Saints academy and sell them on - and move young players from abroad through theirbnetwork of clubs and sell them.

They are not going to say it but none of that needs Saints to be in the premier league - and maybe it’s easier if we are in the Championship as although the revenue goes down so does the cost basis. 

Not true really. They had absolutely no reason to state that promotion was the stated aim for this season in such categorical terms. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

But we all know their priority is to make money. And the model seems to be to make money from signing players from top 6 academies, improve them and flip them for a profit - and to develop players from the Saints academy and sell them on - and move young players from abroad through theirbnetwork of clubs and sell them.

They are not going to say it but none of that needs Saints to be in the premier league - and maybe it’s easier if we are in the Championship as although the revenue goes down so does the cost basis. 

Pretty much the red bull playbook then.

I'm quite happy with that.

8 minutes ago, Rebel said:

But we all know their priority is to make money. And the model seems to be to make money from signing players from top 6 academies, improve them and flip them for a profit - and to develop players from the Saints academy and sell them on - and move young players from abroad through the Sports Republic network of clubs and sell them.

They are not going to say it but none of that really needs Saints to be in the premier league - and maybe it’s easier if we are in the Championship as although the revenue goes down so does the cost basis. And players are easier to sell to a bigger market of premier league clubs and not just the top 6.

None of that makes any sense. As Tella has shown, you can absolutely smash the Championship and few teams will have any interest in paying anything North of £20m for you. Then there’s the fact that all the top talent, like Lavia and ABK, isn’t going to want to play Championship football at all, when they can ply their trade at any number of bottom half Prem teams and get much more interest from higher up. Finally the idea that we’re selling to a bigger market down here is absurd, we could just as easily sell players to Everton or Spurs in the Premier League, if we were so inclined.

• Like 3

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Did you come to that conclusion because we’ve signed an ex RM player and a City kid ?

Groundbreaking stuff

are you able to give any insights into what kind of player we will be bring in? 

Ie, will they be from Swansea or Man city?

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

None of that makes any sense. As Tella has shown, you can absolutely smash the Championship and few teams will have any interest in paying anything North of £20m for you. Then there’s the fact that all the top talent, like Lavia and ABK, isn’t going to want to play Championship football at all, when they can ply their trade at any number of bottom half Prem teams and get much more interest from higher up. Finally the idea that we’re selling to a bigger market down here is absurd, we could just as easily sell players to Everton or Spurs in the Premier League, if we were so inclined.

Exactly, Brighton have made loads more selling in the Premier League.

We seem to be living in fear that if we don’t let our young upcoming stars jump ship when they want to that the next lot of lavias etc won’t want to come to us .. but I would argue that getting back to the premiership and being able to give these guys premiership minutes is the real lure .. if we have to hold a few of these to do that then so be it . the premiership pull makes us more attractive then us dwelling in the championship letting players have their moves 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive read some fucking stupid shit before, but the board actively avoiding getting promoted this year is well up there

I'm not sure what post you're referring to, but assuming it was Pilchards, he hasn't really said that.  

There's a big difference between actively avoiding and being realistic in your expectations and planning accordingly. I'm fairly sure there were a few quotes (can't remember who from? Maybe Rassmus or Wilcox) basically saying the aim was for promotion, but we're prepared for 2 years in the championship. 

To some extent it makes sense that we'd aim for promotion next season and if it happens this season, that's a bonus. 

If our out and out goal was promotion this season, (all be it we only are for the right price) we wouldn't be willing to sell anything that isn't nailed down.

I do tend to agree that if we some how win promotion this season, we'd need significant investment again next summer to stay up.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

are you able to give any insights into what kind of player we will be bring in? 

Ie, will they be from Swansea or Man city?

I genuinely don’t get any info on incomings whatsoever, I just hear bits and pieces from the training ground and on occasion stated board aims, like finances are available and we want to prioritise promotion etc… tbh a lot of the latter stuff is probably low value info and stuff they wouldn’t mind being made public

Im not sure anyone is genuinely privvy to our transfer targets if Im honest, thats pretty highish level info

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I genuinely don’t get any info on incomings whatsoever, I just hear bits and pieces from the training ground and on occasion stated board aims, like finances are available and we want to prioritise promotion etc… tbh a lot of the latter stuff is probably low value info and stuff they wouldn’t mind being made public

Im not sure anyone is genuinely privvy to our transfer targets if Im honest, thats pretty highish level info

Ta. I just hope those who inevitably come on, are obviously (and demonstrably) good enough to start almost straight away.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

If Palace are in the race, surely he goes there? Otherwise, you’d hope his relationship with Martin has the same pull as it did with Manning.

Please stop posting stuff from football insider. I mean for gods sake.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not true really. They had absolutely no reason to state that promotion was the stated aim for this season in such categorical terms. 

Not sure that's true - Can you imagine the uproar if they came out and said 'its going to be a tough season, we're going to lose a lot of key players and not replace them with anywhere near the same quality. We'd be happy with top 6 this season and anything extra is a bonus'.. They stated what people wanted to hear. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I'm not sure what post you're referring to, but assuming it was Pilchards, he hasn't really said that.  

There's a big difference between actively avoiding and being realistic in your expectations and planning accordingly. I'm fairly sure there were a few quotes (can't remember who from? Maybe Rassmus or Wilcox) basically saying the aim was for promotion, but we're prepared for 2 years in the championship. 

To some extent it makes sense that we'd aim for promotion next season and if it happens this season, that's a bonus. 

If our out and out goal was promotion this season, (all be it we only are for the right price) we wouldn't be willing to sell anything that isn't nailed down.

I do tend to agree that if we some how win promotion this season, we'd need significant investment again next summer to stay up.  

It was a number of posts, and the club is committed to promotion apparently but we need a bit of realism.. has any club ever gone down and not had to lose first team players ?

In fairness we’ve stood firm on all except JWP as far as our valuations are concerned, which was always the stated strategy, even Wilcox said as such

So far, as I said previously, we’ve only lost players we knew we would (Orsic, Diallo, Salisu… soon to be Lavia/JWP) and we’ve extracted good value there… Tino was of course not one we thought we would lose, but at 40m it was probably sensible

In return so far we’ve brought in last years best LB and Charles, who looks good but as far as balance is concerned we need to see how he turns out

I am however starting to agree, we need bodies, particularly in CM and CB sooner rather than later

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler said:

Jesus of all the pessimistic silly season comments this has to be up there with the best 

You are wrong! This by far and away the best......so far! I can say with some certainly, there are others on here working hard to come up with something even more ridiculous....

• Haha 2