Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I’m fine with this, especially if Swansea have us by the balls on Wood. Is he honestly a £15m defender at this point? For that money, I’d want a guaranteed starter who you know is going to perform in the PL (should we get there).

Holgate will be decent at this level.

Let’s not forget last time we got promoted, Jos Hooiveld was great for us (yet totally shit in the PL) and the backups were Aaron Martin and Dan Seaborne. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I wonder how those players who are just waiting for us to sign them are getting on? I'm assuming it's not Holgate or Downes as they are both loans. 

Grimes - didn’t hang around new deal at swansea

Piroe - didn’t hang around 

Wood - hypocrites and didn’t meet Swanseas asking price 

Paintsil - didn’t want to come here 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

I mean, we've made good money this summer, yet we seem reliant on loans & free transfers for incomings.

That's a fallacy. We spent a load of money the last 2 windows. People assume that we're like someone who's just had a paycheck and now can spend it all. In reality I reckon we're like someone who's got to use their paycheck to pay tick and debt, and only has a few quid left for food and petrol, and has to sell some clothes on vinted to buy new ones, or will have to borrow their mates. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Block41 Saint said:

I think he's a sensible signing who can cover CB and RB but I would like a bit more steel at CB as it does feel like the current batch are too soft. 

One thing I'll say is I'm a bit disappointed not to see a bit more of the money we've made reinvested in the playing squad, I can't see us suddenly going on a spending spree with 6 days left of the window. 

Playing devils advocate here a bit, but I don't really have a problem with getting him on loan. 

A try before you buy - if we go up (unlikley imo), we have ability to move on to better players who'll be more suitable for the PL. 

There was no chance we'd get Downes in on a permanent deal. Maybe if we go up, not in the championship though - this is a shop window for him. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, egg said:

That's a fallacy. We spent a load of money the last 2 windows. People assume that we're like someone who's just had a paycheck and now can spend it all. In reality I reckon we're like someone who's got to use their paycheck to pay tick and debt, and only has a few quid left for food and petrol, and has to sell some clothes on vinted to buy new ones, or will have to borrow their mates. 

Spot on, there’s no club as of yet, even the three relegated ones who have gone out and splashed cash left, right and centre, it’s no coincidence. 

Edited by Appy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Well the fact that they concluded it in about 2/3 days makes it a rushed deal mate, generally transfer negotiations take ages

How do you know that they weren't negotiating in the back ground? Reports were that Swansea wanted £20m for him - they got him for £12 - £16m. 

I'd put a very decent amount of money on the fact that there has been discussions for some time before the deal was announced. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Mowbray must be working hard for all those airmiles…

Three ex Swansea and a swap. Only surprise is that we haven’t fucked up signing another City youngster yet. The black box must be doing its thing again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Don’t worry, certain posters will be along any second to tell us how fantastic SR are doing, despite presiding over one of the most pathetic seasons in our history and managing to fuck up yet another transfer window. 

Here I am. 

Last season was Ankersen's turn to do the deals. He got nearly everything wrong. 

This season it's Wilcox. Convince me that he's done anything wrong so far and I may join you at the panic station. 

Different seasons. Different people. It'll be a different outcome. Relax. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Remember quite a few people were saying earlier in the window SR we’re going to be backing a promotion bid and still supporting us financially. Only an idiot would think we’d spend it all but given we’ve brought in about £130m plus likely another £40m+ before the window closes then you’d have expected at least a few more signings for cash. 

• Like 3

Just now, egg said:

Here I am. 

Last season was Ankersen's turn to do the deals. He got nearly everything wrong. 

This season it's Wilcox. Convince me that he's done anything wrong so far and I may join you at the panic station. 

I don't think he's done a great deal right either - He's shifted the players which bigger teams want, that's about it. 

We don't sign Manning or Downes without Martin being in charge - so he's only really responsible for bringing in Charles. 

• Like 1

I think Holgate on loan is a decent option to add competition. Does it improve the starting 11, no. But it means we actually have some cover / depth in that position. 

I would imagine we would strengthen with someone better if we sell ABK. Otherwise we have him to come back into the team. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Then maybe the club shouldn't be so public in that the "funds will be used to refresh the squad"

Here's what they said on the Tino announcement.

"Although disappointed to lose Livramento, the club chose to accept Newcastle’s latest bid as it both represented fair value for a player of his ability while the fee will also support the wider rebuilding project within the squad this summer."

And JWP.

"While the club is naturally disappointed to see him leave, we understand his desire to continue pursuing his career both in the Premier League and on the European and international stages, and are satisfied that we have now received appropriate compensation for a player of his quality and importance, which can further support the club’s own plans in the remainder of the transfer window."

Call me naive, but from those statements, you would very much expect the funds to be used to fund incomings. Instead we're getting loans & frees rather than investing the money & getting permanent deals. We've seen no sign that those fee's are being used to support the rebuilding project.

I should reiterate I don't expect us to splash it all at once this window. That would be stupid. But something, please! 

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 2

Remember quite a few people were saying earlier in the window SR we’re going to be backing a promotion bid and still supporting us financially. Only an idiot would think we’d spend it all but given we’ve brought in about £130m plus likely another £40m+ before the window closes then you’d have expected at least a few more signings for cash. 

We’ve brought it a fair whack, but you’d be surprised if the club have even got half of that £130m just yet, with the amount of instalments etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

They're a football club who lost their manager and coaching team to us, and were sore over the whole thing. If they want to sell a player l, and we're the only bidder in town, I'd take that point. Otherwise, for this season at least, I don't think they'll want to do business with us. Cutting off noses to spite faces happens across all sectors of business - naive to think it's a primary school thing.

Managers change clubs all the time, all we did was wait until we were officially a Champ team to push the deal through, so we could pay less compensation. It’s basic common sense, if we hadn’t done it everyone on here would be saying we’re complete mugs. Football is business, people running football clubs don’t throw away millions over spite, especially over something like the Martin situation which was basically fair enough.

8 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Don’t worry, certain posters will be along any second to tell us how fantastic SR are doing, despite presiding over one of the most pathetic seasons in our history and managing to fuck up yet another transfer window. 

What have they f**ked up? There’s still a week to go and we’ve already signed three players, with no obvious short comings in our squad. What have you promised yourself which SR haven’t delivered.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

We’ve brought it a fair whack, but you’d be surprised if the club have even got half of that £130m just yet, with the amount of instalments etc. 

yeah but we don’t pay transfer fees all up front either. 

or is we aren’t getting all up front the new “we have agents fees to pay” unlike any other club 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Here I am. 

I could have sold JWP, Lavia, Livramento etc. That wasn’t difficult, and neither was getting good fees for them. He hasn’t yet managed to offload any of the utter shite though, and our incomings are mostly due to Martin so far. 

He talks a good game but he’s not done anything particularly good or bad yet. Guess the next week will tell us a lot, I hope you’re right. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

How do you know that they weren't negotiating in the back ground? Reports were that Swansea wanted £20m for him - they got him for £12 - £16m. 

I'd put a very decent amount of money on the fact that there has been discussions for some time before the deal was announced. 

I suspect plenty of clubs have been in contact, but the story of their bid still broke late Wed eve and they got it done last night

Just now, LGTL said:

I could have sold JWP, Lavia, Livramento etc. That wasn’t difficult, and neither was getting good fees for them. He hasn’t yet managed to offload any of the utter shite though, and our incomings are mostly due to Martin so far. 

He talks a good game but he’s not done anything particularly good or bad yet. Guess the next week will tell us a lot, I hope you’re right. 

Apart from Salisu, Diallo and DCC?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SaintNewForest said:

Then maybe the club shouldn't be so public in that the "funds will be used to refresh the squad"

Here's what they said on the Tino announcement.

"Although disappointed to lose Livramento, the club chose to accept Newcastle’s latest bid as it both represented fair value for a player of his ability while the fee will also support the wider rebuilding project within the squad this summer."

And JWP.

"While the club is naturally disappointed to see him leave, we understand his desire to continue pursuing his career both in the Premier League and on the European and international stages, and are satisfied that we have now received appropriate compensation for a player of his quality and importance, which can further support the club’s own plans in the remainder of the transfer window."

Call me naive, but from those statements, you would very much expect the funds to be used to fund incomings. Instead we're getting loans & frees rather than investing the money & getting permanent deals. We've seen no sign that those fee's are being used to support the rebuilding project.

I should reiterate I don't expect us to splash it all at once this window. That would be stupid. But something, please! 

I don't know how you interpret that as saying that what he receive from transfers is all to be spent on transfers.

Anyways the point is that it's not a matter of how much we spend, or even if we buy it loan. It's simply about assembling a squad that RM is happy with and that will get us promoted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don't think he's done a great deal right either - He's shifted the players which bigger teams want, that's about it. 

We don't sign Manning or Downes without Martin being in charge - so he's only really responsible for bringing in Charles. 

Behave. All 3 have been signed on Wilcox watch. All 3 are decent. 

• Like 2

We just have to realign our expectations now we’re in the championship and remember that the market is always a bit of a domino effect. I personally feel like we’re missing quite a few components but until I fully shit the bed, I’ll wait another week and see what’s what. I’d like to think that if we really wanted Piroe for example we could have got him for £12m and let Everton have Che for £15m staggered. I’m holding on to the fact that we’ve hired some proper people like Wilcox from the footballing perspective and the Dyson fella from a commercial POV. I don’t think they would come here if it was all penny pinching and just balancing the books etc. It’s very easy to be reactionary and I guess we just have to wait and see what happens and “TRUST THE PROCESS”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I suspect plenty of clubs have been in contact, but the story of their bid still broke late Wed eve and they got it done last night

so say your theory is right and they 'rushed' through a deal and still managed to agree a fee for less than originally quoted, what would stop us from matching that offer when news of the deal broke? (by the way, newsflash, clubs talk to agents so would have known way in advance of the press). 

As we know, personal terms are loosely agreed in advance of a deal with the club being agreed. Once a fee is settled, aside from a medical, what else is there to agree? 

You're talking shite. Its a good deal for Leeds, its not some form of rushed panic buy. A rushed panic buy is spending £20m on Big Paul. 

Edited by Dman

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't know how you interpret that as saying that what he receive from transfers is all to be spent on transfers.

Anyways the point is that it's not a matter of how much we spend, or even if we buy it loan. It's simply about assembling a squad that RM is happy with and that will get us promoted.

Where did I say that? Reread it again, and come back to me.

In fact, I'll sum it up from my original post;

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Wood was signed by Martin for 250k so not going above 10m incl add ons seems ok to me but then I am still waiting until 1st Sept to judge

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Apart from Salisu, Diallo and DCC?

Salisu wasn’t shit, neither was DCC particularly and that’s a loan anyway. Diallo and Orsic are about it so far. 

Edited by LGTL

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Behave. All 3 have been signed on Wilcox watch. All 3 are decent. 

Come on mate, its bloody obvious that the 2 ex Swansea players have come here because of Martin. That's fine, they look decent deals for this level, but they're some sort of Wilcox masterclass. 

Time will tell - I'm biding my time before I get carried away that he is some kind of genius. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They want/need PL money more than me and you want to see us being thumped 5 nil at City.

Personally I have no issue with loans. Players coming in, bedding in for a season, playing a season, then being sold are no more 'our player' than someone can come in and hit the ground running for a season. 

I think the finances are tight tbh, we wasted a fortune and need to balance. I think that our strategy this season is sound.

SR know what we need for this season, and I'm confident we'll get it. 

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Salisu and DCC shit? Really?!!!

What, Mr I’ Don’t feel like playing this weekend’ and Mr ‘I got mugged off by a League 2 defender’? They can p*ss off as far as I’m concerned, as well as Orsic, who I forgot to mention (and you took the p*ss in January when I suggested maybe not paying "whatever it takes" to get the deal done).

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Wood was signed by Martin for 250k so not going above 10m incl add ons seems ok to me but then I am still waiting until 1st Sept to judge

Yet we won’t sell a player until our price is met so why should we expect others to behave differently. What he was signed for was irrelevant, we only paid £5m for Tino, does that mean Newcastle should have moved on to other targets?

12 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Exactly this.  When he gets us fees for flogging the likes of Lyanco, Djenepo and Tall Paul I might indulge him in some back-slapping.  Until then, he's flogged our most saleable assets and not used his supposed "book of world class contacts" to bring in anyone of note, other than Charles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

What, Mr I’ Don’t feel like playing this weekend’ and Mr ‘I got mugged off by a League 2 defender’? They can p*ss off as far as I’m concerned, as well as Orsic, who I forgot to mention (and you took the p*ss in January when I suggested maybe not laying "whatever it takes" to get the deal done).

Salisu and DCC are both decent enough players they just evidently didn’t want to be here. 

yes I got Orsic wrong he was a poor signing, I thought he’d be decent, it happens. so didn’t the club, they didn’t sign him because they thought he was going to be crap and we’d have to flog him at a loss did they.  Because it didn’t work out doesn’t make you some master transfer guru. 

Edited by Turkish

Yet we won’t sell a player until our price is met so why should we expect others to behave differently. What he was signed for was irrelevant, we only paid £5m for Tino, does that mean Newcastle should have moved on to other targets?

Different though with Tino isn’t it they paid for potential and few years younger .I don’t care about what Newcastle should or shouldn’t do they are cash rich we aren’t.

we have set a value for players in and out if that’s not met we don’t do business that’s been clear all summer.

7 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

But easy to see why people are questioning their ability to do good business after last season

I struggle with this. Last season the intention was top drawer - they spent a fortune. The execution, mostly from Ankersen, was terrible.

SR have clearly acknowledged that Ankersen isn't the man to right the wrongs. He's been shipped off to Turkey, and Wilcox and Mowbray have come in. 

Suggesting that last season's off the field mistakes will be replicated by new people makes as much sense as suggesting that RM will make the same mistakes on the field as our various managers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Different though with Tino isn’t it they paid for potential and few years younger .I don’t care about what Newcastle should or shouldn’t do they are cash rich we aren’t.

we have set a value for players in and out if that’s not met we don’t do business that’s been clear all summer.

It isn’t any different. Wood is 21 years old and proven at this level. I’d say we’re buying proven ability now and potential, so really isn’t that different just a different level of player 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Salisu and DCC are both decent enough players they just evidently didn’t want to be here. 

yes I got Orsic wrong he was a poor signing, I thought he’d be decent, it happens. so didn’t the club, they didn’t sign him because they thought he was going to be crap and we’d have to flog him at a loss did they.  Because it didn’t work out doesn’t make you some master transfer guru. 

Which is worse than being sh*t, at least Moi and Walcott triedand wanted to be on the pitch.

Yes, you did get Orsic wrong. I though Mara and Aribo would be decent signings and what we were missing up front. Turns out none of us are infallible in our opinions and predictions, so maybe ease off on the sarcastic comments about what 'the forum experts' believe?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, LGTL said:

He hasn’t yet managed to offload any of the utter shite though,

How much are the "utter shite" getting paid at Saints, and how much do we value them at, as compared to what other teams might want to offer ? Perhaps Tall Paul is content to sit on his contract.

Then again, perhaps some of what we see as 'shite' the club sees as squad players.

Edited by badgerx16