Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

7 hours ago, waylander said:

Their bid of £48M for him is a pretty strong indicator

Nice. Very good.

My point was that how do we know all these reported (supposed) Lavia bids are bona fida? I don't believe half the stories being published these days. Just cos Sky, talksport or twitter say it, doesn't mean it's true.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

None of those players play in the same positions as Lavia and JWP. 

Charles, Smallbone, Doyle, Alcaraz, Stu all can play CM. We do have bodies. Maybe not championship winning ones though.

• Like 1

Just now, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I know some on here think this guy is a chancer but I personally think he has some inside info at saints somehow 

He has given some good snippets this summer, but anybody could conclude that about Lavia

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

If those in the Circle of Trust are happy I'm happy. There must be something big about to break.

I told you on Wednesday to expect some very good news very soon and this can only be considered very good news 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I know some on here think this guy is a chancer but I personally think he has some inside info at saints somehow 

I suspect he knows one of the young Saints players, so this kind of snippet will be accurate and Lavia deal effectively done you'd think.

11 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Duplicate post 

Edited by Chez

24 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

End of the week.

Isn't that today ? Doesn’t leave very long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Grimes and Downes are very decent acquisitions at this level, we basically probably have the Championships best midfield 

From the little I’ve seen of them I thought they were quite similar, fairly nimble, neat ball playing midfielders.

Is Charles seen as the enforcer ?

Violinists, roadsweepers and all that from Laurie’s days. 

• Like 1

Just now, Badger said:

From the little I’ve seen of them I thought they were quite similar, fairly nimble, neat ball playing midfielders.

Is Charles seen as the enforcer ?

Violinists, roadsweepers and all that from Laurie’s days. 

I think they are very different. Downes gets his foot in and is aggressive but not that much creativity. Grimes would be the heartbeat of the team, setting the tempo and has a superb range of passes especially 30-50 yards. 

• Like 1

Very much hope we keep Smallbone too as he will be crucial in ball retention, methinks. And for cover. But Grimes and Downes is not bad business. Hope we can add Piroe, and kick McCarthy into the English Channel

• Like 2

I'm not convinced we'll end up with a midfield of Charles, Downes, Grimes, Smallbone and Alcaraz.  I know they all have different attributes and can play different positions but doesn't really tie in with the idea of trying to reduce the size of the squad especially when we've got others like S Armstrong that can also play in central midfield.

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'm not convinced we'll end up with a midfield of Charles, Downes, Grimes, Smallbone and Alcaraz.  I know they all have different attributes and can play different positions but doesn't really tie in with the idea of trying to reduce the size of the squad especially when we've got others like S Armstrong that can also play in central midfield.

I'd be surprised to see us play five in midfield. Maybe Downes as the holding player with Smallbone and Grimes in front. If so presume Alcaraz would play as a forward.

Losing a captain gaining a captain seems a harmonious solution. Same age both articulate. G knows the Championship and most importantly knows R and what he wants. 
IF G comes then he’s an immediate starter to replace JWP for sure. 
My wish list preference would be to collect P at same time. The time we save having to “ train” players in how R wants to play may be a factor - and with those plus Manning we are already somewhat ahead of the game…

• Like 2

Just now, saintant said:

I'd be surprised to see us play five in midfield. Maybe Downes as the holding player with Smallbone and Grimes in front. If so presume Alcaraz would play as a forward.

Sorry, I meant having all of them as options rather than on the pitch at the same time.  I don't see us playing all of them either but was thinking more along the lines of squad size.  It's a possibility but doesn't really fit with having to reduce the size of squad.

• Like 2