Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

14 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Football insider, so pinch of salt. Can't see it happening with their finances over the Che deal and having spent on Beto already

Show us the money and he's your's. My guess is they'll make some half baked offer to get him on the cheap and we'll tell them to do one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

FWIW I actually think Roberts fits us better tactically then Tella, Tella was of course a fantastic player for Burnley last year but effectively they played him through the middle when they attacked and used his pace to break the lines

We tend to have a slower build up, and so thats not an option so we need better technical players, and Roberts is fantastic technically

Overall I think Id rather have kept Tella but I think people being underwhelmed by Roberts is short sighted

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Football insider, so pinch of salt. Can't see it happening with their finances over the Che deal and having spent on Beto already

Show us the money and he's your's. My guess is they'll make some half baked offer to get him on the cheap and we'll tell them to do one.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Deadline day is media driven nonsense, 99% of what is being reported today is either made up or been in the works for weeks.

The chuckle brothers on SSN sensationalise everything to make it sound like clubs have just decided they want x or y.

I have to turn the tv over whenever that pair of idiots come on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

I have to turn the tv over whenever that pair of idiots come on.

I can't even watch it anymore. I used to stick deadline day on back in the old days, 2010-2013 ish, but they've made an absolute charade out of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, once_bitterne said:

To @manji and all of 'cash sloshing about' mob who were saying the club was in great financial shape, even with relegation and didn't really need to sell that many players.

To date we have sold around £160m worth of players (with more to go today!)

and spent around £10m on new ones (4 loans, 2 free transfers and 1 player signing).

We've got rid of those that don't want to be here, put the club on a sound financial footing and are building a squad good enough to challenge for the Championship. Great isn't it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

£30m would be an amazing fee for Sulemana

I have to say, at the start of the summer I never expected us to make a profit on him.

Thank god Liverpool put out their reserves and played like they were on holiday. The goals he scored in that game really will have helped give Everton (who probably wanted him themselves in January) confidence that he could do it at this level.

He could still become a £50m player. But not for us.   

• Like 1

A bit of a rollercoaster of a day, I will be pleased when the window shuts. I'm not sure how Saints play out today with the remaining prized assets, Che, KWP and potentially Sulemanna, or anyone else who maybe off that we haven't so far heard anything about. Bit of an awkward one, how do you replace players you aren't certain are going to leave? 

What keeps me going is I have absolute faith in our new regime, they seem to have a very clear and coordinated strategy, I haven't felt like this in a long time, unless you call buying to flip a strategy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Agreed, but would Ings ever drop to the Championship? Nah.

he might, but how on earth do you make the financials work? His wage is astronomical for a Championship club and he has two years left. Just can't see how it would work. Are any prem sides really interested in him? His wages will be too big for most of them too.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

he might, but how on earth do you make the financials work? His wage is astronomical for a Championship club and he has two years left. Just can't see how it would work. Are any prem sides really interested in him? His wages will be too big for most of them too.

Large loan fee or Hammers pay most of the wages? 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I think Everton are interested… but they seem interested in anything

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

I have to say, at the start of the summer I never expected us to make a profit on him.

Thank god Liverpool put out their reserves and played like they were on holiday. The goals he scored in that game really will have helped give Everton (who probably wanted him themselves in January) confidence that he could do it at this level.

If it's Everton, it'll be £30m spread over 60 years.

500k per year. I'll be dead by the time they pay it back.

• Haha 7

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I know it's not going to happen, but just imagine we did get him on loan as the Mara replacement. 

what a boost. Everyone at the club, the whole city would be energised I suspect, knowing we are going all in. dreaming...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

If it's Everton, it'll be £30m spread over 60 years.

500k per year. I'll be dead by the time they pay it back.

we should make them put the new stadium up as security. Would be nice to someday be their landlords.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ings has his bumper £120k a week contract weighing down any move elsewhere. West Ham might offset some of it but you can’t think they’d go 50/50 and loan him to a rival, and at 60k a week that’s out of championship club range. And I’m sure Ings won’t be taking a drop in pay to move elsewhere. Hard to see anyone wanting him who can afford him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

The potential is obvious but his end product has been so woeful that there has to be a doubt as to whether he has the footballing brain to fulfil it.

A season in the Championship would have done wonders for him but apparently his attitude isn't right either. 

I'd be happy just to get our money back

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Ings has his bumper £120k a week contract weighing down any move elsewhere. West Ham might offset some of it but you can’t think they’d go 50/50 and loan him to a rival, and at 60k a week that’s out of championship club range. And I’m sure Ings won’t be taking a drop in pay to move elsewhere. Hard to see anyone wanting him who can afford him.

If we had the chance to sign Ings for £60k per week and said no, I’d be amazed.

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

know it's a pipe dream and he'd probably be too expensive but I would definitely welcome him back.

He did have that fantastic season for us in 19/20 with 22 PL goals in 38 games, but in the last 2 seasons he has got 7 in 30 for Villa (Adams got 7 in 30 for us) and 8 in 35 for Villa/WHU (Adams got 5 in 28 for us). I'm sure he would do well in the Championship, but his recent form in the PL has hardly been exceptional.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Toussaint said:
1:02pm

MARTIN ON STEWART 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Sky Sports are reporting that Sunderland striker Stewart is currently undergoing his medical at Saints.

A medical usually takes 8 hours, Sky said he travelled down last night

5 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

If we had the chance to sign Ings for £60k per week and said no, I’d be amazed.

I think the last article I read said West Ham wanted a fee for him. I can't see them getting a fee and someone paying/matching all his wages.  Never gonna happen.

1 minute ago, James G said:

A medical usually takes 8 hours, Sky said he travelled down last night

8 hours. Does that mean most deadline day moves are all actually agreed the day before? Or do some moves happen without a medical? 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

8 hours. Does that mean most deadline day moves are all actually agreed the day before? Or do some moves happen without a medical? 

I think last minute deals are often signed with the caveat that they are 'pending a medical exam'. I can't think of any that have subsequently fallen through, but I'm sure there have been a few over the years since the transfer window system was introduced.