Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Just get it over and done with. Always been convinced he’s going but, until he (and Lavia) actually do we can’t bring in replacement(s). Nice to have JWP in the short term but need to get on with the long term once he’s gone. I’d hope it’s Grimes and one other coming in but I very much doubt that and it’ll just be one being as we’ve added Charles and Smallboner is back in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Just get it over and done with. Always been convinced he’s going but, until he (and Lavia) actually do we can’t bring in replacement(s). Nice to have JWP in the short term but need to get on with the long term once he’s gone. I’d hope it’s Grimes and one other coming in but I very much doubt that and it’ll just be one being as we’ve added Charles and Smallboner is back in

I personally think we need 1 now, so if JWP goes we’ll need 2

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I personally think we need 1 now, so if JWP goes we’ll need 2

I think the same but I think we’ll only get one. Leaves us with Smallbone, Grimes and Charles. Plus Alcaraz, who tonight manager says he’s heard no noise about leaving and really wants him to stay. I’d like two and think we need it, but we’ve already two had players in for that position and we need to reduce squad size,

Edited by The Kraken

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I think the same but I think we’ll only get one. Leaves us with Smallbone, Grimes and Charles. Plus Alcaraz, who tonight manager says he’s heard no noise about leaving and really wants him to stay. I’d like two and think we need it, but we’ve already two had players in for that position and we need to reduce squad size,

The problem is we play a 3 man midfield and have;

Smallbone, JWP, Charles, Alcaraz.. even if JWP stays thats not enough.. we’re 1 or 2 injuries/suspensions from S Armstrong/Aribo in there

• Like 2

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

The problem is we play a 3 man midfield and have;

Smallbone, JWP, Charles, Alcaraz.. even if JWP stays thats not enough.. we’re 1 or 2 injuries/suspensions from S Armstrong/Aribo in there

I don’t disagree! As I say, I’d like two but I think we’ll get one. Hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Always thought at our best (i.e under Koeman), we were really fast and direct. Not long ball, but always looking to break and go forward with pace - a bit like Cov... Personally that's my preferred way, I think we'll be way too predictable this season. 

To be successful in this league the way RM wants to play you have to field better technical players than the opposition. Seems like a very tall order at present. I think Grimes is a good signing of the type we need, I’d shelve the YTS if we are serious this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

To be successful in this league the way RM wants to play you have to field better technical players than the opposition. Seems like a very tall order at present. I think Grimes is a good signing of the type we need, I’d shelve the YTS if we are serious this season.

Is Grimes all that? Not convinced he will get us promoted.

• Like 5

Not convinced on Grimes at all.

JWP - let’s see I suppose. Or stein is generally pretty reliable, funnily and fortunately, West Ham and transfer business are not. 😂

Lavia is going. It’s just up to Liverpool how long they want to piss about haggling. Personally I’d up it a million pounds every time they under offer what we value him at.

Our squad is woefully bloated with talentless “players”. Just get them off the books either way, sell him or release them, just get them out.

Pretty evident we still need some form of depth and experience in our squad.

• Haha 1

Weird that we have these experts on Grimes, literally never heard of the player before we got relegated and then appointed Swanseas manager. People must have time on their hands.

I do feel we need players that know the system though and are willing to implement it.

Edited by maysie
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Not convinced on Grimes at all.

JWP - let’s see I suppose. Or stein is generally pretty reliable, funnily and fortunately, West Ham and transfer business are not. 😂

Lavia is going. It’s just up to Liverpool how long they want to piss about haggling. Personally I’d up it a million pounds every time they under offer what we value him at.

Our squad is woefully bloated with talentless “players”. Just get them off the books either way, sell him or release them, just get them out.

Pretty evident we still need some form of depth and experience in our squad.

First backtrack on JWP is definitely not leaving 😂😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

He'd be an improvement on what we'll have after Lavia and Prowse have gone, but I don't think he's the player we need. At least not on his own.

The midfield (and first XI) is extremely lightweight and, aside from the centre backs, weak in the air (and Stephens is pretty ordinary at that). 

For me, we need more height and power in the team. It's all very well having a philosophy manager who wants to only play tippy tappy football, but we're not in the Testimonial League. The Championship is physical and direct more often than not.

And if we can't cope with that (which I don't believe we can at present) we won't earn the right to get on the ball and play a more refined style. 

• Like 3

Martin said we are probably going to lose players we thought would stay and keep players we expect to leave in the post match interview or words to that affect, Imagine the transfer window closed before the start of the season would make things so much straightforward.

Tricky situation between playing your best players and trying to build a coherent team with players that will be here post 1st Sept.

3 minutes ago, maysie said:

Martin said we are probably going to lose players we thought would stay and keep players we expect to leave in the post match interview or words to that affect, Imagine the transfer window closed before the start of the season would make things so much straightforward.

Tricky situation between playing your best players and trying to build a coherent team with players that will be here post 1st Sept.

We are lucky. If it closed before the season we'd miss out on JWP, Adams and maybe KWP appearances. We don't get better when JWP departs 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Charles, Smallbone, Stu, Grimes and Alcaraz. Not convinced there is the right mix there unless Charles can be dominant in the holding role.

Championship side with any midfield quality exiting, so a case of who we can afford and who is willing to come. Preference after our last experience in this league is round pegs in round holes. Been saying all summer we need a new spine front to back, and that includes a Romeu type central midfielder, don’t think that’s Charles this season however hard the board would like it to be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

We are lucky. If it closed before the season we'd miss out on JWP, Adams and maybe KWP appearances. We don't get better when JWP departs 

If he’s doing to leave we need to have a plan without him -be that some kind of replacement or someone else in the squad.

Although I agree with your statement it’s short term thinking and I wouldn’t count us lucky to have this uncertainty.

I think JWP would get 15 goals and nearly as many assists for us in the Champ so obviously the best outcome would be West Ham keep on doing wet farts.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Absolutely. He's never been a 30-yard passer and that has been one of the knocks on him, but his "knitting and stitching" in the middle of the park, with 10-15 yard passes and his incredible engine, are absolutely crucial in Martin's system. I fear that we'll miss him even more than we think. I'm not looking for a "big name" replacement but someone who can perform that role. As well as Smallbone has been playing, I'm not sure that he can do it.

• Like 5

As I see it, this is the current state of play (players in brackets are U18 or U21 squad players, players in bold are those who may possibly leave):

GK - McCarthy, Bazunu, Lumley, Bycroft - all done, but Bycroft may go on loan or be sold?

FB - KWP, Manning, Perraud, Bree, Larios, (Meghoma), (Abu) - Maybe all done but if we sell KWP we may need a replacement, especially if we also sell Perraud.

CB - ABK, Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco, (Awe) - buy one more CB (two if ABK leaves) + we need to sell or loan out Lyanco!!

CM - Lavia, JWP, Smallbone, Charles - If both Lavia and JWP leave we need at least one addition - probably two.

ACM - Alcaraz, S.Armstrong, Aribo, (Doyle), (Dibling) - some wingers can be played here too inc. SAA - probably all done.

WM - Sulemana, Tella, Edozie, SAA, Djenepo - Probably all done here unless both Sulemana and Djenepo leave (but even then Stu or Doyle can also cover these positions). Hopefully Tella is going nowhere!

CF - Adams, A.Armstrong, Mara, Tall Paul, (Ballard) - shame that Ballard has not been promoted to the first team squad as I think he is probably better than Tall Paul, Arma and Mara! Adams may leave and is (imo) not good enough to be our main striker anyway (though better than most/all of the rest with the possible exceptioon of Ballard!). One or two good additions needed if Ballard is still not going to be given his chance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chez said:

Sons mate went to Swansea game on Saturday said Grimes best player on the pitch by a mile but what does he know compared to the experts on here who have never seen him play!

We need a ball winning midfielder too can’t play possession football if can’t get ball in first place. We still need a spine.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

The Mail never get anything right so not getting hopes up.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

Hopefully Mara hasn't got much of a future here after Martin's comments last night. Sounds like a few others have pissed him off too:

"I think it's a big lesson for Sekou and a few of the guys, you need to be all-in in being a professional. All-in, the way you train, the way you play. Don't train one way to play another, train the way we train, we work the way we work so we can go out on the pitch and deliver a certain level of performance.

"And tonight we had too many people that didn't really. Too many that just weren't brave enough to play or didn't want to play the way we really want them to play the first 20 minutes and we paid for that conceding a really poor goal.

"We had nine players who played in the Premier League on the pitch, who I presume would deem themselves Premier League players. You have to be better than that. We showed fight in the last half an hour and it was too late by that point."

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Hopefully Mara hasn't got much of a future here after Martin's comments last night. Sounds like a few others have pissed him off too:

"I think it's a big lesson for Sekou and a few of the guys, you need to be all-in in being a professional. All-in, the way you train, the way you play. Don't train one way to play another, train the way we train, we work the way we work so we can go out on the pitch and deliver a certain level of performance.

"And tonight we had too many people that didn't really. Too many that just weren't brave enough to play or didn't want to play the way we really want them to play the first 20 minutes and we paid for that conceding a really poor goal.

"We had nine players who played in the Premier League on the pitch, who I presume would deem themselves Premier League players. You have to be better than that. We showed fight in the last half an hour and it was too late by that point."

That’s damming, I totally respect him for calling players out.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

tonights going well

Vintage Atheltic of appearing to say a lot without much actual information in the article.

However do see this happening soon. Surely got the funds now to sign a player who would be considered among the best in the league for the position.

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Look at those waiting behind the first 11 or 13.

no chance are we going up. She’d Wednesday away was as good as it gets squad wise for this season.

Said it all along. The championship is a tough place to operate and without goal scorers or decent defenders then it’s middle table at best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

As I see it, this is the current state of play (players in brackets are U18 or U21 squad players, players in bold are those who may possibly leave):

GK - McCarthy, Bazunu, Lumley, Bycroft - all done, but Bycroft may go on loan or be sold?

FB - KWP, Manning, Perraud, Bree, Larios, (Meghoma), (Abu) - Maybe all done but if we sell KWP we may need a replacement, especially if we also sell Perraud.

CB - ABK, Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco, (Awe) - buy one more CB (two if ABK leaves) + we need to sell or loan out Lyanco!!

CM - Lavia, JWP, Smallbone, Charles - If both Lavia and JWP leave we need at least one addition - probably two.

ACM - Alcaraz, S.Armstrong, Aribo, (Doyle), (Dibling) - some wingers can be played here too inc. SAA - probably all done.

WM - Sulemana, Tella, Edozie, SAA, Djenepo - Probably all done here unless both Sulemana and Djenepo leave (but even then Stu or Doyle can also cover these positions). Hopefully Tella is going nowhere!

CF - Adams, A.Armstrong, Mara, Tall Paul, (Ballard) - shame that Ballard has not been promoted to the first team squad as I think he is probably better than Tall Paul, Arma and Mara! Adams may leave and is (imo) not good enough to be our main striker anyway (though better than most/all of the rest with the possible exceptioon of Ballard!). One or two good additions needed if Ballard is still not going to be given his chance.

Not that I think we will lose every jewel (and you could include Alcaraz in bold there as I think he’ll also have his suitors) but that shows how dangerous light and weak our squad could be. Yes we will sign players but the have to a) be good and b) be integrated and ready.

12 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

That’d be a blow... Aaron’s about the best we could have hoped for in this division. Fight Saints!

As for JWP it was always likely he was going to go and I’ll wish him the best, we just wanted the money we were owed for him. I still think he’s crazy if he joins West Ham but the lack of bids from other clubs leaves him without options. Sell him and Lavia and we can start bringing in players and try to keep the better ones we have.

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Just another example of us wasting money by somebody who thought he was going to be a prospect. Pointless signing who has added nothing to the team. 

In reality probably took away from the team, I believe he was one of the a-holes causing issues last season

Only a month or so some of the muppets on Twitter were saying how Mara is “gonna cook” this season. 😂

Lavia, Salisu and Tino brings in £100m, plus a few of the deadwood leaving like McCarthy, Lyanco and Onuachu would bring in a little more and reduce wages.

The club needs to stand it’s ground after that and just say that is it, the rest that are going to be part of the journey, are staying; unless stupid money is offered.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Only a month or so some of the muppets on Twitter were saying how Mara is “gonna cook” this season. 😂

Lavia, Salisu and Tino brings in £100m, plus a few of the deadwood leaving like McCarthy, Lyanco and Onuachu would bring in a little more and reduce wages.

The club needs to stand its ground after that and just say that is it, the rest that are going to be part of the journey, are staying; unless stupid money is offered.

JWP is leaving mate, the club aren’t going to help you out.

5 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Pretty much exactly as I see it. Only variation is that I think Aarons is planned to replace KWP if he goes so think we feel a replacement is definitely needed. 

I also think that final section is where we’re most desperate and have been for 3 seasons. We are woeful up top. We are woeful for cover in midfield and cb, but have starting players. We don’t have a starting 9 and haven’t since Ings left (bar about 3 months when Broja was on fire).

I know some feel the same about GK but feel the club are sticking with Bazunu. 
We’ll obviously need to replace JWP and Lavia with at least one assuming they go but for the love of god can we please get a striker.

Edited by Chewy
Typo
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

JWP is leaving mate, the club aren’t going to help you out.

You’ve clearly not read anything I’ve said then. 🤣
JWP leaving isn’t a concern, the concern is replacing him - please no more teenagers from the blue half of Manchester.
Please buy experience that will be content kicking seven types of shit out of each opposition player for the next 45 matches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You’ve clearly not read anything I’ve said then. 🤣
JWP leaving isn’t a concern, the concern is replacing him - please no more teenagers from the blue half of Manchester.
Please buy experience that will be content kicking seven types of shit out of each opposition player for the next 45 matches.

Errrm pretty sure I’ve read that from you since the start of pre-season. You also didn’t name him above in players being sold.

You should spend less time on Twitter on the Saints timeline and more time in the real world.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

no chance are we going up. Sheff Wednesday away was as good as it gets squad wise for this season.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Said it all along. The championship is a tough place to operate and without goal scorers or decent defenders then it’s middle table at best.

Surely it's too early to make claims like these?

No-one knows what the next three weeks will bring...

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 1