Saints 0-1 Cherries - Match Thread

SotonianWill

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

I hope so, he's as dreadful as some of ours.

I don't think we'd have been any worse with him instead of our other choices this season. He actually looked like he cared and put in some fight , compare that to Salisu who has gone AWOL 

• Like 2

We're where we deserve to be...

"At the start of April, there were only four points separating Crystal Palace in 12th and bottom-of-the-table Southampton - the least amount of points between the teams 12th and 20th at that stage of the season in Premier League history....The gap between 12th-placed Crystal Palace and bottom side Saints is now 13 points"

Premier League relegation: Which teams will drop into Championship? - BBC Sport

Che fit according to Selles' presser. Bednarek will be a late call due to the concussion. Livramento and Salisu not ready. 

Team pretty much picks itself in my eyes, but I'm sure there'll be a surprise inclusion or two.

Bazunu
KWP - DCC - ABK - Perraud
Lavia - JWP
Walcott - Alcaraz - Sulemana
Che

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Che fit according to Selles' presser. Bednarek will be a late call due to the concussion. Livramento and Salisu not ready. 

Team pretty much picks itself in my eyes, but I'm sure there'll be a surprise inclusion or two.

Bazunu
Lavia - JWP
Che

I'd swap McCarthy for Bazunu, and Bednarek for DCC (if fit) but agree with the rest of it. Maybe S. Armstrong on for Theo later in the game.
Ive also just watched the Bournemouth v West Ham highlights, and didnt realise that all 4 goals came from crosses into the box and awful defending, so maybe Tall Paul has a  role to play in this one?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I'd swap McCarthy for Bazunu, and Bednarek for DCC (if fit) but agree with the rest of it. Maybe S. Armstrong on for Theo later in the game.
Ive also just watched the Bournemouth v West Ham highlights, and didnt realise that all 4 goals came from crosses into the box and awful defending, so maybe Tall Paul has a  role to play in this one?

Oh trust me, I would as well! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

We're where we deserve to be...

"At the start of April, there were only four points separating Crystal Palace in 12th and bottom-of-the-table Southampton - the least amount of points between the teams 12th and 20th at that stage of the season in Premier League history....The gap between 12th-placed Crystal Palace and bottom side Saints is now 13 points"

Premier League relegation: Which teams will drop into Championship? - BBC Sport

Such statistics are meaningless. Palace have had a good run and shouldn't be compared with just one specific team especially since three points of that jump in difference are down to them beating us.

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Bazunu
Lavia - JWP
Che

If we really want to have a go ,that is the team to be honest. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Bazunu
Lavia - JWP
Che

That team wins this game comfortably. We'll actually have someone up front who can hold the ball up for a change.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Not sure I see the sense in throwing Che straight back in from the start given he’s been injured. Start onachu and then use Che from the bench.

I see what you mean but I'd much rather have Che starting at this stage of the season regardless of whether he's had games under his belt. If he's fit enough to make the squad he must play.

6 hours ago, St Louis said:

I bet Selles hasn’t taken note.

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Will you still be saying that if we beat Bournmuff and Newcastle?

Well, yes I will. Of course I will.

Forest have got 30 points.

You do know we definitely need more than that to stay up, right?

Beat those 2 and we're on 30 and we would still be bottom three in two games time regardless of whether Forest won or not tonight.

The rest of the league are not just going to roll over and let us stay up.

Edited by CB Fry

Just now, CB Fry said:

Well, yes I will. Of course I will.

Forest have got 30 points.

You do know we definitely need more than that to stay up, right?

Beat them and we're on 30 and we would still be bottom three in two games time regardless of whether Forest won or not.

The rest of the league are not just going to roll over and let us stay up.

That wasn't my point. Of course I know we need more than 30 points. Am just interested to understand why you think we are certainties to still go down if we keep winning games? Unlikely I know, but we could win our last six games, I think 42 points should do it. We are still in with a shout, why not hope until its not math possible?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That wasn't my point. Of course I know we need more than 30 points. Am just interested to understand why you think we are certainties to still go down if we keep winning games? Unlikely I know, but we could win our last six games, I think 42 points should do it. We are still in with a shout, why not hope until its not math possible?

If you think we are going to win six in a row, why do you care if Forest won tonight then?

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I didn't say I think we will win six in a row, I just stated we aren't mathematically relegated yet. 

Fine, good for you. I'm glad we agree that the Forest result tonight is completely irrelevant then because we weren't mathmatically relegated at kick off and we still aren't now 👍👍👍

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Fine, good for you. I'm glad we agree that the Forest result tonight is completely irrelevant then because we weren't mathmatically relegated at kick off and we still aren't now 👍👍👍

By your logic, every game played is irrelevant. Was City's win against Arsenal irrelevant? As they didn't win the title off the back of that win? 

21 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

"If we keep winning games" - assume you meant "if we start winning games" - we have been total shit for weeks now. 

Win 6 and get to 42 points - what planet are you on, we've only won 6 all season.......

Move on - we're gone and have been for some time. 

• Like 4

I've had us relegated since Christmas, nothing I've seen since gives me any hope that I've been wrong.  To think that we will suddenly start winning games is naive in the extreme,  I doubt we'll manage to beat Bournemouth tomorrow. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Of course it was relevant. Had forest lost and we win tomorrow, we'd have been 3pts behind them. If others around us fail to pick up points, then less points could see us stay up. Bleeding obvious isn't it. Eg Arsenal imploding the past few games.

I will agree that it's highly unlikely we'll stay up though.

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

By your logic, every game played is irrelevant. Was City's win against Arsenal irrelevant? As they didn't win the title off the back of that win? 

Manchester City are going to win the league because of all the matches they have won, themselves. Not because of other teams dropping points. It's not difficult.

8 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

"If we keep winning games" - assume you meant "if we start winning games" - we have been total shit for weeks now. 

Win 6 and get to 42 points - what planet are you on, we've only won 6 all season.......

Move on - we're gone and have been for some time. 

Fair enough. All I'm saying is we aren't mathematically down yet.

3 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Of course it was relevant. Had forest lost and we win tomorrow, we'd have been 3pts behind them. If others around us fail to pick up points, then less points could see us stay up. Bleeding obvious isn't it. Eg Arsenal imploding the past few games.

I will agree that it's highly unlikely we'll stay up though.

It's irrelevant.

On August 1st 2022 we needed [at least] 36 points to stay up, and we still do today.

Edited by CB Fry

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

You’re talking bullshit and you probably know it. What he meant was if Brighton had bothered to turn up and won, we’d have gone above Forest if we beat Bournemouth tomorrow. So it does matter.

I mean we’re almost certainly going down anyway, but it’s still bullshit. 

1 minute ago, LaptopSaint said:

You’re talking bullshit and you probably know it. What he meant was if Brighton had bothered to turn up and won, we’d have gone above Forest if we beat Bournemouth tomorrow. So it does matter.

I mean we’re almost certainly going down anyway, but it’s still bullshit. 

You realise three teams go down right?

It's not a play off between us and Forest.

Forest can lose all their remaining games 10-0 and it doesn't stop us going down.

I wonder how many of those teams currently in 17th and above worry about whether Saints will overtake them. It'd be extraordinary for a team with Saints dismal record this season to add even 6 more points to their measly total in the remaining 6 games.

Do yourself a favour and start to live with the certainty of relegation.

• Like 4

We can win tomorrow.

All relegated teams win some games.

Burnley won 8 last season.

Sheffield United 7 before that.

Bournemouth 9 and Watford 8 season before.

Cardiff 10 and Fulham 7 before that.

So yes we can win tomorrow.

We've been incapable of going on any run of form whatsoever, and there's nothing to suggest that will change. Think we may edge it 1-0 tomorrow, but it's fairly irrelevant and we won't be winning at Newcastle on sunday whilst others pick up points over the weekend. We will be going into the Forest game 7 points from safety and some people will still be exploring possibilities of what could happen 'if we just win our last 4 games'. Just give it up, we've been down for months and just been lucky to have some poor sides around us. There's been no point where we have looked like, or even come close to overtaking them in the table.

• Like 2

Really intrigued as to who is going down with us. Every time it seems another side is as dead and buried as us they pull off a result. Would like it to be Everton for the financial implosion of the club and the crying from the dugout pioneers. A Bournemouth win tomorrow will guarantee survival for them surely.

I cannot believe anyone would think we can still stay up.  We have been doomed for months - this is one of the worst Saints teams (and squads) I can ever remember (going back to the 70s).  In years gone by (when we were at the Dell) we nearly always struggled but had a team with heart that always tried.  This lot are like the lion and tinman from Wizard of Oz combined: no heart and no courage.

And we are pathetically weak in front of goal and in defence.  Anyone bigging up Che Adams is nuts: some of his misses have been quite incredible.

I think we will struggle in the Championship next year and have no confidence in SR suddenly getting their decisions right after so many epic failures.

• Like 5

It was obvious we were going down when we played Brighton at home after the world cup.  Just on different planets with that performance.

Had we hired a proper manager instead of Jones, we would have had a fighting chance, compared to this mess.

With rasmus in charge, I have zero expectations of promotion next season.  Just by the players we will retain and the financial imbalance in our favour next year, we will probably fight it out for top 6

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You realise three teams go down right?

It's not a play off between us and Forest.

Forest can lose all their remaining games 10-0 and it doesn't stop us going down.

Being devils advocate, but so could Everton, Leicester. Which would have made last nights game relevant , especially if we missed out on survival by 3 points to Forest.

40 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Being devils advocate, but so could Everton, Leicester. Which would have made last nights game relevant , especially if we missed out on survival by 3 points to Forest.

For a start Everton still have Leicester to play so it's impossible for all of them to lose all of their games.

If your devil's advocate scenario is three teams lose all their remaining games and none of them get more than 30 points but Saints still don't get more than 30 either and go down then that's a ridiculous scenario that isn't going to happen. The team in 17th will have more than 30. If we can only get 30 points we will deservedly go down.

We are not going to relegated just because boo hoo Forest beat Brighton.

This is the fundamental problem with those people that are just willing every other team to lose themselves to our safety. It's not how it works, Saints actually have to do their part.

The point is three teams go down, its not a play off between us and Forest. Forest winning a match last night is irrelevant.

The point is to stay up we need ourselves to get significantly mote points than Forest have now, so them being on 30 today is irrelevant because we need more than 30.

We needed more than 30 before Forest kicked off last night. We needed more than 30 on August 1st 2022.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Cherries - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic