Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Flexibility seems key to Martin. Assuming he won't want to be using Bree too much if he doesn't leave, wouldn't be all that surprising to be bringing in Johnson regardless of KWP. That said, wouldn't be surprising for someone to come in for KWP either. 

12 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

To @manji and all of 'cash sloshing about' mob who were saying the club was in great financial shape, even with relegation and didn't really need to sell that many players.

To date we have sold around £160m worth of players (with more to go today!)

and spent around £10m on new ones (4 loans, 2 free transfers and 1 player signing).

Yeah we know, you've made this point about 10000000 times during the transfer window.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Dig Dig said:

Flexibility seems key to Martin. Assuming he won't want to be using Bree too much if he doesn't leave, wouldn't be all that surprising to be bringing in Johnson regardless of KWP. That said, wouldn't be surprising for someone to come in for KWP either. 

Bree is available for loan, I believe.

Arsenal enquired about kwp a few weeks back, and Tottenham yesterday, just with the agent, no follow-up. Kwp is happy at Southampton, apparently

So any new player would be in place of Bree I presume 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Absolutely - no player goes from a PL reserve to a championship reserve. Throughout the window I've said that KWP or Tino will stay, but instinct says that he'll go today. Weirdly I think Man Utd will take him. 

the fabulous signing of Lee Molyneux from Everton in 2009 proves your statement incorrect.

AC Milan after Patson Daka. Hope that goes ahead as it would weaken Leicester further - even more so if Iheanacho goes too. Weren't Milan also in for Mara or was that just a rumour?

Personally if Onuachu and Ballard go, I'd be quite happy for Mara to stay. Yes he's done sod all so far but with AA better deeper/wider and uncertainty over Stewart's fitness, I'd be a lot more comfortable having a 3rd striker in who at least knows the club. Will we still bring another striker as a 4th? I don't think so - I think the club see AA as a striker. We shall see. Under 12 hours now...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Jacob from the Athletic being the main culprit saying we would be the championship team that would spend the most this summer. Just goes to show sometimes this isjust guess work

I'm not sure exactly what he said, but only Leicester, Leeds and Coventry have spent more than us this summer

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

the fabulous signing of Lee Molyneux from Everton in 2009 proves your statement incorrect.

Lol, nicely dug up from the barrel of absolute shite we signed back then!  It happens all the time players drop down expecting to be first choice but actually find it much harder in the championship than they expected

• Like 1

Surely any Che loan/contract extension will just be a FFP workaround - can’t see why he, us or Wolves would want this for anything other than that. 

If we were that desperate to get rid we’d have taken the 12mil from Everton or whatever Bournemouth offered. Imagine this will ensure us a decent fee, just deferred until next summer - seems to be all the rage this window. 

1 minute ago, a1ex2001 said:

Lol, nicely dug up from the barrel of absolute shite we signed back then!  It happens all the time players drop down expecting to be first choice but actually find it much harder in the championship than they expected

Ryan Smith was my favourite, Wotte said he was world class when we signed him, he was absolutely shite!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Jacob from the Athletic being the main culprit saying we would be the championship team that would spend the most this summer. Just goes to show sometimes this isjust guess work

If any of you assumed we’d spend anywhere near our incomings in a Championship window then Im sorry to say you’re a bit of a div

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

If any of you assumed we’d spend anywhere near our incomings in a Championship window then Im sorry to say you’re a bit of a div

I'm still fascinated by people being fascinated by how much we spend. Who gives a monkeys - it's all about having a decent squad to have a crack at promotion, and then not being stuck with inadequate players when we're back to the land of milk, honey and weekly defeats. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 12

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

to be fair Jacob Tanswell might be right, we would spend the most. £11m on Charles, £8m on Stewart, £5m on Roberts, that's nearly £25m plus loan fees, lets say £5m. takes us to £30m. Obviously no where near what we've brought in but wont be many spending that. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

To @manji and all of 'cash sloshing about' mob who were saying the club was in great financial shape, even with relegation and didn't really need to sell that many players.

To date we have sold around £160m worth of players (with more to go today!)

and spent around £10m on new ones (4 loans, 2 free transfers and 1 player signing).

You know as well as I do a lot of the players out were surplus to requirement. Didn’t want JWP to go but we won’t miss him. We owed him really. It’s good business practice as well. 
Was very impressed with Philip Parsons our new CEO at the fans forum. To remind you we have the January window and hopefully Promotion to prepare for. I’m surprised at you. Often disagreed with you but like Turkish you’ve been on here a long time. You’re talking like these strange newbies that have appeared recently that clearly have no idea how a business works.

Forchrissakes forget the sniping ( except for James Blunt ) for one day. Got the rest of the season for that.

Edited by manji

1 minute ago, manji said:

You know as well as I do a lot of the players out were surplus to requirement. Didn’t want JWP to go but we won’t miss him. We owed him really. It’s good business practice as well. 
Was very impressed with Philip Parsons our new CEO at the fans forum. To remind you we have the January window and hopefully Promotion to prepare for. I’m surprised at you. Often disagreed with you but like Turkish you’ve been on here a long time. You’re talking like these strange newbies that have appeared recently that clearly have no idea how a business works.

I was going to say the same about you Manji.  You always seemed quite sensible, even in the Lowe era, and realised the financial realities of being a plc that had to break even when the more moronic fans were talking about 'investment' - i.e. spending money we didn't have.

Given the mad spending of £160m to get relegated last season, coupled with being in a league with around £100m per season less revenues than the PL for a club of our size, we were always going to have to sell between £150m-£200m of players just to avoid the administration route we went down last time.

Anyone denying this would clearly have no idea how a business works.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Who needs to spend money when you can get quality loans in like Downes, THB, Fraser and Holgate...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

I was going to say the same about you Manji.  You always seemed quite sensible, even in the Lowe era, and realised the financial realities of being a plc that had to break even when the more moronic fans were talking about 'investment' - i.e. spending money we didn't have.

Given the mad spending of £160m to get relegated last season, coupled with being in a league with around £100m per season less revenues than the PL for a club of our size, we were always going to have to sell between £150m-£200m of players just to avoid the administration route we went down last time.

Anyone denying this would clearly have no idea how a business works.

I’m not going to repeat my theory about last season. If you remember Dragan admitted last season was a mess. He even admitted he took his eye off the ball and was going to be more proactive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What would you label people claiming we had no financial reason to sell anyone?

Why is it hard to understand that we didn't have to sell any particular player if we didn't get an appropriate price, but that sales overall were desirable given the dramatic loss of income. If KWP/Sulemana/Alcaraz etc end up staying then that just proves the point

• Like 1

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Why is it hard to understand that we didn't have to sell any particular player if we didn't get an appropriate price, but that sales overall were desirable given the dramatic loss of income. If KWP/Sulemana/Alcaraz etc end up staying then that just proves the point

We clearly did have to sell players as we had a massive wage bill, a huge drop in revenue and a deficit in money spent on fees

Other than that, we clearly did not need to sell....other than we are now pushing people out on loan.. All fine BTW, but please, the nonsense needs to stop

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We clearly did have to sell players as we had a massive wage bill, a huge drop in revenue and a deficit in money spent on fees

Other than that, we clearly did not need to sell....other than we are now pushing people out on loan.. All fine BTW, but please, the nonsense needs to stop

We're letting players leave on loan because they're not committed to the club, not because we desperately need the money. Again, the fact they're going on loan is because we don't need to drop our asking prices

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

From what appears a reputable source…. 15 mins ago…..Southampton forward Sekou Mara is in early talks about joining French giants Lille. The France Under-21s international is open to a move but it remains at an early stage. Lille reached the Conference League last night and need depth.

Interesting shift in our recruitment towards British players.

We could name a very strong team entirely of British/Irish players, arguably on Alcaraz would get in our strongest side.

Wonder when the last time we had a first team lineup with nobody outside UK/ROI - probably 20 years or more?

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Johnson is a back up full back for a Premier league team now, don't see why he'd drop a division to be a back up full back for a Championship team. He's the KWP replacement or not coming IMO.

KWP is going to happen bloody quickly and out of absolutely nowhere now, 12 hours to go and not a single link of him going away for the entire 8 weeks of the window. But still feels like he will go.

I agree. Johnson will be coming to play, not sit behind KWP. 

KWP was linked to Newcastle, Fulham and Arsenal. It would be no surprise if he departed today. The surprise to me is it hasn't happened before. I would suggest it's because we have said the price is £30m and thus any enquiries have been swift. Teams will have waited to see if they can get a deal. Hope they don't.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Not much point being at an early stage with only 11 hours and 45minutes until the window SLAMS shut

2 minutes ago, saint lard said:

From what appears a reputable source…. 15 mins ago…..Southampton forward Sekou Mara is in early talks about joining French giants Lille. The France Under-21s international is open to a move but it remains at an early stage. Lille reached the Conference League last night and need depth.