Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Looks like it's gonna be Chelsea signing Lavia then..unless Brighton are interested now? 

that’d actually be good move for him. Two years in a top mid half team and then he’ll probably be worth £100m+. It’s probably the scenario we envisioned when we signed him. 

£110m for Caciedo is mental money. Just shows how prices go up when big clubs are involved 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Looks like it's gonna be Chelsea signing Lavia then..unless Brighton are interested now? 

Brighton would arguably be the best move for him.  Guaranteed starter and a team on the up.  He'd probably sell for £100m himself in a couple of years 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

that’d actually be good move for him. Two years in a top mid half team and then he’ll probably be worth £100m+. It’s probably the scenario we envisioned when we signed him. 

£110m for Caciedo is mental money. Just shows how prices go up when big clubs are involved 

We could stick a cheeky sell on clause in there. Win win. 

Given the fees for Rice and Caicedo, whoever picks up Lavia for £50m is getting a good deal. Potential world class teenager who will give years of service. Credit to him for not kicking up a fuss and forcing our hands as we've seen in a few in the past, even now he's seen a move to Liverpool break down.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Given the fees for Rice and Caicedo, whoever picks up Lavia for £50m is getting a good deal. Potential world class teenager who will give years of service. Credit to him for not kicking up a fuss and forcing our hands as we've seen in a few in the past, even now he's seen a move to Liverpool break down.

This - dont really rate Rice or Caicedo in the 100m fee's - 60-75m would be ok, think Chelsea have dodged a bullet with that money especially when they need some actual goalscorers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Maybe I’m biased, but I do not understand why you wouldn’t bid £50m for Lavia but you would spend £110m on Caicedo, that’s crazy.

Agreed. Is Caicedo really more than twice as valuable (or indeed twice as good?!) as Lavia?!

Maybe I’m biased too! 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Turkish said:

£110m from a club who wewre quibling over the extra few million to buy Lavia for half of that !

Hope Lavia realises where fault lays for him not getting his move to Liverpool, it certainly isn't with Saints, although in his head it might be.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Hope Lavia realises where fault lays for him not getting his move to Liverpool, it certainly isn't with Saints, although in his head it might be.

Wasnt there a suggestion that ideally he didnt want to go to Liverpool but was hoping City would come back in for him ?

If that is true i dont think he'll be too upset, he knows there will be other options and he'll be gone by 1 September. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Brighton would arguably be the best move for him.  Guaranteed starter and a team on the up.  He'd probably sell for £100m himself in a couple of years 

I wouldn’t be so sure. Caicedo might have been key to Brightons success…raised their game significantly so that without him they’ll not be quite as good. And would a junior player really chose Brighton over Chelsea…even though Brighton are doing well they’re arguably punching above their weight with possibly a limited lifetime in the top half of the Prem table?  If it was the only path back into the Prem he would take it though I suspect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Galling to read but true.

Credit to Gao, Semmens and Rasmus for their roles in 'Southampton Football Club: my part in their downfall'.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Fully expect Lavia to go to Chelsea now. Joe Shields, a 48m bid rejected and now missing out on Caicedo with a 100m bid. They have the money and Poch probably wants a CDM to sit alongside Enzo 

I wonder though, could RM channel some of that disappointed energy, and get him to put in one more mssterclass this weekend for Norwich? As a kind of 'prove them wrong' jobby. 

Probably not, but would be nice. I guess we will see Chelsea move quickly having missed out on Moises

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

When Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd etc are chasing you, I doubt he has Brighton on his radar now as much as it would make sense.

9 hours ago, Chez said:

How do you know? We've only played one game at this level.

Wonder if Burnley fans were thinking 'we've got the best defence in the league' after one game.

Come on, after the shambles of last season and the continuing inability of our defence to cope with set plays high into the box, its clear there’s plenty of evidence. And in terms of Burnley, I was reflecting on their entire season, not just one game.

18 minutes ago, santolijador said:

Fully expect Lavia to go to Chelsea now. Joe Shields, a 48m bid rejected and now missing out on Caicedo with a 100m bid. They have the money and Poch probably wants a CDM to sit alongside Enzo 

I wonder though, could RM channel some of that disappointed energy, and get him to put in one more mssterclass this weekend for Norwich? As a kind of 'prove them wrong' jobby. 

Probably not, but would be nice. I guess we will see Chelsea move quickly having missed out on Moises

If I was Saints I would say the fee has now gone up to £60m, see how desperate they really are.

28 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Caicedo might have been key to Brightons success…raised their game significantly so that without him they’ll not be quite as good. And would a junior player really chose Brighton over Chelsea…even though Brighton are doing well they’re arguably punching above their weight with possibly a limited lifetime in the top half of the Prem table?  If it was the only path back into the Prem he would take it though I suspect.

Brighton had a good group of players and decent manager, so not totally down to him. Let’s see if the can replace him and not lose other players to keep up their challenge to the big six. 

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

Galling to read but true.

Credit to Gao, Semmens and Rasmus for their roles in 'Southampton Football Club: my part in their downfall'.

I’ll have to dig out Spike’s war memoirs - truly funny (certainly 40 years ago when last read)!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Maybe I’m biased, but I do not understand why you wouldn’t bid £50m for Lavia but you would spend £110m on Caicedo, that’s crazy.

Got to hand it to Brighton, that is absolutely insane money for him. More than Rice! 

Different players, different systems

6 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Brighton had a good group of players and decent manager, so not totally down to him. Let’s see if the can replace him and not lose other players to keep up their challenge to the big six.

To be honest I hope Lavia does go there and improves them. Unless they’re playing Saints I want them to do well - as it’s my birthplace they’re kind of my ‘second’ team.

Klopp on excessive transfers....

"If you bring one player in for £100m and he gets injured, then it all goes through the chimney," the German said.

"The day that this is football, I'm not in a job anymore, because the game is about playing together.

of course, Ceicedo will be branded a generational talent and world class from now on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Liverpool seem like a mess and a team in decline. I know their fans and ex players have been kicking off, I wonder if this overly extravagant  acquisition is in some way to placate the mob?

Rice was too much money in my opinion, but he has been at the top of his game  and improving for a few years now, where as I hadn’t really heard of Caicedo until last season. I’m sure plenty will say they have been following his career with interest, but not me.

18 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

I’ll have to dig out Spike’s war memoirs - truly funny (certainly 40 years ago when last read)!

Read them all last year, still brilliant, funny but also tragic. You may view them differently with 40 extra years under your belt.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Liverpool seem like a mess and a team in decline. I know their fans and ex players have been kicking off, I wonder if this overly extravagant  acquisition is in some way to placate the mob?

Rice was too much money in my opinion, but he has been at the top of his game  and improving for a few years now, where as I hadn’t really heard of Caicedo until last season. I’m sure plenty will say they have been following his career with interest, but not me.

I've been following Caicedo and his career with interest.  He's a baller.  He's got a hammer for a right foot, a cultured left foot that acts as both a wand and can open a tin of beans, a football for both an eye and a brain.  I'd say he doesn't just glide across the pitch - more like he hovers above it.

Oh and, for a big man, he's got a great first touch and he can leap like a trout.

Worth £110M of anyones money and then some.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Read them all last year, still brilliant, funny but also tragic. You may view them differently with 40 extra years under your belt.

They are superb. Read the collection first at school in the 80s when we could chose our personal reading books in English and remember trying not to burst out laughing. Vivid images. The first book is rather typical Milligan zany (OTT) but as the series proceeds beautiful tragi-comic prose. Man was a genius. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Why would they just accept our valuation? I'm not saying it's wrong, but they may feel we have been asking too much all along. Who knows. He wants the move. The new contract. He doesn't care what saints get paid. If the move falls through he could well blame us.

If Liverpool really believe Caicedo is worth over double what Lavia is worth they need to give their head a wobble.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

So they've got to want to be here. But we've also got to want them to be here. And if we don't want them to be here, regardless of how they feel about the shirt etc., they can fuck off? Is that how it works?

Not quite, because based on past judgements, if they want to be here, the club want them to be here, and the fans want them to be here, they're likely to be crap.

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

IF the JWP move gets delayed and he plays for us Saturday, would he be captain? I'm all for him playing if the move is still a few days away but not sure about him being the one everyone looks to for commitment inspiration!

Who looks at the on-field captain for commitment and inspiration?

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

What's a captain there for if not that?

Be the on-field manager, if anything at all. Talk to the younger players, help organise those around him etc

Some teams even rotate their captains. In England, we look upon the role of Captain as some sort of cult.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

"If you bring one player in for £100m and he gets injured, then it all goes through the chimney," the German said.

"The day that this is football, I'm not in a job anymore, because the game is about playing together.

of course, Ceicedo will be branded a generational talent and world class from now on.

Caicedo can only be world class once he's been coached by Klopp for at least 12 minutes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

This - dont really rate Rice or Caicedo in the 100m fee's - 60-75m would be ok, think Chelsea have dodged a bullet with that money especially when they need some actual goalscorers.

I actually do think Rice was worth around 100m, it’s probably a tad excessive but if you actually look at his metrics, even in a poor WHU side (sorry anti stat dinosaurs) then he is effectively the best at what he does in the prem, which is effectively win the ball, resist a press and distribute it forward… Arsenal play a pressing system and he’s very good at it, so he is worth the money

Caicedo is very good, but Im not entirely sure he is in that 100m bracket, he’s probably more destructive than RL and able to bring the ball forward better, but isnt as press resistant and his ball playing from deep isn’t as good… so its horses for courses really

That said, looks like Chelsea are attempting to break through the Caicedo deal anyway so might be back to square one

• Like 1

Let’s be honest - Caicedo is the finished product already, with improvement to come, he’s much better than Lavia currently. It’s a move that makes sense for a Chelsea / Liverpool - it’s gamble free (bar injury) on a player who will have immediate impact and it’s an investment they can make as it’s probably the difference of silverware/champs league or not. 
It also means Lavia is worth £50-£60m as if he progresses as expected in the next 2 years he’ll be a £100m player too. But that remains a bit of a gamble. 

Just now, goodymatt said:

Agreed, he will likely be back in the champ this time next year. Opportunity to prove himself in the PL though. 

Got to take the chance of a season in the premier league, to none at all. A decent season may result in staying up there in some capacity.

Better off not at Coventry, from a selfish PoV. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

This was what he said when he picked a team which contained a world record fee for a goalkeeper and centre back I believe 

full of it yet the media lap it up

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've largely stayed away over the Summer so not sure what's going on with a few of our players. Is Che pushing for a move? Seems like a no brainer that he would be a clear starter this season and I much prefer him over Adam Armstrong but is he likely to actually stay? Same with Sulemana, what's going on there? As would have him ahead of Edozie. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This was what he said when he picked a team which contained a world record fee for a goalkeeper and centre back I believe 

He is already been quoted (reference Caicedo) that Liverpool have to be careful when completing this deal as they do not have funds like other clubs.

Poor them

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Agreed, he will likely be back in the champ this time next year. Opportunity to prove himself in the PL though. 

I didn't realise quite how bad a state Sheffield United are in - if they hadn't got promoted they would have been screwed.  Even now it doesn't look like they can do anything other than plan for a season at the bottom and try and get as much money as they can doing it.  Decent opportunity for Hamer and no doubt Sheffield United will probably make some money on him but I think they could be worse than we were last season and possibly threaten Derbys points tally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

When Liverpool win they're "plucky underdogs" when they lose it's because they can't afford to compete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1