Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

59 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

I reckon we'll end up with Downes and Grimes to replace to JWP and Lavia. Annoying that we have to go through this limbo stage whilst we deal with the "big" clubs offering below our asking prices, which goes back to RM's recent comments that the window should end before the season starts.

He’s been aware of it all along. Doesn’t mean he isn’t still pissed off about. Full confidence in Jason Wilcox. Probably our best signing. I reckon Mowbray is an asset too especially as “ he won’t see his family, watching at least one match a day and living out of a suitcase “

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I know some on here think this guy is a chancer but I personally think he has some inside info at saints somehow 

He’s just picking up some comments from Martins presser. Zero inside knowledge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Completely off topic of course, but linked to the Spike Milligan comments and and (I think) a funny story for you Spike fans.....with a tenuous link to football.

I was privileged to meet Spike a few times and would occasionally see him in the Bayswater (London) area, where he had his office. I still have a personal letter I received from him which I treasure.

Anyway - the story.....It was 1997 (I just checked) and my Dad's Birthday was approaching. I saw that Spike was signing a new book about The Goons at John Menzies in the City of London. My Dad was a massive Goons fan. I was working in London at the time, and thought it would make a great present, so on the day, I parked my car in the City (those were the days) and went off to John Menzies. There was already a massive queue around the shop and I joined the end of it. The queue moved at a snail's pace partly because Spike didn't just sign people's books, but had a chat, or a laugh and joke with absolutely everyone he was signing the book for. I queued for about 2 hours in total. It felt like it was taking forever. As I queued, I noticed all around the shop were signs and posters displayed, which read 'NEXT WEEK! JIMMY GREAVES WILL BE SIGNING COPIES OF HIS NEW BOOK'.

Eventually it was my turn to step forward and have my book signed. I stepped forward but suddenly stopped in front of him. "Oh bloody hell" I said. "What's wrong?" asked Spike. I said "I've queued here for two solid hours to get my book signed and I thought you were Jimmy Greaves!" He laughed. I laughed. Everyone around laughed. He took the next book off the pile and said "I am Jimmy Greaves. Do you want me to sign it Jimmy Greaves?" (More laughter) I said "No, it's for my Dad, he won't get the joke, you'd better sign it Spike Milligan". More laughter. I left the shop, returned to my car and of course......I'd got a parking ticket for overstaying my welcome.

My Dad passed away 10 years ago, but when he died I took possession of the book and still have it......published 1997.....and thankfully signed "Spike Milligan" and not Jimmy Greaves. Yes I've read all his "war" books. Incredibly funny and sad in equal measure. He was certainly a hero of mine. The man was, with the greatest respect, completely bonkers in terms of his comedy, but then he was, in my opinion, a genius.

As I say, completely off topic, but thanks for letting me share this memory. I have other stories about him, but another time maybe. 

I saw him perform in ‘Son of Oblomov’ in 1966 (?) just after my wife and I first met. I thought he was hilarious burnt she was left wondering what she had let herself in for.

A couple of years ago on a rainy February Sunday in Sydney we went north on a train trip to Woy Woy for somewhere to go. A girl in a small shopping mall told us that Spike used to pop in there regularly. His parents had emigrated there and he lived with them for a while and wrote Puckoon in their house. He called the place "the world's only above-ground cemetery" but they still celebrate him and they have named a bridge after him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Two of our back four are different to last season. Different coach and worse opponents too. You don't know how we will go this season, just as Burnley Fans didn't know at the start of last season how they'd go without three or four of their starting prem defenders.

Saying we aren't as good as a side that won the league when you don't know how good we actually are is just speculation. We might be better...yeah, ok, I'm kidding myself now.

Of course it’s speculation - without a crystal ball or time travelling device, we only have our own intuition based on available evidence. If there was a possible way of comparing how confident Saints fans are now compared to how confident Burnley fans were at the beginning of last season, I would wager that on average the latter would more confident.

You just can’t dismiss the last 3-4 seasons of utter crap football, poor defending and lack of firepower when those issues have demonstrably not really been resolved, with most of the responsible players still stinking the place out. As I’ve already said, the next 3 weeks will be crucial in making a break from the past.

• Confused 1

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Of course it’s speculation - without a crystal ball or time travelling device, we only have our own intuition based on available evidence. If there was a possible way of comparing how confident Saints fans are now compared to how confident Burnley fans were at the beginning of last season, I would wager that on average the latter would more confident.

You just can’t dismiss the last 3-4 seasons of utter crap football, poor defending and lack of firepower when those issues have demonstrably not really been resolved, with most of the responsible players still stinking the place out. As I’ve already said, the next 3 weeks will be crucial in making a break from the past.

We have already broken with the past.

Really happy with Downes - lets hope we have an opton (and he enjoys it here). Not sure he's a JWP L4L replacement and will likely play in the deeper role, so not sure what that means for Charles or Smallbone. 

I'd imagine that Smallbone could play a little further forward in the '8' / 'box to box' / 'traditional CM' (whatever you want to call it)ut again would start to find game time tough if / when Grimes comes in. 

Feel like we need to really focus on getting a forward in now. If Adams sticks around, great, but we need competition / a replacement for if / when he goes. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, manji said:

We have already broken with the past.

Yes if you mean managerial appointments - we’ve still got a lot of players on the books and starting games that have been a huge disappointment. But in fairness that’s changing, so some semblance of hope to cling to.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's winning against Norwich I'm concerned about at the moment. 

Then Charles, Smallbone and Alcaraz better get the job done. 

There is sizeable investment there. No one is spending the £20m+ that we have on two of those in this league. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Then Charles, Smallbone and Alcaraz better get the job done. 

There is sizeable investment there. No one is spending the £20m+ that we have on two of those in this league. 

I'm just crossing my fingers that we have no cb injuries. Anything goes wrong with bednarek or Stephens and it's Lyanco at the back or Charles and then no one to play in midfield. The sooner Lyanco goes and we replace him the better. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Losing a captain gaining a captain seems a harmonious solution. Same age both articulate. G knows the Championship and most importantly knows R and what he wants. 
IF G comes then he’s an immediate starter to replace JWP for sure. 
My wish list preference would be to collect P at same time. The time we save having to “ train” players in how R wants to play may be a factor - and with those plus Manning we are already somewhat ahead of the game…

I’ll have a P please bob.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

They lost pretty much their entire back four and keeper, all if which were highly regarded. And you think Burnley fans were more confident about their defence one game in? I can't be bothered trawling through their fans website as I am pretty confident this wasn't the case.

I share your concerns, especially about strength in the air, but should KWP and ABK stay, I would say our group was pretty decent for this level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm just crossing my fingers that we have no cb injuries. Anything goes wrong with bednarek or Stephens and it's Lyanco at the back or Charles and then no one to play in midfield. The sooner Lyanco goes and we replace him the better. 

Lyanco for a game or two...shudder...wont kill us, hopefully.

How far away is ABK from being fit/ready to do a medical?

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

They lost pretty much their entire back four and keeper, all if which were highly regarded. And you think Burnley fans were more confident about their defence one game in? I can't be bothered trawling through their fans website as I am pretty confident this wasn't the case.

I share your concerns, especially about strength in the air, but should KWP and ABK stay, I would say our group was pretty decent for this level.

Not their defence alone…their prospects for the season ahead as a whole. It’s good you think our group is pretty decent for this level…at this point my optimism is somewhat more muted/reserved.

47 minutes ago, manji said:

He’s been aware of it all along. Doesn’t mean he isn’t still pissed off about. Full confidence in Jason Wilcox. Probably our best signing. I reckon Mowbray is an asset too especially as “ he won’t see his family, watching at least one match a day and living out of a suitcase “

They are probably stoked.

13 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

If we can get £15m and that's also Swansea's asking price for Piroe... nothing lost.

You could possibly argue nothing gained.  In my view it’s Arma who needs to go have a fresh start rather than Che, but that won’t happen even though he’s proved himself to be a ‘one season wonder’ and not really suited to Martin’s system.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Clarity
  • Like 2

You could possibly argue nothing gained.  In my view it’s Arma who needs to go have a fresh start rather than Che, but that won’t happen because he’s proved himself to be a ‘one season wonder’ and not really suited to Martin’s system.

He's also the one tied into the longer contract, whereas Ché has the expiring deal.

• Like 1

You could possibly argue nothing gained.  In my view it’s Arma who needs to go have a fresh start rather than Che, but that won’t happen because he’s proved himself to be a ‘one season wonder’ and not really suited to Martin’s system.

Don't disagree.

I think Che's contract situation and PL will force us into this sale, rather than Arma. 

• Like 1

I’m just waiting for the BBQ to get hot and perusing the free agents list. 

Wow there are some players on their without clubs.

Before I get slated, I know there is a lot of the behind the scenes pandering that goes on. 

But I’d take loads of players on the list………………

26 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not their defence alone…their prospects for the season ahead as a whole. It’s good you think our group is pretty decent for this level…at this point my optimism is somewhat more muted/reserved.

If ABK and kwp leave it will be a lot weaker. But No point in worrying. Enjoy the ride. 

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I think they are very different. Downes gets his foot in and is aggressive but not that much creativity. Grimes would be the heartbeat of the team, setting the tempo and has a superb range of passes especially 30-50 yards. 

Promising.

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

That move makes sense. He was completely dominant at their place and that won't have been forgotten.

Losing of our one striker of any real quality doesn’t seem a good move to me. What does £13 million get you ? Wouldn’t even by the whole of tall Paul  and look how that’s turned out. I think he would be a very good operator in the championship 

• Like 3

Just now, Galway saint said:

Losing of our one striker of any real quality doesn’t seem a good move to me. What does £13 million get you ? Wouldn’t even by the whole of tall Paul  and look how that’s turned out. I think he would be a very good operator in the championship 

Piroe is being touted at £15m, so quite a lot in this division 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Galway saint said:

A striker of real quality doesn't miss from one foot.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Piroe is being touted at £15m, so quite a lot in this division 

We need more than one striker and AA and the other chumps aren’t up to it. If we sell him there’s no guarantee Piroe will join but even if he does then I still think adams makes a significant contribution to a serious promotion push.