Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

An inevitable day, sadly. The first big hitter to leave.

As long as we are pro-active in the aftermath. Then at least it was sooner rather then later.

This is the key for me, we keep hearing the snippets about how we have x and y lined up ready to go. Let's see that then, talk is cheap and we need to be ready to go in the days we have left. Lots and lots to do, and my hunch is that the posts will keep changing as we have quite a few to leave the building still.

I can understand the approach of not buying when we already had so many players etc, but with JWP, Lavia soon out of the door and Tino already gone....we now have to add.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Shame to see Ward-Prowse go. Felt that when the inevitable struggle to breakdown teams was going to occur this season that at least we could look to win a few free-kicks around the box and then use his weapon to get the decisive goal. We've also usually had a good free-kick taker since I've been supporting Saints. Bale, Lambert, Ward-Prowse. Who takes over now? Guess the set-piece coach does have to do some work now, but it will also be nice to have someone else take over corner duties as every manager has put Ward-Prowse on them through default of him being good at free-kicks.

Who we replace him with is also key. We won't be able to get a player as good as Ward-Prowse in the Championship. But, Downes and Hamer are probably the two best realistic options. Grimes would be a good Smallbone replacement, but going from Ward-Prowse to Grimes would also be a big drop in quality. Also replacing him with another unknown youngster would be a bit of a shambles.

For Ward-Prowse, plenty of better players have left us for other English sides and struggled over the years. Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Lallana, Clyne, Lambert, Lovren, Fonte and Ings. Van-Dijk, Mane, Alderweireld and Shaw after a couple of ropey years at the start the outliers and they were all elite when they were here. It's definitely a risk on his side and he could be giving up being the poster boy of Southampton, worshipped by many and being remembered for a lifetime, for becoming a forgotten bit part player at West Ham like Fonte. They aren't exactly known for their sound recruitment and Moyes' future is in doubt already. He could have been the captain that led Saints back to the Premier League.

That's 2/3 players selected to model the new shirts gone this summer. Last time I take any notice of that!

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is the key for me, we keep hearing the snippets about how we have x and y lined up ready to go. Let's see that then, talk is cheap and we need to be ready to go in the days we have left. Lots and lots to do, and my hunch is that the posts will keep changing as we have quite a few to leave the building still.

I can understand the approach of not buying when we already had so many players etc, but with JWP, Lavia soon out of the door and Tino already gone....we now have to add.

Yep. Just like last summer when loads of people said not to panic and we had lots of striker targets lined up. When it came down to it no one was interested in joining and we ended up with no one. I think we will get players in but will they be good enough for promotion?  I'm not sure and I'd go so far as to say probably not. Especially as any replacements won't have had any of our preseason which makes it all a bit pointless really. 

• Like 4

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Yep. Just like last summer when loads of people said not to panic and we had lots of striker targets lined up. When it came down to it no one was interested in joining and we ended up with no one. I think we will get players in but will they be good enough for promotion?  I'm not sure and I'd go so far as to say probably not. Especially as any replacements won't have had any of our preseason which makes it all a bit pointless really. 

I would say there is sense in getting in players like Downes due to that, as he already has a genuine understanding of what is required of him in this system. Similar with Grimes. Those are the sorts we'll target in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist about Smallbone possibly going. If he wants to go, he can fuck off. Fuck me if we can’t replace him, we really are in trouble. 

is it possibly because we would be left without anyone in centre midfield?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

it's crazy to think that less than a year ago Gakpo was trying to decide between us, Leeds, and staying with PSV Eindhoven

Edited by SaintTex

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I would say there is sense in getting in players like Downes due to that, as he already has a genuine understanding of what is required of him in this system. Similar with Grimes. Those are the sorts we'll target in my opinion.

Wasn’t it reported that Downes turned down the opportunity to join us?

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Wasn’t it reported that Downes turned down the opportunity to join us?

Is that recently? His view may have chanced now that WHU have signed Alvarez and JWP, his place in the team has just plummeted.

• Like 1

So it turns out, like a smll minority have said along, despite all of the media nonsense patting ourselves on the back, we do indeed need to sell and we wont get the fee we demand. 

'Players leave on our terms'.. we'd be better off just keeping our mouths shut to be honest.

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I've been baning the drum all along that we needed to shift these players a month ago, rather than haggling over a few million. 

Its going to come back to bite us on the arse. "players are willing to wait for us" until there is a better offer on the table. 

Aarons is a huge loss and going to leave a huge gap when KWP leaves. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dman said:

So it turns out, like a smll minority have said along, despite all of the media nonsense patting ourselves on the back, we do indeed need to sell and we wont get the fee we demand. 

'Players leave on our terms'.. we'd be better off just keeping our mouths shut to be honest.

It feels to me that £30-35m was always our going-rate for JWP, not entirely sure why as it does seem a little on the cheap side, given that Tino went for £40 and hasn't played for 18 months - maybe there is some sort of release clause for JWP we're not privy to?

I think the bartering with West Ham has been to get most, if not all, as a guaranteed immediate fee - which they weren't offering at the start.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Grimes is probably the most like for like with JWP. Downes is a different player all together and more aligned to playing the deeper holding role, which Smallbone is currently opperating in. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

I've been baning the drum all along that we needed to shift these players a month ago, rather than haggling over a few million. 

Its going to come back to bite us on the arse. "players are willing to wait for us" until there is a better offer on the table. 

I agree with you. I would have tried shifting them weeks ago even if it was for slightly less. Had we got rid of kwp and Tino back then we may have had a chance for Aarons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Grimes is probably the most like for like with JWP. Downes is a different player all together and more aligned to playing the deeper holding role, which Smallbone is currently opperating in. 

If Smallbone is going then Downes makes sense!

23 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Shame to see Ward-Prowse go. Felt that when the inevitable struggle to breakdown teams was going to occur this season that at least we could look to win a few free-kicks around the box and then use his weapon to get the decisive goal. We've also usually had a good free-kick taker since I've been supporting Saints. Bale, Lambert, Ward-Prowse. Who takes over now? 

Alceraz obvs

Just shows what a free for all it is and that no one really knows who is staying or going. 

I thought JWP would stick around and the likes of Tino would be here as well.

I thought Lavia, KWP, Sulemana and Adams would’ve been gone very early in July. Just shows how topsy turvy the window is.

It is what it is. As above. Time for SR to back up all their talk with action.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

If Smallbone is going then Downes makes sense!

I thnk Downes makes sense anyway tbh. Good player especially at this level, knows the system, knows the manager. 

Will certainly improve us, but we have a big JWP sized gap (i.e box to box) in our midfield now and have little to noone who can fill that 

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Letting smallbone leave would be another idiotic decision by the club. 

Contract talks will dictate that one, by all accounts there has been no progress on a new deal (we offered him one). For what it's worth I don't see him going, any footballer going to Sheffield United this summer will need their head looking at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Just shows what a free for all it is and that no one really knows who is staying or going. 

I thought JWP would stick around and the likes of Tino would be here as well.

I thought Lavia, KWP, Sulemana and Adams would’ve been gone very early in July. Just shows how topsy turvy the window is.

It is what it is. As above. Time for SR to back up all their talk with action.

We'd be in a much better position if all these players had left weeks ago. Having them all leave at once at the end of the window is the worst position to be in, particularly because other clubs know we are desperate. 

• Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Contract talks will dictate that one, by all accounts there has been no progress on a new deal (we offered him one). For what it's worth I don't see him going, any footballer going to Sheffield United this summer will need their head looking at.

Then he stays right? After all, we don’t need the money apparently.

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

In other news, Saints turn down offer from Sheff Utd for Smallbone.

I assume he's one that is not for sale no matter what the money. (Obviously everyone has a price but I assume his would be higher than most teams would pay). Otherwise it becomes a case of "last one out, turn out the lights!"

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Then he stays right? After all, we don’t need the money apparently.

With the amount of money we are raking in, there is no need to sell Smallbone. Especially if it's for a low fee. Might as well just use him for the season (he clearly understands the managers game plan) and let him go on a free if he doesn't sign a new deal. 

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

With the amount of money we are raking in, there is no need to sell Smallbone. Especially if it's for a low fee. Might as well just use him for the season (he clearly understands the managers game plan) and let him go on a free if he doesn't sign a new deal. 

Everyone is for sale at this club. Regardless of the shite that the club put out in PR, they will sell anyone if a reasonable offer comes in for them. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

Everyone is for sale at this club. Regardless of the shite that the club put out in PR, they will sell anyone if a reasonable offer comes in for them. 

Surely that's the reality of our situation. Even when we were in the Premier League we never kept hold of anyone long enough to truly benefit from them. Le Tiss was the execption along with perhaps Dodd and Benali. You can trace that right back to Shearer, Kenna and Flowers leaving for Blackburn. Ultimately every club is a selling club if the deal is right.

Edited by Lee On Solent Saint
Missed word

23 minutes ago, Dman said:

Have we now reached the stage where players we haven't even signed are going to leave a huge gap? We're in more of a mess than I thought.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

Grimes is as far removed from JWP as you could get - have you seen the 40-50 yard passes he pings and nearly all of them right on the money? Totally different skill set.

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

I have suspected this for a while and half expect alcaraz to go as well. 

we will be left with all the real shyte.

the only real question for me is will we spend enough if it to remain competitive or will they keep it and pay off all the money they have spent and some.

16 minutes ago, Dman said:

Of course they will and so they should. Every player has a price.

why is everyone getting themselves at it because JWP is going? We always knew it was very likely and we know it was likely a lot of our better players would move on once we go a fee that they thought was enough. We also knew we had to thin the squad down to bring new players in. If you expected anything else then you're either not listening to what the clubs been saying or deluded.

• Like 9

Just now, saintant said:

Blimey, I've just waded through today's post, knowing that JWP has been sold, yet nothing about incomings from those in the Circle of Trust. Are their contacts letting them down?

wait and see, we dont want to alert other clubs that read this forum to what we are doing. Relax, there will be some very good news very soon 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Of course they will and so they should. Every player has a price.

To be fair the club have (will have) made an incredible profit on 3 players. It was always going to happen.

Leeds have loaned players out and are likely to lose Adams and Sinisterra as well.

Leicester have lost Barnes and Maddison.

Just now, Turkish said:

wait and see, we dont want to alert other clubs that read this forum to what we are doing. Relax, there will be some very good news very soon 😉

Knew you'd not let me down. I will await the very good news with relish - may not sleep tonight with the excitement 🙂 

• Like 1

All this tippy-tappy football, recycling of the ball, get to the by-line and 2 passes later it’s at our keepers feet, it’s fuckin boring football and easy to defend against. 
Maybe JWP is part of the problem? When was the last time you saw him slide a defence splitting pass? 
If you wanna play keep ball in injury time when you’re 1 up then yeah, he’s your man. 
KWP is another guilty of this, goes backwards and sideways enabling the defender to turn around and reorganise. 
Edozie is also being turned into the same. 
If this fella grimes can ping passes 40yds out to our pacey wingers, I say happy days. 
Would be nice to see a defender turned round running towards his own goal for a change. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

why is everyone getting themselves at it because JWP is going? We always knew it was very likely and we know it was likely a lot of our better players would move on once we go a fee that they thought was enough. We also knew we had to thin the squad down to bring new players in. If you expected anything else then you're either not listening to what the clubs been saying or deluded.

Exactly.some wallies even asking why he’d choose West Ham over Saints. So wonderfully naive and rose-spectacled. JWP was going to be off as soon as we went down, exactly the same as Lavia. Russell Martin said he thought he’d be off soon after getting here, and like you say he also said our squad is too big and we need to get rid of a few before there’s any more incomings. All this has been out there for weeks; the club knew it and most fans knew it too. But it seems as if there were more shonky B&B merchants in the woodwork than I first thought.

• Like 3

Expected it. Knew it was coming. Still, now it’s here, I’m really fucking sad about it. 

It turns out a tiny part of me still thought JWP may want to help us get back up.

Regardless of your thoughts on him as a player, (I know a few on here weirdly dont rate him), he is a leader and our talisman.

He will leave a huge void and he is one of the very few likeable players we had left. 

Not only that, I trust SR’s recruitment & scouting as much as I would trust a wet fart. 

• Like 7